... Such as? (Just curious )
    Friends from here. And there are all my outside family and friends who are not on CB, we got BBM when it went cross platform.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    BoldAlways likes this.
    02-06-14 04:28 AM
    That�s a very good idea.
    02-06-14 04:35 AM
    Right.

This is what I ultimately got out of the last charge I showed. Down to 1%.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/u6uhuhy6.jpg

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    I'd imagine you're a power user (no pun intended) so that's a good amount of use on one charge.

Z10
    02-06-14 05:27 AM
    Don't want to derail this thread but..

Can all the CB members that keep complaining about battery life on their z10s please turn off the BB Link in Settings and switch off the Diagnostics to BlackBerry in Security and Privacy. These are services that average users don't use all the time but contribute to the battery draining faster. There's like 2 camps on CB right now, those that swear the battery life is sufficient to last the whole day (12-15 hours under moderate use) and those that say the battery life sucks. I'm having a hard time figuring out how it could be both with all things virtually the same. It would be great if some of these members can report back if these battery draining services have been disabled on their z10 and the battery life still sucks or they have disabled these services and they've now noticed a significant improvement.
    Good suggestions, thanks.

As for the differing points of view, I presume what some users consider moderate use others consider light use and still others see as heavy use.

Moderate is in the eye of the beholder.

Z10
    02-06-14 06:18 AM
    How is over 24 hours and over 18 hours with 20% battery left and which ultimately went to 21 hours at 1% left, less than 12 hours?
    I'm only thinking of how long it lasts with fairly regular use while I'm awake.

I'm not counting Standby Time because I think most phones would last 24 hours if you just left it sitting on a desk, but that's not "use" in my mind.

The big problem with discussing battery life is that most all of our terms are highly subjective. Moderate, heavy, light and so on are all very much dependent on who is saying it.

Z10
    shupor likes this.
    02-06-14 06:31 AM
    I think battery wise, BlackBerry wins out over the iPhone. I get about 30 hours of moderate use and I'm pulling 3 email accounts, linked in, text and BBM through hub. That is impressive in my books. The iPhone can't give you this level of functionality without major battery drain. In the end, I think it comes down to antenna and reception. BlackBerry has perfected what they can do under less than optimal wireless environments. This has always been a weakness of the iPhone. I don't think we are covering new ground.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 06:45 AM
    He is absolutely right, i live in New Orleans and I get a good battery life out of my Z10 STL100-3 (AT&T), but as soon as I travel to Midland TX or any other remote area where the signal is weaker I barely get the50% of what I usually get in New Orleans.
    Bingo. Battery life discussions are enormously dependent on use case and reception. I used to regularly get the 1day + 6h with about 25% battery left such as shown above on my iPhone. But at my new job I am in an old building where I get EDGE or no service at my desk and my battery life is now down to about 16 hours between charges.
    02-06-14 07:49 AM
    I would suggest that your wife review her settings.

This is not abnormal for my use.
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/05/mu9u4uny.jpg

That was last full charge. This is current full charge.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/05/ejyhudy3.jpg

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    Something is definitely wrong with the calibration of your iPhone.

Pix 1:
    Battery Percentage is 1% after 9 hours of use, yet it will last an additional 1 Day and 6 hours!!!

Pix 2:
    Battery Percentage is 20% after 6 hours of use, yet it will only last 18 hours, 33 minutes.

The maths is more than fuzzy. So I can presume it is the iPhone calibration that is given false values.
    shupor likes this.
    02-06-14 08:06 AM
    Your wife needs to check her settings. There is either something wrong with her device or something going on with her apps/notification refreshes.

I have never heard of anyones iPhone 5 only lasting 3 hours unless they are streaming music on the highest quality while watching videos and doing a ton of browsing in between, all while having a bad mobile connection.

I have a 5S and can get up to 30 hours with moderate use, 20 (9 hours of actually use, 11 standby) with heavy use. The 5 should be able to get close to that or sometime better as Q showed above.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psrjhofewe.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psf4apo9fp.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psbzgxgmpr.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pswasp1eos.png
    I see that your iPhone displays the same fuzzy logic like qbn's.

Pix 1:
    Battery is at 10% AFTER 9 hours, yet the 10% would last 14 hours 12 minutes.

Pix 2:
    Battery is at 48% AFTER 5 hours, yet the 48% would last 14 hours 3 minutes. Note that this is even lower than the Pix 1 will last at 10%

Pix 3:
    Battery is at 28% And CHARGING after almost 9 hours of use, but will only last 16 hours more. And this is while plugged in!

Pix 4:
    Battery is at 27% AFTER 8 hours use, yet will last 11 hours more.

This figures are not correlated, and therefore it is sane to assume that the iPhone battery calibration logic is fuzzy.
    shupor likes this.
    02-06-14 08:17 AM
    Good suggestions, thanks.

As for the differing points of view, I presume what some users consider moderate use others consider light use and still others see as heavy use.

Moderate is in the eye of the beholder.

Z10
    I think my point here was that are these battery services disabled by the people complaining? and next, if they weren't disable .. can they disable the services and report back if there was a significant difference to their battery life. Whether they are a light, moderate or heavy user.. I expect it to make a difference.. whether it is acceptable or not, it would be great to get some feedback here.
    02-06-14 08:55 AM
    My z10 lasts from 7 to about 5 and it's at about 40%, my post was to let you guys know that the IPhone 5 has battery issues as well.

Z10,Playbook
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-06-14 09:22 AM

Pix 1:
    Battery is at 10% AFTER 9 hours, yet the 10% would last 14 hours 12 minutes.

Pix 2:
    Battery is at 48% AFTER 5 hours, yet the 48% would last 14 hours 3 minutes. Note that this is even lower than the Pix 1 will last at 10%

Pix 3:
    Battery is at 28% And CHARGING after almost 9 hours of use, but will only last 16 hours more. And this is while plugged in!

Pix 4:
    Battery is at 27% AFTER 8 hours use, yet will last 11 hours more.

This figures are not correlated, and therefore it is sane to assume that the iPhone battery calibration logic is fuzzy.
    That is not what the numbers mean at all. It does not mean it will last another day. Standby time means how long the phone itself has been in standby, not how much longer I have on a charge...

Usage- How long I used the phone
    Standby- How long the phone was in standby.

You are reading the stats completely wrong.

You are claiming our iPhones aren't calibrated right, when you are simply reading the statistics wrong. EVERY iPhone is like this. You want to make this claim to Apple? I am sure they will tell you you need to make sure you are reading the numbers correctly as well.
    pantlesspenguin and mikeo007 like this.
    02-06-14 09:39 AM
    I agree. The information i got from the iPhone site is even more confusing

My Z10 battery vs wife's iPhone 5-iphone.png

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

The standby time is how long the phone has remained on since last 'full charge'

According to the definition on the iPhone site and the screenshots posted, the last time their phones got a full charge was almost 2 days ago but they only got 9 - 10 hours of actual usage in over 24 hours. One would normally assume that standby time would be how long the phone can stay on but asleep before the battery is fully expended but this is not the case as indicated by the iPhone site.

Or perhaps last full charge really does mean last 'full charge' and not the typical overnight juice up that the average smartphone user does when they go to sleep.

If the latter is the case then the battery not reaching 100% while being charged overnight would not be factored into the Standby time calculation.
    02-06-14 10:00 AM
    Standby- How long the phone was in standby.
    actually standy is how long the phone has been powered on since its last full charge including the amount of time the phone has been asleep and not just how long the phone has been in standy .

The standby stats are definitely skewed; the actual usage - not so much
    02-06-14 10:06 AM
    My z10 lasts all day, her IPhone last 3 hrs then needs charging, looking at forums it's a problem on Iso 7.
    Have her also do the home screen double tap and see how many apps are running. I find this is helpful to beefing up speed and improving battery life. I'm bad about forgetting to do it, but my last gen iPod touch gets soooo sluggish so quickly that it's incentive to look in from time to time.

Hope this helps her
    02-06-14 10:19 AM
    actually standy is how long the phone has been powered on since its last full charge including the amount of time the phone has been asleep and not just how long the phone has been in standy .

The standby stats are definitely skewed; the actual usage - not so much
    Alright, that makes sense.

It still proves I am getting up to 9 hours of actual use time on a 1570mAh battery with 20+ apps receiving notifications, streaming music and every thing else (heavy use). I would call that pretty exceptional battery life all things considered. With the amount of mobile data I use (which is usually connected to LTE), to me, this is incredible. None of my other devices come close to matching that (Z10 and Galaxy Nexus).

I also fully charge my iPhone every night. I wake up, it's at 100% every morning. So my numbers wont be off since the device receives a full charge.
    02-06-14 10:25 AM
    Alright, that makes sense.

It still proves I am getting up to 9 hours of actual use time on a 1570mAh battery with 20+ apps receiving notifications, streaming music and every thing else (heavy use). I would call that pretty exceptional battery life all things considered. With the amount of mobile data I use (which is usually connected to LTE), to me, this is incredible. None of my other devices come close to matching that (Z10 and Galaxy Nexus).

I also fully charge my iPhone every night. I wake up, it's at 100% every morning. So my numbers wont be off since the device receives a full charge.
    I agree. 9 hours on a full charge is fair in today's age of smartphones.

I take my Z10 off charger around 7 am everyday and I get between 9 - 12 hours of usage time

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 10:38 AM
    I agree. 9 hours on a full charge is fair in today's age of smartphones.

I take my Z10 off charger around 7 am everyday and I get between 9 - 12 hours of usage time

Posted via CB10
    What is your mobile connection? Your avatar says you are Nigerian if I am reading that correctly, so I would guess you are on EDGE-HSPA+.

CDMA/LTE connected Z10s most likely have worse battery life, which is what I have since I am on Verizon. I take my Z10 off the charger at 7:15am and it is usually dead by 4-4:30pm.
    02-06-14 10:49 AM
    Each update for my Verizon Z10 has seen my battery get better and better. No hard stats, but I could push close to 20ish hrs. Other times I can really hit the battery pretty hard with some serious processing that warms it up nice and drains it relatively fast (games/flash crap etc). Generally I get at least 12-16hrs. Pull it off the charger in the morning 630am, plugging it back in anywhere after 8pm with some battery to spare (generally still white, I haven't really looked at the percentage)
    02-06-14 11:01 AM
    What is your mobile connection? Your avatar says you are Nigerian if I am reading that correctly, so I would guess you are on EDGE-HSPA+.

CDMA/LTE connected Z10s most likely have worse battery life, which is what I have since I am on Verizon. I take my Z10 off the charger at 7:15am and it is usually dead by 4-4:30pm.
    I am of Nigerian origin but i live and have lived in Boston for over a decade. I use TMobile and run on LTE.

I head out of the house around 7a.m , make a bbm video call everyday on my 30+ minute drive to work while connected to my car's bluetooth kit, manage 6 email accounts on the phone while at work, steady stream of BBM messages all day, FB pop ins every hour or so, candy crush while on my lunch break, steady stream of sms all day, the occassional phone call and about an hour long bbm video call on my way home everyday.

I am usually in one location and have great reception at work and i must admit that i do not talk much on my cellphone while at work. I achieve the low end or my usage stats when i make multiple phone calls and stream videos but if it's my regular 2-3 phone calls i'm usually good to go till about 7pm before needing to juice up again.
    02-06-14 11:08 AM
    I think it is safe to surmise that low, moderate and heavy usage is highly subjective; in addition signal strenght, being stationary and background apps also have a significant impact on battery drain.

We can debate this from now till the end of time which phone has better life but unless there's a way to use both devices under the exact same conditions results will vary.

I am absolutely satisfied with the battery life on my Z10 (i get better usage than i did with my 9900) but i know users who cannot get more than 4-6 hours on a full charge. I also know iPhone users who cannot leave home without chargers and plug their phones in to charge everytime they see an ac outlet but there are clearly iPhone users on here that get similar or better usage than i do on my Z10.

What gives?
    02-06-14 11:16 AM
    I love these threads... so entertaining.

Of course if some people had learned to use their Z10's properly there wouldn't be so much 5s defense going on.

Ah well - carry on, children.
    02-06-14 11:30 AM
    I laugh at the people who claim they can use their iphone all day. Look around the airports, malls, public places. You see teenagers walking around with the charger dangling from their phones. My daughter is always plugged in with her 5s. I just laugh. The z10 is a little better. The z30 buries the iphone completely. Day in and say out this beast just lasts.
    Attachment 245344

Posted via CB10
    If you just got off a 3hr flight where you used your phone the whole time and have a layover/connection you will have to charge.

People with all types of phones do this.

Samsung and Apple phones can play music off of storage for 25-30 hours no issue with airplane mode and screen off. That is not an issue.

Also, what matters is screen on time. STANDBY is almost worthless to add in as most phones are great there and you can use a phone down to 20pct and let it standby for 10 more hours to inflate overall times.

The earlier Windows Phones were like this. My HD7 had ridiculous standby times, but the minute I started using the phone the battery got destroyed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    02-06-14 12:05 PM
    Turning off Link and Diagnostics has made no appreciable difference to my battery life. On 33% @ this time of day just like before I switched those 2 off.

Don't want to derail this thread but..

Can all the CB members that keep complaining about battery life on their z10s please turn off the BB Link in Settings and switch off the Diagnostics to BlackBerry in Security and Privacy. These are services that average users don't use all the time but contribute to the battery draining faster. There's like 2 camps on CB right now, those that swear the battery life is sufficient to last the whole day (12-15 hours under moderate use) and those that say the battery life sucks. I'm having a hard time figuring out how it could be both with all things virtually the same. It would be great if some of these members can report back if these battery draining services have been disabled on their z10 and the battery life still sucks or they have disabled these services and they've now noticed a significant improvement.
    02-06-14 12:25 PM
    It still proves I am getting up to 9 hours of actual use time
    No, it doesn't. Just look up Apple's very own definition of the term "usage" used on their battery statistics screen. ANY background processes, even passively receiving emails or SMS while the iPhone sits in your pocket, is counted as "usage".

In conclusion, just like I already assumed before, the stats the iPhone displays are complete BS. When I left work today, my Z10 was off the charger for 10 hrs and if I had to guess how much I "used" (by Apple's logic and definition) the phone throughout my work day, it was probably 4 hrs. So 4 hrs of "usage" (LMFAO) and 6 hrs of standby. Battery consumption guys: 22%. Yes. My Z10 just screwed the iPhone.

No seriously please stop posting these horribly inaccurate iPhone stats screenshots as a proof for anything related to 'usage', because no one in the world defines receiving an email as 'usage'. Please stop, I don't want see any more of these completely BSd iPhone screenshots, because your obviously false claims drive me seriously insane. And yet I am the one that's called 'delusional'. Please just face the fact that the Apple always spins things in their favor, and the battery stats monitor is yet another example.

Via da ZeeTen
    02-06-14 12:25 PM
180 ... 23456 ...