If the app works what's the difference if it's native or ported?. It's like people will find anything to complain about bb10.. Half the apps are just ports ummmm what's wrong with that? Isn't android #1? Wouldn't u want as many of them as u can? People will find anything to complain about. app developers make an app do they really want to build a brand new app that does the same thing?? PLUS ported apps will be more familiar for those coming from Android. People stop your complaints, 1st it was no Skype finally they announced it and now the complaints are its not native, it works right? So wtf u complaining about. If they build it, people will find a way to complain. The only native apps should be new ones that have never been released. We have waited LONG enough and don't have time for them to make the same app native. I don't see any reason for people complaining. It's just another way to bash berry.
    Grumblegrumble, Bdot-1 and shupor like this.
    03-24-13 12:59 PM
    I've been saying the same thing for months.. its the same guys who boast to their friends that the Z10 is Awsome because it runs android apps. But then turn around and start threads about how they're so upset at the company for not giving us a native app.

Netflix - whatsapp - flipboard have all been amazing ports that I use everyday. In fact I went back to the whatsapp port because the native was missing features.

I now try to ignore the threads that complain. There's no sense in feeding the trolls

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    03-24-13 01:07 PM
    the best answer I have read here to that question I think is this...

If you have to run Android inside a container on QNX, it means the resources (memory, processor) devoted to running a separate OS inside another, are not available for the app to use. For simple apps that might not matter at all as you say in your OP, but for the more complicated ones where folks are noting lag, wonkiness, etc you would assume that app would have run better if it didn't have to devote system resources in this way, and Native apps don't have to do so.

Yes, a laggy or wonky app is better than no app and the hope is that there will be native equivalents to all of the major apps, and eventually where you see an app you want to run on your smartphone you will see BBWorld and a Native app ready to run.
    03-24-13 01:09 PM
    Ported apps are running on a very early version of Android.

Announcing an app is very different from having it available, remember when Alec Saunders announced Skype in time for the US launch?

Permissions for ported apps are a problem.
    This opens up a can of worms in terms of malware and similar issues.

Sideloading is illegal.

Android users might rightly ask, if you only want ported Android apps, and have it running on an emulator of an old version of Android, why not spend the same money and get a current gen Android phone running all modern Android apps natively and on a newer build.

So yeah, that's just a few reasons why.
    Grumblegrumble and Jonathank like this.
    03-24-13 01:12 PM
    My ported apps are running great! The only one that is questionable really is Netflix, but that's only in the menu

Doodle Devil
    Drag Racing
    Crime Story
    Advanced Task Killer
    Super Swiss Army Knife
    Ebay
    Survival Guide
    Tabs Tool
    And more...
    03-24-13 01:16 PM
    The big selling point on BB10 is the "user experience." Thor says it on basically every interview when asked what makes the new Blackberry different than android and apple. A native app is designed to work on BB10 so the user interface is smooth and slick. A ported app is designed for a different system and can't take advantage of all the benefits of BB10, so the "user experience" is crippled and you're better off going back to android to get it to work right. Most ported apps seem to get the major function of the app working, but if it's lagging or choppy or has a big black line across the app it may not be worth the effort.
    bobauckland and Jonathank like this.
    03-24-13 02:38 PM
    It's all about usability and experience. A native app will have the same experience (settings, peek, flow, etc.) as the stock apps on the phone. It gives the OS cohesion.
    03-24-13 02:53 PM
    It's all about usability and experience. A native app will have the same experience (settings, peek, flow, etc.) as the stock apps on the phone. It gives the OS cohesion.
    Well peek and flow will work regardless since those are Os based gestures

Native Apps VS Ported Apps-img_00000011.png

Native Apps VS Ported Apps-img_00000012.png
    03-24-13 02:59 PM
    it's just a matter of time before this site starts getting cease and desist letters from developers or possibly even google for the sideloading stuff. i see developers right now enraged that their app is in blackberry world, being sold for money and it's not them. this problem is growing. it will spread to here. so a community push for native apps is going to be a good idea.
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    03-24-13 07:02 PM
    Well peek and flow will work regardless since those are Os based gestures ]
    do you get notifications in the hub from a ported app? say instagram? if someone sends you a message or responds to a post on instagram or any other ported app, does it integrate into the hub like native ones?
    03-24-13 07:03 PM
    do you get notifications in the hub from a ported app? say instagram? if someone sends you a message or responds to a post on instagram or any other ported app, does it integrate into the hub like native ones?
    No, the app has to be built in Cascades and with specific APIs to support the Hub and this obviously excludes the ported apps.

In my experience, most of ported apps run poorly if they are anything more than a web wrapper (in which case, it would be better if the dev just did a PhoneGap build but I guess that there was no incentive to do that since you could port or even "build" utter **** and get $100 an app and a free phone from BlackBerry), the whole thing of running a runtime that runs on top of another runtime inside a virtual machine in another OS is clever but it ruins the experience.

As for your point about C&D letters -- yup. It's not cool to start offering up BAR files the original devs didn't create or worse - uploading those files to AppWorld. If people want to convert and sideload in the privacy of their own computer, fine, but widely distributing those files isn't cool. That's what will turn off devs a lot more than 2 star reviews.

Let's be serious, the worst part about the ports is that most devs will never revisit the app again anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    03-25-13 12:00 AM
    it's just a matter of time before this site starts getting cease and desist letters from developers or possibly even google for the sideloading stuff. i see developers right now enraged that their app is in blackberry world, being sold for money and it's not them. this problem is growing. it will spread to here. so a community push for native apps is going to be a good idea.
    What I'm saying is that native apps will follow, having android as a back up is amazing, that's why BB has a chance.
    03-25-13 12:39 AM
    Well peek and flow will work regardless since those are Os based gestures
    That's not quite true. Peek and flow are in-app concepts as well. For example, the transition between the email list and the compose screen uses those concepts.
    03-25-13 02:05 AM
    Want to know why devs aren't committed?
    http://openwhatsapp.org/blog/2013/03...ar-blackberry/

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 02:30 AM
    The plain and simple ans is: If i wanted to use android apps i would have bought an android device a LONG time ago.

It is not rocket science really. BB10 is, apparently, the worlds first truly built for mobile computing OS but you are willing to accept apps from what is universally recognised as the least secure, most fragmented, mobile OS on the market........ Really?

There is this novel train of thought that if we show support of the android ports native will follow. so hows that worked with the support shown via PB? Sideloading shows zero support as the dev doesnt even know you have it. How about you show your support by supporting those that support you, Built for BlackBerry should be first port of call. Then using the browser second. If not then someone loses my customer OR it waits till i get to my PC.

I am a bit of an elitist and am waiting for my Q10, when it lands we will really see how this debate heats up when all the ports dont work on the Q10 screen size. As for my PB that has maybe 3 ported apps from store. They dont run properly so they are usually deleted before i even try them.

What i really want is for the bridge experiment to be completed and a list of cars with true QNX built for BlackBerry integration.
    Jonathank likes this.
    03-25-13 02:39 AM