Hi everyone,

I'm seriously thinking for some weeks to move to blackberry. I've been getting a bit frustrated with my Android phone, and sometimes the touch screen slows me down a lot.
    I tried a bit using some BBs and got really enthusiastic with the keyboard.

My main doubt is that I may miss some of the features of my current smartphone - namely, excellent google integration (mail, calendar, contacts), great maps and free gps, and the fact that it is a really fast-growing platform.

So I'm kind of divided here.. but really wanting to try the BBs. Please convince me to change Let me know some great advantages of the BBs (besides the really common ones, yes, I know it has push mail...)

thanks!!
    12-10-10 05:33 PM
    uses less data ,,,,battery life; easier menu navigation; more robust.......bbm.....more dependable
    12-10-10 06:07 PM
    One of the best is a physical keyboard. RIM makes some of the best. There are some good virtual keyboards but nothing beats the physical. Like it was stated, they use less data, better battery life (by far).

But honestly, no one can convience you to change. There are some die hard Android users. There are the same in BlackBerry and Apple users as well. If it suits your needs, it is the right choice for you. Try one out and if its for you, you will love it and won't be able to live without.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-10 06:22 PM
    To replace the free nav, try waze. Its not as good (yet) but I use it. Make sure and get a good case if you're at all rough on devices. I recommend the AGF GRT for the Torch.
    Last edited by KEB64; 12-10-10 at 06:57 PM.
    12-10-10 06:44 PM
    google integration I think is excellent with BB. Maile, contacts & calendar
    12-10-10 07:00 PM
    Now that BIS 3.2 is out BB has made calendar and contacts part of the native email setup. Even though I still prefer using google sync.
    12-10-10 07:29 PM
    Blackberrys have a wonderful spell check, battery without a doubt, I think the size of a blackberry is much nicer I can actually do things one handed. But, in the end it's up to you. I did a lot of checking into the Android platform and it was NOT for me, but that's me. Hang out with your blackberry buddies and pay attention to how they use their phones vs what you need your phone to do.

12-10-10 10:47 PM
    One of the best is a physical keyboard. RIM makes some of the best. There are some good virtual keyboards but nothing beats the physical. Like it was stated, they use less data, better battery life (by far).

But honestly, no one can convience you to change. There are some die hard Android users. There are the same in BlackBerry and Apple users as well. If it suits your needs, it is the right choice for you. Try one out and if its for you, you will love it and won't be able to live without.

This is perfect and spot on. Good post!

I say in the end, depending on which carrier you are on you should have 14-30 days to try the phone out and that should give you plenty of time to "test" out a phone...yeah you can learn a thing or two going to the store and playing with them for a bit, but to get really in-depth with a phone, need more time that an hour or so...

You do have to pay a re-stocking fee though. IMO worth it, especially if in a contract.

Good luck!

12-11-10 07:48 AM
    Your main concerns are good ones. But all of them will be solved with a blackberry. It has great integration with mail, contacts, calendar (as stated in previous posts). The thing I see mostly with my friends that try BB after a droid or iphone....apps. You will not have near as many apps to choose from. Here is how I put it to them, of you want greayt security and reliability, with a few apps here and there to kepp you entertained, then go BB. If you want to have decent messaging (email/sms) plus a TON of apps...go droid or iphone. Most of the peoplemy age (23) just want a cool phone that can do cool things (cool apps) and the BB as YET (will eventually) to offer anything that compares to iphone/droid apps.

12-11-10 08:00 AM
    Hi everyone,

I'm seriously thinking for some weeks to move to blackberry. I've been getting a bit frustrated with my Android phone, and sometimes the touch screen slows me down a lot.
    I tried a bit using some BBs and got really enthusiastic with the keyboard.
    The BB keyboard is impossible to beat. The keyboard on my Droid 2 isn't bad but the BB keyboards still have a better feel to them.

My main doubt is that I may miss some of the features of my current smartphone - namely, excellent google integration (mail, calendar, contacts), great maps and free gps, and the fact that it is a really fast-growing platform.
    The Google integration isn't as good on BB as it is on Android. You have to use Google Sync, which had been somewhat buggy on my former 9630 Tour anyway. You can't browse your archived messages/"folders" natively in the BB mail application, only pushed new messages and items you've kept/saved to your device.

If you switch to BB currently you lose Google turn by turn voice navigation also which last I knew was only available on Android devices.

So I'm kind of divided here.. but really wanting to try the BBs. Please convince me to change Let me know some great advantages of the BBs (besides the really common ones, yes, I know it has push mail...)

thanks!!
    I don't think anybody can convince you nor should they. Take a sheet of paper and write down the pros/cons of both platforms and weight them depending on how important they are to you.

Spend a ton of time (an hour or more) in your carrier's corporate store (because they're most likely to have the devices activated) and play with any device you're considering. After that, you still get your trial period, but be aware of potential restocking fees if you early upgrade to it and return it. Make sure to check on their policy.
    12-11-10 08:29 AM
    You shouldn't have to use google sync with the new BIS that they have out.......

12-11-10 08:32 AM
    You shouldn't have to use google sync with the new BIS that they have out.......

Does that still give the duplicate contact issues and other things that sync had problems with?

It still doesn't allow browsing the archives/"folders" though in the email does it?

The BIS support for gmail is interesting, I never got to try it before I switched.
    12-11-10 08:37 AM
    Not that I can tell ( to be honest I have only synced contacts with it for about a week...but seems to work great)

You can't look at the messages in archives/folders(hopefully this is an added feature), but you can put them in a(n) archive/folder from your BB.

But you could download the Google Mobile app and I believe thaty gives access to them, just not in the native email app.

12-11-10 08:42 AM
    I had BB for almost 3 years and just made the switch to Android. I do miss some things on BB but also love a lot of things on my new Droid Incredible. I had debated for a long time and with issues I began having, made the switch. I had to pay for it too. My only dismay is the battery life and I knew this going into the switch. Eventually I will get an extended battery. Although my battery life lasted longer on BB I still charged nightly cause it is my only means of communication. I am liking the internet exp on the Incredible. It is impressive.
    There are things about BB that are still excellent. I would never bash it. If I could, I would use both, but I can only have one.
    12-15-10 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD