I have an original Key1 (before they fixed the screen pop issue) and it's become really slow and the battery is pretty much done. (The battery only lasts a couple of hours.)

I was going to wait for the new 5G BlackBerry from Onward Mobility but it's February 2021 so there's no way that phone is going to be released in the first half of 2021.

Can you please recommend some good Android Phones to replace it? (I'm looking for something that is a similar size to the Key1)

Thanks
    02-01-21 08:15 PM
    Well, some specifics would help, not just size. How much space do you want, what are you looking to spend, carrier version or unlocked, so many things come into play. My son recently got a Motorola G Power 64 for under $200 new. (Unlocked for US carriers. ) he likes it a lot because it's pretty much vanilla Android, runs well, has outstanding battery life, wireless charging, fingerprint reader, great cameras, and gets the job done effectively at cost. A51 or A71 Samsungs are roughly as poelwerful as the Note 9 I'm still using, which runs beautifully, even never having be reset at all. I'm not familiar with Pixels or LGs enough to comment.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-01-21 08:32 PM
    I have an original Key1 (before they fixed the screen pop issue) and it's become really slow and the battery is pretty much done. (The battery only lasts a couple of hours.)

I was going to wait for the new 5G BlackBerry from Onward Mobility but it's February 2021 so there's no way that phone is going to be released in the first half of 2021.

Can you please recommend some good Android Phones to replace it? (I'm looking for something that is a similar size to the Key1)

Thanks
    On the Android side, based on how long you kept your device, I’d suggest Pixel 4a5G or Pixel 5 simply on what your budget and preference allows. As BlackBerry guy, I’m perfectly ok with mid-tier devices and specs. Currently I dual carry iPhone XR and Pixel 3a with zero plans to replace either one for at least another year.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-01-21 08:34 PM

Thanks
    Do you want a keyboard phone?

If yes: KEY2, KEY2 LE...or Unihertz Titan

If not: Samsung, Pixel, LG, etc
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-01-21 08:35 PM
    Well, some specifics would help, not just size. How much space do you want, what are you looking to spend, carrier version or unlocked, so many things come into play. My son recently got a Motorola G Power 64 for under $200 new. (Unlocked for US carriers. ) he likes it a lot because it's pretty much vanilla Android, runs well, has outstanding battery life, wireless charging, fingerprint reader, great cameras, and gets the job done effectively at cost. A51 or A71 Samsungs are roughly as poelwerful as the Note 9 I'm still using, which runs beautifully, even never having be reset at all. I'm not familiar with Pixels or LGs enough to comment.
    64 Gig Minimum.
    $750 CAD or less.
    Unlocked
    02-01-21 09:15 PM
    Do you want a keyboard phone?

If yes: KEY2, KEY2 LE...or Unihertz Titan

If not: Samsung, Pixel, LG, etc
    I would prefer a Physical Keyboard but I want a new phone that's going to be supported for OS Upgrades so that doesn't seem to be an option.

I heard that you have to pay for the Pixel Cloud Storage now so if true that's Not an option for me as I'm not interested in monthly fees.
    02-01-21 09:21 PM
    If privacy is your concern, go for samsung. Midline samsung would just do the job (A51, A71), or go for last year's flagship like S10, or S10e. They got price cut and will serve you just fine for years ahead. They're all at least got 128GB of internal out of the box so no need to worry about space. And you could buy type C thumbdrive or mmc for expendable storage.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-01-21 09:24 PM
    If privacy is your concern, go for samsung. Midline samsung would just do the job (A51, A71), or go for last year's flagship like S10, or S10e. They got price cut and will serve you just fine for years ahead. They're all at least got 128GB of internal out of the box so no need to worry about space. And you could buy type C thumbdrive or mmc for expendable storage.
    Yeah, the S10 series are still worth buying today even being two generations behind, they should keep getting security updates until early 2023 as Samsung is now doing 4 years for their flagship lines.

The S8 will soon stop receiving quarterly updates as it launched in early spring of 2017. Not bad.
    chain13 and Neely2005 like this.
    02-01-21 10:01 PM

Thanks
    I'd recommend you look at friends and family's phones... what do they like? Hold them and try them out.

If in the US, I'd recommend what your Carrier is offering so that you get full support. I'd suggest sticking with Samsung, as they seem to be in the drivers seat. But I'd go in thinking this is the phone your going to use for the next two-three years...

If OM actually releases a phone and it's something that you'd be willing to pay for and use.... are long shots at this point.
    Neely2005 and brookie229 like this.
    02-02-21 07:45 AM
    Try the Key2. Depending on the model, there are still updates for it. It's much faster than KeyOne, 6gb of ram keeps it smooth (virtually no slow downs).

I'm in Canada and Rogers just pushed out an update the other day.

I'm fearing the day I have to move on from a keyboard based phone.

The biggest downside is OS maxes out at 8.1. For me, I'm still cool with it. But many others want newer OSes.
    Neely2005 and the_boon like this.
    02-02-21 09:26 AM
    Try the Key2. Depending on the model, there are still updates for it. It's much faster than KeyOne, 6gb of ram keeps it smooth (virtually no slow downs).

I'm in Canada and Rogers just pushed out an update the other day.

I'm fearing the day I have to move on from a keyboard based phone.

The biggest downside is OS maxes out at 8.1. For me, I'm still cool with it. But many others want newer OSes.
    Yeah the OS is a huge issue for me. My Key1 is already on Android 8.1

The current version of Android is 11.
    02-02-21 10:51 AM

And only eight months till Android 12.... which is said to offer more visible improvement than some of the past Android updates. So buying a phone today that is current and will get Android 12 and maybe Android 13... should be a goal. I know the OP is think about OM new phone.... but it really might not be a viable option.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-02-21 11:07 AM
    And only eight months till Android 12.... which is said to offer more visible improvement than some of the past Android updates. So buying a phone today that is current and will get Android 12 and maybe Android 13... should be a goal. I know the OP is think about OM new phone.... but it really might not be a viable option.
    Only 8 months until Pixels get Android 12...it'll take a while for the others to get onboard.
    02-02-21 11:59 AM
    Only 8 months until Pixels get Android 12...it'll take a while for the others to get onboard.
    In beta (for Pixels) at the end of this month though!
    02-02-21 01:11 PM

Why Android malware scares are almost never as bad as they seem https://www.androidcentral.com/why-a...-bad-they-seem
    02-02-21 11:36 PM
    Why Android malware scares are almost never as bad as they seem https://www.androidcentral.com/why-a...-bad-they-seem
    The threat landscape was different back in 2016.

But sure, headlines are always meant to alarm everyone. Welcome to modern journalism.

But make no mistake - there are plenty of things out there to be vigilant about.
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-21 at 12:24 AM.
    02-02-21 11:54 PM
    Looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G 128 GB.

Thoughts on this phone?

Best Buy Canada has it on sale for $764.99 CAD.

Samsung says that it will support OS updates to Android 13.
    02-03-21 08:03 AM

Thoughts on this phone?

I'm not personally a fan of Samsung's 20:9 aspect ratio they put on some of their phones since 2020, but if you like it, sure there's nothing wrong with it.

It's quite big like most phones these days though. If you want something more compact, you may want to look at the Pixel 4a or 5, but if you prefer Samsung, the S10e is still their best compact option, even though it's almost two years old now. It should keep getting monthly security updates for another full year, and then quarterly updates until Spring of 2023.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 08:09 AM

Thoughts on this phone?

Android Authority:

"It’s a close call between the Pixel 5 and the Galaxy S20 FE Ultimately it really depends on what you might be looking for in a phone. If you want one with a bit longer battery life, solid photos and Android 11 out of the box, the Pixel 5 wins. If you want to have a more powerful processor and a bigger display, the Galaxy S20 FE is the victor."

The Pixel 5 will get one extra Android UPDATE - V14.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 08:10 AM
    Android Authority:

"It’s a close call between the Pixel 5 and the Galaxy S20 FE Ultimately it really depends on what you might be looking for in a phone. If you want one with a bit longer battery life, solid photos and Android 11 out of the box, the Pixel 5 wins. If you want to have a more powerful processor and a bigger display, the Galaxy S20 FE is the victor."

Kind of interesting that they proclaim the Pixel 5 to have the better battery, despite it being about 400mAh smaller than the S20 FE.

Size wise though, the P5 takes the cake as the FE is "just another oversized slab".

As for Android versions, can we expect nearly the same leaps and bounds between Android versions anymore like we used to? From 10 to 11, 11 to 12, etc
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-03-21 08:38 AM
    Android Authority:

I like that the Samsung S20 FE 5G has a Micro SD Slot.
    02-03-21 10:08 AM
    I like that the Samsung S20 FE 5G has a Micro SD Slot.
    It's funny, I used to think that was a big deal too. But between 128gb internal, and cloud sync, It just isn't an issue anymore.

And man is Google vanilla Android so much better than OneUI. So much cleaner and faster.
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-21 at 10:21 AM.
    02-03-21 10:10 AM
    Kind of interesting that they proclaim the Pixel 5 to have the better battery, despite it being about 400mAh smaller than the S20 FE.

Size wise though, the P5 takes the cake as the FE is "just another oversized slab".

As for Android versions, can we expect nearly the same leaps and bounds between Android versions anymore like we used to? From 10 to 11, 11 to 12, etc
    In regards to the Battery the Samsung has a bigger display than the Pixel 5. 6.5 Inches vs. 6.0 Inches. That's probably why.
    02-03-21 10:12 AM
    It's funny, I used to think that was a big deal too. But between 128gb internal, and cloud sync, It just isn't an issue anymore.
    I believe that you now have to pay for Cloud Storage on the newer Pixel phones.
    02-03-21 10:13 AM
    The Samsung has a bigger display than the Pixel 5. 6.5 Inches vs. 6.0 Inches. That's probably why.
    And Google Android is so much more finely-tuned on the Pixel. It was basically designed from the ground up specifically for their own phones.

But don't get me wrong, the Samsung is a nice device If you're into the large screen thing and/or gaming.
    02-03-21 10:14 AM
142 123 ...