iPhone 2g/3g might be able to handle iOS4 but no mulitasking and other crap.

I don't see why BB can't just make a slimmed down OS6 version for older Storm models. Get rid of the home screen favorites, recent and all that. I'm happy with my home screen setup the way it is already. I'm pretty sure that will save up some memory. The only thing I want is really the browser and maybe less buggy like keyboard issues.
    07-28-10 10:04 PM
    iPhone 2g/3g might be able to handle iOS4 but no mulitasking and other crap.
    Isn't that what I said? Regardless, MEMORY HARDWARE is not hindering those handsets from being able to load the newest OS for the platform. That's my point here. With RIM, you're lucky if you see one OS upgrade level up from what the handset came released with. For some handsets, you don't even see that. Good example of this is the 85xx. They came with 5 and they'll stay with 5. The Storm2 came with 5 and most likely won't see 6 and if it does, it'll be just as bad as it was with the S1 and OS4.7/5 (i.e. limited free space left, like 30MB or so).
    07-29-10 11:02 AM
    Regardless, MEMORY HARDWARE is not hindering those handsets from being able to load the newest OS for the platform.
    Ummmm...the Biggest feature in iOS 4 is Multitasking, which is not included in 3G version (i guess). So if it isn't Memory that is causing that deficit, what is it? The Multitasking Flux capacitor?

So if RIM releases OS6 without the Web Kit engine (ie a good theme on OS 5) on older models, would that make you happy? Would that make you feel that RIM made OS 6 Backwards compatible.

Don't be an a$$ Civic.
    07-29-10 11:16 AM
    Ummmm...the Biggest feature in iOS 4 is Multitasking, which is not included in 3G version (i guess). So if it isn't Memory that is causing that deficit, what is it? The Multitasking Flux capacitor?

So if RIM releases OS6 without the Web Kit engine (ie a good theme on OS 5) on older models, would that make you happy? Would that make you feel that RIM made OS 6 Backwards compatible.

Don't be an a$$ Civic.
    But it's what she does best
    07-29-10 07:42 PM
    So, everyone agrees, I have the best a$$. Thanks guys!

I'm sure RAM and CPU is what keeps the older iPhones from doing the multitasking. However, RAM's not important on an iPhone when it comes to "storing" apps or OS. It's only important when running an app that's big and memory intensive. You should know this by now guys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 10:52 PM
    Yeah a 3G has 128mb of RAM as opposed to the 3GS having 256mb of RAM. I believe
    the 3G's processor is 412mhz and the 3GS is 600mhz or so. The 3GS was ready for
    even true multi-tasking. The type where apps aren't even in a saved state. The
    point is that iOS 4 was out in 2010. It pretty much fully supports a phone that was
    released 11 months before it. Doesn't fully support a phone 2 years before it.
    So the way I see it, a Tour and 9700 were both released last year. They're not
    exactly as old as an iPhone 3G (2nd gen)

Oh, and the Storm 2 was released in November. So if OS 6 can't fully support
    a phone that came out in November your argument against Apple is thrown
    completely out the window.
    07-30-10 12:15 PM
    So, everyone agrees, I have the best a$$. Thanks guys!
    no pics, no proof.
    07-30-10 01:09 PM
    Oh, and the Storm 2 was released in November. So if OS 6 can't fully support
    a phone that came out in November your argument against Apple is thrown
    completely out the window.
    Wait? What?

I'm arguing against RIM, not Apple. It's RIM's phones that cannot run an OS that's newer then 1 gen up... if even then. The 9630 is a year old, if that and won't be seeing OS6 anytime soon.
    07-30-10 04:58 PM
    Wait? What?

I'm arguing against RIM, not Apple. It's RIM's phones that cannot run an OS that's newer then 1 gen up... if even then. The 9630 is a year old, if that and won't be seeing OS6 anytime soon.
    Not you lol. I was giving a more extended answer to The_Engine in his questioning
    on Apple's devices supporting/not supporting their newest OS. And yeah, the original Tour
    is a year old just as is the 3GS and the 3GS still supports multi-tasking as opposed to the
    freaken' Tour probably not even getting a partial make of OS 6. I need to learn how to
    quote sometimes

07-30-10 05:05 PM
    I need to learn how to
    quote sometimes
    Word...

That's one of the reasons why most of my posts are quotes... I like to make sure people know who I'm talking to/about.
    07-30-10 05:08 PM
    RIM is running out of numbers in their lineup to coverup their cheapness. This is just penny pinching at its finest. They were trying to minimize the cost on the current models knowing that OS 6 wouldn't fully run on them with 256 MB, and now have to come out with "new" models which are really the same with the memory needed for OS 6. I think people would have gladly paid the $3 more (if that) for the 512 MB needed. I bet the suppliers of the memory laugh at RIM cause they could probably by GB chips or multi GB chips for not much more. As many phones, pads, etc out there now with large internal storage, the pricing has got to be going way down on these multi GB storage chips. **** there is an Android powered tablet at Kmart that just came out with 2GB of storage, 800 MHz processor, Wifi, for just $150.
    07-30-10 07:05 PM
    lol, it's true, I don't know why RIM is so scared of more memory. I can say one thing... if I remember correctly, RIM came to market when Micron was the biggest memory supplier available and they were EXPENSIVE. Perhaps Mike's been so used to dealing with those guys back then so much, he's stuck in the 90's. lol
    07-31-10 02:27 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD