Which one of these free programs do you prefer? I want one that gives voice directions and prefer one that gives street names. Garmin looks like a good one but I don't want to have to pay the $100 for the software.
    09-09-08 03:44 PM
    Personally I like Nav4All. Just my preference.
    amaZeGPS recently upgraded and it is 200 times a better
    app than it was.

Both give turn by turn, neither announce street names. And
    amaZegps has a new 3D map feature that looks really good.

They are both free so put them both through their paces.
    09-10-08 12:19 AM
    This isn't even close. Nav4All just sucks and amAzeGPS is one of the best free GPS programs out there. The only thing holding it back is a known sound issue with MANY blackberry users where the sounds cuts off after 2 seconds.

I would still pick amAzeGPS everytime over Nav4All even with the sound bug.
    09-10-08 12:55 PM
    AmazeGPS love it, been using it for almost a year. Voice nav, Sat maps, 3d views, POIs that work, very nice and very free.
    09-10-08 01:09 PM
    captcrackberry, using AmazeGPS with vzw for free works for turn by turn, how?
    09-10-08 02:04 PM
    captcrackberry, using AmazeGPS with vzw for free works for turn by turn, how?
    your question makes no sense but he's probably using an external GPS puck with it.

verizon sux their coverage sux their customer service sux there is not a single good thing about verizon
    09-10-08 10:05 PM
    This isn't even close. Nav4All just sucks and amAzeGPS is one of the best free GPS programs out there. The only thing holding it back is a known sound issue with MANY blackberry users where the sounds cuts off after 2 seconds.

I would still pick amAzeGPS everytime over Nav4All even with the sound bug.

It's all personal preference. Just because you like a particular app
    DOES NOT mean it is the best app for everyone else.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-10-08 at 11:18 PM.
    09-10-08 11:16 PM
    your question makes no sense but he's probably using an external GPS puck with it.

verizon sux their coverage sux their customer service sux there is not a single good thing about verizon
    What about the J.D. Power ranking Verizon Wireless Network #1 in the nation?

'NUFF SAID!
    09-11-08 06:13 PM
    Im trying to get into the amazegps site and I can't.
    Can someone help with a link or something?

I got it.
    I have a question. I have the Curve 8320, will I be able to use this or do I need to purchase something to make it work?
    Last edited by msdizzydolores; 09-13-08 at 10:38 PM.
    09-13-08 10:33 PM
    You will need an external GPS puck. I highly recommend the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000
    09-15-08 04:45 PM
    Ok...so once I have the Freedom Keychain (which I was going to get) then I can use Amaze?

And this is better/sounder then buying a Garmin (which I really want)?
    09-15-08 05:35 PM
    I've tried Amaze and Nav4All. In the end, neither hold a candle to ATT (telenav) Navigator. But for a distant second place, I give the prize to nav4all. It's generally accurate, with a nice, simple readout, and a really hot sounding British chick giving directions.

Amaze GPS is fine, but the street names are bizarro. For example I was on the Mass Pike / Rte 90, and it said I was on "so-and-so street" (forget the exact name). It did the same thing when I was on another major highway. unacceptable. And the maps, both 2D and 3D were nearly impossible to discern while driving. The arrow interface is actually nicer than nav4all (and I like the arrow thing). Just that nav4all was cleaner and didn't get weird with the names.
    09-17-08 01:30 PM
    I have been told that Nav4All has maps all over the world. In other words you could use it anywhere, while others are limited to North America.

Is this true?
    09-17-08 03:43 PM
    I have been told that Nav4All has maps all over the world. In other words you could use it anywhere, while others are limited to North America.

Is this true?
    Not true.....
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-18-08 at 02:06 PM. Reason: cleaning up
    09-17-08 07:58 PM
    please... my experience and knowledge with Blackberrys extends far beyond even most people on this site.

what does that have to do with amAze being the better GPS anyway?
    forgive me for not realizing I was in the presence of superior thinking...

So amAze is so good it routed me off the freeway on 3 consecutive offramps, only to go right back on the the same ramp... then wandered me through countryside when the next exit would have me .2 miles from my destination. Nav4All just happened to blow the socks off on this trip for accuracy. So... no one anything is vastly superior in every situation... I like to use both among others including DeLorme Topo on my laptop which blows both the BB packages out of the water.
    09-18-08 06:24 AM
    forgive me for not realizing I was in the presence of superior thinking...

So amAze is so good it routed me off the freeway on 3 consecutive offramps, only to go right back on the the same ramp... then wandered me through countryside when the next exit would have me .2 miles from my destination. Nav4All just happened to blow the socks off on this trip for accuracy. So... no one anything is vastly superior in every situation... I like to use both among others including DeLorme Topo on my laptop which blows both the BB packages out of the water.
    See the problem is that amAzeGPS is SO advanced, that there are different route settings depending on how you want to drive. You undoubtedly had it set to "Shortest" in which case amAze was right for sending you on those off ramps. What you SHOULD'VE had it set to was "Fastest" in which case amAze would have blew that piece of garbage Nav4All out of that water.

Nav4All whole mapping system sucks and as far as I know amAze is the only free app with 3D maps.
    09-18-08 01:23 PM
    See the problem is that amAzeGPS is SO advanced, that there are different route settings depending on how you want to drive. You undoubtedly had it set to "Shortest" in which case amAze was right for sending you on those off ramps. What you SHOULD'VE had it set to was "Fastest" in which case amAze would have blew that piece of garbage Nav4All out of that water.

Nav4All whole mapping system sucks and as far as I know amAze is the only free app with 3D maps.
    darn... I DID have it set to "Fastest" and the vastly superior software must have known I could have shot off the off ramps and back on the on ramps at a speed faster than just staying on the freeway. Stupid me for actually stopping at the stop sign and looking both ways before proceeding back up the on ramp. I turned "that piece of garbage" Nav4All on for the return trip and it simply was not smart enough to know to send me down the off ramps like amAze did so I'm sure my return trip was "Shortest" and maybe even "Fastest" as well, go figure...
    09-18-08 01:49 PM
    I just tried and ended up removing Amaze off my phone. We took a trip up north this weekend so i thought i try Amaze. First thing the sound didn't work (found out from previous post it broke on BB) Second the zoom feature sucks big time. they need it like other apps, push a key to zoom and another to zoom out. Third, this is just more of a preference thing. I like to see the map not the arrow direction. well the map seam to take way to long to regenerate, and yes i had great reception. Fourth, for some reason it wanted me to turn around cause i was supposedly going the wrong way alot, i wasn't.

now for Nav4all. I have this also, only thing i don't like about it is how you need to know more than you know about a address to find it, if you you know what i mean....lol lol lol But once you do find the address, I've found it works pretty good. But i still do have BM as a backup on my phone
    09-19-08 05:57 AM
    now for Nav4all. I have this also, only thing i don't like about it is how you need to know more than you know about a address to find it, if you you know what i mean....lol lol lol But once you do find the address, I've found it works pretty good. But i still do have BM as a backup on my phone
    You hit on one of the biggest complaints I would have for Nav4All. I have never been able to get an address from my contacts to work directly. You have to go through every step from country on down. It would be great if the contacts input would just work.
    09-19-08 08:44 AM
    I just tried and ended up removing Amaze off my phone. We took a trip up north this weekend so i thought i try Amaze. First thing the sound didn't work (found out from previous post it broke on BB) Second the zoom feature sucks big time. they need it like other apps, push a key to zoom and another to zoom out. Third, this is just more of a preference thing. I like to see the map not the arrow direction. well the map seam to take way to long to regenerate, and yes i had great reception. Fourth, for some reason it wanted me to turn around cause i was supposedly going the wrong way alot, i wasn't.

See there are many problems with your flawed statements in this post.

The first is the sound issue, which is a known problem with Blackberrys, which I had already stated in this thread. It's still a better GPS than the others even with the sound issue. Second... who needs a zoom feature? If you're using the 90 degree angle map view it automatically zooms in by itself when you're approaching a turn, but it doesn't make sense to use that anyway because amAze comes with something called *3D MAPS!*. If you're not using the 3D Maps function then you probably don't need a GPS in the first place. To change from the arrow to the map all you have to do (on a Curve) is press the @ button. You don't have something like that on your phone? Finally the map regeneration issue is a problem with your phone, not the amAze.

It's funny because with all these things you said are wrong with amAze the same things are wrong with Nav4All just 10x worse.
    09-19-08 12:19 PM
    I've tried both. I prefer to use Nav4All but both seem good.

Nav4All
    - does not kill the battery quite like AmAze does
    - I can mark my current location as a favorite
    - Addresses are more accurate
    - clock showing the time you will get to your destination
    - a reminder that you are going over the speed limit (you can chnage how many mph over before she tells you to "pay attention"
    - Night mode (black/green)

However:

AmAze
    - nicer looking interface
    - 3D maps
    - rotating map (can lock if you wish)

I haven't used AmAze enough to compare the accuracy of them yet. Both put my house at 200y away from where it is so when I'm in my driveway I never reach my destination. I have not had the sound issue with AmAze like others have.
    09-19-08 12:37 PM
    I've tried both. I prefer to use Nav4All but both seem good.

Nav4All
    - does not kill the battery quite like AmAze does
    - I can mark my current location as a favorite
    - Addresses are more accurate
    - clock showing the time you will get to your destination
    - a reminder that you are going over the speed limit (you can chnage how many mph over before she tells you to "pay attention"
    - Night mode (black/green)

However:

AmAze
    - nicer looking interface
    - 3D maps
    - rotating map (can lock if you wish)

I haven't used AmAze enough to compare the accuracy of them yet. Both put my house at 200y away from where it is so when I'm in my driveway I never reach my destination. I have not had the sound issue with AmAze like others have.
    You can set your current location as a favorite in amAze too. amAze ALSO shows you the time till reaching destination AND time till completing your current "step".
    09-19-08 01:06 PM
    I was wondering will these GPS apps guide me through the Mississippi River? Do they Navigate the waterways? Does Any?
    09-21-08 11:14 PM
    Yes, of course.
    If there is a ferry, it'll be included in your route.
    10-30-08 04:43 AM
    On a less serious note... then again serious, I've heard stories where folks have driven into the drink as they were paying more attention to their GPS's routing than where they were going. ie: crossing a canal where there is no bridge... I was looking for a major store a few months back, found it on my Garmin and it took me to an open field down by the river, I though... This is definitely not the place.

True or not, watch where you are going.
    10-30-08 11:01 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD