One guy speaks of BBM on live T.V. and the whole world is startled.

Sorry...but this just wasn't news.
    You must be a real blast at parties.

It's news whenever anybody and their mother dumps BB for anything else. It's news that BB's market share is dropping faster then Curiosity's descent into the Martian atmosphere because users are leaving BB in droves. Why shouldn't we take notice when one of the best-known faces on the planet right now is rocking his BB on the world stage.
    08-06-12 08:31 AM
    dont know about north america, but in the UK this guy is just as popular as own medal winners. If rim sign him up they deffo need to get a british ad made.
    He is pretty funny on the Virgin - Branson ad already.

As you said, it would be cool to see Usain on a BB ad.....may be running to get to a BB store before it closes to buy a BB10.
    08-06-12 08:36 AM
    Go outside of North America (NA), and you will quickly notice that the planet (with remaining 6.6 billion or so.... in population) does use BB (with BBM) extensively. You will find that the 8xxx series Curve is probably the most popular model due to it's affordability in most economically strapped nations.

I saw it on NBC yesterday as well. Was not surprised....was cool!
    There are a significant amount of NA athletes (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, etc...) that choose BB over other platforms largely due to the QWERTY and BBM.
    08-06-12 08:40 AM
    RIM definitely needs to get this guy in an advertising campaign. Most people know who he is and he obviously likes the product!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-12 08:47 AM
    Are you listening, Mr. Tear????? This could be the most effective of your legions of 80-million faithful, gift-wrapped and hand-delivered!!!!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-12 08:58 AM
    you could have a fat guy wandering aimlessly along and a split screen of bolt zooming away...

this would fit in exactly with RIMS current UK ads.
    08-06-12 09:00 AM
    You don't stay rich wasting your money.
    If he had to text all his family back home vs BBM them he could be spending $1000's a day
    I doubt anyone could spend $1000's a day on roaming fees even if they were streaming movies 24/7. Usain Bolt is paid $300,000 as an appearance fee on the European circuit just to run a race in less than 10 seconds.
    08-06-12 09:00 AM
    I doubt anyone could spend $1000's a day on roaming fees even if they were streaming movies 24/7.
    Actually you can. Last year Verizon cut me off in South Africa after about 36 hours and $3500 in fees. Oh, and I wasn't streaming any videos.

I was using my Firm's "recommended" way to connect. I then got a Vodafone SIM card and spent about $200 for about 10X the data I got for $3500.
    08-06-12 09:06 AM
    RIM definitely needs to get this guy in an advertising campaign. Most people know who he is and he obviously likes the product!
    Bolt will only be useful in an advertising campaign in his home country and Caribbean nations where data usage is very important.

Paying him to plug BB7 products in North America or many other big established markets is a HUGE waste of money. Bolt's endorsement isn't going to make people buy a product they find inferior. Using him for BB10 would make more sense, but that's so far off that most of the momentum of Bolt's accomplishments will have worn off by then.
    08-06-12 09:39 AM
    Bolt will only be useful in an advertising campaign in his home country and Caribbean nations where data usage is very important.

Paying him to plug BB7 products in North America or many other big established markets is a HUGE waste of money. Bolt's endorsement isn't going to make people buy a product they find inferior. Using him for BB10 would make more sense, but that's so far off that most of the momentum of Bolt's accomplishments will have worn off by then.
    He is already flogging an inferior product in the UK, Virgin media tv packages opposed to Sky tv.
    08-06-12 09:44 AM
    Most likely, like the Kardashian clan, he is getting his stuff for free. Thus, considering his current deals, it might be tough for RIM to sign him.

I'm sure RIM could co opt the footage like Disney does with winners who proclaim "I'm going to Disney" in NA.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-06-12 09:56 AM
    Haha I instantly thought about crackberry having this up there when I saw it, well, after doing a big fist pump due to my excited-ness the fastest man uses the fastest messaging
    sleepngbear likes this.
    08-06-12 09:56 AM
    He is already flogging an inferior product in the UK, Virgin media tv packages opposed to Sky tv.
    bloody !!! if virgin is inferior to sky, it must be bad
    Ben1232 likes this.
    08-06-12 10:22 AM

actually the is one of the few people who are recognised globally...i wouldnt recognise most american athletes if i tripped over them.
    sleepngbear and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-06-12 10:25 AM
    dont know about north america, but in the UK this guy is just as popular as own medal winners. If rim sign him up they deffo need to get a british ad made.
    the 100m winner is the Olympic medalist,
    one announcer said it best, that if this was soccer the 100m final is the world cup finally being decided by a corner kick, or in Hockey it is the Stanley cup, coming down to a shoot out. the most drama that can be packed into just under 10 seconds
    08-06-12 10:44 AM
    They should use him for advertising - if you want to work as fast as the world's fastest human, use a BlackBerry.
    That's pretty good. I'd write RIM marketing and try to sell that idea.
    08-06-12 10:54 AM
    One guy speaks of BBM on live T.V. and the whole world is startled.

Sorry...but this just wasn't news.
    It actually kinda is considering how many were watching. The mens 100M Olympic final is the most watched sporting event on the planet (2 billion people, estimated).

If superbowl players with iPhones is considered a big deal (170 million viewers) this is no different, actually bigger considering more people watched this.
    Last edited by xandermac; 08-06-12 at 11:08 AM.
    08-06-12 10:56 AM
    You people are ridiculous. This guy is from jamaica. Jamaica is a 3rd world nation. Their technology is behind ours. People use bbs in places they cant get anything newer. Blackberry people "do"? so youre telling me that the hoardes of other olympians, who i am sure arent all using blackberries, "dont"? And that somehow this man breaking a speed record has even the sloghtest bit of anything to do with the mobile phone he uses? Hilarious that this is front page news.
    Last edited by DarshOne; 08-06-12 at 11:39 AM.
    08-06-12 11:36 AM
    It actually kinda is considering how many were watching. The mens 100M Olympic final is the most watched sporting event on the planet (2 billion people, estimated).

If superbowl players with iPhones is considered a big deal (170 million viewers) this is no different, actually bigger considering more people watched this.
    Exactly this. He's vastly recognizable. The best part is, they don't even have to manufacture a marketing gimic for him, like the NASCAR drivers who all happen to drink Coke or the NHRA guys who always happen to conveniently be slamming down a bottle Full Throttle just when the cameras are on them.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    08-06-12 11:42 AM
    So? That doesn't mean RIM should be throwing money at Bolt to promote a product people have already voted against by not opening up their wallets.

I've said this time and time again... marketing will only get you so far, you NEED to have a product people want. BB7 isn't it - at least not enough people want it to help RIM from the free-fall.
    08-06-12 11:44 AM
    I doubt anyone could spend $1000's a day on roaming fees even if they were streaming movies 24/7. Usain Bolt is paid $300,000 as an appearance fee on the European circuit just to run a race in less than 10 seconds.
    IT is VERY easy to hit $1000/day
    SMS costs me $0.75 each sent/received text
    Data rates can be as much a $0.03/KB ($30/MB)

Without BBM chances are SMS would be the communication of choice, it isn't hard to send off 500 SMS in a day and receive just as many, especially considering his fame,
    The coupled with FULL uncompressed emails without truncation

Usain MUST have some intelligent people helping him understand his income earning potential is a short time, his money needs to last him his life, so wasting it would be silly, when the majority of his country men who use smartphones are using BlackBerry's it is in his best interest to do so, from a financial standpoint unless someone wants to pay him to use another device
    08-06-12 11:45 AM
    You people are ridiculous. This guy is from jamaica. Jamaica is a 3rd world nation. Their technology is behind ours. People use bbs in places they cant get anything newer. Blackberry people "do"? so youre telling me that the hoardes of other olympians, who i am sure arent all using blackberries, "dont"? And that somehow this man breaking a speed record has even the sloghtest bit of anything to do with the mobile phone he uses? Hilarious that this is front page news.
    You're ridiculous. Nobody is saying anything of the sort. Pay attention and learn something, or go back to iMore.
    08-06-12 11:45 AM

Who P!ssed in your Wheaties this morning?
    08-06-12 11:47 AM
    C'mon.

This is the fastest man in the world. Literally. He does transcend being born in a "third-world" country. He has traveled more than most people will in their lifetime.

Whether you believe RIM is struggling or is thriving, free, unsolicited product placement is gold. It is a good thing for RIM, and an exciting moment for BB enthusiasts.
    08-06-12 11:49 AM

I disagree.

actually the is one of the few people who are recognised globally...i wouldnt recognise most american athletes if i tripped over them.
    I know who Usain Bolt is, but I don't know any of the current American track athletes, and I'm from the US.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    08-06-12 12:04 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD