Hey I am currently looking into switching from my Helio to a BB. After deciding that VZW and AT&T are the carriers with the best coverage in my area (NYC & surrounding), I am now conflicted as to which to go with. Can anyone help me decide on a devide and company that would suit me best? I text and email plenty and would like to still use Google Maps like on my Helio ( I heard VZW cripples theirs???). I also need a good browser, I am not quite clear on if 3G or WiFi is best and how they differ. I was looking at the Curves and want to know if the 8310 is older than the 8330, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the models. And is it worth waiting for the Bold?? I know its a lot to ask but I have never had a BB before and would like to make the best decision I can. Thanks so much!!
    07-05-08 01:57 PM
    Lecture 3: How to Choose the Right BlackBerry for You! | CrackBerry.com

And yes, VZW forces you to subscribe to their GPS service if you want to use the internal GPS.
    07-05-08 02:03 PM
    GMS carriers give you more options to switch to the latest device. CDMA carrier are always a bit behind. The 8330 is newer than the 8310, but really the difference is CDMA vs. GMS. The 8330 does have faster data, but this hasn't been as big a deal as I expected when I switched from Verizon to AT&T. You just need to decide which carrier you prefer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-08 02:12 PM
    Another huge difference is the 8330 has more on board memory than the 8310, so you don't have to worry about available memory like on the other models.
    07-05-08 02:20 PM
    Another huge difference is the 8330 has more on board memory than the 8310, so you don't have to worry about available memory like on the other models.
    I wouldn't go as far to say as you don't have to worry about free file... You can still overload the device with pics, music, apps, and vids.
    07-05-08 02:23 PM
    Based on Ur needs, it would seem that Verizon's not in Ur best interest. And as Renee said- more on board memory means fewer battery pulls.

Good luck deciding! Let us know which one U get.

07-05-08 02:25 PM
    Oh don't get me wrong, I still did the memory optimization, but even with about 10 themes, Viigo, Google Maps, Weather Eye, Facebook, Crackberry, BB411, and 5 games on it I run with 44 Mb free.
    07-05-08 02:37 PM
    If I were you, being a new consumer in the BB industry, I would go for the more full capable BB.

Look into the 8830, its great, and with just a little time you will have it all figured.
    07-05-08 02:38 PM
    The 8330 is able to tether and has a video camera and came with 4.3 os from verizon, they are the best company to deal with as far as customer service. I am not sure when the bold comes out with verizon but you can always sell your blackberry if you are wanting to upgrade. I have never had trouble getting a reasonable price if you take care of it, so you can upgrade when the bold comes out but you will have to pay retail. If you are planning to do this, you might want to start with a used model then get the discount price of the bold by signing a contract when it drops. In any case, whatever BB you get you will love. They are so much fun as well as practical.

Good Luck,
    07-05-08 02:45 PM
    Thanks all so much for the help. Now with the WiFi and 3G...what is the real deal there? is it better to have the 3G with AT&T since I surf the web a lot? I heard VZW cripples the WiFi on the 8330 and that the only model with available WiFi is the 8320 from Sprint? Are these things true?
    Again thanks so much you guys are helping a bunch!
    07-05-08 02:45 PM
    The 8330 does not have WiFi at all regardless of carrier. Thats the 8320. From what I am told Verizon cripples the GPS, something Bell doesn't do thankfully...
    07-05-08 02:51 PM
    Oh don't get me wrong, I still did the memory optimization, but even with about 10 themes, Viigo, Google Maps, Weather Eye, Facebook, Crackberry, BB411, and 5 games on it I run with 44 Mb free.
    I so need to get the 8330. I have the 8830 right now. Its my first BB. Don't get me wrong, its a wonderful device. The best I have ever had. But I do believe I want the Curve.

07-05-08 02:54 PM
    I use my 8330 BB from Verizon as an internet tether and I haven't had a problem downloading anything and it runs quickly for what it is. I am not sure what you mean by cripples, but I am on the internet all the time with mine and it is quick to download anything I have tried on the phone but maybe they are talking about something specific, Also, the 8330 will hold an 8G SD card the others will only hold a 4G, which is still alot but I like having the larger one. ATT shares towers and loses connections all the time. Verizon towers are dedicated and I love the dependability. I was concerned at first about the 5G limit for streaming on my tether but you pay extra for this feature and the only time I got close was when my son spent 3 days watching youtube when he was sick. For normal internet use it is more than enough.
    07-05-08 02:54 PM
    If you have gone this long w/o having a bb I would def suggest you wait for the Bold!!! 3G,GPS, and wifi!!
    07-05-08 02:55 PM
    There is no wifi on the 8330, the only wifi curve I believe is the 8320 and that's only available from tmobile (or you could get one unlocked and use it on AT&T, but then I dont think they have GPS). As far as 3G goes... you might wanna wait for the Bold on AT&T if you want 3G (has wifi as an added bonus too), no release date yet, but hopefully in a month or two it seems.
    07-05-08 03:00 PM
    I so need to get the 8330. I have the 8830 right now. Its my first BB. Don't get me wrong, its a wonderful device. The best I have ever had. But I do believe I want the Curve.

Just to make you quake with jealousy...

Here is what I run on my Berry.

Beyond 411
    Crackberry Launcher
    Chuzzle
    Crackberry Abuser Theme
    Corkberry Theme
    Flow Zen Theme
    HomeScreen Theme
    Luminescence Zen theme
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Google Maps
    Guitar Hero
    iBerry Theme
    Opera Mini
    PacMan
    Precision Zen Theme
    Pro Bowling 2
    SameCell
    Soft Reset
    Viigo
    WeatherEye

Keep in mind when I did the memory optimization I left on the preloaded wallpapers and brickbreaker as well. I also unlocked the T Mobile UK and US themes as well as the Verizon on top of the Bell themes.

Current file free? 45.455828 MB

I love the 8330...
    07-05-08 03:05 PM
    hmmmmm the Bold is looking mighty tasty right now to me....I just heard they were having major battery life problems with it, but hopefully that is taken care of once its out. Does anyone know if its ONLY AT&T that will have the Bold or will VZW sink its teeth in it too?
    07-05-08 03:05 PM
    After all that voicing of Opinions ( everybody got one too ) I'm sure that Jules55 is even more confused than before.
    My suggestion is to take a little bit of time and browse the forum, that way you'll get a better picture of what is happening with the Various phones and Carriers.
    Also take a look here at BlackBerry - PDA - BlackBerry Handheld Devices at BlackBerry.com and within a couple of days you'll have a good idea of what you want and a better understanding of BB.
    Best of luck on your venture, but most importantly >>>>
    Welcome to the Crack!
    07-05-08 05:20 PM
    Thanks CrackBlack.....i have been searching these forums for a week now and just decided to post a thread to ask my own questions. I will check the link you gave me above. I can't wait to have a crack of my own!!
    07-05-08 07:12 PM
    I wouldn't go as far to say as you don't have to worry about free file... You can still overload the device with pics, music, apps, and vids.
    Why would the device be overloaded? Isnt that what the "media" card is for?
    07-05-08 07:18 PM
    I peraonally would go with GSM, but it is all up to the person.
    07-05-08 07:23 PM
    Thanks CrackBlack.....i have been searching these forums for a week now and just decided to post a thread to ask my own questions. I will check the link you gave me above. I can't wait to have a crack of my own!!
    We'll look forward to hear all about your new BB in a couple of Days and to offer Congrats at that time.
    07-05-08 08:28 PM
    I have to wait a few weeks before I can get out of my current contract.....so is it worth it to wait for the Bold?
    07-07-08 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD