Just when you think you know all there is to know about your bb, this happens. Anyway, I downloaded the free trial of eoffice today (this has also happened with the included docs to go and other various apps over the course of me owning my used 8820, but never really bothered me too much.) and when it tries to access a file or the network, a message comes up with "this application has tried to access a point outside your firewall and is not allowed by your I.T. Policy. " Or something of that nature, and I can't access what I need to. The thing is, although I have tried every way posted on this website to remove the policy that came with my device, they all left the red lock next to my firewall (nothing is blocked however) and my password expired every 2 weeks or so. I could deal with that. The thing is, I really liked the eoffice doc app and wanted to use it. The only way I have had any luck of removing this mystery it policy was to use JL CMDR and use the "restore to factory" option". The only problem with that is, whenever I connect my bb to my pc to restore it or even just connect it to sync, this it policy somehow gets pushed back to my device. So today after trying emobile docs and really liking it, I decided to try and fix this problem once and for all. I uninstalled everything relating to my bb on my pc and then did a factory reset of my device via JL cmder. I dl bb desktop software 4.5 and connected my bb, did not even restore it, and the same it policy gets pushed to my device again! So I wiped my bb again, got rid of the policy, and entered ALL of my settings, contacts, docs, tasks, calendar entries, passwords into my bb by hand. A HUGE pain in the *** that took me over 2 hours to do. So, now I'm afraid to connect my bb to my pc, as I don't ever want to do that again. I'm on bis, I'm using my personal laptop and there was no mention of an it policy on my device except for the lock over the firewall and the password expiration. I would really like to be able to connect my bb to my pc again and any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
    Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ecooper11; 09-27-08 at 07:14 PM.
    09-27-08 06:38 PM
    I feel your pain. My 8330 does that from time to time with Docs2go, still haven't figured it out yet.

I do know a battery pull on mine made it work for awhile then a week later it would show the firewall/IT msg again

09-27-08 06:42 PM
    I feel your pain. My 8330 does that from time to time with Docs2go, still haven't figured it out yet.

I do know a battery pull on mine made it work for awhile then a week later it would show the firewall/IT msg again

Hopefully someone can help the both of us.
    09-27-08 07:14 PM
    I just printed your thread. I am going to bed now cuz it's 2:30 AM here. I will look at this tomorrow and try to work out how to fix it. No promises, but I will try.

What OS are you running? JL_Cmder only removes IT policies on OS 4.3 or above.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-27-08 at 07:35 PM.
    09-27-08 07:32 PM
    I'm running 4.5.0.69. Thanks pete, I look forward to hearing from you.

09-27-08 07:58 PM
    coop, If possible try installing your OS, DM and JL_CMDER on
    another PC and do the resettofactory from there.

I remember that that helped another person get past an issue
    just like yours.

I am going to look around and see if I can find how she
    eventually got the issue rectified on her primary machine. May
    take a while however.

And I just noticed: 1034 posts. Congrats to CB's newest MASTER
    Good job kiddo
    09-27-08 09:00 PM
    Good job kiddo
    [/B]
    WTGGGGGGGGG coop!!!
    09-27-08 09:21 PM
    When you used to eoffice or whatever did it change the settings on the DM from BIS to BES??
    Also, check out the folders associated with RIM.
    09-27-08 09:37 PM
    coop, If possible try installing your OS, DM and JL_CMDER on
    another PC and do the resettofactory from there.

I remember that that helped another person get past an issue
    just like yours.

I am going to look around and see if I can find how she
    eventually got the issue rectified on her primary machine. May
    take a while however.

Good job kiddo
    Unfortuntly, I have no other computers to try this on. Please let me know if you find anything. And Thanks AG!
    Last edited by ecooper11; 09-27-08 at 11:08 PM.
    09-27-08 11:06 PM
    When you used to eoffice or whatever did it change the settings on the DM from BIS to BES??
    Also, check out the folders associated with RIM.
    It dosen't look like anything has changed. I"ll post back here if I find anything. What exactly should I be looking for in the RIM folders? Thanks!
    Last edited by ecooper11; 09-27-08 at 11:18 PM.
    09-27-08 11:07 PM
    WTGGGGGGGGG coop!!!
    Thanks Lex!
    09-27-08 11:08 PM
    coop, search your PC for a file called policy.bin, if you find it in the
    RIM folder delete it.

Then click start > run > and type REGEDIT > from there search for
    policy.bin again and delete any entries in any RIM "folder".

Restart PC. When it is up open DM > click Backup/Restore >
    Advanced > in the pane on the right scroll to and highlight
    POLICY and select clear.

You may have to do the resettofactory again after all of this
    but that is what worked for the user I mentioned.
    09-27-08 11:38 PM
    coop, search your PC for a file called policy.bin, if you find it in the
    RIM folder delete it.

Then click start > run > and type REGEDIT > from there search for
    policy.bin again and delete any entries in any RIM "folder".

Restart PC. When it is up open DM > click Backup/Restore >
    Advanced > in the pane on the right scroll to and highlight
    POLICY and select clear.

You may have to do the resettofactory again after all of this
    but that is what worked for the user I mentioned.
    Thanks ag. I'll search for the policy.bin files and post back what I find.
    09-27-08 11:46 PM
    OK, searched my pc, found the file and deleted it, but when I searched the registry, nothing was found. Is that normal? Well, I'm going to bed now and I'll check back here first thing tomorrow. Thanks again ag!
    09-28-08 12:15 AM
    It won't always be in the registry but I did not want to leave
    anything out. I'll check this in the morning also just to see
    how you make/made out.

Good Night and Good Luck.
    09-28-08 01:06 AM
    AG has got it right. The problem is almost certainly the policy.bin file. Remove this and your problem should go away.

Removing the reference to it in the registry will simply stop Desktop Manager being able to find this file if it were ever to be put back.

When I designed CrackIT, I based it upon naviwilliams post http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/. Unfortunately the policy.bin file that he (and I) used had a remaining lock on the Firewall and this was why I removed CrackIT from the forums.

The advantage of CrackIT was that it would have worked on any version of the OS.

The other way to remove an IT Policy is via JL_Cmder but, as I said earlier this only works on OS 4.3 or above. cjarbone's post
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/new-...-policy-34665/ explains the process very well.

I shamelessly copied both posts (with the authors' permission) and have come up with this condensed version of how to remove an IT Policy. It should help here.

1. If you are running OS 4.3 or better
      All you need is JL_Cmder and to Sync your phone and do a Backup before starting. Once this is done, shut down Desktop Manager and run up JL_Cmder. From the main screen select menu item 5 (resettofactory). Follow exactly the instructions given by JL_Cmder and then wait until the phone has re-booted. Now do a Restore and you should now see that the Firewall (OPtions, Security Options, Firewall) now has no little red lock against it.
    2. If you are running OS 4.2
      Sync your phone and do a Backup.
      Install and OS version greater than 4.2 (any version will do)
      Run JL_Cmder and select menu option 5
      Follow the instructions exactly.
      When the phone has rebooted check OPtions, Security Options, Firewall now has no little red lock against it.
      Re-install your old OS
      Do a Restore.
    3. You have installed CrackIT
      In the Registry (Start, Run, Regedit) and delete HKCU.SOftware.Research In Motion.Blackberry.Policy Manager.Path
      Now delete the file C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Policy Manager\policy.bin
      Proceed as in 1. or 2.depending on which OS is installed.
    I know that this proceedure is long and tedious but it does work reliably.

There is one other place that you may need to look in the registry and naviwilliams ponts the way HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager.

Regardless of what JL_Cmder does, if there is a policy.bin file on the PC and Desktop Manager can find it via a registry entry then this will take precedence because even though JL_Cmder has removed the IT Policy, Desktop Manager will re-aapply the one from policy.bin as it re-installs the OS - after JL_Cmder has removed it.

The crux of this post is:
    1. delete policy.bin. The file will be at the location designated by the registry entry.
    2. clear registry entries HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager and HKCU.SOftware.Research In Motion.Blackberry.Policy Manager.Path if they exist.
    3. use JL_Cmder (again) to resettofactory one more time to clear the existing IT Policy.

Once the OS has reloaded, the problem should be solved.

09-28-08 03:29 AM
    You guys are awesome, I'm going to try this in a few hours when the rest of the house wakes up.

If only there was a crackMODEM app

09-28-08 04:22 AM
    You guys are awesome, I'm going to try this in a few hours when the rest of the house wakes up.

If only there was a crackMODEM app

Waddya mean CrackModem? What would it do? If it's worthwhile, maybe, it can be done.
    09-28-08 04:32 AM
    Waddya mean CrackModem? What would it do? If it's worthwhile, maybe, it can be done.
    It would answer the question. How do I use my 81XX/83XX as a modem

And set everything up.

09-28-08 04:47 AM
    should the vendor file be removed as well? im assuming yes.
    09-28-08 07:07 AM
    Thank you all so much !!! It worked perfectly. I should have came here in the first place.
    09-28-08 07:42 AM
    I feel your pain, bro.
    09-28-08 07:56 AM
    what if you have an 8330 which comes with 4.3os and i used the jl cmdr to remove the it policy. now i dont have the little red lock next to my fire wall but, i still cant get service books after i do HRT?
    09-28-08 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD