I have been using Google Maps on my BB Pearl for a while now. To find your location it uses local cell towers. For some reason I didn't think the Pearl had GPS capabilities which I found out was wrong today. I enabled GPS but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to work automatically with Google Maps. If not, is the only GPS enabled program BB maps that comes with the phone?
    06-08-09 05:06 PM
    google maps should work just fine.. just make sure you hit the BB options button when google maps is open and select Use GPS.

also make sure you have the latest version if you want to use streetview and latitude.
    06-08-09 05:32 PM
    When I press the BB button my options are: Search, My Locations, Directions, Satellite View, Clear Map, Show Traffic, Favorites, Zoom, Help, Exit.

I'm installing the latest now, I'll post back.

Edit: Replacing version 2.2.2 with 3.0.2
    Last edited by mystic54; 06-08-09 at 05:41 PM.
    06-08-09 05:38 PM
    hmmm. ya I didn't have a chance to double check mine but I'll see what you say lol
    06-08-09 05:46 PM
    hmmm. ya I didn't have a chance to double check mine but I'll see what you say lol
    Umm yea it's a no go. It tries to load using cell towers first while saying "waiting for gps". I give it a minute but usually the dot moves a mile or so from where the cell towers say I am (which is already wrong).

For example, I am in my hometown right now but if I use the finder (hold 0) it says I am 8 miles to the north with the cell towers and if I wait it moves the dot 2-3 miles south but even that is still incredibly far.

How can I be sure it is using GPS?
    06-08-09 08:44 PM
    Hmm well I don't have the 8130 but go into your BB settings and go into advanced settings and check what it says under the GPS settings. I know about the GPS settings because even my non GPS 8120 has that settings menu in case I happen to have a bluetooth gps adapter.

Mine gets about 50-100 yards away with the cell towers. I know it's all triangulation but it's accurate wherever I go in town.. so maybe I'm just in a big triangle? lol
    06-08-09 08:55 PM
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS, GPS Services: Location ON
    06-08-09 09:09 PM
    Any idea? Maybe I should post in the official BB forums as well.
    06-08-09 11:27 PM
    No idea..sorry! It'd help if someone else would chime in, but maybe no one is looking in here because there's already like 5 replies listed or something.

Definitely post in other areas too like you said.
    06-09-09 12:28 AM
    Hmm ya it only lists bluetooth gps as an option on my non gps 8120 within the google maps app..

What does your new updated version say? You only told me the selections for the previous version.
    06-09-09 12:30 AM
    Search Map, Get Directions, My Location

Join Latitude, Show Traffic, Satellite View

Clear map, Favorites, Zoom, Help, Exit
    06-09-09 10:32 AM
    hmm, did you download it from your phones browser by going to m.google.com? that way it automatically gives you the version for your device I believe. Don't know if that will make a difference because I'm sure you already did it that way..

Can someone else please lend a hand here lol?
    06-09-09 12:54 PM
    I found this post in the Alltel forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/all...ckdown-226001/

I'm trying to see right now if that is the culprit.
    06-09-09 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD