Hi everyone I'm 14 years old like my title says, and my dad is buying me a new phone on Monday and he said i can choose whatever i want... and i was thinking maybe a blackberry would be nice...

can you help me choose the best one? these are the things i need in a phone-

- nice big clear screen
    - video conferencing or calling, skype or whatever works
    - i have a big itunes library, so needs to sync well
    - facebook and twitter
    - very fast phone
    - battery should be reliable, i can live with a day's worth of charge
    - email. i send and receive large attachments though from my girlfriend, mostly large photos and stuff
    - lots of fun apps

thanks in advance and thanks a bunch to crackberry! :-)
    01-27-12 10:05 PM
    What's your definition of a large screen?

itunes sounds like an iphone only?

For skype or tango/video conferencing you'll want a phone with a front facing camera which would put you at an iphone, windows phone, or iPhone.
    01-27-12 10:10 PM
    I like Blackberries but if you want a big screen that isn't the way to go. Android phones have really big screens. The Nexus is the newest (I think).
    01-27-12 10:11 PM
    I would say go for the the new Torch, only thing their is no video calling yet, that is only on the playbook right now, until the new blackberries come out later in the year...
    01-27-12 10:11 PM
    Any black slab with a touch screen will do, that can also sync with your iTunes library will do.
    01-27-12 10:13 PM
    wow thanks that was faaaast! if i get the torch how exactly do i get my itunes stuff in it?
    01-27-12 10:20 PM
    wow thanks that was faaaast! if i get the torch how exactly do i get my itunes stuff in it?
    Use Desktop Manager.
    01-27-12 10:33 PM
    oh okay that's free software from blackberry right?

how much is a torch nowadays? if we buy it from a store and not a cellphone carrier?
    01-27-12 10:37 PM
    Hi everyone I'm 14 years old like my title says, and my dad is buying me a new phone on Monday and he said i can choose whatever i want... and i was thinking maybe a blackberry would be nice...

can you help me choose the best one? these are the things i need in a phone-

- nice big clear screen
    - video conferencing or calling, skype or whatever works
    - i have a big itunes library, so needs to sync well
    - facebook and twitter
    - very fast phone
    - battery should be reliable, i can live with a day's worth of charge
    - email. i send and receive large attachments though from my girlfriend, mostly large photos and stuff
    - lots of fun apps

thanks in advance and thanks a bunch to crackberry! :-)
    I thought I would reply, as I seem to be the only one (so far) in this thread to have put the 9860 through extensive testing.

The screen is amazing (obviously, you cannot compare it to something like the LG Nitro HD or Galaxy Nexus, but you will not notice a difference unless you want to watch nothing but films all day long on your phone).

No video conferencing. Sorry. I have used many Android phones, such as those mentioned above. Also others.
    What I can say is that video conferencing is quite flawed. I like how they represent it in commercials, but even on the LTE network you get blurred, stop-motion images.

Facebook and Twitter present. That is all to it.

The phone is fast (on OS 7.1.0.205, at least). There are skills that need to be picked up, such as shrinking operating systems, to get the most out of your phone, but that is not difficult to learn or do.

Battery on BlackBerry phones is by far superior to any offered by iPhone or Android. Not only superior in quality, but also much better life due to the fact that BB does not hog up as much with background processes present on the two aforementioned competing platforms.

E-mail on the BlackBerrys is the best. No contest. Viewing it on a large screen is delicious.

Lots of fun apps: definitely not. BlackBerry phones have always been business (or at least productivity phones) targeted towards consumers. It is not easy to waste hours and hours on a BlackBerry. In fact, I have found it night on impossible. But that is part of the appeal: it is a phone that will let you handle all communication effectively and efficiently. People get BlackBerrys for e-mail, BBM, calendar (my favourite). It is far to secure of a platform to ever be a major target for app developers.

Yes, I said it. No whacking Obama on a BlackBerry.

Can you not just port the files as mp3s?
    Last edited by Apothegm; 01-27-12 at 10:44 PM.
    01-27-12 10:41 PM
    The Torch 9850/9860. 3.7 inch screen is the largest BB screen. It is also very fast. You can put all your music, photos on a micro sim card. Get a micro sim with an adaptor and you can simple insert it into a computer and drag and drop whatever you like.

Here's another thought for you since you want to join BB. You could go with a Curve and the Playbook which would cost you the same as the phone. The phone has a smaller screen but Bridging it with the Playbook would give you alot more usefulness. Playbook 16GB is on sale for $199 again. The Torch would cost you $200 on contract but the Curve would be $0. I don't know what provider you are using so I don't which Curve you need. 93XX.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-27-12 10:41 PM
    And of course BBM is the best messaging system out there, with moving avatars, colour schemes, being able to post funny profile pics...........
    01-27-12 10:46 PM
    Yes you can use mp3.

The difference in price for a Torch or a Curve is about $200. Torch is around $550.
    01-27-12 10:46 PM
    Yeah, the Torch 9850/9860 seems to be a good fit for you. It has a big screen, and is very fast. You can also put all of your music, pics, and vids on a MicroSD card. If you want a physical keyboard go for the Bold 9900/9930 though. If you don't care about a keyboard and would rather have the larger screen, go for the Torch.
    01-27-12 10:48 PM
    you guys are so amaaaaazing.....

our family is with verizon, if that helps. we are going to the store on monday but was hoping i would know what i want so my dad wont have to wait so long

i'm not sure if my dad can afford a tablet, he just told me he'll buy me a cell phone...

i just want to be able to plug my phone to my computer and all my songs will be on the phone already, is that possible?

also i heard that the blackbery has the best e-mail right and i'll be able to receive those pictures from my girlfriend? the photos we send each other are usually family and school stuff, and we send a ton of them. i just checked my email and sometimes one email can be more than 700MB because of the ton of photos...

thanks for all the help you are all amazing!!
    01-27-12 10:52 PM
    what phone does your girlfriend use? if she has a droid or an iphone you may want a compatable device. If she has a bb than that works too, except no video chat.
    01-27-12 10:54 PM
    wow so the 9850 seems to be the best blackberry am i right? no i dont want a keyboard i want a phone that has a large screen plus i type really fast on my mom's iphone4s so doesnt matter

about bbm none of my friends have that so it's not very important, but my girlfriends and i like going on skype and i can do that on my computer, but seems its not available on the 9850 is that right?

oh and does the 9850 come in white? we can get one from verizon or from a store...my dad didn't say anything about where we will buy so im guessing either
    01-27-12 10:54 PM
    700 MB email eh? what phone have you been using currently?
    01-27-12 10:55 PM
    i don't have a cellphone now howarmat. i've been doing it all on a computer..
    01-27-12 10:56 PM
    Blackberry has instant e mail. very very fast... And dont let those store reps try and sell you another phone cause they probably will...
    01-27-12 10:57 PM
    what phone does your girlfriend use? if she has a droid or an iphone you may want a compatable device. If she has a bb than that works too, except no video chat.
    she has an iphone3gs
    01-27-12 10:59 PM
    Here is something to add, Blackberrys can make more out of a small data plan. Because of Bis, they use compressed data which will make your plan go a lot further. And I am sure your Dad will be happy when you don't go over your limit. Good luck with your choice whatever it may be, and give our best to your Dad for knowing what makes a girl happy! good job Dad!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 01-27-12 at 11:02 PM.
    01-27-12 11:00 PM
    she has an iphone3gs

Oh god...First get her a blackberry
    01-27-12 11:02 PM
    Here is something to add, Blackberrys can make more out of a small data plan. Because of Bis, they use compressed data which will make your plan go a lot further. And I am sure your Dad will be happy when you don't go over your limit. Another factor to consider if you go for the Torch is the added bonus of a physical keyboard. BB's are serious texting machines. Good luck with your choice whatever it may be, and give our best to your Dad for knowing what makes a girl happy! good job Dad!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    We're talking about the full screen Torch 9850 not the 9830 with the slider.
    01-27-12 11:04 PM
    okay everyone so i'm looking at the verizon wepage right now and didnt know they had all these phones for my city

the 9850 is 459 dollars if we just buy it or 179 if its 2 years with contract. what if i decide not to keep it? i think we wanna be safe..

albee1 hee ill tell my dad .. also i think he's just going to give me a pay as you go plan or something, and ill just use the email and other internet stuff on wifi, and i see that the 9850 has wifi already which is so awesome!

so i guess the 9850 seems like it is the phone i should get, i just need to talk to my girlfriend and tell her we're gonna have to skype on a computer..
    01-27-12 11:08 PM
    Blackberry has instant e mail. very very fast... And dont let those store reps try and sell you another phone cause they probably will...
    dont worry it's gonna be me and my dad if we end up in the verizon store but why do you think they'll try to sell us something else?

it'll be a long drive for us on monday if we go to verizon since they don't have any stores here in provo ut so we just wanna make it quick and fast.
    01-27-12 11:10 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD