Hi. I am new to this forum and new to Blackberry and smartphones, too.

I just bought a 8900. At first I was not sure about it, but it has quickly grown on me. I have a few questions about keeping my BB safe.

1. I am not sure the safest place to carry. I don't like holsters so I keep it in my shirt pocket or pants pocket. Does anyone have any warnings about these locations?

2. Also, should I buy a skin? Which one is the best?

3. What about those silicone skins? Are these any good? I was thinking one would keep my BB from slipping out of my pocket.

4. I have ordered a desktop charger from newegg.com. Will my BB with a silicone skin still fit in the desktop charger with the skin on?

Thanks.

Phil
    05-24-09 12:42 PM
    1) Shirt is not good. Risk of dropping it when you bend over.
    Think about toilets, sinks and other pools of water.
    Pants equally bad because of dust and lint.

2) Best Skins Ever. Cant beat the price or protection

3) Offers very little, if any, real protection. And they feel
    really disgusting in the hand IMO

4) No.
    05-24-09 12:46 PM
    i disagree about the silicon skins(sorry AG ). i prefer the way it fits in my hand with a skin on it.. my hands are on the larger side, and i feel like my berry will slip out of my hand if i dont have a skin on it.
    05-24-09 01:11 PM
    Welcome to crackberry! If your not gonna carry it in a holster get you some sort of protection for it. I learned the hard way after only a week or so. Accidents can and do happen ya know.
    05-24-09 01:15 PM
    Those best skins ever are very good - unfortunately, I wasn't aware of them when I bought my first and only BlackBerry so I've got a few battle wounds on mine.

Personally, I use the slip on sleeve that came with my 8330. Like yourself, I hate holsters and prefer the device in my pocket. The magnetic strip allows for the device to go in/out of stanby mode (saving battery life a bit) and with the custom profiles you'll get vibration if you so desire while it is "holstered".

ALB
    05-24-09 01:23 PM
    I use the sleeve that came with my 8310, that way I can toss it into my purse and not worry about scratches, accidentally dialing ect...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 01:35 PM
    I throw that sleeve in the trash almost seconds after opening the
    box. Aside form the chintzy material and design, it annoys me
    to no end to have to take my phone out of something to be able
    to use it.
    05-24-09 01:47 PM
    The good thing about a pouch is that you don't have to worry about miss dial, lint, dust... And when you use it it's not balky like having a big case.
    05-24-09 02:24 PM
    1. I am not sure the safest place to carry. I don't like holsters so I keep it in my shirt pocket or pants pocket. Does anyone have any warnings about these locations?

2. Also, should I buy a skin? Which one is the best?

3. What about those silicone skins? Are these any good? I was thinking one would keep my BB from slipping out of my pocket.

4. I have ordered a desktop charger from newegg.com. Will my BB with a silicone skin still fit in the desktop charger with the skin on?

Thanks.

Phil
    1) No shirt...Thats like the #1 way people end up dropping their phones...especially in the toilet

2) Go to BodyGuardz - Scratch-Proof Transparent Protective Skins for Mobile Devices | Skins, Covers, Screen Protectors, Cases, Shields .....Its essentially a clear film that goes on your phone to protect it from scratches...works amazing...especially when its paired with...

3) A silicone skin...I would NEVER recommend having one of these without a Body Guard or Invisible Shield on your phone first. These will scratch the **** out of the back of your phone. I had one on my ipod from day 1...2 years later I took it off and it looks like I had thrown it across pavement. However they do provide a much better grip and I think they are the only cases that actually look nice. So I would recommend one as long as you have a body guard/invisible shield of some sort.

4) More than likely the answer to that question is no...you'd have to take it out...Which can be an annoyance since the more and more you take your phone out of the silicone skin the more stretched out it will get and need to be replaced sooner.
    05-24-09 02:25 PM
    4) More than likely the answer to that question is no...you'd have to take it out...Which can be an annoyance since the more and more you take your phone out of the silicone skin the more stretched out it will get and need to be replaced sooner.
    Better to have a worn/stretched out silicone skin than a broken USB port from being connected/disconnected to a charging cable. The charging dock is a good option that saves on wear and tear on the USB port, IMO.
    05-24-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD