I am just at a loss of words for my Z10 right now. I feel it's losing touch with what Blackberry used to be. After this sn't run angry but like I give a s*;t it runs calendar better, clock better and emails are better. I know I sound like one of those psycho rant maniacs right now but I think I have a legot case to be mad.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails My Z10 completely screwed me over!!!-img_00000328.png  
    Last edited by jason9900; 10-26-14 at 02:27 AM.
    04-25-13 07:43 PM
    That sucks OP. My advice to you, no matter what phone you use, is always set a backup alarm for anything critically important. I'm not making an excuse for the Z10. But I am saying electronics fail and a backup plan is wise.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 07:47 PM
    Yes I was thinking that but you can't really blame me can you? in my 3 years of using the bold 9780 then9900 having it never mess up, was it so wrong for me to think the Z10 would do the same? All well i guess ill learn for the future

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 07:48 PM
    Damn dude that's crazy! Would be pissed of too if I were in your shoes. No sense of overreacting here
    04-25-13 07:50 PM
    Sorry about your situation, but for something as important as a final exam, wouldn't you have at least two alarm clocks. Even alarm clocks suffer from power outages or dead batteries. To trust just a phone for something this important is asking for trouble.
    04-25-13 07:54 PM
    Through the years, I have learnt ( by mistakes like this) that all electronics are not 100% foolproof. If something like what happen to OP is that important, I set at least 2 alarms ( on 2 different devices at that ) Lesson learnt for OP , hope this didn't screw your future.
    04-25-13 08:00 PM
    It can happen on every device, sometimes my Nexus 4 screws up and doesn't go off. I'm don't think your over reacting but I don't think you should stop using the Z10 just because of that.
    04-25-13 08:08 PM
    Sorry about your situation, I'd talk to the Prof...he/she may cut you a break.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 08:17 PM
    That sucks. I would just go in and tell them your alarm didn't go off. They would understand your case.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 08:19 PM
    I'm also a Business major, but BMA. I have used my Z10 as an alarm for every day since I got it. I also have an alarm clock next to my bed as well. Always better to over-prepare for things like this. Not excusing it, but tech fails. Doesn't matter what it is. My HP laptop froze and had to be completely reset. Lost tons of data. I got the laptop in August 2012, happened March 2013. I reset it and am using that very laptop this moment. I didn't backup my computer, I lost data. It happens. Just have to learn and move on.

It is worth talking to your professor and at least exploring if there's any options for retaking or alternatives like extra credit.

Best of luck!
    04-25-13 08:23 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encing-770835/

I feel for you man, i really do. It's a weird issue, and i havent had it happen since the OS update a little while back. With important things like exams its always a good idea to set multiple alarms.

I know its not what you want to hear, but at the end of the day over reliance on technology inevitably causes such results. It's not the norm, and it's not statistically frequent but murphy's law still applies so some poor schmuck. Unfortunately you were the schmuck today.

Hope you recover your gpa and dont miss out on any job opportunities.
    JR A and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    04-25-13 08:36 PM
    I have had this happened to me too when my Torch failed to ring in the morning to wake me up for work.
    Thankfully I just ended coming in for work a little late. I doubt switching to legacy device will help you in any way nor any other device for the matter. What you need is redundancy whenever you deal with critical life obligations, such as, showing up at the airport for expensive red-eye flights, showing up for promising job interviews, showing up for final college exams (your case), showing up for that someone truly special and so on. I feel sorry for your misfortune and I would be very upset too but I suppose you learn from the experience.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-25-13 08:42 PM
    I feel your pain... damn

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 08:46 PM
    Really sucks man. I'm taking my microeconomics final tomorrow morning at 9. My z10 better not screw up but it hasn't so far. What happened to you sucks major.. I would definitely freak out. It sounds like such a fluke though. As poster above said, Murphy's Law really played you. It's a bad situation but I think you should at least try speaking with your professor. You can't not try.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 08:46 PM
    Why can't you just give your university a BS excuse? your car didn't start or you witnessed an accident.

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    04-25-13 08:57 PM
    I am a university student and currently we are in finals season. I am studying business and am majoring in finance pursuing a job in investment banking. Now as some of you may know gpa is extremely important when it comes to banking so I was taking my exams very seriously. After a late night of studying I set my alarm for 6am as it was an 8am exam. I turned my alarm on using the slide down shortcut button on the home screen and went to bed. I woke up the next morning only to find out its 10am and to find over 10 missed calls on my Z10, I slept through my exam.

But how could it be I thought?? I set my alarm didn't I? So I pulled down the menu and to see the alarm button blue saying it was on, so why didn't it go off? I go into the clock app only for it to look like this
    My Z10 completely screwed me over!!!-img_00000328.png

The clock app was not working. So I reset my Z10 and as soon as it rebooted the alarm turned on, saying I set it for 10:05 (the time the device turned on)
    Seriously wtf!!!!!!! I bought the Z10 on February 5th on the Canadian release day and have been loving the device and been very satisfied with its multimedia capabilities. But it couldn't run a fu#;king clock app? My 9900 did this perfectly, and I am switching back to legacy. Seriously I am beyond pissed off with my Z10, call me over reacting but it dropped my GPA from a 3.7 to a 3.3 since I missed my economics final (fail the final, fail the course) will most likely miss out on internship opportunities this summer, and will have to spend another $1,200 to retake the course.

And no I cannot talk to my university telling them my alarm didn't go off, that's like saying I was too lazy to wake up, doesn't fly.

I am just at a loss of words for my Z10 right now. I feel it's losing touch with what Blackberry used to be. After this CB10 post I'm most likely selling it and going back to my 9900. Yes it doesn't run angry but like I give a s*;t it runs calendar better, clock better and emails are better. I know I sound like one of those psycho rant maniacs right now but I think I have a legot case to be mad.

Posted via CB10
    I feel your pain, I do...but...and I mean this in the best way possible, but if something is that important, I set a backup alarm using a clock radio. Cell phones can misbehave for no reason. I've had them all, on all platforms. I had my Curve pooch on an alarm due to a battery malfunction and would have slept through my pre operative registration for a major surgery...except I also set my clock radio for 10 minutes after the time I set the BB for.

It's a painful lesson to learn, but always, ALWAYS, prepare for the worst case scenario.
    04-25-13 09:02 PM
    Ohhh sounds like when apple had that issue with DST!

My 9900 failed on me once and luckily I had a second alarm.

I had 3 alarms when I was doing my CFA exams! A Timex travel alarm, my Dell Axim PDA and a mechanical alarm clock in case we got attacked with an EMP pulse!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 09:04 PM
    It's not about the phone man. I think the lesson you've learned here hopefully, is that playing the blame game won't work in the real world. Suck it up and better prepare yourself for the real working world. I sincerely do wish you the the best in your future. Work hard, be attentive to your responsibilities and you will succeed.
    04-25-13 09:05 PM
    Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately technology is not 100%. You probably don't want to hear it but have a backup next time, call from Mom or Dad always works.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 09:08 PM
    Man, that really sucks.

I would totally have a heart attack if that ever happened. Luckily it hasn't happened so far and since I'm graduating and already finished all my exams just yesterday, I guess it never will.

BUT
    Whenever I have something important in the early morning like an exam, I have 3 alarm clocks.
    1) My clock radio
    2) A battery powered analog clock
    3) My cellphone

Yes, it sounds like a bit overkill, but none of the above, individually, is fail safe.
    1) The fact that there can be a power outage means relying on a clock radio is a bad idea.
    2) The chance of the battery in the alarm clock dying on the night of my exam might be slim, but not nill.
    3) As you just experienced, technology is not very reliable in general.
    4) I've slept through a radio alarm on 90% volume before. So yes, having two other alarm clocks definitely helps.

Lets just hope the university lets you do your exam and you can still pass.

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately technology is not 100%. You probably don't want to hear it but have a backup next time, call from Mom or Dad always works.

Posted via CB10
    Ha ha, my mom used to call home to talk to my grandma sometimes. Times I slept in, I would pick up and she'd be like, WHY ARE YOU STILL HOME? And I'll be like "SHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TTTTTTTTTTTT". Luckily these are just on normal school days.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    04-25-13 09:09 PM
    That sucks. Mine wakes me up very gently every weekday. If I have a flight to catch or an important meeting, I always set a backup alarm. Helps me sleep better with one less thing for worry about.

Still sucks for you though.

Anybody else experienced alarm clock failure with the Z? It's worked perfectly for me so far, and I actually enjoy the alarm tone. It's the best alarm clock I've ever had in that regard.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 09:18 PM
    That phucking suuckks. You have every right to be mad. And people can't even call you a troll because you have a screen shot. Now you have me nervous..

Oh, and for those of you that don't know, the Z10's alarm is like the PlayBook's, where it doesn't work if the phone is off! I liked that my 9900 would turn on for the alarm, it was a nice feature. Add that to the list of stuff I want back.

And OP, I'm not going to tell you to have a backup like other people are telling you. Your phone alarm is supposed to work and you shouldn't have to worry that something as basic as AN ALARM CLOCK will fail.
    04-25-13 09:22 PM
    It's not about the phone man. I think the lesson you've learned here hopefully, is that playing the blame game won't work in the real world. Suck it up and better prepare yourself for the real working world. I sincerely do wish you the the best in your future. Work hard, be attentive to your responsibilities and you will succeed.
    Well said

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    lcjr and sklotz2000 like this.
    04-25-13 09:27 PM
    I know where you're coming from. I've been BlackBerry for many, many years. BlackBerry alarm has never failed me. I had my Z10 for 3 days and went through the same thing.
    I was pissed but realized it was bound to happen some day. Needless to say, my BlackBerry alarm is STILL the most reliable alarm clock I've ever owned (and I'm also at the point in my life where I tend to always wake up before the alarm goes off).
    All tech will fail at some point, just like we will. No sense blaming a piece of hardware tho, just talk to your prof like others have mentioned and good luck.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 09:37 PM
    Wow. I can understand how bad this is. Any chance you could do a late withdrawl? Most schools offer them.

But as a side note, I've never had a problem with my phone alarm, but I take precautions.

1. Phone alarm.
    2. Alarm clock alarm.
    3. I dont put it in bedside mode that night, but on the loudest ringer setting and I have a family member text me to make sure I'm up. If I'm not, they call me.

I know this doesn't help you, but just never trust anything in your life. Sad, but thats the way to live.

Murphy's Law:

If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
    04-25-13 09:57 PM
183 123 ...