How do I know when I am using my mobile network or wifi?

If I am on a wifi network will my phone (9900) automatically download off the wifi network? How do I know which network it is downloading from? I've noticed if I turn off the mobile network while on wifi I will not be able to access app world. Is this because it needs to be on the blackberry network?

Also, Is there an easy way to reboot the phone without pulling the battery. I've noticed the power off button just goes into a standby mode and doesn't fully shut down.

Thanks for the help.Just got my first blackberry and trying to figure it all out.

Cheers,
    02-17-12 05:03 PM
    On a BB with a keyboard just press Alt Shift Del and that will reboot your BB. I know on my 9810 when I am connected to my wifi 95% of my apps and core system functions use the wifi, yes some functions like BB World might need to use 3G/4G for BIS connections, but I use an app called Traffic Monitor so I know for a fact that when I am at home and on wifi that 99% of my data is wifi.

Free Traffic Monitor - Download Traffic Monitor - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

CS
    02-17-12 05:17 PM
    Well, in Service Status it will tell you if your BIS is on the mobile network or on wifi. And yes, it seems some things will not work over wifi. I just tried it with AppWorld, and it's a no-go.
    02-17-12 07:27 PM
    You can select the mobile network to go manually.
    02-18-12 08:57 AM
    The easiest solution is to enable both carrier network and WIFi on the device and select WiFi as preferred method of connection. Then it will use WiFi unless WiFi service is unavailable or a particular application requires the carrier network.
    02-18-12 10:42 AM
    How do I know when I am using my mobile network or wifi?

If I am on a wifi network will my phone (9900) automatically download off the wifi network? How do I know which network it is downloading from? I've noticed if I turn off the mobile network while on wifi I will not be able to access app world. Is this because it needs to be on the blackberry network?

Also, Is there an easy way to reboot the phone without pulling the battery. I've noticed the power off button just goes into a standby mode and doesn't fully shut down.

Thanks for the help.Just got my first blackberry and trying to figure it all out.

Cheers,
    App world needs a Mobile connection to work as some carriers use billing that comes through on your bill. No data is transmitted that way. As far as knowing what data is going through if you look at your Wi-Fi signal indicator, when there's a logo like a little "BB" with it, like the one that's next to the one for 3G it will be going through whichever one is there if you're on EDGE or GPRS when that logo is next to your Wi-Fi bar it's going though Wi-Fi. Also it you look in Service Status in manage Connections it will tell you next to BIS which one it's using.
    02-18-12 10:57 AM
    that clears things up, thanks! It's all good.
    02-18-12 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD