BlackBerry should develop devices that can have options to run Android or BB10. Same hardware and same specs so it potentially doubles it's market (which isn't much for bb) this in turn allows the device to be produced in greater mass which brings down manufacturing costs so they can bring down the price.

The units should turn on the first time asking if you want to run BB10 or Android from a reserved partition and then go ahead and install the chosen OS. If you want to switch do so by resetting the device which prompts the option again. Not complicated at all and no need to run two OS at the same time, just one or the other.

Not sure if there is some obscure Google requirement that prevent this and BB would have to fork over the money to develop BB10 drivers but this really is the best strategy of uniquely being able to double dip markets but only develop one phone. BB can advertise each device as they want for BB market, Android market or both. Some may work better on BB like 1:1 displays and some on Android but the devices should be developed together but in the end let the EU choose. This should also be retroactive for all BB10 devices.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-14-16 09:11 AM
    This is damage control that's all it is, no one will touch a bb10 device without even the basic apps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-14-16 09:19 AM
    There are plenty of scenarios where a new BB10 device (or devices) could make sense. If Android continues to be a flop...rather than killing the hardware division entirely, they could always say that no one ever really ruled out making another BB10 device and the market had spoken on the Android option. Keep the OS as is, other than tweaks for new hardware and perhaps a browser update. Secondly, if new Android devices are either break-even or modestly successful, it might make a case to re-invest in BB10 to prop up the hardware strategy...a case could be made for example, if even older outdated BB10 products continued to outsell Android devices and were still contributing significantly to the hardware division bottom line. Since the new BlackBerry strategy is to outsource hardware it would really just be a matter of developing drivers for the hardware...all the rest of the design would basically be done already, including a secure and (hopefully) newly certified OS bundled into a new secure end-to-end hardware solution.
    07-14-16 10:28 AM
    This is damage control that's all it is, no one will touch a bb10 device without even the basic apps.

It has basic Apps, it's the social media crap that it's missing

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 10:36 AM
    it's very possible that they had a BB10 device in the pipeline for a while now. Will they release it? I highly doubt it
    07-14-16 10:58 AM
    it's very possible that they had a BB10 device in the pipeline for a while now. Will they release it? I highly doubt it
    The last BB10 device I remember that was scheduled but didn't release in some form was the Ontario, and that predated John Chen.
    07-14-16 11:07 AM
    Not sure if there is some obscure Google requirement that prevent this .
    It's not obscure - King Google doesn't allow it - as a powerless serf and small-time Android OEM, BBRY's only response to King Google's commands is to slowly backward looking at the floor while praising the king.
    07-14-16 11:08 AM
    They should have kept pushing BB10 or killed hardware. Android BB phone is more a show case/POC then something that actually makes money. If Samsung came to BB and said, 'Hey we like this keyboard, what the cost on the IP' then the Android phone is a success.

It is a shame that BB10 isnt being developed, I need a new phone soon.
    07-14-16 12:04 PM
    99% of those app freaks carry one phone, and its not a Blackberry. Less than 1% of smartphone sales is not going to save BB10.
    You know...funny enough, it would. Smartphone sales this year are projected to be over 1 Billion, with a B. 1% would be 10 million, probably more than half over what BB would need to do one BB10 device per year at sustainable sales levels. Assuming they can make enough per device, etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 05:00 PM
    They should have kept pushing BB10 or killed hardware. Android BB phone is more a show case/POC then something that actually makes money. If Samsung came to BB and said, 'Hey we like this keyboard, what the cost on the IP' then the Android phone is a success.

It is a shame that BB10 isnt being developed, I need a new phone soon.
    You have not noticed that Samsung sells millions of Galaxy and Note phones without keyboards??? They make all-touch phones because the consumer market buys them.

Pkbs are a nightmare for manufacturers - they need many different keyboards for the different countries/alphabets. Samsung (and Apple) are very smart to only focus on all-touch phones.
    07-14-16 05:09 PM
    I would come back to BlackBerry if they built something worth buying on BB10. I hated the priv and that sent me over to Samsung 7SEdge. I love the edge but would love a hard keyboard. I have a black , white and silver passport and a classic. My problem is they are now long in the tooth and I like something new all the time I don't keep phones more than a year. So hears to getting a new device from BlackBerry that's hot I can't wait to get one!!

Passport doesn't seem long in the tooth by any stretch, not yet. What did you dislike about the Priv?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 05:11 PM
    You know...funny enough, it would. Smartphone sales this year are projected to be over 1 Billion, with a B. 1% would be 10 million, probably more than half over what BB would need to do one BB10 device per year at sustainable sales levels. Assuming they can make enough per device, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Assuming that 1% was actually going to buy a BlackBerry, which has not happened. Did Blackberry even sell 1 million phones this year? No? What? BlackBerry is selling less than 0.3%? Next year, BlackBerry might even sell less than what they sell this year?

Very hard to predict, but I think 1% is not going to happen.
    07-14-16 05:14 PM
    Blackberry is on pace to sell about 2.5 million phones this year. I think they would need upwards of 5 million as a rough number for another BB10 release, *unless* it was highly specific to corporate and had specs old enough to keep the cost in their ballpark. Like the Classic, which they just said they're done with. The whole problem is keeping the cost low enough for low sales numbers, which is too bad. There's probably a guaranteed, built in few-hundred-thousand BB10 sales from CB and people in our ilk per release, but obviously that's not enough.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 12:42 AM
    You have not noticed that Samsung sells millions of Galaxy and Note phones without keyboards??? They make all-touch phones because the consumer market buys them.

Pkbs are a nightmare for manufacturers - they need many different keyboards for the different countries/alphabets. Samsung (and Apple) are very smart to only focus on all-touch phones.
    Not only different key boards but they are a nightmare to build and maintain. This horse left the barn years ago. Just enjoy your phone, BTW the OS 10 system for being so outdated and the phones the same way, hold their own pretty good. Just goes to prove a fine engineered product can last a lifetime. (In tech terms)
    07-15-16 07:07 AM
    Things can change in the blink of an eye. If they can update the Android run time to work without a flaw, they have chips on the table.

I still believe OS 10 beats the I phone system and android. It's a great system.

Take the classic design and beef it up. Add horsepower. It's a great design. Make it the flagship and start advertising with major start endorsements.

I have a classic, and it is a beauty. Make a new one with new elements. Make it pretty. Make the keys light with the colors of your choice. But leverage the design. The classic form is so attractive. Feels so good in the hand.

Posted via CB10
    danfrancisco likes this.
    07-17-16 10:34 AM
    Can not have a square screen or updated run time if they stick with Android on their other devices. .
    07-17-16 12:37 PM
    Can not have a square screen or updated run time if they stick with Android on their other devices. .
    If I remember correctly, if BlackBerry increased the runtime to 4.4 or higher, they needed to display something on the boot screen. (powered by android) or something to that effect. Which is why they didn't increase it.

I may be wrong. Also, Android does not support a 'Square' screen. So all qwerty devices will have to be a bit longer like the 'Rome' is.. or BlackBerry would have to make more sliders

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    07-17-16 02:49 PM
    Blackberry is on pace to sell about 2.5 million phones this year. I think they would need upwards of 5 million as a rough number for another BB10 release,

In a world of 7 billion people, 10 million devices sold in a year = 0.14% market share in order to be profitable.

Not a lot to ask for.
    07-18-16 07:00 AM
    In a world of 7 billion people, 10 million devices sold in a year = 0.14% market share in order to be profitable.

Not a lot to ask for.
    Based on the last three years... I'd say it is a whole lot to ask for. Becuase there are dozen's of other OEMs out there all fighting for that same small pool of people who will buy a smartphone in the coming year.

And BlackBerry simply isn't in a position to do the things that it would take to be competitive... Everything cost money, and BlackBerry just doesn't have the cash to stick with BB10.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    07-18-16 07:54 AM
    BlackBerry does not sell many phones in the world's biggest markets. You never know though, PKB phones could stage a bit of a comeback.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 09:33 AM

Not a lot to ask for.
    Market share doesn't work that way. You can only take from the pie that you have but your taking from the whole bakery! I think the total number of shipped cell phones for 2016-Q1 is closer to 350 million (not 7 billion) so BB's slice of the pie would have to be closer to 3% assuming they do in fact sell 10 million units. This is a very ambitious goal especially since their 2016-Q1 market share is 0.4% and personally I think it's a bluff.
    07-18-16 12:14 PM
    Market share doesn't work that way. You can only take from the pie that you have but your taking from the whole bakery! I think the total number of shipped cell phones for 2016-Q1 is closer to 350 million (not 7 billion) so BB's slice of the pie would have to be closer to 3% assuming they do in fact sell 10 million units. This is a very ambitious goal especially since their 2016-Q1 market share is 0.4% and personally I think it's a bluff.
    You're right. Last quarter had Microsoft at 0.7% and BlackBerry at 0.2% (during that quarter).
    07-18-16 12:50 PM
    It makes no sense - BB10 is the value destroyer - it's cost billions and never turned a cent in profit.
    Are we sure that Android is value bearer?

Because sellings numbers of Priv show the opposite...

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 07:03 AM
    Are we sure that Android is value bearer?

Because sellings numbers of Priv show the opposite...

Posted via CB10
    Did I claim that android is a value creator for BBRY?

If X costs you billions and never turns a profit and you try Y and it never turns a profit, the answer is to do something new not throw more money onto the bonfire by going back to X.

The problem with going back to X is that the infrastructure simply doesn't exist at BBRY anymore to do it - the software teams were run down, the developer tools went EOL - there are various reasons why they keen to be an Android OEM.
    JeepBB and Coachbulldog like this.
    07-19-16 07:52 AM
    You're right. Last quarter had Microsoft at 0.7% and BlackBerry at 0.2% (during that quarter).
    BlackBerry has 8.9% in market share in Canada for the year of 2015 according to comScore. I think BlackBerry should focus on growing that to 10% and growing the global market share to 1% or just simply growing it to a higher number... 1% market share is like 3.5 million units and is a little more realistic than 10 million units. But I'll bet the 10 million is not Chen's real line in the sand and it's actually quite a bit smaller.
    07-19-16 08:03 AM
364 12345 ...