I am not sure if this has been posted before, but here it is:

The Mysterious LTE Chip RIM Is Betting Its Future On - Forbes

The fate of Research In Motion appears to hang on the company�s ability to successfully launch its next-generation BlackBerrys based on the �BlackBerry 10″ operating system. That�s why so much is being made of RIM�s Thursday news that it will push the release of BlackBerry 10 to late 2012. The strangest part of the announcement: RIM says the delay is due to a lack of LTE-capable chipsets. As I�ve reported previously, those chipsets are in the works. The first chip to truly integrate an LTE modem, made by wireless communications giant Qualcomm, is already in the hands of gadget makers and will be publicly available in early 2012. In fact, I�ve been doing briefings on tablets that will be unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January 2012, and many of those devices run on that Qualcomm chip, which is called the MSM 8960. This points up a few questions. Why doesn�t RIM use the 8960 for its BlackBerry 10 phones? And if RIM is using the 8960, which is just weeks away from availability, why won�t BlackBerry 10 devices be released before late 2012?

RIM hasn�t specified what chips it will incorporate in its BlackBerry 10 phones. But it has described the chip it plans to use � in terms that seem to match the 8960�s profile. During RIM�s Dec. 15 earnings call, co-Chief Executive Mike Lazaridis said the company had been searching for a �highly-integrated, dual-core LTE platform� for its BlackBerry 10 devices. The processor that RIM ultimately selected �offers industry-leading power and efficiency� while enabling RIM to �deliver the industrial design [it believes] is critical to success� in the high-end smartphone market, said Lazaridis. The catch? The chip won�t be available until mid-2012, according to Lazaridis.

The points Lazaridis mentioned seem to match the 8960, which is part of Qualcomm�s Snapdragon line of mobile processors. That chip will have an integrated LTE modem and is a dual-core processor. The 8960 is also supposed to deliver greater power efficiency and enable thinner phone designs because it eliminates the need for an external modem. Some analysts, such as Barclays Capital�s Jeff Kvaal, have already assumed Lazaridis was talking about the 8960.

It�s certainly possible RIM is waiting for a different Qualcomm chip. Qualcomm President Steve Mollenkopf told me in November that the 8960 will be the first chip in a new portfolio of products for Qualcomm. The company will leverage the 8960′s architecture and �rapidly tier up and down� to offer chips with similar functionality at a range of prices, explained Mollenkopf. Those follow-on chips will take some time to come to market, which could explain the mid-2012 timeframe Lazaridis specified.

It�s also possible that RIM is using a chipset from another supplier. Qualcomm doesn�t have a lock on the

LTE chip market, though it is generally recognized as the company that has made the most progress in crafting multimode chips that can easily shift between LTE and 3G connectivity. RIM also does use Qualcomm chips already. There is a Snapdragon processor in the BlackBerry Bold 9900, for instance.

Beyond the mystery of RIM�s LTE chipset is the question of whether RIM should be postponing BlackBerry 10 for LTE in the first place. Analysts seemed skeptical of the decision. Bank of Montreal Capital Market�s Tim Long was among the bears. In a Dec. 16 note to investors, Long declared the reasoning �makes no sense.� While highly developed telecom markets like the U.S. are focused on 4G/LTE phones, RIM now derives most of its device sales � Long estimates 80% � from outside the U.S. In those markets, �there is no 4G push,� Long pointed out.

Other analysts were less focused on the technology than the delay itself, which looks to be several months since BlackBerry 10 phones were previously expected in the first quarter of 2012. In a note, Nomura Securities� Stuart Jeffrey warned, �We see a high risk that this is too late to turn around RIM�s position and believe the risk of further delays is meaningful.�
    12-17-11 10:57 AM
    I think RIM is bluffing, they can not get QNX to function correctly in a smartphone package and that is the reason for the delay. RIM please can the failed QNX and run Android or Windows before you lose the entire North American market.
    purijagmohan and AceStreaming like this.
    12-17-11 11:13 AM
    From what I've read, in Europe there is one standard for cellular speeds, people buy their phone and go with who ever they feel is the best provider for them. This would help rim and others here in the states if the same were done here. I'm not sure but doesn't Canada have just one speed too? rim has to make a phone for a specific carrier which sucks. then people complain about the many different model numbers but it not rims fault.
    12-17-11 11:19 AM
    I think RIM is bluffing, they can not get QNX to function correctly in a smartphone package and that is the reason for the delay. RIM please can the failed QNX and run Android or Windows before you lose the entire North American market.
    Why would RIM want to go the Android or WP7 route???? Seriously. At that point why would we care to be a RIM fan? I like the legacy BBOS and the QNX OS as well. I do not find anything appealing in regards to the Android (been there done that) and WP7 is a joke.

