I think this is a pretty good move at this point. What do they have to lose? Either way their stock is low. Sales are down. They are at a standstill at the moment BUT at the same time they are pulling in enough revenue to maintain work on BB10. If they weren't, the meetings and talks of sales would have happened a year ago and they would have sold already. Pushing it back a few months gives them more time to perfect it and add whatever they feel needs to be added. Plus iphone 5 RUMOURED to be coming around the same time they had planned???!!!! Why compete against that?! They can't afford that and the can't afford a failure. Then all of this change and aquisitions would be for nothing. Push it back a few months, see what the competition has to offer and then attempt to top it. Perfection and amazing user experience are the only thing that will save them now. As long as they have a decent revenue coming in im sure they will push it back for as long as it takes them to get it right. When BB10 comes and it is better and more efficient than the competition people will buy it. Regardless of what you are saying now, if you go into a store and pick one up or see what they are working with, you will buy it. Its human Nature, bigger and better. Everyone that had a bad experience with blackberry that sees it and is left with that "holy , this is a blackberry" feeling is going to be interested. All it takes is that one little thing that you loved and missed.

I'm not saying that they will prevail and that it will do well, I'm saying that their last hope now is perfection. Think about it, all of us long time berry users.....in the last six or seven years how many of us have said enough is ênough. RIM andtheir delays, BUT when the time comes, we are the first in line. Come on, admit it....
    06-28-12 07:55 PM
    I think this is a pretty good move at this point. What do they have to lose?
    The BlackBerry user base is the first thing springing to mind in response to your question. The other answer is simply - everything.
    06-28-12 07:57 PM
    The BlackBerry user base is the first thing springing to mind in response to your question. The other answer is simply - everything.
    Judging by the reactions in the comments section on the main page, and by people I know who are BB faithful waiting for BB10 - most have thrown in the towel.

You can only display your incompetence and lie for so long, eventually there's a breaking point. This was the last straw. There's no coming back from this.

It's time to move on to greener pastures.

The good news is you have plenty of quality choices that are MUCH better than Blackberrys. Android, iOS and WP7/WP8. Amazing products that RIM cannot come close to matching 3 years later.
    06-28-12 08:04 PM
    Exactly! Everything. They are already thinking of selling as a backup plan. So why waste their time with a half baked product? Do you lik your blackberry? (I'm assuming you use one) EVEN if you switched to a different device, when BB10 is out you WILL check it out. And if it is everything that you love about BB times ten, are you just going to let it go and NOT get one? Think about it for a moment. Isn't that what we all strive for? Bigger and better? If bigger and better is placed in front of you are you going to ignore it or will it arouse your curiosity? It will be even easier to sell to former blackberry users because they have experienced the functionality of these devices. Are you telling me that if you see a phone with all that you loved about it but ten times better that you wouldn't want one?
    voyager84 likes this.
    06-28-12 08:06 PM
    One reason I'm dismayed is that they're going to miss the holiday shopping season... whereas the iPhone 5 and Windows Phone 8 will come out before. That's a huge loss of potential sales.
    06-28-12 08:08 PM
    I'm staying faithful to BB. I gotta. The company means a lot to me. Here are my thoughts: Will the BB10 delay be the end of BlackBerry? - National BlackBerry | Examiner.com
    06-28-12 08:08 PM
    The good news is you have plenty of quality choices that are MUCH better than Blackberrys. Android, iOS and WP7/WP8. Amazing products that RIM cannot come close to matching 3 years later.
    Have they been competing with them? Cause it seems to me that they have just been maintaining what they do best. What they do better than the competition. Security, business productivity and communication. BB10 is the start of the competition. It is what the are going to throw out there for the masses who want more than that. Changing and rebuilding a whole os, that is competing.
    voyager84 likes this.
    06-28-12 08:12 PM
    What they have to lose is all the developer goodwill they built up with these BB10 Jam sessions over the past few weeks. I was really impressed with them and how honest (I thought) and helpful they were being with us as developers.

