Hey guys, I'm new to CrackBerry, but I need some help. I used to own a 1st gen Storm for Verizon Wireless, but the thing has been nothing but trouble since the day I got it in February of '09. In fact, it finally crapped on me for good about 2 weeks ago. Now, with my upgrade coming next weekend, I want to make sure I'm buying the right phone. I would like to stay with BlackBerry rather then give Android a try despite my problems because I've seen phones such as the older Curves, Tour, and the new Bold and they seem to be extremely reliable. Also i just don't have the $200-300 after rebates to spend on a Droid (I'm a college student, lol). So I was wondering if I should stick with buying the new Curve for $30 after all rebates, or if I should splurge for a Bold or a Tour, which I know have a lot more to offer. Basically you guys (the Crackberry world) has the floor on whether it's the safe bet to get the inexpensive yet IMO very nice Curve or splurge for a Tour or a Bold?
    10-16-10 01:57 AM
    I would compare them in the store if you get the chance. The screen on the curve is really lacking compared to a the Bolds screen. Plus the Bold is just better built. There is a reason why curves are cheaply priced.

Not saying Curves are bad because they aren't bad at all for a entry level smartphone. But of you have the extra money you'll be happier in every way with the Bold 9650. I wouldn't even consider the Tour. It won't be getting OS 6. Gotta remember if your buying from vzw your going to be havng the phone for at least one year. It would be wise to spend a little more now so a year or two from today you still have a phone you'll be happy with.

Also if you order from vzw's website you can get the Bold with the instant rebate price and free overnight shipping. Which would make it $160 for the 2 year price or $230 for the one year price. That is what it told me they would cost me with tax. Also if you want the price of the upgrade can be put on your monthly bill.

Good luck with whatever device you go with!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 07:46 AM
    I wouldn't get the Curve or the Tour. The Curve has a lower resolution screen, camera, and feels cheezier. Tour has the same screen, keyboard, and the majority of the hardware Bold has except it still has a trackball, less ram, and no wifi. Not to mention the fact that Ttour has been more or less discontinued at this point in favor of the Bold.

I'm a former Tour user and it was ok, but if you're the outdoors type or are in areas with a fair bit of dust, etc, the ball will get gummed up fairly frequently. You can clean it, but it can get to be a hassle. The other downside to Tour is it will not support OS 6 and the better browser that contains.
    10-16-10 08:12 AM
    Keeping in mind that you are a college student you should get what you can afford. The Curve may be a lower resolution screen but if it fits in your budget and does what you want/need, I would go with it until you get out of school. Once you graduate and and can afford a more expensive phone by all means go for it!!
    10-16-10 08:44 AM
    The Curves are a popular choice among students because they're cheap and still decent devices. Really, spend within your means and don't make it a habit to splurge on things you don't need.

However, if you have the means too, it's always the same advice to get the higher end model.
    10-16-10 08:53 AM
    Thanks everyone for their input so far!!! It's basically between the Curve and the Bold I just realized the Tour is basically a Storm 1 with the old school trackball and a keyboard, yeah, not gonna happen. I'm definitely going to my local Verizon store when I go home from college on the 23rd and testing out both phones thoroughly before i buy. I need to buy in store because I'm still on a family plan under my mom and stepdad, and I'm taking the open upgrade which is under my stepdad's number (he just got a new phone in August) so I need my mom there to approve me upgrading now rather than in June (typical crappy Verizon Wireless customer service). Also, I would wait until the Holiday deals came out but my Storm has not let me do that. Maybe anyone out there knows if pre-holiday deals start next Saturday??
    10-16-10 12:12 PM
    I recommend playing with the phones at a verizon store but actually purchasing the phone at your nearest Best Buy Mobile. I work for the company and the major advantages of buying from there are the instant rebate (saves you a lot of time and money) and their Geek Squad Black Tie Protection insurance plan (only $9.99 for full coverage w/ no deductible. Also, ALL Blackberrys qualify for rapid excahnge. That means your broken phone gets replaced on the spot for a BRAND NEW unit

10-16-10 12:45 PM
    What is the 1 year price for a bold from best buy? Also how long does the protection plan last? And is it actually only one payment of $9.99?

I don't see how that would work. If its for a brand new phone with no deductible. Wouldn't it be very easy to screw them over if that's the case? I mean if someone was changing phones they could just smash the old one and then get a brand new one to sell on eBay instead of selling their old beat up phone. If you would please give me more information about this.

Last edited by Witmen; 10-16-10 at 12:58 PM.
    10-16-10 12:55 PM
    Thanks everyone for their input so far!!! It's basically between the Curve and the Bold I just realized the Tour is basically a Storm 1 with the old school trackball and a keyboard, yeah, not gonna happen. I'm definitely going to my local Verizon store when I go home from college on the 23rd and testing out both phones thoroughly before i buy. I need to buy in store because I'm still on a family plan under my mom and stepdad, and I'm taking the open upgrade which is under my stepdad's number (he just got a new phone in August) so I need my mom there to approve me upgrading now rather than in June (typical crappy Verizon Wireless customer service). Also, I would wait until the Holiday deals came out but my Storm has not let me do that. Maybe anyone out there knows if pre-holiday deals start next Saturday??
    Tour is a Storm 1? I'm confused. 9650 Bold is an upgraded Tour.

Why do you think Verizon's customer service is crappy, because of upgrade date timing or because they won't talk to you about an account your name isn't one of the primary names on the account?
    10-16-10 01:04 PM
    Wow that best buy black tie protection thing sounds like a scam. I googled it. You bring it to the store and they have to send it to the service station. Once there they have 30 days to repair and return your phone. You never walk in and walk out with a new device. Its clearly written in the terms that the phone will be sent in and if they can repair it they will. If not you'll be given a new phone. But either way your going weeks without a phone.

But just like you did the store rep tells everyone "any problems bring it in and get a new one" they fail to mention that you'll get a new one in around a month lol. Lots of rightfully un happy customers about it.

Do only BlackBerry devices get exchanged in the store? From what I can tell they all get sent it. I don't see any where that says its any different for a BlackBerry.

*edit* Never mind. I called best buy and talked to them about it. Even with the Rapid exchange that BlackBerry devices qualify for your phone still gets sent in. If you want a loaner phone they will give you a dumb phone if you put down a $150 deposit. But either way you can never walk in with a bad phone and walk out with a new one.

Basically you lied, or you yourself don't know what the insurance is.

Last edited by Witmen; 10-16-10 at 02:51 PM.
    10-16-10 02:08 PM
    Tour is a Storm 1? I'm confused. 9650 Bold is an upgraded Tour.

Why do you think Verizon's customer service is crappy, because of upgrade date timing or because they won't talk to you about an account your name isn't one of the primary names on the account?

IMO, if I'm clearly over the age of 18, and my school is 2 1/2 hours from home I think that the Verizon stores can cut me some slack. I was trying to activate my friend's old phone until I can get my new BB and the clerk at the VZW kiosk at the local mall was extremely rude and yelling at me when i was trying to say something. And every time I try to go to a store for support, I leave with no answers to my questions at almost every VZW store or kiosk i go to besides the one near my home.
    10-16-10 03:02 PM
    IMO, if I'm clearly over the age of 18, and my school is 2 1/2 hours from home I think that the Verizon stores can cut me some slack. I was trying to activate my friend's old phone until I can get my new BB and the clerk at the VZW kiosk at the local mall was extremely rude and yelling at me when i was trying to say something. And every time I try to go to a store for support, I leave with no answers to my questions at almost every VZW store or kiosk i go to besides the one near my home.
    Why should they stick their neck out for you? You can have your folks call vzw or stop in and get you et up with permission to mess with the account if they want, as I recall, and then you'll get the same treatment as those listed on the account.
    10-16-10 04:37 PM
    Wow that best buy black tie protection thing sounds like a scam. I googled it. You bring it to the store and they have to send it to the service station. Once there they have 30 days to repair and return your phone. You never walk in and walk out with a new device. Its clearly written in the terms that the phone will be sent in and if they can repair it they will. If not you'll be given a new phone. But either way your going weeks without a phone.

But just like you did the store rep tells everyone "any problems bring it in and get a new one" they fail to mention that you'll get a new one in around a month lol. Lots of rightfully un happy customers about it.

Do only BlackBerry devices get exchanged in the store? From what I can tell they all get sent it. I don't see any where that says its any different for a BlackBerry.

*edit* Never mind. I called best buy and talked to them about it. Even with the Rapid exchange that BlackBerry devices qualify for your phone still gets sent in. If you want a loaner phone they will give you a dumb phone if you put down a $150 deposit. But either way you can never walk in with a bad phone and walk out with a new one.

Basically you lied, or you yourself don't know what the insurance is.

I did not lie. The best buy black tie is no scam. I failed to mention it was $9.99 per month. And we don't send the phone to get serviced, we exchange the phone on the spot. And one cannot get a new phone and keep the old phone, best buy HAS to exchange them and keep the old phone. Go into a Best Buy and ask about the rapid exchange for blackberry. I am a mobile manager. I'm pretty sure if I've been doing it wrong I wouldve been fired a loooooong time ago.

So get your facts in line before you call tell someone that they lied and make yourself look like a dumbass

10-16-10 08:36 PM
    Its in the terms. You work for the place read your terms. I got my facts in line because I not only read the terms, I called my local best buy and even googled it. Your wrong. You have to have your phone sent in for repairs after the first 30 days.

Seriously what's wrong with you?

10-16-10 08:42 PM
    Jesus Christ. I just can't stand stubborn people like you. There is a general terms for ALL phones. But BLACKBERRYS are the ONLY phone that qualify for RAPID EXCHANGE. If you have the black tie protection and a blackberry, come into the store if somethings wrong with ur berry. You get a brand new unit of equal price.
    But oh wait, you googled it so you must be right! And trust me, I've known more than enough part-timers from other stores that give out the WRONG information. Not at my store though

I'm a mobile manager and I'm wrong?? Hahahaha !!! I don't think so, chief.

10-16-10 08:50 PM
    Jesus Christ. I just can't stand stubborn people like you. There is a general terms for ALL phones. But BLACKBERRYS are the ONLY phone that qualify for RAPID EXCHANGE. If you have the black tie protection and a blackberry, come into the store if somethings wrong with ur berry. You get a brand new unit of equal price.
    But oh wait, you googled it so you must be right! And trust me, I've known more than enough part-timers from other stores that give out the WRONG information. Not at my store though

I'm a mobile manager and I'm wrong?? Hahahaha !!! I don't think so, chief.

So your telling me that Rapid Exchange doesn't require the phone to be sent into a repair center?

From the words of the best buy customer representative I spoke to. "Rapid Exchange is the priority service, Your phone will be shipped and serviced with high priority so the turn around time should be in under 2 weeks."

The same women told me " You can only get an in store replacement of your phone if it is within the first 30 days of your purchase, Including BlackBerry phones"

If your correct then cool, I don't work for best buy I'm just going by what I've been told on the phone. I do know one thing if that is the way it works then you should come to my best buy and teach them how things should be done. lol
    Last edited by Witmen; 10-16-10 at 09:08 PM.
    10-16-10 08:59 PM
    Look, I don't mean to sound like doucher haha but I just hate when people tell me about my business. Maybe I shoulf go down to your best buy and set them straight lol

10-16-10 09:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD