BlackBerry has 8.9% in market share in Canada for the year of 2015 according to comScore. I think BlackBerry should focus on growing that to 10% and growing the global market share to 1% or just simply growing it to a higher number... 1% market share is like 3.5 million units and is a little more realistic than 10 million units. But I'll bet the 10 million is not Chen's real line in the sand and it's actually quite a bit smaller.
    BlackBerry's and Microsoft's decline to oblivion had nothing to do with lack of concentration. The products weren't compelling because of the almost complete lack of ecosystems. Hindsight is 20/20, but neither company had a hope.

Hopefully BlackBerry can make a case to enterprise with a secured-android, but we know that market isn't very large.
    07-19-16 08:12 AM
    BlackBerry's and Microsoft's decline to oblivion had nothing to do with lack of concentration. The products weren't compelling because of the almost complete lack of ecosystems. Hindsight is 20/20, but neither company had a hope.

Hopefully BlackBerry can make a case to enterprise with a secured-android, but we know that market isn't very large.
    Too be honest... Microsoft's fumbling around with ten different versions of Windows mobile/phone over the last 10 years...most not compatible with the previous or the next version. Is probably an even bigger mistake than BlackBerry's late to the party move with B10. Microsoft IS a software company... they probably dumped three times the number of resources into Windows Mobile/Phone.

At least BlackBerry launched something in 2013... and stuck with it a few years. Too late and with nothing to show for it but the loss of a few Billion dollars... but not bad compared to MS.
    07-19-16 02:40 PM
    Too be honest... Microsoft's fumbling around with ten different versions of Windows mobile/phone over the last 10 years...most not compatible with the previous or the next version. Is probably an even bigger mistake than BlackBerry's late to the party move with B10. Microsoft IS a software company... they probably dumped three times the number of resources into Windows Mobile/Phone.

At least BlackBerry launched something in 2013... and stuck with it a few years. Too late and with nothing to show for it but the loss of a few Billion dollars... but not bad compared to MS.
    Windows Mobile OS was backwards compatible with previous versions of the OS to some extent (apps for example), same with BlackBerry OS IIRC.

Both Microsoft and BlackBerry made mistakes by launching Windows Phone 7 and BB10 respectively without any sort of backwards compatibility. They basically went from rich app ecosystems to 0 practically overnight.
    acovey likes this.
    07-19-16 05:41 PM
    Are we sure that Android is value bearer?
    We don't know. Chen seems to think it's worth another shot or two.

One thing seems obvious to me. If (worst case) making Android phones is like taking a match to a pile of cash, then making BB10 phones is like taking a flamethrower to that pile.

At the end of the day, though, if Android is burning money, even at a much slower rate, Chen still has to shut it down.
    JeepBB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    07-19-16 06:00 PM
    I would buy another bb10 device but I don't have much hopes for this

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Classic
    07-20-16 06:49 AM
    I would LOVE to by another BB10 PKB phone!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-20-16 07:18 AM
    Windows Mobile OS was backwards compatible with previous versions of the OS to some extent (apps for example), same with BlackBerry OS IIRC.

Both Microsoft and BlackBerry made mistakes by launching Windows Phone 7 and BB10 respectively without any sort of backwards compatibility. They basically went from rich app ecosystems to 0 practically overnight.
    It always confused me why BB10 wasn't backwards compatible. Probably wanted to encourage BB10 app development but they had a chance to start a new OS with as you say a rich ecosystem. Even now I've found apps that are useful and I want but only available for BBOS7. I think a lot of devs didn't have the motivation to develop another app and just abandon the whole thing.
    07-20-16 07:59 AM
    It always confused me why BB10 wasn't backwards compatible. Probably wanted to encourage BB10 app development but they had a chance to start a new OS with as you say a rich ecosystem. Even now I've found apps that are useful and I want but only available for BBOS7. I think a lot of devs didn't have the motivation to develop another app and just abandon the whole thing.
    A BBOS runtime was in the pipe, but if I remember Losing the Signal correctly, time, money and resource constraints meant that one of the Android runtime or the BBOS runtime could make it into the PlayBook. The former was chosen because of its strength and future potential compared to BBOS.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    07-20-16 11:34 AM
    There is a lot of pent up demand for an all touch BB10 device for people to upgrade their millions of Z10s.

There is zero pent up demand for a new Android BlackBerry. It's like pouring a dixie cup of water into the ocean.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 11:55 AM
    All I want for Christmas is a VKB Passport running BB10
    07-21-16 12:01 PM
    There is a lot of pent up demand for an all touch BB10 device for people to upgrade their millions of Z10s.

In my opinion, there is zero pent up demand for a new Android BlackBerry. It's like pouring a dixie cup of water into the ocean.

Posted via CB10
    FIFY. Plenty of CrackBerry members want a new Android BlackBerry phone. I'm one of them, so you cannot claim there is zero demand.
    bakron1 likes this.
    07-21-16 12:03 PM

There is zero pent up demand for a new Android BlackBerry. It's like pouring a dixie cup of water into the ocean.

Posted via CB10
    Please provide statistical evidence.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-21-16 12:43 PM
    It has basic Apps, it's the social media crap that it's missing

Posted via CB10
    Actually there are a lot of business based apps that are in no way shape or form social media crap that it doesn't have.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-21-16 01:51 PM
    Please provide statistical evidence.
    I have to use my gut instinct since I do not have the means to collect the data. I did learn yesterday that my former assistant finally upgraded her Z10. She bought an Android. If you told her that BlackBerry makes a giant monstrosity of an Android cell phone that would not fit in her purse much less her pocket, she would say she had no idea and would never spend that much anyway. She also would say she had no idea BlackBerry is still in business.

Chen should have this sort of data but I suspect he does not. He goes by his gut. Like in naming the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 02:36 PM
    I have to use my gut instinct since I do not have the means to collect the data. I did learn yesterday that my former assistant finally upgraded her Z10. She bought an Android. If you told her that BlackBerry makes a giant monstrosity of an Android cell phone that would not fit in her purse much less her pocket, she would say she had no idea and would never spend that much anyway. She also would say she had no idea BlackBerry is still in business.

Chen should have this sort of data but I suspect he does not. He goes by his gut. Like in naming the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    So n=1 ?
    07-21-16 02:44 PM
    So n=1 ?
    Obviously... Chen needs to stop producing BlackBerry phones, since he lost that one customer.
    07-21-16 03:45 PM
    Based on the past sales figures of OS10 devices, I would think the next device would be an all touch low cost Android based device with a hardened kernel like the Priv.

But now it's a wait and see game as to if and/or when it will be released.
    07-21-16 03:55 PM
    So n=1 ?
    No, the data is the millions of Z10s and other BB10 phones in circulation versus the 100K Privs that have been sold.

Other data are the comments from diehards on this site. Where is the website with diehard Priv fans?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 04:02 PM
    No, the data is the millions of Z10s and other BB10 phones in circulation versus the 100K Privs that have been sold.

Other data are the comments from diehards on this site. Where is the website with diehard Priv fans?

Posted via CB10
    The fact that BB10 sales bottomed out and they decided to move on is a completely separate issue from the potential success / failure of the Android experiment. It's not like it's Android or BB10 - it's Android or nothing.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-21-16 04:10 PM
    Seriously? There aren't enough people in the world who want a PKB device to make the manufacture of such devices worthwhile?

999 out of every 1000 people who buy a phone do so for the number of apps available for it?
    07-21-16 04:47 PM
    Seriously? There aren't enough people in the world who want a PKB device to make the manufacture of such devices worthwhile?

999 out of every 1000 people who buy a phone do so for the number of apps available for it?
    A pkb phone with BB10 on it? Obviously not. Unfortunately.
    07-21-16 04:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Statistically there is a greater probability of people that want android phone over BB10 phone. The problem with PRIV was both form and price. Nobody, except for a couple thousand like you, want a crippled BB10 phone with old ART, let alone a few more thousand if ART could be updated to 5 or 6. Even if they could produce a Z99, they couldn't sell 10 million+ to hit profitability. Besides, startup costs would require more than 10 million devices and they don't have cash for parts and people let alone the advertising. Face it BB10 told everybody they were breaking up. It's over. Let it go. The new android devices are gambles, but they're worth the risk that BB10 never was.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-21-16 05:06 PM
    A pkb phone with BB10 on it? Obviously not. Unfortunately.
    We can go in circles. There is a contingent on this site that believes that BB10 could have been successful if people knew that it existed. By and large, people don't.

My point is that when BlackBerry could choose between updating runtime and developing BB10 further or abandoning BB10 for Android, it chose stupidly. They should not have panicked. They should have stayed the course and released follow up devices. Like Microsoft with the Surface and countless other manufacturers of all sorts of product lines.

They traded an app problem for a much bigger one.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 05:23 PM
    What's the point? They already killed their relationship with app developers. Android runtime is on its last legs.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 05:30 PM
    We can go in circles. There is a contingent on this site that believes that BB10 could have been successful if people knew that it existed. By and large, people don't.

My point is that when BlackBerry could choose between updating runtime and developing BB10 further or abandoning BB10 for Android, it chose stupidly. They should not have panicked. They should have stayed the course and released follow up devices. Like Microsoft with the Surface and countless other manufacturers of all sorts of product lines.

They traded an app problem for a much bigger one.

Posted via CB10
    Stay the course like Microsoft with what now amounts to 0.7% market share after spending many billions of dollars on advertising and developers?

Why would BlackBerry stay the course after looking at this:

Plus updating the ART wouldn't have helped much because of the impossibility of ever being granted Google Play Services - which more and more apps require.

Once again, because perhaps you missed my comment, this is NOT about BB10 or Android, this is about Android or Nothing.
    Bbnivende and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-21-16 05:33 PM
364 ... 23456 ...