Now we're back to square 0 again because we can't trust their schedules still. We need to be able to trust schedules. If Google tells us that the Nexus 7 will ship next month, we know it will ship next month. When Apple says iOS6 will be out this fall, we know it will be.

Even going back to the original App Store and iOS2, they shipped on time. When RIM tells us to get all excited and rock and roll this and go build all these cool apps... we have to say yeah, why don't you show us the shipping device first. No more benefit of the doubt.

So that means at launch (if it ever launches) BB10 will now have fewer apps because many developers won't believe it and start spending time and money until after launch.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-28-12 at 08:17 PM.
    06-28-12 08:15 PM
    What they have to lose is all the developer goodwill they built up with these BB10 Jam sessions over the past few weeks. I was really impressed with them and how honest (I thought) and helpful they were being with us as developers.

Now we're back to square 0 again because we can't trust their schedules still. We need to be able to trust schedules. If Google tells us that the Nexus 7 will ship next month, we know it will ship next month. When Apple says iOS6 will be out this fall, we know it will be.

Even going back to the original App Store and iOS2, they shipped on time. When RIM tells us to get all excited and rock and roll this and go build all these cool apps... we have to say yeah, why don't you show us the shipping device first. No more benefit of the doubt.

So that means at launch (if it ever launches) BB10 will now have fewer apps because many developers won't believe it and start spending time and money until after launch.
    What do you expect to hear from Alec Saunders tomorrow and will it make any difference to you?
    06-28-12 08:33 PM
    Have they been competing with them? Cause it seems to me that they have just been maintaining what they do best. What they do better than the competition. Security, business productivity and communication. BB10 is the start of the competition. It is what the are going to throw out there for the masses who want more than that. Changing and rebuilding a whole os, that is competing.
    This all means nothing if the device still isn't out and wont be out for at least 9 more months. But let's face it, the best case scenario is that it gets released 1 year from now. The realistic scenario is that it will NEVER see the light of day.

All I'm hearing are excuses. Companies are switching to BYOD policies... doesn't seem to have an impact on their business. Security? Still not a big deal to companies that are switching.

A bird in the hand is MUCH better than two in the bush.
    06-28-12 08:35 PM
    What do you expect to hear from Alec Saunders tomorrow and will it make any difference to you?
    I don't know what Alec will say tomorrow. I suppose it's a good thing he took a vacation because I don't envy him the ****storm he'll have to deal with in the morning.

Before I spend any more time on the platform, and before I could have a prayer of getting any of my colleagues to take RIM seriously again, we would need to see in our own hands a nearly complete BB10 device. Something of the same quality and finish as we have now with the iOS6 beta for example.

Remember we waited for 9 months for Cascades to "come soon". Nine months with no honest information at all about the schedule. So it's not like RIM or Alec had earned a lot of trust to begin with.

I want a third platform to emerge. But for that to be RIM, they are going to have to realize, dare I say it, that amateur hour is over. It's time to behave like a proper platform company now, like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Oracle. This is the league that RIM has chosen to play in.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-28-12 at 08:42 PM.
    06-28-12 08:39 PM
    Where has security, business productivity and communication gotten them in the last 3 years?

They need to appeal to the masses better than they have been. They do not have to be number one but they cannot go the way they are going.

They need to compete, and they are not at the moment, nor have they been for a few years now. And with the latest delay in BB10, when will they start to compete? 9 months from now at best! I have a feeling things are going to get ugly before BB10 arrives and I think it is entirely possible that the company will be completely different by the time BB10 gets here.
    06-28-12 08:40 PM
    I don't know what Alec will say tomorrow. I suppose it's a good thing he took a vacation because I don't envy him the ****storm he'll have to deal with in the morning.

Before I spend any more time on the platform, and before I could have a prayer of getting any of my colleagues to take RIM seriously again, we would need to see in our own hands a nearly complete BB10 device. Something of the same quality and finish as we have now with the iOS6 beta for example.

Remember we waited for 9 months for Cascades to "come soon". Nine months with no honest information at all about the schedule. So it's not like RIM or Alec had earned a lot of trust to begin with.

