Once again, a broad statement is made about the lack of Netflix on Blackberry.

Even if there was a Netflix app, why would I wanna watch a movie or tv show on a tiny screen. IMHO the Netflix selection is weak.

I'm really surprised at the comments about how ridiculous this article is. The name of the website is very appropriate lol. It was on Yahoo.com (surprise, surprise )

Netflix Illustrates BlackBerry's App Weakness (BBRY)
    Dapper37, SFWriter and sugbo like this.
    03-06-13 01:55 PM
    Said it once and I'll say it again.

1) Many people that work in NYC take the subway in and sometimes they have 1+ hour trips each way. More than one watches movies on Netflix on their smartphone.
    2) These are often people with work Blackberries and personal Androids/iPhones

This is a bigger problem than you recognize.

Personally, I don't care for the reasons you said. And most people probably agree with you. But there is definitely a use case out there for Netflix on a Z10
    03-06-13 02:38 PM
    I cant wait til we have netflix on bb10. it will mean that all the threads crying about not having it and all threads saying people are stupid for wanting it will stop...
    03-06-13 02:40 PM
    With limited data plans these days, it seems pointless to stream Netflix movies on a 4" screen.

I personally don't use Netflix and I can see its use on tablets for wifi streaming, but to say it makes or break a phone company seems ridiculous to me.

In the comments section, a lot of iPhone users admit to hardly ever using the app on their phones. I can definitely see why.
    san4berry likes this.
    03-06-13 02:46 PM
    why is it everytime some app developer says they have no plans to support bb, everyone in the forum starts saying they dont need the app. YOU may not need netflix, but its a deal killer for a lot of people. Why wouldnt you want blackberry to have all the apps available as competing platforms? this will ensure they stay competitive and IN BUSINESS
    03-06-13 02:58 PM
    Even if there was a Netflix app, why would I wanna watch a movie or tv show on a tiny screen.
    Is this deja vu . . . or is it a GLITCH IN THE MATRIX?
    anon(3896606) and Mecca EL like this.
    03-06-13 03:00 PM
    why is it everytime some app developer says they have no plans to support bb, everyone in the forum starts saying they dont need the app. YOU may not need netflix, but its a deal killer for a lot of people. Why wouldnt you want blackberry to have all the apps available as competing platforms? this will ensure they stay competitive and IN BUSINESS
    its not about that. It's like saying Blackberry is doomed because they dont have Temple Run, Hulu, or Google +.

Not having Netflix is not gonna hurt Blackberry at all. If they do get it., thats cool too.

The comments in the article says it all.
    bigbmc26 and Mecca EL like this.
    03-06-13 03:10 PM
    With limited data plans these days, it seems pointless to stream Netflix movies on a 4" screen.

I personally don't use Netflix and I can see its use on tablets for wifi streaming, but to say it makes or break a phone company seems ridiculous to me.

In the comments section, a lot of iPhone users admit to hardly ever using the app on their phones. I can definitely see why.
    but its not pointless to have wifi at work nor a TV with an HDMI connection in which I DONT use data nor am I watching netflix on a 4 inch screen.

Does it mean BB will fail if they dont have netflix, hulu, instagram, skype and Kindle? probably not but it sure as heck will/can/has cost BB some sales for sure.
    03-06-13 03:14 PM
    I agree, more choice is better than less choice, but do that many buyers actually allow their decision to adopt/not adopt hinge on Netflix?

Skype, yeah, I get. It's a tool, and not having it reduces the device's capability compared to devices that DO have it. And as far as Netflix goes, there are movies and TV available from BB World, which is arguably better because you can download on WiFi and watch without incurring data charges. There's also Crackle for streaming, which works great in the browser.
    03-06-13 03:16 PM
    I agree, more choice is better than less choice, but do that many buyers actually allow their decision to adopt/not adopt hinge on Netflix?

Skype, yeah, I get. It's a tool, and not having it reduces the device's capability compared to devices that DO have it. And as far as Netflix goes, there are movies and TV available from BB World, which is arguably better because you can download on WiFi and watch without incurring data charges. There's also Crackle for streaming, which works great in the browser.
    My point exactly.
    03-06-13 03:23 PM
    I know someone a couple years ago was interested in the size of a Playbook (prior to the 7" Android tabs) but went with the iPad because of Skype. Lack of apps are deal breakers for some people and can cause people to look elsewhere. Apps seem to be a chicken and egg scenario unfortunately.
    03-06-13 04:25 PM
    Is this deja vu . . . or is it a GLITCH IN THE MATRIX?
    It has to be a glitch, because it's the same thing over and over and over and over and over....
    03-06-13 04:56 PM
    It has to be a glitch, because it's the same thing over and over and over and over and over....

And over

and over
    03-06-13 04:58 PM
    I think many just WANT the ability to watch videos through Netflix - and not that they actually NEED it. Talking only on mobile. Everybody enjoys the freedom to do, whether they will or wont.

This is where the big craze for Netflix comes from.
    03-06-13 05:09 PM
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely Netflix wouldn't allow you to download films / TV to the handset? As such it would be a stream and very heavy on bandwidth unless you are on WiFi.
    If that's the case, how useful would it be?

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 05:13 PM
    I'm going to sideload Netflix onto my Z10 just so I can laugh at some snide remarks my coworkers are bound to make.
    nnomad likes this.
    03-06-13 05:14 PM
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely Netflix wouldn't allow you to download films / TV to the handset? As such it would be a stream and very heavy on bandwidth unless you are on WiFi.
    If that's the case, how useful would it be?

Posted via CB10
    You can watch movies/shows in low res. YouTube works, right? Not much of a leap to imagine Netflix working in terms of bandwidth constraints.
    nnomad likes this.
    03-06-13 05:15 PM
    But I would have thought that low res on a 4 inch handset would difficult to watch.

I can understand though why people are making assumptions based upon the lack of an app, even if I don't think it would ever be any good or worth bothering with.

I always thought that being able to side load Android apps may bite BlackBerry in the foot, as it gives people the opportunity to push out second rate apps cheaply. I hope that I am proved wrong.

Posted via CB10
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-06-13 05:23 PM
    I think thunderbuck has it right. There is nothing wrong with choice and I would be happy if Netflix were to bring an app to BB. Will alot of people use it. The answer is no. Streaming TV or movies to a 4 inch screen has very little appeal to the majority of the population. Sorry but it isn't that interesting and we all know it.

If you looks at Netflix as a company, it is a very marginal business. Movie and TV houses hate providing content for next to nothing and to make the whole thing work some Teleco needs to provide unlimited data at a moderate price. This is a very dodging business model which explains why it's a money losing venture everywhere except in the US market. It also explains why Apple has basically abandoned Apple TV. Very little money to be made in providing content.
    Thunderbuck and shemaree09 like this.
    03-06-13 09:19 PM
    Well, for all those that don't want Netflix, you're in luck!

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    PostMortem and nnomad like this.
    03-06-13 09:27 PM

It was smart of BB to offer its own video service, but I hope you don't seriously consider Crackle to be on nearly the same level as Netflix. The entire reason Crackle is a free service is because their content is from the Stone Ages. They must know this, otherwise they wouldn't have made it Flash-streamable, meaning that iuyts content can be downloaded and distributed by even the most primitive YouTube downloader browser extension.
    03-06-13 09:38 PM
    Netflix doesn't have the best selection of movies via their site/app but it would certainly be benefit to have for down time....
    03-06-13 10:39 PM
    People pay aprox $30 a month for a data plan. Why should we be paying the same amount and be limited to what we can do with our phones.

That's how people see it.

Do I get a berry with a good keyboard or get an iphone or android phone with tons of apps for every thing I could possibly need.

As mat said. I can't wait until netflix and the other big name apps come to bb10 so all people will do is complain about them being port overs instead of not having them.

Sent from my game boy color
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-06-13 11:01 PM
    I cant wait til we have netflix on bb10. it will mean that all the threads crying about not having it and all threads saying people are stupid for wanting it will stop...
    Replaced by ones that ask why is it not as good, Lol.
    03-06-13 11:07 PM
    Said it once and I'll say it again.

1) Many people that work in NYC take the subway in and sometimes they have 1+ hour trips each way. More than one watches movies on Netflix on their smartphone.
    I live half the year in NYC and want to know which carrier provides sufficient coverage on the MTA to allow Netflix viewing. I cannot think of any lines -- the A, the 1, or the 3, in particular -- where Netflix would work reliably. Coverage is spotty and limited to stations and some of the tunnel (it drops frequently enough to make streaming difficult between stations). PATH doesn't get coverage at all.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-06-13 11:21 PM
73 123