So it's official - iPhone 5 is adopting the Nano-SIM card. What will this mean for BB10? Will BlackBerry continue to use the SIM or MicroSIM standard, or will it transition to the Nano-SIM?
    09-12-12 03:50 PM
    Eventually, they'll all transfer to nanoSIM as well. Motorola, Nokia, RIM.. etc etc.. all fought Apple on it but Apple won. However, that transition likely won't happen with the first batch of BlackBerry 10 devices.

New SIM card format for slimmer, smaller phones
    09-12-12 04:04 PM
    I don't see that it would have any effect on BB10. RIM will eventually move to the new standard when needed or warranted. The new sim slot component will replace the current one. The SIM, regardless of size, still does the same job. Is there some advantage to the end user what SIM card size they use?

Will this nano-SIM have an effect on iOS6? It's just a hardware component. It seems to me it only really aids during the internal design phase. I can't see people seeking out nano-SIM devices like they might look for the advantages of LTE, for example.
    09-12-12 04:48 PM
    Is there some advantage to the end user what SIM card size they use?

Will this nano-SIM have an effect on iOS6? It's just a hardware component. It seems to me it only really aids during the internal design phase. I can't see people seeking out nano-SIM devices like they might look for the advantages of LTE, for example.
    Any hardware component that is smaller will mean --- more space for the battery.

There are only a few ways to make more space:

(1) use nano-SIM
    (2) use thinner glass (more likely to break)
    (3) seal the handset (i.e. no battery door)
    (4) glue everything together (making iphone nearly impossible to service if there is a hardware problem)
    (5) eliminate the hardware keyboard

BB10 phones will have (problems 1,3 and 5): a larger micro-SIM (from the leaked video a few days ago), a battery door and a hardware keyboard.
    09-13-12 10:28 PM
    Any hardware component that is smaller will mean --- more space for the battery.

There are only a few ways to make more space:

(1) use nano-SIM
    (2) use thinner glass (more likely to break)
    (3) seal the handset (i.e. no battery door)
    (4) glue everything together (making iphone nearly impossible to service if there is a hardware problem)
    (5) eliminate the hardware keyboard

BB10 phones will have (problems 1,3 and 5): a larger micro-SIM (from the leaked video a few days ago), a battery door and a hardware keyboard.
    i doubt a smaller SIM will make that much more space and i'm sure the placement of where the SIM cards go won't make much of a difference either
    09-13-12 10:31 PM
    It is important to establish standards. One never knows what it might lead to in the future.
    09-13-12 10:47 PM
    i doubt a smaller SIM will make that much more space and i'm sure the placement of where the SIM cards go won't make much of a difference either
    For other handset makers, it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

But BB10 is already disadvantaged with the presence of a battery door and a hardware keyboard. And we haven't talked about the possibility of a slider phone --- the sliding mechanism takes even more space.
    09-13-12 11:01 PM

But BB10 is already disadvantaged with the presence of a battery door and a hardware keyboard. And we haven't talked about the possibility of a slider phone --- the sliding mechanism takes even more space.
    even still to save maybe 1/4 square inches of space in area like the nano SIM or even regular SIM to me doesn't seem like much of a space savings unless you build out your battery to have a small bump where the SIM card goes. you may be right and it may allow for more space buy i don't really see it
    09-13-12 11:27 PM

What some may see as a disadvantage, others see as a pro: swappable battery and physical keyboard.

TBH, I don't remember consumers asking for a thinner iPhone in the iPhone 5. I think users that desire a thicker battery or slider mechanism won't mind the trade-off as long as it is within reason.
    Masahiro and fanatical like this.
    09-13-12 11:30 PM
    I think users that desire a thicker battery or slider mechanism won't mind the trade-off as long as it is within reason.
    I agree with you but we are not living in a reasonable world right now --- we are talking about big thumbs down for tiny idiotic thing like boot times.
    09-13-12 11:53 PM
    What some may see as a disadvantage, others see as a pro: swappable battery and physical keyboard.
    Agreed. The way I see it, the thinner phones are the ones with the disadvantage for me, as they don't have those features I'm looking for. A thin phone is nice and all, but I'll always have it put in a sleeve or case anyways.
    09-14-12 12:11 AM
    I agree with you but we are not living in a reasonable world right now --- we are talking about big thumbs down for tiny idiotic thing like boot times.
    no doubt we are but look at the Samsung Note, its not exactly small, for a phone it is pretty large same with the Galaxy SIII
    09-14-12 12:11 AM
    i honestly wouldn't mind a device that's slightly thicker, and heavier if the battery is bigger.

In terms of nano-sim, honestly i don't really care, nor would it matter. Eventually everyone will switch to it anyway since it has become the new standard.
    09-14-12 08:41 AM
    I'm not a fan of the Nano SIM at all
    I can't see how it really is saving much space over the microSIM because the Nano sim still needs a tray.
    I would have liked to see a standard that didn't require a tray but could go in a slot,
    I hope people are working on ways to install the nanoSIM and bypass the need for the tray, OR a picoSIM is already under development
    09-14-12 08:44 AM
    I'm not a fan of the Nano SIM at all
    I can't see how it really is saving much space over the microSIM because the Nano sim still needs a tray.
    I would have liked to see a standard that didn't require a tray but could go in a slot,
    I hope people are working on ways to install the nanoSIM and bypass the need for the tray, OR a picoSIM is already under development
    I'm sure they are. The tray works if you have your connector hidden into the side of the phone like on the iPhone (though I'm not sure where it is in iPhone 5, it might be at the top), but I could imagine the ability to either just press it into the side or easily hide it under the battery.

I'll have to look at my Lumia 800, but however they handled the microSIM is how I think other companies should address nanoSIM. Nokia's solution was the most seamless I've seen, in terms of getting it in and out of a device.
    09-15-12 04:05 PM
    I'm sure they are. The tray works if you have your connector hidden into the side of the phone like on the iPhone (though I'm not sure where it is in iPhone 5, it might be at the top), but I could imagine the ability to either just press it into the side or easily hide it under the battery.

I'll have to look at my Lumia 800, but however they handled the microSIM is how I think other companies should address nanoSIM. Nokia's solution was the most seamless I've seen, in terms of getting it in and out of a device.
    Part of the nanoSIM standard was the tray design, that was one of the fighting points about Apples design vs the other design is that Apple's design REQUIRED a tray

if you look at the NanoSIM vs the MicroSIM there isn't as much to "grab" onto for seating the SIM in the device.
    remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful someone makes it not need a tray
    09-15-12 05:14 PM
    It's not the sim card itself but more the sim holder that makes the difference. Everything is attached to the same board and so a smaller holder makes for a smaller board of extra room on the board for other features like NFC. I would rather have a larger phone. The results are already in that thinner phones break easier and do so in many ways a phone shouldn't break.
    09-15-12 05:23 PM
    Maybe we could just ELIMINATE the SIM card!!

- Charles
    09-15-12 10:24 PM
    Unless you're molding a non-replaceable battery into the reclaimed space, I don't see the advantage.
    09-15-12 10:32 PM
    Maybe we could just ELIMINATE the SIM card!!

- Charles
    Thanks but I'm not a fan of the CDMA way of working (no SIM card). I like being able to pack my bags and change mobile networks at a whim if the company I'm with screws me over, while taking my phone with me. Remove the SIM-card (making it a CDMA-style phone) and I won't be able to transfer networks as easily... I bet it'll lock my phone to a network even if I buy it unlocked!
    09-16-12 08:35 AM
    This is simple. As Apple was not the first to get creative and play with NFC, they won't support it and I bet they are praying for this technology to go obsolete, so it won't hurt their ego. On the other side, as they took the initiative to work with nano-SIM cards, they will push this hard so the market will adopt it and they can claim they changed the market all over again.
    09-16-12 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD