Hi everyone,

Currently, I have no blackberry. I've toyed around with the one my wife has for work and that's about it. My carrier is Verizon, and I'm due for an upgrade on my phone.

I looked at the Blackberry Storm - not interested in another touch screen phone. Had way too many issues with the Verizon Voyager (I'm on my 3rd Voyager phone because of a number of different issues).

My wife has the latest Curve - which is quite nice and was the phone I was going to get. But I have just noticed the Blackberry Bold, which also looks quite nice and as I understand it - will work with iTunes.

My first question is, if if I had to choose, should I wait for the Bold from Verizon? Or should I just get the Curve? I will want to use it for email, web browsing, picture taking, music, google maps, GPS, etc.

Also - I have noticed posts about "unlocking" the phones - I'm new to this so please bear with me...but what is the advantage to "unlocking" the phone?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
    11-02-08 11:23 AM
    Bold is strictly for Att for 3 months, and you cant unlock an att one and use it on verizon. verizon is cdma and att is gsm.
    11-02-08 11:25 AM
    1. The bold coming to Verizon wont be for atleast another year or so, the verizon or and CDMA curve for that matter is a very good device, significantly more memory then other curves and it has EVDO which is fast internet.

2. Unlocking phone is for GSM carriers like Tmobile or ATT, CDMA phones like verizon and sprint are unlockable except for their World Edition Phones which have the ability to use a sim card which makes it unlockable but only for use over seas.

Welcome to CB!
    11-02-08 11:28 AM
    Hurry up and join the fun!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 11:36 AM
    The curve is a great device, but why not try the storm? It is not even remotely close to being the voyager, and it is suppose to be a great device.

That being said, the curve is an amazing phone. I have had mine since the beginning of July, and I will never own another phone that is not a blackberry. Nothing about it is ordinary. I love the keyboard, the fact that it is well built, and reliable. The best part, the battery life!

The bold won't be out on verizon for at least a year. So it is really not worth waiting for. You can't unlock it for verizon either, since the bold is a GSM device, and Verizon uses CDMA phones.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Welcome to Crackberry .

11-02-08 11:38 AM
    hahaha, this guy is gonna have the same answer worded fifty different ways. i love it
    11-02-08 11:39 AM
    LOL - Thanks guys...So, the Bold for Verizon apparently has no release date? I've seen anywhere from 3 months to a year exclusive on ATT. Bummer.

How is the Curve in regards to music files and battery life? I'm assuming that I can't hook it up to my iTunes since that seems to be a feature for the Bold.

If the Bold is going to be more than 4-6 months to come to Verizon, then I'll just get the Curve in the next week or so. I have the patience to wait a couple of months, but anything more than that I think is out the window.
    11-02-08 11:41 AM
    Really depends on if you want a hardware keyboard or not. Typing on a software keyboard is not something I can live with. I tried pretty much every software keyboard I could when I had a PPC and just didn't like the lack of tactile feedback. Try them out at Verizon once the storm is available and decide which you prefer. I wouldn't wait for what device comes next to Verizon, I bet it will be quite a while.

11-02-08 11:45 AM
    id just go with a curve. may take a while for the Bold on Verizon
    11-02-08 11:45 AM
    The curve is a great device, but why not try the storm? It is not even remotely close to being the voyager, and it is suppose to be a great device.

That being said, the curve is an amazing phone. I have had mine since the beginning of July, and I will never own another phone that is not a blackberry. Nothing about it is ordinary. I love the keyboard, the fact that it is well built, and reliable. The best part, the battery life!

The bold won't be out on verizon for at least a year. So it is really not worth waiting for. You can't unlock it for verizon either, since the bold is a GSM device, and Verizon uses CDMA phones.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Welcome to Crackberry .

Well, ignoring my last post (Christ you guys reply quickly here! - LOL), I will most likely get the Curve then.

Please pardon my ignorance..But I've seen a lot of abbreviations...CDMA, GSM, EVDO...Can someone help a brother out and point me to a post where I can play catch up or please explain that to me?

And to get back to my other question - so I won't be able to unlock my Curve once I get it unless I get the World Edition, is that correct? Since I'm not jet setting off to Italy or even Canada for that matter - is there any point to getting the World Edition phone? And really - aside from the iPhone for various applications and software - is there any point to people jailbreaking the regular edition Curve, or is that not possible?

Sorry if I'm missing the most obvious answers.
    11-02-08 11:48 AM
    There truly is a Blackberry suited for just about everyone. I'd just take into consideration a few things:

How big do you want your phone to be? If you're into a smaller sized phone, perhaps a Pearl would be right for you. Don't let it's size fool you. The Pearl is a fantastic device and has many of the same capabilities and features as it's bigger brothers.

If size isn't an issue, and you don't want to wait around for the Bold, and the idea of a touch screen is a little scary to you (I'm with you on that one, but because I'm the planet's biggest klutz), the Curve is a very sleek, very powerful device. I've been rocking one since the summer and it is hands-down my favorite phone EVER...and I've tried everything.

The Storm looks like it's going to be an amazing device. I almost wish I wasn't on T-Mo for this one.

In terms of what you were mentioning that you were looking for in a phone, the Curve seems like it would fit your needs quite nicely, and a nice way to hold you over until a Bold is released on a CDMA carrier like Verizon.

If memory serves me correctly from lurking around these parts for a long time, the GPS features are an add-on through Verizon data plans. Although it comes standard on the phone, Verizon's got their own plan set up to allow you to use said GPS. I may be wrong, but it's worth looking into if that's a feature you're interested in.

*edit*

GSM
    CDMA
    EVDO

Easier than typing explanations. Verizon is a CDMA network.
    Last edited by shaylarcakes; 11-02-08 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Including more information.
    11-02-08 11:50 AM
    As far as Verizon, right now the choices are the Curve, 8830, or waiting on the Storm.

You have already stated that you don't want the touch screen, so thats one eliminated. I looked at both the Curve 8330, and the World Edition 8830 in making my choice back in May.

I went with the Curve for a couple reasons:
    1. had a camera, 8830 didn't
    2. weight and shape felt better to me than 8830
    3. curve has more memory
    4. world edition was a waste for me, as I don't travel internationally

I couldn't be any happier with my Curve! I use it for business and personal! I am switching my husband (non techy or BB user) to either a Curve or Storm, come Jan. 09 on his upgrade.

Good Luck in your choice, and welcome to CB!
    11-02-08 12:10 PM
    (Re-registered with a new name)

Thanks guys and gals. All of your info and feedback is truly appreciated. I'm going to go with the Curve 8330. Hoping to get it next weekend. I look forward to talking with everyone again here soon on the forums!

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
    11-02-08 12:25 PM

Thanks guys and gals. All of your info and feedback is truly appreciated. I'm going to go with the Curve 8330. Hoping to get it next weekend. I look forward to talking with everyone again here soon on the forums!

youre very welcome.
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    11-02-08 12:28 PM
    Your welcome! I think you made a great choice, and I hope you enjoy it!
    11-02-08 12:40 PM

Good Choice.........Let us know when you get it!
    11-02-08 12:44 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com
    11-02-08 09:36 PM
    I have had my 8330 curve for about two months now and love it, I have found that many of the guys that I work with in my building have the curve but another model due to different carriers. I am new to theis site also and found some useful information here and also some also screen savers and ringtones. I really love my red 8330 and strongly believe that now owning a crackberry it is something I will never be able to without ever again. i look forward to reading many more posts and learning from you guys and gals the "experts" -
    11-02-08 10:06 PM
    I have had my 8330 curve for about two months now and love it, I have found that many of the guys that I work with in my building have the curve but another model due to different carriers. I am new to theis site also and found some useful information here and also some also screen savers and ringtones. I really love my red 8330 and strongly believe that now owning a crackberry it is something I will never be able to without ever again. i look forward to reading many more posts and learning from you guys and gals the "experts" -
    welcome to cb!!
    11-02-08 10:11 PM
    I haven't messed with a curve yet or even really looked into one.. But I was under the assumption that the curve was indeed able to sync with iTunes can someone verify this

seems like that's one of the things that the OP want's

and when I read the post here

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/fou...s-curve-45572/

it looks like it works? This is of course thinking outside the box with what people use standard with there blackberrys

EDIT:: someone down the post states that it doesn't work with windows... however if it can be done on a mac I would think you could find a way to do it on a windows pc...
    Last edited by noaim; 11-03-08 at 01:45 AM.
    11-02-08 10:38 PM
    Whatever you decide the Curve is a GREAT phone. I too had the Voyager and HATED it. Great look, good concept, but was awful to use in everyday life. I have the Curve 8330, and its the best phone I've ever had - and I've had a LOT of phones! Good luck!, and welcome to CB! As you can see - we have lots of helpful people here!
    11-02-08 11:54 PM
    The Curve is a great phone. I have the 8330 and wouldn't go with any other phone than my BB.

11-03-08 12:12 AM
    I haven't messed with a curve yet or even really looked into one.. But I was under the assumption that the curve was indeed able to sync with iTunes can someone verify this

seems like that's one of the things that the OP want's

and when I read the post here

it looks like it works? This is of course thinking outside the box with what people use standard with there blackberrys

EDIT:: someone down the post states that it doesn't work with windows... however if it can be done on a mac I would think you could find a way to do it on a windows pc...

Seriously - I need 10 posts to submit a URL...?

Anyway, I did find something called Blackberry Media Sync. Hopefully that will help?
    11-03-08 05:39 PM
    Whatever you decide the Curve is a GREAT phone. I too had the Voyager and HATED it. Great look, good concept, but was awful to use in everyday life. I have the Curve 8330, and its the best phone I've ever had - and I've had a LOT of phones! Good luck!, and welcome to CB! As you can see - we have lots of helpful people here!
    Agreed. I thought I would be able to use it in every day life - but after the past year and plenty of issues I've had with it, I'm ready to move on.
    11-03-08 06:31 PM
    Ok, it's official. I'm a Crackberry Addict.

I picked up my Curve 8330 last night and I'll be spending most of the day playing around with it and downloading applications and such.
    11-08-08 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD