As I didn't really get an answer on another forum, so I try it here.

I bought my very first BB (Bold - 9700) and I don't have a BB- dataplan yet. So i'm wondering how I can turn off the GPRS and make sure I'm only surfing on WIFI. I don't want to pay lots and lots of money so I really need some help! :-)

Thanks in advance!
    11-05-10 10:34 AM
    Go into Manage Connections - untick Mobile Network but leave Wifi ticked then save. You will only be able to surf on the wifi, no BB services will be available without a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 10:51 AM
    So I won't be able to phone/sms? Isn't there another way to surf on wifi without turning the ability to phone/sms off?
    11-05-10 10:56 AM
    Even this won't work. Connecting over WIFI just sends the data to the BIS servers over your internet connection instead of over the wireless carriers network.

Without a data plan from your carrier, I don't think the BIS servers will allow your phone to surf through them. A portion of that data plan fee goes to RIM to manage/run the BIS servers. Access to the BIS servers is provisioned by the carriers when you sign up for a data plan. And, there is no way to bypass the BIS servers at this time. They are a proxy between your BB and the world.

You can use the phone and SMS functions without a dataplan. But, many carriers (Like AT&T) can detect you are using a BB and will charge you for a data plan regardless.
    11-05-10 11:33 AM
    Like wolfman said, without a data plan, you'll only have phone features, there is no other way around it, except getting a pocket pc to surf using wifi with.

11-05-10 04:36 PM
    One thing you MIGHT try, if you can find the ALX file to install it, BOLT browser supports WiFi, but I'm not sure if it does direct TCP/IP, or has to run through BIS.

If you can find a copy of the desktop ALX installer, you can install it with desktop manager (Normally, you would do that Over the air with the default browser).
    11-05-10 08:58 PM
    Even this won't work. Connecting over WIFI just sends the data to the BIS servers over your internet connection instead of over the wireless carriers network.

Without a data plan from your carrier, I don't think the BIS servers will allow your phone to surf through them. A portion of that data plan fee goes to RIM to manage/run the BIS servers. Access to the BIS servers is provisioned by the carriers when you sign up for a data plan. And, there is no way to bypass the BIS servers at this time. They are a proxy between your BB and the world.

You can use the phone and SMS functions without a dataplan. But, many carriers (Like AT&T) can detect you are using a BB and will charge you for a data plan regardless.
    From my observation, this is not true. I bought my 9700 fromtmobile without a data plan and initially used wifi at work and at home to connect to the internet and surf the web. Only the web browser worked under the "hotspot" option. Anything other than that wouldny work. Just my observation. And from my understanding, if you upgrade to os6,as long as you bar wifi set as on and data services via the carrier off, the browser will automatically detect your connection and allow you to browse the web with wifi and without a data plan.

11-05-10 09:09 PM
    I'd be careful. Some providers will automatically add the data plan when they detect a BB.
    11-05-10 09:21 PM
    From my observation, this is not true. I bought my 9700 fromtmobile without a data plan and initially used wifi at work and at home to connect to the internet and surf the web. Only the web browser worked under the "hotspot" option. Anything other than that wouldny work. Just my observation. And from my understanding, if you upgrade to os6,as long as you bar wifi set as on and data services via the carrier off, the browser will automatically detect your connection and allow you to browse the web with wifi and without a data plan.
    The Hotspot browser still runs through the BIS servers. It just routes everything over the WiFi Hotspot instead of the 3G/Edge data. So, if you don't have a BIS account, they won't let you surf.

I've heard mixed reports on OS6 WiFi browsing by-passing the BIS servers and going direct TCP/IP. But, I've not had any confirmation if it does or not.
    And, since the only OS6 is a LEAK, and offers nothing for me I'm interested in, I won't be upgrading to it to find out.
    11-05-10 11:21 PM
    I live in Belgium, and as far as I know they don't charge for dataplan.. I have a look for the cheapest dataplans.
    As far as I see, when I'm surfing, sometimes the WIFI icon appears, but sometimes there is only the symbol of my operator-connection..
    11-06-10 04:29 AM

My bold 9700 is on contract with Vodafone UK. Now, maybe it's different in the UK, but I got my old 8320 out of it's box yesterday and put an old Orange pay as you go SIM card in it. Yes, I had no BIS services obviously but I could quite happily get on to the BBC web site over wifi and any other site for that matter.

Also, when I received my new 9700 from Voda, during the time I waited for the phone to be activated, I could surf away fine on wifi.

So I am certain my earlier post was correct.
    11-08-10 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD