So this blackberry 8320 is about as useful as a cup coaster on my coffee table now. Everything was fine til last night. As always I do the quick pull app before I go to bed so it's fresh in the morning. The difference is this time I did it, it never turned back on. So I did a real bat pull. Still nothing. The red led light comes on, but the screen is blank. I left it on the charger all night. I hooked it up to my desktop manager this morning, backed everything up. I downloaded the jl_cmder. I did a reset to factory settings, still nothing. I then downloaded the latest os version for the 8320 on here, so I can do a full wipe. I selected wipe on the cmder program, and I'm not sure how you know if its done, and what to do after you do that? Now I have my phone connected to my usb port, but the desktop manager doesn't detect it, and the screen is still blank. What the **** is going on here?
    07-22-09 07:15 AM
    Mine bricked on its own the 2nd day I had it. It rebooted, came back up to a white screen with the number 507 (nothing else) on it. Sent it to our blackberry team at work and even with all their tools, new OS and the java commander, they could not get it back up.

Unfortunately, what the tech said when we finally called it in, was that it went to a pre-install state, as if the ROM wiped itself. It ended up having to be replaced.

It doesn't sound like yours bricked like mine, but bricked nonetheless. What does AT&T say? I dont put much faith in them - took them 7 days to get me a new phone after they lost the order twice. Personally, I hate AT&T with a passion, but my company has their phones through them...
    07-22-09 07:36 AM
    Sounds like AT&T is great, I am done with them when my contract is up. I haven't contacted them cause it happened late last night, I cant make or recieve calls, and I am at work now. So I will go there after work. I don't have any faith in them either. I like verizon but they seem just as pricey. Sprint doesnt seem bad, with the 99/unlimited everything plan. Who knows. I tried everything, it just died out of nowhere. For these phones being smart phones, they are real **** it seams. Im almost better off going back to my flip phone with less headaches.
    07-22-09 07:44 AM
    but the desktop manager doesn't detect it, and the screen is still blank,...
    The fact that LED is still working is encouraging, that means there is still life in there.

Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager, open Options / Connections Options. This will display a small window with connections status, like at None.

Remove and replace the battery. Observe the Connections Options window. You are looking for the stage where it Detects the UMA port. It will only last a second or so.

Repeat the battery pull, but be ready to click on OK the moment it appears. If that is successful, you can continue with a rebuild.

Good luck.
    07-22-09 09:20 AM
    I did that, it recognizes USB-PIN, when i do the bat pull and put back it, it just changes from that to just "USB". I selected that, and nothing happens. I did just use the app loaded and wiped the old os out, and put the new one in with just basic apps, no add-ons. still nothing.
    07-22-09 09:48 AM
    I did that, it recognizes USB-PIN, when i do the bat pull and put back it, it just changes from that to just "USB". I selected that, and nothing happens. I did just use the app loaded and wiped the old os out, and put the new one in with just basic apps, no add-ons. still nothing.
    That is encouraging, the first step is to get the core applications loaded.

Do I understand, Applications Loader is processing the install, finished with a Successful message, but the device does not start up?

Is there any on screen activity? The probem my be in the physical connection to the screen. Fortuantly, that is a hardware issue and justifies a replacement.
    07-22-09 09:54 AM
    Yes there was a successful message. But no screen activity at all. No start up. I agree it's a physical connection issue. Only problem is this was an ebay special I got 3 months ago, so the warranty isn't good, unless I contact them. Other wise I have to go through insurance with att.
    07-22-09 09:57 AM
    The warranty is not transferable, but I suspect we are closing on the actual problem.

The software did load and has started correctly, but you can't see anything.

If you are handy with small tools, you can dismantle the Curve and verify the LCD to Logic board connection. With a bit of luck, it will be slightly loose.

If not, the fault could be in the LCD display, that is a reasonably priced item to replace.

Google BlackBerry Repair for a selection of parts and repair services.
    07-22-09 10:01 AM
    How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected
    Problem: When trying to re-install an operating system that constantly intializes, Desktop Manager will not recognize the device.

Solution: The following walkthough!

Thank you to Pentace for this excellent walkthough:

FYI this will work for any handheld that constantly initializes.. aka the hourglass of doom.

1. Install the desktop software.
    2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
    3. Pull the battery out of your device.
    4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
    5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
    6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
    7. Select the application loader icon.
    8. Select all software you want installed.
    9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.
    10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
    11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
    12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
    13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.

THIS MAY FAIL THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME DONT WORRY JUST KEEP TRYING.

If you do not get it by the 3rd time.. download the Blackberry java developers kit and install it. once installed find the javaloader.exe file and move it into the c:\ directory

Once it is under the c:\, go to start then run and type. cmd.exe

After the command prompt apears type in "c:\javaloader -usb wipe" to wipe the handheld

*The reason I have highlighted Step 13 is that this is very important to do BEFORE the DM tries to re-start your device because it WILL NOT re-intialize your device IF THE BATTERY IS NOT IN YOUR DEVICE.
    07-22-09 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD