It seems kinda ironic that Netflix doesn't want to support the BB environment.
    Think about it, Netflix is under attack by other new competitors but is stubbornly calling the shots as though it is the only game in town.
    Sound familiar?

(It is also ironic that there is a Netflix ad at the top of this webpage, at least for me.)
    09-23-12 08:25 AM
    How is it arrogance by Netflix? It doesn't make sense (from a business standpoint) to create/maintain an app that will not increase your user base.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    09-23-12 08:42 AM
    We might see NetFlix on BB10 at launch. That would certainly be one of the very top apps RIM is pulling out all stops to get.

As for NetFlix on traditional BlackBerrys, there is not a lot of incentive for them. The traditional BB OS is going to be in decline once BB10 hits. Why expend the resources this late in the game?
    Last edited by southlander; 09-23-12 at 08:48 AM.
    09-23-12 08:44 AM
    How is it arrogance by Netflix? It doesn't make sense (from a business standpoint) to create/maintain an app that will not increase your user base.

Except NetFlix has supported Tivo over the years even in its decline. In fact they just totally re-vamped the Tivo app a few months back.

Look around the web and you'll see Tivo is not exactly projected to grow a lot. In fact for years they have been getting the same kind of press as RIM -- an also ran who is about to get their lunch eaten by Roku, Apple TV, Direct TV, etc and others. And in general Tivo's user base has shrank over time though it's growing slightly at this point I think according to a recent article I have read.

Your argument would be great if NetFlix was consistent in their approach.
    Last edited by southlander; 09-23-12 at 08:49 AM.
    09-23-12 08:47 AM

Seems like common business sense to me.

Heck, using the Netflix threads here as an admittedly unscientific source, it is clear most people don't want it, or prefer watching it on the "55-inch screen" at home.

This flies in the face of research that says Netflix and Amazon will see growth on mobile devices, but hey. But by PB users here, it seems clear Netflix made the right decision.
    notfanboy likes this.
    09-23-12 08:52 AM
    It's all business, there isn't enough BB users that will use the app for them to make money? Same for Skype, I use it to call Europe (landline & cell) and I have to use my iPad with a headset, not available for my BB.
    09-23-12 08:52 AM
    I hear RIM offered to go there and help them develop it. Also, can't the Android app be ported over?
    09-23-12 09:11 AM
    This subject has been beat so many times that even I can't handle whining about it anymore.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-23-12 09:11 AM
    Millions Xs $8/month seems like enough to make some cash.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-23-12 09:12 AM
    I hear RIM offered to go there and help them develop it. Also, can't the Android app be ported over?
    I remember reading this article a while ago http://untether.tv/2012/why-netflix-...erry-playbook/

It explains why the android version can't be used.

09-23-12 09:20 AM
    Potential, that amount isn't written in stone. If NF on the PB made smart business sense, then it would have already been done.

They could be waiting for BB10 to come out before releasing an app. No one has any real way of knowing.
    09-23-12 09:23 AM
    Seems like common business sense to me.

Heck, using the Netflix threads here as an admittedly unscientific source, it is clear most people don't want it, or prefer watching it on the "55-inch screen" at home.

This flies in the face of research that says Netflix and Amazon will see growth on mobile devices, but hey. But by PB users here, it seems clear Netflix made the right decision.
    Most people here are fans of Blackberry and as we know that represents only around 2% of the people....
    ...That own a smartphone AND selected to carry a Blackberry.
    ...If most of the people around here don't think Netflix should be on BBX.
    ...I can assure you that Netflix SHOULD BE on BBX.

I've got an iphone and an ipad - my wife uses Netflix ALL THE TIME on the ipad....
    ...I've used Netflix once on the iphone so yes, I agree with you that it's not a big deal on a phone.
    ...It's an F'ing HUGE deal to not have it on a tablet.

And as we know many people who bought iphones FIRST bought an ipad or ipod.....
    ...Impressed with how easily those devices consumed media and bought the phone.

This is where RIM wants to be.

RIM evidently listened to the apologetics that said if people want to watch Netflix they can just watch it on their big screen t.v.....
    ...And if People want to take as good of a picture as someone on an iphone they can just pack their DSLR camera around.
    ...And if someone wants to do stuff online like someone on a Droid can then they can just bring a notebook computer with an aircard.

LOL = people started replacing blackberries with Droids and iphones.....
    ...And they did it by the hordes.
    ....And we can see where this left RIM.
    ....With approx 2% userbase in North America.
    Last edited by pythons; 09-23-12 at 10:00 AM.
    09-23-12 09:57 AM
    timmy, timmy, timmy, LET.IT.GO.
    09-23-12 09:58 AM
    I think there needs to be other things than just netflix. I said in anther fourm that smartphone OS aren't becoming "unique" to themselves because you can do the same thing on the other phones and there isn't any difference besides the OS designs and pricing, in my opinion. Netflix will get the crowd that doesn't know tech as much to buy BB10 but still I think BB10 needs anther company that provides the same service as netflix but better. I think they should partner with cable companies to offer TV streaming or have the latest episode online right after it premiers on TV. So people can be connected with their shows etc.
    09-23-12 11:23 AM
    A lot of people say they don't care about NF.
    Would be very interesting to look at the numbers if NF did become available on the pb i suspect a lot of the I don't cares would be hiding the NF app on their pb's imo.
    And I have to agree with trsbbs even in my short time on the forums the subject at hand has been beaten to a bloody pulp.
    I am a subscriber to NF for a long time and for 8 bucks a month to be able to go mobile with it on my t300 is a big plus in my book.
    Last edited by esk369; 09-23-12 at 11:50 AM.
    kacantrell likes this.
    09-23-12 11:45 AM
    Even though the millions of Blackberry users out there, how many of them are in the markets that Netflix offers service?

And, maybe Netflix is also looking at how many people actually bought/own a Playbook, and they are probably looking at how RIM is losing market share.

I'm pretty sure that if Netflix thought they could make a lot of money by making a Blackberry app, they would have made one a long time ago. I doubt its anything personal.

It is unfortunate though. I know and have overheard people dismiss the Playbook because it didn't have apps like Netflix or Hulu.
    esk369 and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-23-12 12:06 PM
    Even though the millions of Blackberry users out there, how many of them are in the markets that Netflix offers service?

And, maybe Netflix is also looking at how many people actually bought/own a Playbook, and they are probably looking at how RIM is losing market share.

I'm pretty sure that if Netflix thought they could make a lot of money by making a Blackberry app, they would have made one a long time ago. I doubt its anything personal.

It is unfortunate though. I know and have overheard people dismiss the Playbook because it didn't have apps like Netflix or Hulu.
    If we can trust what we have learned here at Crackberry about this issue....
    ...RIM has openly offered to pay for the app to be built for Netflix.
    ...There wouldn't be any cost to Netflix.

I'm willing to bet that every Playbook owner would be happy to pay $2.99 for a Netflix app anyway....
    ...And all that could go to Netflix if that's what it would take.

Somewhere along the line someone BIG at RIM must have really pissed off a really big fish at Netflix....
    ...There is really no other reason for this issue.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    09-23-12 12:15 PM
    I wouldn't trust something like this without a source. Forum members make up a lot of nonsense around here...
    09-23-12 12:25 PM
    If Netflix was available for BB, I would pick up three Playbooks this afternoon.
    09-23-12 12:32 PM

I'm willing to bet that every Playbook owner would be happy to pay $2.99 for a Netflix app anyway....
    ...And all that could go to Netflix if that's what it would take.

Somewhere along the line someone BIG at RIM must have really pissed off a really big fish at Netflix....
    I think the reasons for this issue, are:

the numbers. RIM's market share is declining
    BB OS 7 is not doing well in the markets that offer Netflix
    BB 10 is just 3 months away. Why now support a soon to be last gen OS
    The negative opinion a lot of customers have in regards to the Blackberry brand, in the markets where Netflix is offered.

Not saying all, but some.

I think Netflix has a reason why they aren't bothering with a Blackberry app. Is it personal? Only Netflix, and maybe RIM knows.

Also, for every reason why Netflix should make a Blackberry app, wouldn't those reasons apply to the other popular apps that are still not being made for blackberry? Again, I'm sure they all have their reasons for not making a BB app. I think its simply about numbers, market share, and potential profits to be made.
    09-23-12 12:47 PM
    Yes there is something to it other than the simple numbers. As is evidenced by NetFlix supporting other platforms that have small user bases.

From here:

Breakdown On The Number Of Broadband Enabled Devices Sold In The U.S. - Dan Rayburn - StreamingMediaBlog.com

"TiVo: While TiVo doesn�t break out how many Series 1, 2 or 3 units have been sold individually, at the end of June, it had 1.6 million standalone TiVo subscribers. I estimate that 65 percent of those are Series 1 or 2, which means that there are roughly 525,000 Series 3 TiVos today. The company has said that 85 percent of its HD TiVos are connected via broadband, which puts the number of units capable of getting content via Amazon or Netflix at around 445,000. For DVRs that can get YouTube content the number is likely higher, since YouTube only requires a Series 2 DVR. TiVo also said that to date, about 50M downloads have taken place to TiVo units. They didn�t say that was "paid content" but rather total downloads. They also said that �millions and millions of streams to date� have taken place for Netflix and YouTube content."

So as of 2009 when this was published Tivo had 500k possible users of NetFlix, max. How much could it have grown since then? If you look around at some other articles you see that Tivo does very well IF it adds 100k subscribers in a quarter and most quarters are less than that. So being generous -- the most subscribers there could be is probably around 1.5 million that can receive NetFlix. And as I have said NF just pumped out a totally revamped Tivo app.

This is evidence that NetFlix is actively supporting devices with relatively small user bases. It is not all just "smart business" or "the numbers". There is something political about all this.
    09-23-12 01:33 PM
    I wouldn't trust something like this without a source. Forum members make up a lot of nonsense around here...
    You may very well be right.

At a simple statistical level NF is not interesting to a large proportion of BB users. It is simply Not Available in their region. Even where it is available many use their phone as a communication and business tool and could not care less about NF, wouldn't pay a bent penny for it. That seems to leave the apparent demand coming from a small minority of loudmouthed screamers some of whom appear to be non-BB users only here to spread trollery.
    09-23-12 01:34 PM
    While I agree that the Netflix issue has been bashed out on here and I'm personally sick to death of it ... I still maintain that Netflix is only a good thing for the US. Hulu is the same.

The rest of the world either can't get Netflix, or in Canada's case, what's offered on Netflix Canada isn't worth $1 a month let alone $8! Now in Canada's case the fault lies, not with Netflix but with the Canadian government. Be that as it may, as a Canadian, I couldn't give two cents for a Netflix app.

To me, Netflix is not a must have app. In short, if Netflix is on BB10, whoppee for those who want it. Hopefully I'll be able to delete it from mine.
    Bairdo likes this.
    09-23-12 01:39 PM
    You may very well be right.

At a simple statistical level NF is not interesting to a large proportion of BB users. It is simply Not Available in their region. Even where it is available many use their phone as a communication and business tool and could not care less about NF, wouldn't pay a bent penny for it. That seems to leave the apparent demand coming from a small minority of loudmouthed screamers some of whom appear to be non-BB users only here to spread trollery.
    I have what I hope is not to stupid a question is NF not available in the UK?
    And I have to agree trying to watch a movie on a phone screen is not an option at least for myself but I do enjoy watching on the laptop and tab from time to time.
    09-23-12 01:45 PM
    Netflix is in the business to sell subscriptions to it's service via the internet, period....
    ...The Playbook is simply a device that get's you on the internet.
    ...I can be ON my own wifi and can access Netflix on my PC, T.V. Ipad or Droid.
    ...I get the message that my device is NOT support when I attempt to connect via my Playbook.

If RIM is willing to pay for the cost to develop the Netflix App for it's tablet and Netflix says no thanks....
    ...Something else is going on here - who knows what it is.
    ...Perhaps RIM works in such a way that it would have to give some of it's secret sauce to Netflix.
    ...In order for the App to even work.

There must be a reason why I saw with my own eyes Hulu working just fine on a RIM Rep's Playbook...
    ...Well prior to the launch of the Playbook and then viola - Hulu no longer works!

At this point it does not matter why someone can't buy a Playbook and watch Netflix or Hulu...
    ...The consumer doesn't give a rat's rectum 'why', the only thing they care about is if the Playbook is Karate-do or Karate-don't.
    ...Only those of us who really like Blackberry speculate as to why we can't do it.
    ...It's our way of justifying why it is we can't do something everyone else can.
    ...& as we can see - this is VERY bad thinking for a company in a supply and demand market.
    09-23-12 01:51 PM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD