An email notice was just sent to all of the employees of my school system. They are moving to some sort of Microsoft service ...and it involves the use of "Outlook Live" among other "live" services.

ActiveSync, apparently, is a key word here.

At the very end of the announcement, it says that this stuff is compatible with a wide range of phones (iPhone, Android, Windows) but NOT blackberry!

As it is now, everyone uses their own phone in whatever way they like. My BB is sync'd up with Gmail and Google's calendar.... but I guess we're going Microsoft.

I didn't know that Blackberry had any issues with Microsoft stuff.

So, am I screwed?... or is there a work-around?

Kelton
    11-22-10 05:59 PM
    Kelton,

My University made the switch to outlook live this summer and at first i was unable to receive mail. i went to verizon they changed some stuff (not sure) and then i went to our IT department on campus and they were able to walk me through some steps to fix a security issues between my phone and outlook live (issues on on their end). Since then i have had no problems receiving mail from the outlook server.

Now i don't know if this helps or just complicates the problem for. Let me know if you have any more thoughts or comments.

David
    Addicted College Student

Verizon service-Tour-->Bold 9650
    11-22-10 06:39 PM
    I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to get the email, but there will be no way for the blackberry calendar to sync with Microsoft's OutlookLive Calendar.

It looks like the overall "Live" system is mature enough for me to make the switch from Google stuff (plus a free 25gigs of free memory)... but I'm a bit surprised that blackberry is the one phone being left out!
    11-22-10 07:23 PM
    My IT guy said that there is a way and he said if i come by tomorrow he will show me and hopefully i can pass that info to you if it works.
    11-22-10 11:00 PM
    Do they plan on having a outlook web access page for viewing emails when not on a network computer?
    If so then you can have the emails pushed to the phone. They won't be instant but its better than nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-10 11:24 PM
    Email shouldn't be a problem, but the syncing with my blackberry calendar will not be supported from what I understand.

Everyone is going to be required to maintain a "Live" outlook calendar that is accessable by coworkers.

So, if blackberry isn't supported, I'll have to manually sync it to my computer (I guess).

I'm just amazed that, of all things a blackberry doesn't do, that this is one of them!

Not compatible with a common business use???
    11-24-10 06:27 AM
    Email shouldn't be a problem, but the syncing with my blackberry calendar will not be supported from what I understand.

Everyone is going to be required to maintain a "Live" outlook calendar that is accessable by coworkers.

So, if blackberry isn't supported, I'll have to manually sync it to my computer (I guess).

I'm just amazed that, of all things a blackberry doesn't do, that this is one of them!

RIM requires BES, basically your workplace doesn't want to use BES or BESX to do this, so you are SOL, you'll need to set it up wired to sync your calendar, not ideal, I know
    11-24-10 07:11 AM

Microsoft Outlook Live is proprietary software. They have coding and methods that will conflict with a BIS device. You can head over to supportforums.blackberry.com and find work-arounds.
    11-24-10 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD