Looks like things might be getting tough for BlackBerry even in software.

Apple isn't a "great" software company, I'd say. That's why they're looking for partners, so more applications run on and can talk to their limited (as in not a full desktop OS) phone and tablet OS, ... iOS.

Apple's SAP deal means more iOS enterprise apps | CIO

BlackBerry has been buying smaller companies to bolster their software portfolio and improve enterprise software offerings. They also entered a few partnerships. But will it be enough to make it a viable platform that sells?

:-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    05-16-16 03:35 PM
    Apple is moving hard into the Business side of things. They are looking for partners that will build enterprise specific apps for iOS, thus making iOS the choice for companies that might use SAP software or find themselves in need of their software solutions.

BlackBerry really isn't a software company... in the same way the SAP, IBM or VMware are. Buying a few specialized security companies is great, but it doesn't give you the capability that these software giants have.

Security and an end-to-end solution will get them by for a while...
    05-16-16 03:45 PM
    Apple is moving hard into the Business side of things. They are looking for partners that will build enterprise specific apps for iOS, thus making iOS the choice for companies that might use SAP software or find themselves in need of their software solutions.

BlackBerry really isn't a software company... in the same way the SAP, IBM or VMware are. Buying a few specialized security companies is great, but it doesn't give you the capability that these software giants have.

Security and an end-to-end solution will get them by for a while...
    I agree a 100% and I have seen more and more IOS and Android devices in the auto industry which at one time was dominated by Blackberry devices. Most folks I have talked to like their IOS & Android devices and although they miss their PKB Blackberry devices, they have adapted very well and they are not changing anytime soon.

When I ask about device security they tell me most of their company devices have adequate security software installed I.e good and they haven't had any issues. This is in the automotive sector which is a large amount of folks using IOS and Android devices and I rarely hear any major complaints.

To me this says Blackberry is smart to be pursuing the software end of the business because I think this is where the majority of their future revenue will come from.
    app_Developer, TgeekB and TGR1 like this.
    05-16-16 06:15 PM
    I'm honestly wondering how BlackBerry plans to become a software company. They've had so many golden opportunities to create a thriving software product. BBM, Blend, BB10, BlackBerry experience, and most importantly BES. All of these are amazing products that were terribly late to market or missing critical features to capture market share.

BBM cross platform, voice/video calls, and web client.

Blend was released and dumped. An android version would be killer differentiator for Priv and future Rome/Hamburg.

BES should be an affordable, convenient, self-managed cloud service ala Office 365. This one really irks me.

Chen has personal ties to SAP yet Apple makes the deal with them. And IBM. BlackBerry should have been on top of this from day one.

It seems BlackBerry plans to become a conglomerate that skims profits from acquired companies, not a software company itself.

 C L A S S I C
    togarika and Bluenoser63 like this.
    05-17-16 07:35 PM
    I'm honestly wondering how BlackBerry plans to become a software company. They've had so many golden opportunities to create a thriving software product. BBM, Blend, BB10, BlackBerry experience, and most importantly BES. All of these are amazing products that were terribly late to market or missing critical features to capture market share.

BBM cross platform, voice/video calls, and web client.

Blend was released and dumped. An android version would be killer differentiator for Priv and future Rome/Hamburg.

BES should be an affordable, convenient, self-managed cloud service ala Office 365. This one really irks me.

Chen has personal ties to SAP yet Apple makes the deal with them. And IBM. BlackBerry should have been on top of this from day one.

It seems BlackBerry plans to become a conglomerate that skims profits from acquired companies, not a software company itself.

 C L A S S I C
    Good points.

That conglomerate thing would be a rather sad outlook... :-|

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    05-18-16 11:40 PM
    I think this is BlackBerry's biggest problem. They have good ideas but never low them through. A lot was said when they released BB10, but only a few things were implemented. I for myself still think the PlayBook was a good idea, the only problem was it was rushed. The BlackBerry Bridge was good. They should have made it cross platform. I wouldn't mind having a PlayBook 2

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    05-19-16 07:36 AM
    This is for enterprise apps for iOS. BlackBerry's BES manages devices including iOS. For some reason why are still having a device conversation around BlackBerry and not really having a full understanding of the software that they offer.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 07:21 PM
    +10^6

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 04:41 AM