Google announced today that it has collaborated with Netflix and Microsoft to enable HTML5 video streaming on the Samsung Chromebook (Google had previously said Netflix support was coming, but provided few specifics). That notably also makes it the first instance of Netflix using HTML5 for streaming instead of Silverlight, although there's no indication of it spreading to other devices just yet.

Source: Engadget
    Samsung's latest Chromebook now supports Netflix courtesy of HTML5 streaming

BB10/Playbook can do HTML5 video just fine. (Youtube being a good example). The real issue is the DRM implemented by every Netflix app on each device. Mobile devices, set top boxes and consoles support DRM at the hardware level which is why they can run Netflix without Silverlight (which only does software DRM).

The Neflix video player is implemented as a plugin into Chrome OS's browser. Other devices use stand-alone apps. Playbook has no native browsers that support plugins.

Oh well.. see what unfolds. I already tried using the Chrome OS User ID in Simplebrowser and signed into Netflix that way, but it expects that plugin and the fun ends when it gripes about not being able to find that plugin.
    Last edited by BennyX; 03-11-13 at 06:26 PM.
    03-11-13 05:45 PM
    Good news. In this case, Browser support is inevitable. Has anyone tried faking BB10 browser as chrome?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 06:10 PM
    I'd venture a guess and say that Google has come up with a method in their Chromebooks that can prevent the user from capturing HTML video streamed to their browser and redistributing it. I'd bet dollars to donuts that only Goog's chrome browser will benefit from that ability on their Chromebook devices.

From my experience, any time Netflix is slow out of the gate to support any platform, it's to ensure their DRM can't be circumvented.
    03-11-13 06:15 PM
    yup, its the hardware-supported DRM. Some Netflix apps use Silverlight which implements software DRM.
    03-11-13 06:28 PM
    Good news. In this case, Browser support is inevitable. Has anyone tried faking BB10 browser as chrome?

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't work on Playbook's browser. It would at the least need Chrome OS browser-compatibility and ability to use plugins.
    03-11-13 06:29 PM
    Just checked. Does not work in bb10 browser
    03-11-13 11:36 PM
    Guys - I'm 100% convinced that the Netflix thing is entirely the problem of BlackBerry's business development team and not of their engineering department. Netflix can and does deliver video content in multiple formats. They happen to use Silverlight when delivering to the browser, but not all devices that support Netflix support Silverlight. I don't believe iOS or Android do yet they stream Netflix through apps.

Serving up content in multiple forms and/or converting is not a big deal. Several times a week, I'm shrinking and converting video to run on my mobile devices. The settings I use for my iOS devices work perfectly fine on my PlayBook.

I have no doubt that somewhere in BlackBerry, there's a prototype app that plays Netflix content on the PlayBook or Z10 as a proof of concept.
    03-12-13 08:57 AM
    The problem is the money Netflix is being paid to NOT push out a BlackBerry App. It's all corporate politics my friend, period.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 09:56 AM
    The problem is the money Netflix is being paid to NOT push out a BlackBerry App. It's all corporate politics my friend, period.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt Netflix is being paid to NOT push content by anyone. I do think Netflix doesn't feel BlackBerry is offering to pay them enough to push content.

No conspiracy theories here
    Barljo, q649 and Rello like this.
    03-12-13 10:00 AM
    So the Android port posted by Bla1ze is reported to be glitchy while navigating the Netflix interface but the streaming video is fine. Obviously the Z10 hardware and BB10 OS can pull off a Netflix stream so that is not the issue. It seems like the interface working is an issue and in newer versions of the Android app they changed something...
    03-12-13 11:16 AM
    I don't think the DRM is hardware based. I just tried with my VMware based " chromebook" ;-) and it asked after logging in and selecting a title that this site needs to download files to my computer I said yes, It tried to start up the stream and then bombed and said it was because I was in developer mode. If it was hardware based I would think it woudn't have even gotten that far.
    03-12-13 01:53 PM
    Stupid BES10 locking out development mode... I want my Netflix.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 09:59 PM
    So the Android port posted by Bla1ze is reported to be glitchy while navigating the Netflix interface but the streaming video is fine. Obviously the Z10 hardware and BB10 OS can pull off a Netflix stream so that is not the issue. It seems like the interface working is an issue and in newer versions of the Android app they changed something...
    i navigated through pretty good. it works fine, really. ill probably never use it, never did on my iphone, but it is there now
    03-12-13 11:15 PM
    Netflix is a business. Their model succeeds when they have as many subscribers as possible. They aren't being paid to not make a bb10 app, that's silly. Also, HTML video on chrome os isn't chrome the browser. It will likely only work on a chromebook as the authentication for it could easily ask for the hardware ID. I doubt Netflix will ever work outside of Netflix approved uses. Best chance for bb10 development is bb10 sales
    03-13-13 02:43 AM
    I doubt Netflix is being paid to NOT push content by anyone. I do think Netflix doesn't feel BlackBerry is offering to pay them enough to push content.

No conspiracy theories here
    Reed Hastings (CEO of Netflix) is known as a big Microsoft fan and has very good relationships with MS. He was on Microsoft's board until last year. He also had a WP7 as soon as it was out. (He said that in an interview I saw last year.)

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 04:51 AM
    Considering the win8 &7.5 devices are being discontinued, maybe netflix will soon work in any browser...
    03-18-13 11:29 AM
    It would be nice if it happens

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 02:26 PM
    Considering the win8 &7.5 devices are being discontinued, maybe netflix will soon work in any browser...
    almost all of the content and licensing agreements involve using silverlight, possibly all of them. netflix in mobile browsers is not going to happen anytime soon, that would involve microsoft either building a browser or working with blackberry, google, apple, and a myriad of other companies to support silverlight. they use silverlight to control drm.
    03-18-13 06:22 PM
    Reed Hastings (CEO of Netflix) is known as a big Microsoft fan and has very good relationships with MS. He was on Microsoft's board until last year. He also had a WP7 as soon as it was out. (He said that in an interview I saw last year.)

Posted via CB10
    All that means nothing.
    The simple truth is, until blackberry gain more users, companies like Netflix have no financial reason to make an app for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 03:21 AM
    All that means nothing.
    The simple truth is, until blackberry gain more users, companies like Netflix have no financial reason to make an app for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    80 million wasn't enough?
    03-20-13 08:12 AM
    More users in the usa on the new platform that can handle netflix. Netflix is almost non existent outside of north america right?
    03-20-13 11:16 AM
    More users in the usa on the new platform that can handle netflix. Netflix is almost non existent outside of north america right?
    I'd say they're getting pretty big in UK
    03-20-13 11:34 AM
    80 million wasn't enough?
    How many of that 80 million already have Netflix accounts? Let's say for the purposes of an example 20. So 20 million people are suddenly happier but that doesn't mean Netflix will gain 60 million users.
    A huge portion of the 80million is business phones. There is no way Netflix would be allowed on all of them just like Facebook is blocked on a lot of business phones.
    And if Netflix did develop an app for BlackBerry, just how many accounts will they gain? Not many. I'm not going to get one and I know a great many people who simply do not care for Netflix. Only a few people that are here will open a Netflix account because they made a blackberry app.
    The thing with Netflix is that they will not gain anything by making a blackberry app, as their app will appeal mainly to their existing customers. It will benefit blackberry however so maybe blackberry can step in and take on the development costs so that it costs Netflix nothing.
    I wouldn't be surprised if such discussion was taking place behind the scenes now to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 11:37 AM
    Netflix is a business. Their model succeeds when they have as many subscribers as possible. They aren't being paid to not make a bb10 app, that's silly. Also, HTML video on chrome os isn't chrome the browser. It will likely only work on a chromebook as the authentication for it could easily ask for the hardware ID. I doubt Netflix will ever work outside of Netflix approved uses. Best chance for bb10 development is bb10 sales
    If they aren't developing for bb10 due to small userbase then what in the **** is there support on chromebooks for?

Edit: Netflix should also consider if they might loose subscribers if they move to BB10. Its not like developing an app costs millions. If you share some logic between platforms then even maintainibg apps shouldn't cost much. At least I don't see how it could.
    03-20-13 11:48 AM
    You also have to consider BlackBerry Balance...so people who are just business users now can watch Netflix on the personal side of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 11:54 AM
31 12