I want a third platform to emerge. But for that to be RIM, they are going to have to realize, dare I say it, that amateur hour is over. It's time to behave like a proper platform company now, like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Oracle. This is the league that RIM has chosen to play in.
    Thanks, appreciate the response.

I *hate* to feel like this but I cannot help but wonder about the timing of his vacation, now that this has come out.
    06-28-12 09:27 PM
    what delusional pills are you taking? no one gives a crap about security and business productivity. if they did, droid and ios wouldn't exist...... in your blackberry bubble world, yea people care, in reality, NO ONE CARES.....

the next marketing campaign should be we want something other than doorstops and paper weights ....
    06-28-12 10:09 PM
    what delusional pills are you taking? no one gives a crap about security and business productivity. if they did, droid and ios wouldn't exist...... in your blackberry bubble world, yea people care, in reality, NO ONE CARES.....

the next marketing campaign should be we want something other than doorstops and paper weights ....
    Ya the US military is all over Android and IOS. Oh wait.....
    http://crackberry.com/rim-announces-...fense-networks

So you see my friend, there are many, many people and/or organizations that actually give a crap about security.

Anyhow I was just voicing my view on the whole thing. Not trying to start some pointless argument. My post was meant for the people who use blackberry. Thanks for playing though.
    06-28-12 10:26 PM

I must be part of that Bubble World because I rely on Security.I don't care what you say, I actually Like having my Data Secure and not have to worry about Hackers, or Malware invading my device.
    06-28-12 10:44 PM

I don't know what kind of job you have or what industry you work in, but I know that in my job and the industry I work in we value security and you better believe that we try to be productive with our phones. Maybe you do have a big boy/girl job and you can use a different os based phone but you should realize that a lot of the business world still values security on their phones.

Now the consumer market, that they are going after now, may not care, which,if you are part of, we can believe that to be true and you don't mind giving up security and productivity but to say that no one cares about these things shows the limitation to your intelligence.
    06-28-12 11:18 PM
    Ya the US military is all over Android and IOS. Oh wait.....
    http://crackberry.com/rim-announces-...fense-networks

So you see my friend, there are many, many people and/or organizations that actually give a crap about security.

Anyhow I was just voicing my view on the whole thing. Not trying to start some pointless argument. My post was meant for the people who use blackberry. Thanks for playing though.
    Look, they need to have a mil-spec'd version of the BB, which they can charge quadruple for. And then they can have a regular security phone for consumers, which needs actually exist.

In the meantime, sell me an OS7 phone with a great exchange/rebate program for when the mythical BB10 phone comes out.

For anyone who doesn't understand what is happening to RIM, go read about Digital Equipment Corporation. It is a great parallel of how to destroy a good business, complete with non-adept senior management.
    06-28-12 11:38 PM
    1) As stated above, the user base.

2) Investors' confidence/trust.

3) Developers, who will no longer be willing to invest their time and effort.

4) Another few hundred million $ in net losses.
    06-28-12 11:48 PM
    You hit it on the nail. It's about the product through and through, if the product is good now, it sure will be good about two months down the road. Unlike certain other companies (Sega and Nintendo, I'm looking at you, Blackberry is actually going to deliver on the quality of the platform and its products. The same people who bitched about the delay endlessly will be still be at the queues come March. You know why? Not just because we are the fanboys, but that we actually know it's quality we are waiting for, not failed promises like before.

So it's been delayed about two months? At this point, would ******** about the market share waning because of it make you sound any more intelligent than you already are. That's my take on it.
    01-31-13 09:58 PM
    You hit it on the nail. It's about the product through and through, if the product is good now, it sure will be good about two months down the road. Unlike certain other companies (Sega and Nintendo, I'm looking at you, Blackberry is actually going to deliver on the quality of the platform and its products. The same people who bitched about the delay endlessly will be still be at the queues come March. You know why? Not just because we are the fanboys, but that we actually know it's quality we are waiting for, not failed promises like before.

So it's been delayed about two months? At this point, would ******** about the market share waning because of it make you sound any more intelligent than you already are. That's my take on it.
    this thread is from 6 months back.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 10:04 PM
    and.......

Closed
    01-31-13 10:31 PM