I posted this in the 8100 forum, but thought the answer could be universal and more people would see it here...

I've searched around and found instructions on re-mapping drive letters to get the BB to show up as a removable drive, but I have a different problem...

Using media manager, I can transfer stuff to device memory but it will NOT let me access the card. (and YES, mass media mode is ON ) Windoze doesn't show the BB anywhere except in the Device Manager where it has an exclamation point on it and the details say that this device is not operating properly (Error code 10)... As such, it doesn't show up as an available drive in explorer and you can't re-map what isn't there...

Do I just need to update the windows driver through the device manager? If I update the driver, is it only updating Windows or will it try to update the BB as well?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    -Josh
    11-13-07 07:55 AM
    i'd try to uninstall the desktop manager software and reinstall it ... sounds like it was a bad install ...
    11-13-07 09:58 AM
    I have the same problem and am currently trying the reinstall as we speak.
    11-13-07 12:08 PM
    I tried a re-install of the DM with no luck... I even downloaded 4.3 with no luck. (I even re-installed it a 2nd time and ONLY chose the BB Device manager - which shows everything is connected fine btw...)

If I open up windows device manager, under the USB controller, it lists a Blackberry Smartphone which does not show any errors, but under Disk Drives, it shows "Rim Blackberry USB SD Device" which is where the exclamation point shows up and it says "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

Per the instructions in the knowledge base on blackberry.com, I tried uninstalling ALL the USB drivers then re-booted so windows would reinstall - again, no luck...

I tried to update the USB driver to the latest one that came with DM 4.3, but windows comes back and says that it my current driver is the latest.

I'm on hold waiting for AT&T tech support as I type...
    11-13-07 04:32 PM
    Help from AT&T doesn't look good...

The cust svc rep told me that the ONLY way to txfr files to/from the BB is through media manager. So she made me re-install it.

Next she insisted that I turn off mass storage mode. Then remove and reinstall the card. She's perplexed that the sd card isn't showing up in media manager...
    11-13-07 05:12 PM
    hmm i just copied everthing from the card to a folder on my desktop /shrug
    11-13-07 05:45 PM
    Latest update...

I hung up with AT&T as soon as they put me through to a RIM technician and gave me a case #... Then after the kids were in bed, I came back in to work and gave RIM technical support a call.

Went through the usual routine; He had me remove and reinstall the card, uninstall then reinstall desktop manager, turn mass storage off then back on, then again while still connected to the PC, etc, etc... End result is that he said my microSD card was bad. (How come the BB can see it and use it just fine?)

So, I swing by Wal-Mart on the way home and pick up a new Sandisk 1GB card (was previously using a PNY 1GB card). First thing this morning I switch cards, format the new one and plug the BB in to the PC to see what happens. No change - Media Manager still only sees the device memory and the BB SD card shows up in windows device manager under disk drives as "did not start properly (Code 10)".

I copied a few photos to device memory and then moved them to the card manually, but that's a pain. I thought about buying an SD card reader for my PC, but it'll be a pain to take the card in and out of the BB every time I want to drop a new photo of my kids on it...

Advice? Call RIM back and continue to go through the process or just give up and get a card reader or copy to device memory and move? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening to me whine!
    -Josh
    Last edited by JWR1221; 11-14-07 at 08:11 AM.
    11-14-07 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD