I believe that you now have to pay for Cloud Storage on the newer Pixel phones.
    I think everybody in 2021 has at least one paid cloud solution. And if they don't they should. I have subscriptions with both Google and Microsoft. In turn, I have those solutions synced to both my home AND office Nas servers.
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-21 at 10:26 AM.
    02-03-21 10:15 AM
    I think everybody in 2021 has at least one paid cloud solution. And if they don't they should. I have subscriptions with both Google and Microsoft. In turn, I have those solutions synced to both my home AND office Nas servers.
    And even the free option they allowed for photo syncing wasn't full quality, everything got limited to "HD" - so wasn't a true backup solution.
    02-03-21 11:04 AM
    It's funny, I used to think that was a big deal too. But between 128gb internal, and cloud sync, It just isn't an issue anymore.

And man is Google vanilla Android so much better than OneUI. So much cleaner and faster.
    The preference of "vanilla" Android is subjective and one most of the world whole heartedly disagrees with, sales wise, and since we use that data for so many discussions here Samsung is clearly "better" and what users prefer. Their wallets have spoken.

In addition when using a Samsung Android and One UI it is usually taking advantages of features not yet on other Android phones and usually emulated for the next version of Android. (You can find this in just about any reading)

Both phones are very capable and offer high performance.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 11:16 AM
    And irrespective of choice, if you prefer physical keys and keyboard, you will miss using your KeyOne.

I have an A71 5G- great slab and very capable, fast, long lasting etc., etc. Just honestly kind of boring to use compared to my Black Edition KeyOne. (And none of improved RAM 6 v 4, faster SOC or 5G even matter that much to me)

So easy to stick my thumb on space bar and hit any Key shortcut to make a call or get to most things I utilize. Very underrated capabilities for how I like to use a smartphone. Call quality is great, single lens camera is great in all but the lowest light conditions I rarely shoot in, battery life is 2 days, keyboard is great for calling without having to touch the screen and I even like the LCD screen. Just my .02 and continued happiness with using my BE.
    Neely2005 and the_boon like this.
    02-03-21 11:39 AM
    And even the free option they allowed for photo syncing wasn't full quality, everything got limited to "HD" - so wasn't a true backup solution.
    Google continues to offer free compressed storage. But they used to offer free uncompressed storage until a year or so back.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 11:42 AM
    The preference of "vanilla" Android is subjective and one most of the world whole heartedly disagrees with, sales wise, and since we use that data for so many discussions here Samsung is clearly "better" and what users prefer. Their wallets have spoken.

In addition when using a Samsung Android and One UI it is usually taking advantages of features not yet on other Android phones and usually emulated for the next version of Android. (You can find this in just about any reading)

Both phones are very capable and offer high performance.
    Well, it's hard to conclude that UX is the specific reason Samsung is the most popular Android device.

Every single Pixel review always contains something like:

"The Google Pixel 5 ships with Android 11, running Pixel UI on top. This is widely considered one of the best skins on Android due to its tight integration with things like the Google Assistant. Google also, you know, makes Android, so you’d hope its take on the operating system would be good." - Android Authority

"After a decade of Nexus and Pixels, it may seem trite to say it, but you really don't understand just how enjoyable it is to use Android on a Pixel until you actually use one." - Android Central

"Google’s got other things working in its favor, as well — pure Android and the promise of guaranteed updates." - Techcrunch

"It's also worth noting that the Pixel user interface is the best it's ever been. It's easy to use and doesn’t overcomplicate anything, an issue I often have with other smartphones." - MobileSyrop
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-21 at 12:22 PM.
    02-03-21 12:03 PM
    And irrespective of choice, if you prefer physical keys and keyboard, you will miss using your KeyOne.

I have an A71 5G- great slab and very capable, fast, long lasting etc., etc. Just honestly kind of boring to use compared to my Black Edition KeyOne. (And none of improved RAM 6 v 4, faster SOC or 5G even matter that much to me)

So easy to stick my thumb on space bar and hit any Key shortcut to make a call or get to most things I utilize. Very underrated capabilities for how I like to use a smartphone. Call quality is great, single lens camera is great in all but the lowest light conditions I rarely shoot in, battery life is 2 days, keyboard is great for calling without having to touch the screen and I even like the LCD screen. Just my .02 and continued happiness with using my BE.
    I agree on the Physical Keyboard unfortunately at this point I don't have much choice as I don't see the point in paying for a new, old phone that is no longer supported for OS Updates.

I would have gone for the new Onward Mobility BlackBerry if there was actually a Release Date and Spec Sheet available. At this point I just don't believe their phone will be available in the first half of 2021 like they originally stated.

I've owned a Blackberry Z10 and Z30 in the past so hopefully it will be easy transition back to no Physical Keyboard.
    Last edited by Neely2005; 02-03-21 at 12:36 PM.
    02-03-21 12:15 PM
    I agree on the Physical Keyboard unfortunately at this point I don't have much choice as I don't see the point in paying for a new, old phone that is no longer supported for OS Updates.

I would have gone for the new Onward Mobility BlackBerry if there was actually a Release Date and Spec Sheet available. At this point I just don't believe their phone will be available in the first half of 2021 like they originally stated.

I've owned a Blackberry Z10 and Z20 in the past so hopefully it will be easy transition back to no Physical Keyboard.
    Like most people, you will probably do fine on a virtual keyboard.

However, "fine" and "enjoyable" are completely different experiences.

Your typing speed may increase, but accuracy will decrease. It's just a fact of tapping on a flat piece of glass as opposed to pushing real, sculpted buttons.

If you're okay keeping two phones around, then why not get the slab that appeals best to you and keep your KEYone as a secondary/backup/e-mailing device, on which you would do most of your typing.

Or you can even upgrade to a KEY2 or LE for that, and then sell it when Onward's new device hopefully becomes available.
    Resale value is still pretty high for a 2.5 year old midrange phone.
    02-03-21 12:35 PM
    Like most people, you will probably do fine on a virtual keyboard.

However, "fine" and "enjoyable" are completely different experiences.

Your typing speed may increase, but accuracy will decrease. It's just a fact of tapping on a flat piece of glass as opposed to pushing real, sculpted buttons.

If you're okay keeping two phones around, then why not get the slab that appeals best to you and keep your KEYone as a secondary/backup/e-mailing device, on which you would do most of your typing.

Or you can even upgrade to a KEY2 or LE for that, and then sell it when Onward's new device hopefully becomes available.
    Resale value is still pretty high for a 2.5 year old midrange phone.
    I'm not interested in carrying 2 phones and my Key1 is almost 4 years old and needs to be replaced.
    02-03-21 12:53 PM

I've owned a Blackberry Z10 and Z30 in the past so hopefully it will be easy transition back to no Physical Keyboard.
    Oh you will be fine on a slab again but maybe after some usage again will better understand what I am trying to get across. And it's all personal preferences so just my .02. Slabs are just slabs and they all are really one and the same less minor differences. Pixel 4a would be great and very economical as well.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 12:53 PM
    I'm not interested in carrying 2 phones and my Key1 is almost 4 years old and needs to be replaced.
    I dual own KEY2 and Note 10+, not necessarily carrying both of them with me all the time, but each serves its purpose.

I'm not gonna watch a movie on the KEY2, and I'm not gonna type a long e-mail on the Note.

Though, using the S-Pen for text input can be quite relaxing, which we can't say for typing on glass with thumbs.
    eshropshire likes this.
    02-03-21 01:00 PM
    Well, it's hard to conclude that UX is the specific reason Samsung is the most popular Android device.

Every single Pixel review always contains something like:

"The Google Pixel 5 ships with Android 11, running Pixel UI on top. This is widely considered one of the best skins on Android due to its tight integration with things like the Google Assistant. Google also, you know, makes Android, so you’d hope its take on the operating system would be good." - Android Authority

"After a decade of Nexus and Pixels, it may seem trite to say it, but you really don't understand just how enjoyable it is to use Android on a Pixel until you actually use one." - Android Central

"Google’s got other things working in its favor, as well — pure Android and the promise of guaranteed updates." - Techcrunch

"It's also worth noting that the Pixel user interface is the best it's ever been. It's easy to use and doesn’t overcomplicate anything, an issue I often have with other smartphones." - MobileSyrop
    Sells equal what people want according to many here within these forums. Pixel sells are dismal each and every year and have found no real way to differentiate amongst the slabs available. So much so they really no longer have a flagship (not that this matters).

People prefer and buy Android Samsung phones with One UI features not Pixel or vanilla. Just the hard truth.
    02-03-21 01:23 PM
    Sells equal what people want according to many here within these forums. Pixel sells are dismal each and every year and have found no real way to differentiate amongst the slabs available. So much so they really no longer have a flagship (not that this matters).

People prefer and buy Android Samsung phones with One UI features not Pixel or vanilla. Just the hard truth.
    Those decisions are not being made based on the UX. If Samsung dropped OneUI, they wouldn't lose a single sale. In fact, they'd likely pick up more.

Google is not in the market to sell a lot of devices. They have phones in order to set the standard for the optimal Android experience.
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-21 at 02:08 PM.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 01:46 PM
    Looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G 128 GB.

Thoughts on this phone?

Best Buy Canada has it on sale for $764.99 CAD.

Samsung says that it will support OS updates to Android 13.
    I think that I've narrowed it down to these 2:

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G ($765 CAD)

Google Pixel 5 ($799 CAD)

Leaning towards the Google Pixel 5 due to the smaller size.

Thoughts?
    02-03-21 02:29 PM

Thoughts?
    Size if personal. Go hold both in hand and see which feels better. Both are good all touch devices. I have the A71 5G with same chip as Pixel 5G. My dad has the S20 FE amongst a myriad of other devices. The SOC in S20 FE is a higher end and performing chip- but not noticeably different in day to day usage. Also depends on if you have experience with One UI on Samsung. Its been immensely popular and preferred for those that enjoy its features. Conite prefers a less skinned version or plain. I had a S9 and used my dad's old Pixel 3a. I personally prefer Samsung's take on Android. It's all personal and you can theme or change either all you want or not.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 02:39 PM

Thoughts?
    If you want a small (ish) sized device , I wouldn't recommend anything made by Samsung since the s10e.

If you don't want that device because its now two years old, then I'd say the pixel 5 is a good choice, especially considering how they were able to fit 4080mAh into a phone of that size. The S10e is just 2mm shorter, but has a significantly smaller battery at 3100mAh.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 02:41 PM

Thoughts?
    With the Samsung you have the bigger screen, better gaming performance, and an SD slot.

With the Pixel, you get an extra Android update, better battery life, better camera, more memory, and bloat-free pure/clean Android (if that's a thing for you).
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-21 at 03:21 PM.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 03:00 PM
    With the Samsung you have the bigger screen, better gaming performance, and an SD slot.

With the Pixel, you get an extra Android update, better battery life, better camera, more memory, and bloat-free pure/clean Android (if that's a thing for you).
    Interesting that you mention the Camera is better on the Pixel 5 since the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE has better Camera Specs.
    02-04-21 10:11 AM
    Interesting that you mention the Camera is better on the Pixel 5 since the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE has better Camera Specs.
    True, but Google has by far the best software. Pixel wins hands down.

Samsung apparently beats the Pixel 5 with the new S21 though.
    Last edited by conite; 02-04-21 at 10:26 AM.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-04-21 10:15 AM
    True, but Google has by far the best software. Pixel wins hands down.

Samsung apparently beats the Pixel 5 with the new S21 though.
    [IMG=270x585]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/6cf794a6dc5af329146d8b395e025794.jpg[/url]
    Imagine what Google could do with the Samsung hardware?
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-04-21 10:36 AM
    Imagine what Google could do with the Samsung hardware?
    Absolutely. S21 hardware with Pixel 5 software. Perfection.

Makes me think about the S4 Google Edition back in the day.
    02-04-21 10:40 AM
    Absolutely. S21 hardware with Pixel 5 software. Perfection.
    Hopefully that happens, so that they can innovate outside of camera.
    02-04-21 11:39 AM
    Just so folks can truly understand how much bloat Samsung puts in its OS, consider this (all figures are compressed files):

LineageOS 18.1 (itself a built-up version of AOSP 11) + the full suite of GApps = 1.6 GB.

The Pixel 5 factory image is 2.0 GB.

The Samsung S21 factory image is 6.6 GB.

Let that sink in.
    Last edited by conite; 02-05-21 at 03:44 PM.
    lzmx and Neely2005 like this.
    02-05-21 03:14 PM
    Just so folks can truly understand how much bloat Samsung puts in its OS, consider this (all figures are compressed files):

LineageOS 18.1 (itself a built-up version of AOSP 11) + the full suite of GApps = 1.6 GB.

The Pixel 5 factory image is 2.0 GB.

The Samsung S21 factory image is 7.1 GB.

Let that sink in.
    ...and this?

Over 15GB system on the KEY2Need Advice. Best Android Phone to Replace My KEYone?-screenshot_20210205-162036.jpg
    02-05-21 03:21 PM
    ...and this?

Over 15GB system on the KEY2
    No. Compressed, the KEY² OS is well under 2.0 GB.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-05-21 03:23 PM
142 1234 ...