Sounds to me like you are ready to jump ship and nothing wrong w/that at all. But to say that they should jump ship is a totally different idea.
    12-17-11 11:27 AM
    If RIM is truly just waiting for this chip, I hope it does not get delayed because that will look even worse for RIM than it does right now.
    12-17-11 11:29 AM
    Why would RIM want to go the Android or WP7 route???? Seriously. At that point why would we care to be a RIM fan? I like the legacy BBOS and the QNX OS as well. I do not find anything appealing in regards to the Android (been there done that) and WP7 is a joke.

Sounds to me like you are ready to jump ship and nothing wrong w/that at all. But to say that they should jump ship is a totally different idea.
    At what point are we going to accept that without developer support QNX will never succeed? The North American market wants apps, Android and Windows are rising while BB keeps losing market share. I don't want to jump ship which is why I want BB to have a solid eco system and competitive phone. The QNX platform has stirred no interest from developers, how long will RIM continue to push this sinking ship? They don't have time to experiment.
    12-17-11 11:32 AM
    RIM is just starting to go through what Google Android is still struggling with, not unlike the ice cream sandwich situation. Creating an OS which works and looks the same regardless of being on a phone or a Tablet. Guess what, QNX will work and look the same on bb phones and on playbook. Even now ice cream sandwich is rolling out super slow and androidians are complaining
    12-17-11 11:33 AM
    RIM is just starting to go through what Google Android is still struggling with, not unlike the ice cream sandwich situation. Creating an OS which works and looks the same regardless of being on a phone or a Tablet. Guess what, QNX will work and look the same on bb phones and on playbook. Even now ice cream sandwich is rolling out super slow and androidians are complaining
    Android is a different story. Until manufacturer skins are eliminated, Android will never look the same across the board. Until everyone uses Vanilla. RIM won't have this "problem" once BB10 is out.
    12-17-11 11:41 AM
    Android is a different story. Until manufacturer skins are eliminated, Android will never look the same across the board. Until everyone uses Vanilla. RIM won't have this "problem" once BB10 is out.
    Good point, I often heard of complaints about bloatware being added by provi
    ders.
    12-17-11 11:44 AM

He thinks the only salvation for the company is to throw away everything they have done and become an HTC apparently since HTC's book value is doing sooo well
    12-17-11 12:10 PM
    He thinks the only salvation for the company is to throw away everything they have done and become an HTC apparently since HTC's book value is doing sooo well
    So your solution is to continue to pump resources into a failed QNX operating system while at the same time losing market share and falling further behind the competition. How are RIM stocks doing?
    12-17-11 12:13 PM
    So your solution is to continue to pump resources into a failed QNX operating system while at the same time losing market share and falling further behind the competition. How are RIM stocks doing?
    I think the solution is to continue to develop the successful qnx operating system and get the thing out the door.
    12-17-11 12:18 PM
    I think the solution is to continue to develop the successful qnx operating system and get the thing out the door.
    What will QNX provide the smartphone consumer that is leaving BB for android, apple, and windows at an alarming rate due to lack of apps? QNX has yet to have an update of basic features and the app selection is a joke. I love BB but its time to speak the truth if BB is to be successful and turn things around.
    12-17-11 12:22 PM
    I question if RIM is looking at OMAP 5 Chips, as the OMAP is used in the PlayBook,

The OMAP 5 Series would be scalable moving into later 2012/2013, and TI has been consistent with upgrade paths to henge a short term future on.
    mithrazor likes this.
    12-17-11 12:31 PM
    What will QNX provide the smartphone consumer that is leaving BB for android, apple, and windows at an alarming rate due to lack of apps? QNX has yet to have an update of basic features and the app selection is a joke. I love BB but its time to speak the truth if BB is to be successful and turn things around.

For the major update you want we need BlackBerry Mobile fusion to launch, and the updates to BES/BIS for multi device support per user account. then we get email/contact/calendar and more from the PlayBook

The PlayBook App world has had 2 months to build using actual tools, AIR was a joke, and RIM was foolish to think otherwise.

QNX has a good following in the Automotive sector, and even the person who wrote dingle berry said QNX > Android.
    it has a lot to offer, but RIM has to actually commit to it, and by commiting to it, that means bringing their entire line into QNX and trying, if they fail they can become a shell hardware company like you seem to want from them
    sleepngbear likes this.
    12-17-11 12:36 PM
    What makes QNX successful?

War Is All We Know
    12-17-11 12:48 PM
    QNX has a good following in the Automotive sector, and even the person who wrote dingle berry said QNX > Android.
    it has a lot to offer, but RIM has to actually commit to it, and by commiting to it, that means bringing their entire line into QNX and trying, if they fail they can become a shell hardware company like you seem to want from them
    well, the guys who write the auto systems are writing their own GUIs from scratch (because again QNX was not a complete OS stack like Android and WebOS were when Google and HP bought them).

RIM is developing their GUI framework, but the version in the beta SDK is extremely rudimentary compared to Android. Of course, they have a year to fix that. Hopefully they do.
    12-17-11 12:56 PM
    well, the guys who write the auto systems are writing their own GUIs from scratch (because again QNX was not a complete OS stack like Android and WebOS were when Google and HP bought them).

RIM is developing their GUI framework, but the version in the beta SDK is extremely rudimentary compared to Android. Of course, they have a year to fix that. Hopefully they do.
    And they should be given the time to do so.
    Abandoning the platform without even giving it a chance would be a failure,
    12-17-11 12:57 PM
    And they should be given the time to do so.
    Abandoning the platform without even giving it a chance would be a failure,
    Yeah, I would agree that if RIM becomes yet another Android manufacturer, that is a war they cannot win against HTC and Samsung. That's a race to the bottom. We already saw that with Motorola. That's not the answer.
    12-17-11 01:00 PM
    What makes QNX successful?

http://forums.crackberry.com/newrepl...eply&p=6946632
    War Is All We Know

QNX has been successful for many years in the Auto Sector,
    QNX runs the Cisco's highest capacity routers

just 2 of the very successful places for QNX

NOW BB10, The GUI ontop of QNX, that remains to be seen if it can be successful, Cascades is beautiful,
    12-17-11 01:03 PM
    QNX has been successful for many years in the Auto Sector,
    QNX runs the Cisco's highest capacity routers

just 2 of the very successful places for QNX

NOW BB10, The GUI ontop of QNX, that remains to be seen if it can be successful, Cascades is beautiful,
    I guess just not successful for RIM. And waiting a year to to put it on a new phone certainly doesn't help.

War Is All We Know
    12-17-11 01:05 PM
    Good point, I often heard of complaints about bloatware being added by provi
    ders.
    Yup. The carriers actually throw all that crap on there. Only if you root your device are you able to remove it. Even the new VZW Galaxy Nexus (which runs Vanilla ICS) has two VZW apps which are preloaded (which Nexus devices usually don't have) and can be stopped from running, but not removed unless you root as well (from what I have heard).

iOS is the only software that is released without any carrier crap on it. On BBs you can hide the icons. I'm not too sure if WP7 has bloatware as well, but I think I have read before that they have some carrier apps added. I may be wrong though as I am not really interested in that platform and haven't done too much research on it.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-17-11 at 01:13 PM.
    12-17-11 01:08 PM
    Holy ****... QNX IS A GREAT MOBILE PLATFORM! Stop acting like it sucks on your playbook. If you can't find a use for it then you didn't need it in the first place. Furthermore my BBOS 7.1 9930 is great. Its intuitive and easy to get around on (and not slow anymore). As for apps then yes the phones lack, but the playbook is slowly becoming more impressive as more people realize its potential.

deRusett is right, they need to try. HP failed miserably and as it was stated, that was a complete os. RIM can only go up from here. If they assimilate then most likely they would tank further as a business, because they couldn't compete strictly on a hardware level. Not because they aren't smart enough to have better hardware but just the shear volume of hardware companies like samsung and htc push out on a daily basis is huge. I hope something in this made any sort of sense, between the Flyers right now and this conversation, I'm pretty goddamn annoyed.
    sf49ers likes this.
    12-17-11 01:14 PM
    Yeah, I would agree that if RIM becomes yet another Android manufacturer, that is a war they cannot win against HTC and Samsung. That's a race to the bottom. We already saw that with Motorola. That's not the answer.
    Exactly,
    Samsung has their processor manufacturing and their screen manufacturing AND they don't have to report quarterly statements.
    And HTC has seen similar declines as RIM in the last 52 Weeks. so being Android/Windows isn't a saving grace.

RIM needs to be a product worth developing for, by building better tools, and from what I hear their tools are major improvements over their last generation of tools
    12-17-11 01:17 PM
    I guess just not successful for RIM. And waiting a year to to put it on a new phone certainly doesn't help.

War Is All We Know

Microsoft saw Windows Mobile 6 failing in 2008, and saw 2009 as a death year, yet it wasn't till the end of 2010 that they got Windows 7 out, and look at it,

Microsoft has less backwards compatibility to worry about, doesn't build their own hardware, and is a larger company with more cash flow, RIM COULD have planned better, and launched differently, but they still are within a time frame that is acceptable since they are managing 2 OS tree's
    louzer and jordandrews90 like this.
    12-17-11 01:21 PM
130 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD