I am new to this forum, thanks for taking the time.

My question is, I am looking for a smartphone to just basically:
    Make calls
    Access the internet (unlimited data)
    Google maps etc.
    Access web based email (cheaper?)(no corporate email/use)

My first instinct was the iPhone but too many drawbacks (non replaceable battery, price etc).

I am with AT&T and the Blackberry caught my eye.

They have a BlackBerry Curve 8310 - Red for $199.99
    Would this be a good phone for my purposes stated above (if not what would be better)?

Also, I don't understand the data plans.
    I know I need a voice plan (which I already have) but for my purposes which of these plans, if any would suit my needs as stated above.

BlackBerry Personal Max for $39.99

BlackBerry� Internet Service Plan for $29.99

many thanks
    Paul
    11-29-07 09:12 AM
    I am sure the curve will fulfill this need......I have a curve and i love it....google maps you can download it to your phone....but that curve already has gps and a system call telenav which really works I use it.....and you can setup up to 10 email accounts plus a blkbry email......now the blkbry personal max gives you 1500 text w/ unlimited data I picked the 49.99 which is unlimeted everything.........so I think it will be a great phone
    11-29-07 09:25 AM
    Curve would be good, but you can also consider the Pearl if you want something that is more sexy. I don't care for the Suretype keyboard, but many people seem to swear by it and the phone won't take up as much space as a Curve.
    11-29-07 09:29 AM
    thanks for the reply

"...but that curve already has gps and a system call telenav..."

does that cost extra or does it depend on the plan I have?

Also, I don't text, so what about the "BlackBerry Internet Service Plan for $29.99" what does this give me?

thanks
    11-29-07 09:31 AM
    Yes, the 8310 Curve w/ GPS fits the bill exactly.
    Make calls - it does this well. great integration with Contacts and other BlackBerry apps

Access the internet (unlimited data) - EDGE really isn't that bad, but I haven't been spoiled by EV-DO or anything else. It works for me.

Google maps etc. - Fantastic, especially with GPS.

Access web based email (cheaper?)(no corporate email/use) - This is what the BlackBerry was born and bred for: push e-mail. You configure your webmail account on the BIS site for your provider, and within 20 minutes, your e-mail comes to you! you don't even have to check it anymore.

BB Personal Max is unlimited data + 1500 SMS/MMS messages/month This is what I have. I use BB Messenger to send PIN messages to my wife (she also has a Curve) and I use the 1500 messages to message my son and all my other non-BlackBerried peoples.

BB Personal Internet is just unlimited data. SMS and MMS messages are charged extra (10 cents/25 cents each, or something close to that)
    11-29-07 09:46 AM
    thanks rrrebo,

So for someone like me who doesn't text at all (rarely) the BB Personal Internet would suit me fine, allowing unlimited web browsing?

Does the GPS use cost extra?

And how is the web browsing experience?
    I know it wouldn't compare to the iPhone but it is acceptable?

thanks
    11-29-07 09:57 AM
    I just got the red one a month ago and love it! The Telenav system costs, but there are a few free GPS directional software programs. I'm also on AT&T and use the $29.95/month unlimited data program since I only send about 4 text msgs a month. Even at 15 cents each, it'd take a lot of texting to make up that $10 difference.
    11-29-07 09:59 AM
    thanks rolo99,

"...I'm also on AT&T and use the $29.95/month unlimited data program since I only send about 4 text msgs a month. Even at 15 cents each, it'd take a lot of texting to make up that $10 difference...."

Just what I needed to know

Are you able to download/install 3rd party software and if so is there a lot of 3rd party apps (sorry I'm used to Apple...)?

How is the net browsing experience?

thanks
    11-29-07 10:10 AM
    Browsing the web is not not stellar on the BlackBerry. It is sufficient for most needs, but it not the device's strong suit. Opera Mini does help make the most of it, though. Excellent browser.

Multimedia support on the BlackBerry is new and still somewhat weak. No streaming, no Flash, no YouTube (without using 3rd-party sites). You can convert videos in several formats and then store and watch them on your BB quite well, though. OS 4.3 is supposed to improve media support a bit.

Yes, there's a host of 3rd-party apps, with more coming every day.

If your main concern is NOT messaging and e-mail, I'd recommend going with some other type of device like the iPhone, N95, or even the 6555. Otherwise, the expense of a BlackBerry, voice, and BB data plan is simply not worth it on AT&T.
    11-29-07 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD