Good afternoon all,

I have been using Blokada on my BE KeyOne and on my S9 with little to no issues. (One being FitBit app but I just turned it off when syncing)

I heard about NetGuard from a few on here so purchased the "Pro" paid version. Does NetGuard not block ads? Any other users that utilize and how you set up and why would be most appreciated. (I know you can limit cellular access and Wi-Fi access but how and where do you see which app is utilizing one and or the other??)

Thanks in advance
    03-25-20 04:05 PM
    Good afternoon all,

I have been using Blokada on my BE KeyOne and on my S9 with little to no issues. (One being FitBit app but I just turned it off when syncing)

I heard about NetGuard from a few on here so purchased the "Pro" paid version. Does NetGuard not block ads? Any other users that utilize and how you set up and why would be most appreciated. (I know you can limit cellular access and Wi-Fi access but how and where do you see which app is utilizing one and or the other??)

Thanks in advance
    You don't need the Pro version - you only need to get NetGuard directly from the source for it to block ads (a version which is not allowed in Play Store for obvious reasons).

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Both block ads and trackers, but NetGuard can also block connections from the apps themselves. Good for devices like the Titan, where it has a bunch of dubious apps.

I would say Blokada is more than sufficient on a device like BlackBerry or Samsung.
    03-25-20 04:47 PM
    You don't need the Pro version - you only need to get NetGuard directly from the source for it to block ads (a version which is not allowed in Play Store for obvious reasons).

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Both block ads and trackers, but NetGuard can also block connections from the apps themselves. Good for devices like the Titan, where it has a bunch of dubious apps.

I would say Blokada is more than sufficient on a device like BlackBerry or Samsung.
    Thank you
    03-25-20 06:40 PM
    . (I know you can limit cellular access and Wi-Fi access but how and where do you see which app is utilizing one and or the other??)

Thanks in advance
    Open NetGuard, tap on any app to open the drop down, tap Configure, check the top two boxes (also the third if you feel like it)
    You should then be able to open the drop down on each app and see what access attempts have been made. Note that it will only show the attempts that were made after you enabled logging and filtering.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-25-20 09:07 PM
    Open NetGuard, tap on any app to open the drop down, tap Configure, check the top two boxes (also the third if you feel like it)
    You should then be able to open the drop down on each app and see what access attempts have been made. Note that it will only show the attempts that were made after you enabled logging and filtering.
    Appreciate the assistance. Believe it or not there is not a whole lot of information on setting these up and exactly how they work to protect data and privacy.
    03-25-20 11:10 PM
    Anyone ever compare the two for battery usage? If you don't turn on logging and tracking in Netguard does it actually do anything?? I bought the pro version from the dev on Google Play however after a couple weeks Blokada seems much easier to use as it just starts blocking ads. (I downloaded it direct from Blokada) Does Netguard purchased from Google Play provide any ad blocking?? I don't actually see them removed as I do with Blokada. I am thinking Netguard is more robust and that I am missing something. If something is truly beneficial I agree in supporting a dev thus my going through GPS. Blokada I could not even get from GPS.

Lastly are these REALLY even necessary if one uses say the very good Samsung browser with ad blocking?
    04-15-20 10:50 AM
    Anyone ever compare the two for battery usage? If you don't turn on logging and tracking in Netguard does it actually do anything?? I bought the pro version from the dev on Google Play however after a couple weeks Blokada seems much easier to use as it just starts blocking ads. (I downloaded it direct from Blokada) Does Netguard purchased from Google Play provide any ad blocking?? I don't actually see them removed as I do with Blokada. I am thinking Netguard is more robust and that I am missing something. If something is truly beneficial I agree in supporting a dev thus my going through GPS. Blokada I could not even get from GPS.

Lastly are these REALLY even necessary if one uses say the very good Samsung browser with ad blocking?
    To get the ad blocking you need to download Netguard directly, and not from GPS... as it doesn't like ad blocking apps.
    04-15-20 10:57 AM
    as it doesn't like ad blocking apps.
    I wonder why? /s
    mh1983 and greenjoe like this.
    04-15-20 12:32 PM
    To get the ad blocking you need to download Netguard directly, and not from GPS... as it doesn't like ad blocking apps.
    So even the Pro paid for version is less robust than downloading through GitHub? 🤔
    04-15-20 02:00 PM
    So even the Pro paid for version is less robust than downloading through GitHub?
    It just has ad blocking, that's all. You'd have to pay for the features you bought from the play store as well.
    04-15-20 02:06 PM

Battery? Not much difference.
    The difference with NetGuard is the you can see specifically which app made which connection, while Blokada it more of a guessing game as there's just one long host log.
    Getting ad blocking to work requires a few more steps with NetGuard; outlined here.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...phone-0176386/

Posted via CB10
    04-15-20 04:25 PM