Well I just ordered a Phantom Skinz screen protector for my Tour and after watching an installation video I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the process. Does anyone have any tips for me to make the install a little easier?

Also I have a few clarification questions regarding the install:

1. What did you use to clean your screen prior to install?

2. In the instruction video they said to add a drop of dish soap to 32 oz of warm water. I've seen a couple of posts here on CB stating that it's not necessary to add the soap and can actually create a "rainbow" effect after the skin is installed. Is this true? Do I need to add soap or no?

3. It's also stated in the video that the device should stay off for at least 24hrs after install to allow any moisture to dry. Do I really need to keep it off that long? That's quite a while to be without a mode of communication (especially a BB lol).
    07-20-09 03:42 PM
    yes one tip follow the instructions, i put it on my and my wifes curve with no problems, its a lot easier than it seems. i felt overwhelmed too.

just take your time. and make sure the phone is off, be careful as to how much water you let get on the phone.
    07-20-09 03:50 PM
    yes one tip follow the instructions, i put it on my and my wifes curve with no problems, its a lot easier than it seems. i felt overwhelmed too.

just take your time. and make sure the phone is off, be careful as to how much water you let get on the phone.
    How did you clean the screen?
    07-20-09 06:41 PM
    Hi, don't worry you will be fine, its quite easy as long as you take your time, fitted to my 8900 & flip with no problems.

sit yourself down at a clean work space with no distractions, I cleaned my handset prior to install with the lint free cloth, then buffed up with a lens cloth from my glasses. Then lost of blowing to make sure there was no dust.

Wash your hands a few times to make sure they are really clean.

I did use 1 drop of mild baby shampoo in my water mix, makes it much easier to apply, also had a seperate small bowl of water mix to keep dipping my fingers in, keep your fingers wet while applying the skin.

I as really paranoid about water getting in down the gap beteen the screen & casing, but i used the corner of a tissue to soak up any excess water as i went along.

I found it much easier to do all of the large areas first and let them set for 10mins before moving onto the harder corners, if not the the ones you have just applies keep moving around until they start to dryout/stick.

As for ** long it takes to dry, i ould suggest you follow Psinz 24hrs, hoever mine as ok after 8hrs.

hope this helps, best of luck.
    Last edited by d-tech007; 07-20-09 at 07:03 PM. Reason: god damded keyboard, got a faulty w wwww ww www
    07-20-09 07:00 PM
    Well I just ordered a Phantom Skinz screen protector for my Tour and after watching an installation video I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the process. Does anyone have any tips for me to make the install a little easier?

Also I have a few clarification questions regarding the install:

1. What did you use to clean your screen prior to install?

2. In the instruction video they said to add a drop of dish soap to 32 oz of warm water. I've seen a couple of posts here on CB stating that it's not necessary to add the soap and can actually create a "rainbow" effect after the skin is installed. Is this true? Do I need to add soap or no?

3. It's also stated in the video that the device should stay off for at least 24hrs after install to allow any moisture to dry. Do I really need to keep it off that long? That's quite a while to be without a mode of communication (especially a BB lol).
    Hi iceman,

I think everyone answered your questions. However, to clean your phone I would recommend using the 70% Isopropyl Alcohol on a clean lint free cloth to do it. It takes any oils away. Also, it works really good when you get any annoying lint or dust that seems to stick on your phone, whether on the skin or not. That stuff just rocks for a cleaner!

Any other questions????

Guru
    07-20-09 11:25 PM
    Hi iceman,

I think everyone answered your questions. However, to clean your phone I would recommend using the 70% Isopropyl Alcohol on a clean lint free cloth to do it. It takes any oils away. Also, it works really good when you get any annoying lint or dust that seems to stick on your phone, whether on the skin or not. That stuff just rocks for a cleaner!

Any other questions????

Guru
    Actually I was wondering if I decide to pay to have someone install it (kinda sketched out about the whole water+electronic devices thing) where can I take it? I know you guys are based in AZ which is where I am as well. Do you guys have a kiosk in Arrowhead Mall (I live about 4 mi from there)?
    07-21-09 01:41 AM
    I know that there is a Ghost Armor inside Desert Sky. The only actual Phantom Skins is in Gilbert. Other places might do it but thats the only original retailer in Arizona.
    07-21-09 05:48 AM
    I know that there is a Ghost Armor inside Desert Sky. The only actual Phantom Skins is in Gilbert. Other places might do it but thats the only original retailer in Arizona.
    Thanks Wolf.
    07-21-09 04:45 PM
    Well I just turned on my Tour after installing my Phantom Skinz screen protector 8 hours ago and I have to say that these things are amazing!! You can't even tell it's there! I can now see the Tour screen in all of it's glory!!

The only thing I didn't like was the install process and the wait time. One thing I did screw up was that I got a tiny fleck of something on the adhesive side and I didn't notice it until I was on the white screen during boot up. That sucks cause its far too late now to pull the skin off and retry. Kinda irritating but I'll get over it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 04:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD