I never understood the reasoning of those who seem to hate apps. Or, those who seem to hate a platform that offers users literally hundereds of thousands of apps. .
    I didn't even know such people existed before this thread! I would generally say such a person doesn't really understand what an "app" is!

I personally don't use many apps (including skype or netflix), but railing against them is the equivalent of saying: "stupid software...I HATE having software for a computer! I don't want to use any/some of the programs available for this computer, and therefore, they shouldn't even be available!!! Nobody else should care about having software for their computer either!! STupid people!!! All you should ever want/need/have are the basic programs built into your OS!!! "
    09-24-12 08:25 PM
    It's a cost of development issue. The work on the TiVo is done all they need to do now is troubleshoot and maintain the code. There is very little cost in that. The R&D of the initial app development is long since done.
    Sorry but that is not correct. The original Tivo NetFlix app was done by Tivo and it was not all that great -- it worked and supported the Tivo remote directly but it was clunky and slow in navigation. It was done years ago. The new app - just released this year - is a re-write actually done by NetFlix or with their guidance since the interface matches the NF interface on xBox/Playstation, etc. and does not support the Tivo remote directly. (new app is better/faster though).

So Tivo expended the resources at a time of their sharpest decline (adding NF and Amazon Video to stem losses from the Roku type boxes hitting the market). And now NetFlix has expended some time and effort in a time in which Tivo -- although growing -- is a very small fish (after its decline) with little chance of ever having a large user base.

About the only difference I can see in effort paying off is someone with a set top TV box and NetFlix is a lot more likely to use the service than someone that owns "tablet X" that can run NetFlix.
    Last edited by southlander; 09-24-12 at 09:53 PM.
    09-24-12 09:50 PM
    Notice my next paragraph:

"I am sure extensive negotiations have occurred, and if RIM hasn't gone quite this far, they probably should. I assume they will be on BB10, even if it took something like this to make it happen....."

I'm not at all certain that they haven't. Apparently they haven't offered "enough" money though if they have. Not that I think it need be done at ANY cost, but......

There is one thing that makes me think they may not have...and it is essentially pride...pride and the typical industry standards....I could see them offering "incentives"...I could see them offering special exemptions....I could see them offering free publicity and advertising.....all of this I am fairly SURE would have happened already. MAYBE they haven't gone as far as outright large sums of direct payment....just because they might see that as "ridiculous"...understandably!

At this point though, it would be in RIM's interest to go that far, since Netflix is probably holding almost all the cards in negotation, and clearly, are more than willing to give up the BB market.

(all that is assuming that a deal for BB10 hasn't been reached....as I mentioned, I expect it....if it isn't announced with BB10, it's a stupid stupid move...RIM needs everything all-in to even have a chance)
    Thorsten does not strike me as an overly prideful person. He has stepped up and admitted the mistakes of the past, the deficiencies, and taken responsibility for fixing them. Pride is a powerful thing true but I would be shocked if at this point Thorsten hasn't called the CEO of Netflix personally and offered the moon to make this happen, but that does not mean that they will regardless of what he offers.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-24-12 09:56 PM
    Sorry but that is not correct. The original Tivo NetFlix app was done by Tivo and it was not all that great -- it worked and supported the Tivo remote directly but it was clunky and slow in navigation. It was done years ago. The new app - just released this year - is a re-write actually done by NetFlix or with their guidance since the interface matches the NF interface on xBox/Playstation, etc. and does not support the Tivo remote directly. (new app is better/faster though).

So Tivo expended the resources at a time of their sharpest decline (adding NF and Amazon Video to stem losses from the Roku type boxes hitting the market). And now NetFlix has expended some time and effort in a time in which Tivo -- although growing -- is a very small fish (after its decline) with little chance of ever having a large user base.

About the only difference I can see in effort paying off is someone with a set top TV box and NetFlix is a lot more likely to use the service than someone that owns "tablet X" that can run NetFlix.
    You just hit the nail in the head (my emphasis added)... Tivo is GROWING... and Blackberry ISN'T, and conventional wisdom is that it isn't going to. None of us want to admit either of these things because we love Blackberry and RIM, and see a lot of promise in BB10; but to the rest of the world RIM is living on savings and borrowed time. Until RIM can demonstrate otherwise that perception is reality to most people.

And in all likelihood the new Vivo app (while it may look and perform differently) is probably based upon the old one at least in part.
    09-24-12 10:52 PM
    The short answer is (as I recall) that it would require access to hardware acceleration and that is not available to the Android Player.

Do you have a playbook? Even on the 2.1 beta the Android apps work but are mostly wonky in my experience. They are getting better but still not as good as native apps.
    I do have a Playbook - to the end user ( people who purchase tablets ) the only concern they have....
    ...Is if it can consume media.
    ...That's a yes or no question.

The Playbook will either be voodoo'd so it can consume media like Netflix....
    ...Or it's game over for Playbook.
    ...If Netflix could sell another 3 or 4 million subscriptions they would do it in a New York second.
    09-24-12 11:32 PM
    I do have a Playbook - to the end user ( people who purchase tablets ) the only concern they have....

...If Netflix could sell another 3 or 4 million subscriptions they would do it in a New York second.
    The playbook can fun apps like Netflix but only as NAVIVE apps.
    09-24-12 11:50 PM

Sorry, I won't be one of those subscribers.
    09-25-12 12:19 AM
    You just hit the nail in the head (my emphasis added)... Tivo is GROWING... and Blackberry ISN'T, and conventional wisdom is that it isn't going to. None of us want to admit either of these things because we love Blackberry and RIM, and see a lot of promise in BB10; but to the rest of the world RIM is living on savings and borrowed time. Until RIM can demonstrate otherwise that perception is reality to most people.

And in all likelihood the new Vivo app (while it may look and perform differently) is probably based upon the old one at least in part.

At the rate tivo is growing it'll take 10 years for them to make any meaningful impact to netflix. In fact tivo is expected to more or less die off as google and apple and others (xbox) find ways to partner with cable providers and move into the living room.

The point is... As I guess I need to state it... There are easily as many playbook owners in north america as there are tivo owners that have netflix capability. And once blackberry 10 hits rims user base will dwarf the tivo user base. Therefore it would be very odd for netflix to ignore this while extending resources on other smaller platforms.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-25-12 01:07 AM
    Sorry, I won't be one of those subscribers.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in not being a subscriber....
    ...You simply fit into the 2% of people who still have a RIM product.
    ...I think we can all agree that RIM needs to appeal to a much larger percentage.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-25-12 10:28 AM
    I never understood the reasoning of those who seem to hate apps. Or, those who seem to hate a platform that offers users literally hundereds of thousands of apps. Does it have anything to do with their platform of choice not being the one with all those apps?

Also, IMO, there are many instances where I would much rahter use an app over the official site, mostly on my phone. For example, the Chase Bank app is a lot better for banking on my phones that going to the official Chase full or mobile site.

People wants apps. And the more apps you have, the better choices people have. Too many apps? Maybe for you. But it seems to be working for the platforms that have "too many".
    I can se that, on the phone with the small screen. On my tablet I prefer the full site but understand other tablet owners want those website apps. Apps are needed and I don't think it's jealousy I think some literally would rather go the website than have an app that streamlines the website.
    09-25-12 04:18 PM
    Maybe just maybe Netflix is on there because in the Settings Demo Blog of BB10...Kevin discovered that 55 applications were On the device...though it did not look it when doing the demos. Maybe possibly there are Apps that are secretly hidden. Maybe it's the Major Apps.

Only time will tell, but I just wanted to point this out.
    09-26-12 01:57 AM
    It's more likely counting parts of the OS. The PlayBook does this as well. The app count in the About section doesn't match the number of apps in your App World and the stuff that came with the OS.

I wouldn't take it is as any type of indicator of NetFlix.
    09-26-12 02:08 AM
    It's more likely counting parts of the OS. The PlayBook does this as well. The app count in the About section doesn't match the number of apps in your App World and the stuff that came with the OS.

I wouldn't take it is as any type of indicator of NetFlix.
    Ah, I see...though I don't have a PlayBook but oh well, I thought I was helping. My mistake.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-26-12 02:21 AM
    Netflix matters in the American market and RIM has really struggled recently in the American market, sooooo... wouldn't it make a lot of sense for RIM to get Netflix on board for BB10? Also Netflix has hit a wall with new subscribers sooooo.... shouldn't they want an app on BB10?

For BB10 to succeed in the US market which is a very important market bc people are often willing to splurge more on more expensive phones/plans, I think RIM NEEDS a really good video streaming service like Netflix or Hulu+ or Amazon Prime...
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-26-12 11:57 AM
    Netflix matters in the American market and RIM has really struggled recently in the American market, sooooo... wouldn't it make a lot of sense for RIM to get Netflix on board for BB10? Also Netflix has hit a wall with new subscribers sooooo.... shouldn't they want an app on BB10?

For BB10 to succeed in the US market which is a very important market bc people are often willing to splurge more on more expensive phones/plans, I think RIM NEEDS a really good video streaming service like Netflix or Hulu+ or Amazon Prime...
    It absoultely needs it! If you go to the Netflix site and click help you will find a search window....
    ...You can type in "Windows Phone", "Android phone" and "iphone" and immediately see help suggestions.
    ...Pull the same stunt searching for "Blackberry" and you will see "NO RESULTS FOUND".

You're SO RIGHT here - Blackberry absolutely has to have Netflix - it's going to sell phones for them and get the Playbook moving in the right direction. If not the product no matter how cool - will soup the bed in North America.
    09-30-12 04:09 PM
    No one is disputing that RIM should not do everything that they can to get Netflix (short of bankrupting the company) but ultimately it is not up to them, if Netfllix decides not to support BB10 they can not MAKE them do it.
    10-02-12 08:08 PM
116 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD