Third party clients are simply not happening. WhatsApp is very uptight about there security through obscurity model.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1478

We used to base our code on this for a webOS client. Worked well until protocol changed weekly.
    It's interesting though, isn't whatsApp still vulnerable through the ss7 flw via carriers? And Telegram too?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 11:54 AM
    In the beginning many developers of apps like FaceBook, Instagram and other apps... appreciated 3rd party apps filing the gaps in the fringe ecosystems.

Today with Android and iOS dominating the market and security and privacy being such a concern... the trend is to shut down the access that these once enjoyed. It's great for users, as long as they aren't part of the 2%.
    07-05-16 12:27 PM
    In the beginning many developers of apps like FaceBook, Instagram and other apps... appreciated 3rd party apps filing the gaps in the fringe ecosystems.

Today with Android and iOS dominating the market and security and privacy being such a concern... the trend is to shut down the access that these once enjoyed. It's great for users, as long as they aren't part of the 2%.
    Which is what I mean by security through obscurity...

App full of security holes, but as long as nobody knows about them, they are secure. And we'll beat the crap out of anyone who knows about them. Except reality looks more like an ostrich digging its head in sand.
    07-05-16 01:30 PM
    Can anybody remember this and fill in details.

As we were readying for the initial release of BB10, I believe that BlackBerry had lined up a third party developer to create a Whatsapp client. At the last minute, BlackBerry pulled their commitment to the third party to allow Whatsapp to be the preferred client. I remember the developer posting something very angry as he had committed a lot of time to the project only to have it taken away closer to the BB10/Z10 launch.

I don't JC could ask him again.
    07-08-16 03:21 PM
    Can anybody remember this and fill in details.

As we were readying for the initial release of BB10, I believe that BlackBerry had lined up a third party developer to create a Whatsapp client. At the last minute, BlackBerry pulled their commitment to the third party to allow Whatsapp to be the preferred client. I remember the developer posting something very angry as he had committed a lot of time to the project only to have it taken away closer to the BB10/Z10 launch.

I don't JC could ask him again.
    I think the issue now is WhatsApp is limiting connections to their Servers... the APIs that developer might have used aren't going to be available. And the question now is if somehow they will be blocking non-Android phones from using the Android App.

Anyway Nemory does have his WhatsUp10 app - have no idea how well it does or doesn't work. But it's based on the desktop version of the app....
    And who knows what developers might be able to do, once it's clear what WhatsApp will do.
    07-08-16 03:29 PM
    Check beta zone. Cellninja just released a Headless app that fixes media sharing with the android app. Tested it out and it works nicely.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 04:06 PM
    I think the issue now is WhatsApp is limiting connections to their Servers... the APIs that developer might have used aren't going to be available. And the question now is if somehow they will be blocking non-Android phones from using the Android App.

Anyway Nemory does have his WhatsUp10 app - have no idea how well it does or doesn't work. But it's based on the desktop version of the app....
    And who knows what developers might be able to do, once it's clear what WhatsApp will do.
    I'd guess they'll block it. Otherwise why not let the BB10 version continue to work and say they won't support it / update it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 04:37 PM
32 12