I didn't see the DoD going this far. If anyone wants to complain about BESAdmin's getting power hungry at normal companies with their Blackberries, be glad your not in the Navy and this happening to your BB.

Navy tightens grip on BlackBerrys
    By John Rendleman GCN
    October 25, 2007

The Navy has implemented tougher security settings for BlackBerry devices used by naval personnel. Administrators for the Navy-Marine Corps Intranet activated the new settings Oct. 17 for the Navy and Oct. 23 for the Marine Corps.

The Office of the Department of the Navy’s Chief Information Officer based its strengthened security configuration on Wireless Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) BlackBerry Security Checklist v5, Release 1.2, published May 23 by the Defense Information Systems Agency, and on additional guidance from the Marine Corps and Navy Designated Approving Authority. The new settings work with readers used to access the Navy-Marine Corps Intranet with Common Access Cards, according to the CIO’s office.

The changes to the Navy’s BlackBerry security settings were implemented to protect the devices against unauthorized access and to turn off features that potentially compromised their security. Users received a message on their devices that the new settings had taken effect, and that users did not have to change the settings because the Navy would automatically reset the security settings of all of its devices through updates on the Navy’s BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

The devices will still require a five-character password, incorporating at least one alpha and one numeric character, which users must change every 90 days.

The new settings disabled several features and services, including instant messaging services, unencrypted peer-to-peer (PIN-to-PIN) messaging services, the Blackberry Instant Messenger tool, the Global Positioning System tracking feature and the Application Loader and third-party application download capability.

In addition, the Navy strengthened the lock-and-erase feature on the devices so that after five unsuccessful log-in attempts they will enter lock mode and erase all locally stored data. Once a device is locked, its owner will have to contact the Navy’s service desk to access the device and reset its password. While the devices are locked, users will be allowed to make and receive phone calls, although access to the devices’ stored phone book will be blocked.

Also, the increased security settings will turn off the devices’ antennae while they are connected to a desktop computer via a USB cable to disable phone and e-mail communications. While the devices are connected all phone calls will go directly to a user’s voice mail, and all pending e-mails will be delivered after the device is disconnected.
    Last edited by audit; 10-26-07 at 08:10 AM.
    10-26-07 07:39 AM
    Being a government manager that has one of these BlackBerrys, I have found that the paranoia about a phone device used for unclassified communications is just plain STUPID. I have now turned mine in for just a cell phone and I purchased a BB 8310 curve for personal use and I give the email address to those that need to reach me when I travel. The NAVY's NMCI network is the most despised system ever fostered on a user community. The BlackBerrys have been rendered some cumbersome to use that they are no longer an effective communications tool and the computers on the NMCI network are so burdened with security software and settings that most of us do our real work at home on computers that perform! An NMCI computer can take 20-25 minutes to boot and periodically locks up while some strange software is being run in the background making typing a simple letter a huge pain as you wait 2-3 minutes for it to allow you to resume. Worst of all is that the security it promises is illusionary and once cracked the entire network is at risk as has happened more than once.
    11-03-07 02:35 PM
    As someone that was a contractor to the .gov sector, I agree with a lot of that. Maybe it's just the NSA policies but I know that anyone that works at the NSA can NOT use their home computers for anything work related. I have family that still work for them and know the policies very well
    11-03-07 02:47 PM
    I think they're little TOO paranoid...
    11-03-07 02:53 PM
    Uh no. Not with all the data that people can have on their BB's.
    11-03-07 04:04 PM
    Wow, they totally stripped the bbs you guys use. So basically you can only talk on your device? That blows! Sorry, maybe you should just get your own personal bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-07 06:06 PM
    I don't know what other agency's are like but at the NSA, you can't even bring your personal cell phone inside. It must stay in your car.
    11-03-07 06:13 PM
    The policies vary all over the map with little sense applied to any of them. At CIA you must leave it in the car and at DIA you can bring it in provided you turn it off. CIA=no iPods and DIA= iPods ok. Go figure!
    11-05-07 08:49 PM
    I know the CIA and FBI are like the NSA where you must leave them in your car, I've never been to the DIA so I can't comment on that.
    11-06-07 06:59 AM
    Is there a way to export content from my BlackBerry (8830)? I see the lovely "micro SD" slot in the back, which would allow me to get to attachments and such on a non-NMCI BlackBerry, but I don't know if it will work with my NMCI device.

FWIW, the NMCI controls didn't clamp down on my Blackberry until the third day of use. I noticed a huge difference (not improvement) in utility of the device at that point.
    09-30-08 08:29 AM
    better to be safe the sorry, I guess...
    11-18-08 02:10 PM
    Another reason I don't work in the Military. I once wanted to go to school and get into the U.S. Marshalls guess it good I didn't I can't leave my personal cell phone to suffer in the heat. Do they realize what that could do to circut boards and lcd monitors if it gets too hot. I guess they figure with those fat government paychecks yall can buy a new one anytime huh.
    I'm glad we live in a FREE country those other poor countries must really suffer.
    11-19-08 12:48 PM
    Do they realize what that could do to circut boards and lcd monitors if it gets too hot. I guess they figure with those fat government paychecks yall can buy a new one anytime huh.
    I'm glad we live in a FREE country those other poor countries must really suffer.
    Luvitlo-

Where have you been?

America is on the Fast Track to becoming just like those "other" countries.

Some would even argue we're already there.

But I guess you wouldn't notice such a thing since:

1.) You don't believe in TV's-

2.) You think People should dress up "A La Amish" 24/7

3.) Your to Busy Picketing World of Warcraft.

PS-

Thanks for learning to use periods, Your Posts have become slightly more intelligible.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 11-19-08 at 01:14 PM.
    11-19-08 01:01 PM
    With all those things disabled, why not just give them regular phones takes the fun and a lot of the functionality out of a BB

11-19-08 02:01 PM
    Luvitlo-

Where have you been?

America is on the Fast Track to becoming just like those "other" countries.

Some would even argue we're already there.

But I guess you wouldn't notice such a thing since:

1.) You don't believe in TV's-

2.) You think People should dress up "A La Amish" 24/7

3.) Your to Busy Picketing World of Warcraft.

PS-

Thanks for learning to use periods, Your Posts have become slightly more intelligible.

TV ain't worth having my aunt has over 200 channels and always says nothings on or it's reruns. Last time I visited her she was watching The Dukes of Hazzard the TV Series that got cancelled like 15 or 20 years ago.
    I watch weather online, don't care for news much I got all the campain information I needed to vote from friends who keep track. I don't dress up all the time Just wear long pants or blue jeans and make sure my body is covered. Do you have a problem with my religious Preference???
    As for WoW I ain't even opened the page in over a week because people like you was getting off the topic and using the board to DIS my posts. Mainly because your too dumb to read something without periods. I guess your one of those people whom send 20 texts to make a point so you can use propper puntuation. Even Teachers in High School would tell students "You make a good point, express your views well, very good grammer....BUT your puntuation, and use of run-on sentences caused your grade to drop dramaticly. Guess who helped the English teacher and Algebra teacher grade papers in my school............give up.............Me I had A's in school, my intelect is high, maybe not at it's peak with all the perscriptions I'm on right now. But when God heals me completely I have a Job waiting in a high position with the company I was with when I wrecked.......Can you be out of work over 3 years and your Supervisor guarantee you atleast an Assistant D.M. position if not higher?

Sorry this got off topic but prada started it LOL
    11-19-08 02:33 PM
    With all those things disabled, why not just give them regular phones takes the fun and a lot of the functionality out of a BB

Don't you know the Military likes to **Bling**Bling** all those decorations and shiny metals they need a BlackBerry to go with it. They don't care if they can only make phone calls of have to carry it for looks alone.
    On a more serious note the Military likes be on the cutting edge of technology even if they mess up all the best features, it looks good and like they have all the smarts LOL
    11-19-08 02:39 PM
    I have a govt Blackberry� and I also carry a personal one. I guess if you want the govt Blackberry� you have to put up with their security. I can't install anything on the govt one and I have to have a pertty strong password but other than that its a Blackberry�. Actually I want to keep my personal one for personal use. I don't want the BES admins nosing in on my private emails, web sites I visit or track my calls. Almost everyone at work carries some type of a personal communication device (Blackberry�, regualr cell, a pda ... Etc).

11-19-08 02:47 PM
    -I won't even acknowledge that atrocity you directed towards me before, Luvie.-

Don't you know the Military likes to **Bling**Bling** all those decorations and shiny metals they need a BlackBerry to go with it. They don't care if they can only make phone calls of have to carry it for looks alone.
    On a more serious note the Military likes be on the cutting edge of technology even if they mess up all the best features, it looks good and like they have all the smarts LOL
    My Curiosity Has Been Piqued, Luvitlo-

What Led You to Draw the Conclusion that:

"The Military Like to **Bling**Bling** all those decorations".

Regardless of How much you piqued my curiosity, After that point I Can barely understand you.

"They like to be on the cutting edge of technology even if they mess up all the best features, It Looks good and like they have all the smarts?"

Huh? You Lost Me On That One. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, Please Enlighten Me.

Because You Definitely Have Before.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 11-19-08 at 02:59 PM.
    11-19-08 02:49 PM
    Hmmmm. seems to me that Verizon and the Military have something in common...

I kid, I kid... Really, the only comment to the OP that I have is that I have to agree with this policy, as long as the Government is providing the phone. If they require the same restrictions on your own personal phone, then that would be going too far.
    11-19-08 02:54 PM
    trust me, being a navy family, there really is no use for messaging etc on a Military issued BB.. I can agree with that, I understand why they do it.

Also, at our command, the CO HAS to take his BB everywhere, even on leave, he must have it in order to be contacted, yes, he gets tired of having even on leave, as does his wife I imagine, but there are a TON of emails each day they receive, so with that being said, just the emails alone, and keeping up the base/command, I doubt they have time for sms/PIN yadda yadda LOL...

They also do not leave thier personal cells in the car, the people I know take them in all day, and as far as the big fat paychecks... where did you get THAT idea? LOL
    11-19-08 02:56 PM
    Haha, I was waiting for Rachel to comment on this...
    11-19-08 02:58 PM
    And for all those who said they're glad they aren't serving because of restrictions I tell you I'm also glad you're not. If you'd give up the oppertuinity of a lifetime to do something for your country because of a Blackberry�, money, or any other reason then its not for you.

The bling bling comment, offended me personally. Decorations and *shiny* medals/metals, are deserved and needed. I didnt bother reading to much into your posts, but tell me again why you are not serving our country? Cuz you have to leave your phone in the car?
    The bling bling comment, offended me personally. Decorations and *shiny* medals/metals, are deserved and needed. I didnt bother reading to much into your posts, but tell me again why you are not serving our country? Cuz you have to leave your phone in the car?
    Good, I thought I was the only one that had their skin crawl upon reading that ignorant post.
    11-19-08 03:02 PM
    Thank you Rachel...you saved me ALOT of typing.

On a personal note, I have 25 years worth of "bling bling" from two branches. The only place you will ever see those is in my office. And I earned every damn one of them.
    11-19-08 03:07 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD