It's just like it sounds.... it'll roll left only when it feels good and ready to. It's not just that the cursor doesn't show a leftward movement on the screen, but rather the trackball itself will not physically roll left.

It's not dirty/linty/etc. because it is BRAND new. Otherwise, it scrolls very smoothly. Anyone know what could be causing it to get stuck like that? I usually have to roll it around very firmly and yell at it for like 10 minutes, and then it'll return to normal. I'm VERY nervous to disassemble it, so I want to avoid that at all costs.... Thanks!
    01-30-09 04:30 PM
    It's just like it sounds.... it'll roll left only when it feels good and ready to. It's not just that the cursor doesn't show a leftward movement on the screen, but rather the trackball itself will not physically roll left.

It's not dirty/linty/etc. because it is BRAND new. Otherwise, it scrolls very smoothly. Anyone know what could be causing it to get stuck like that? I usually have to roll it around very firmly and yell at it for like 10 minutes, and then it'll return to normal. I'm VERY nervous to disassemble it, so I want to avoid that at all costs.... Thanks!
    I know you probably checked this but have you messed with the sensitivity?
    01-30-09 04:31 PM
    Right now I have it set to 80, but I've changed it to 90, 100, 70, etc. NOTHING helps. I had this issue with a previous one, but it never resolved and I had to bring it back. I really don't think it is an issue with the sensitivity though because it really just will not roll to the left. It's like it is catching on something and no matter how hard I try to roll it, the trackball will not budge.
    01-30-09 04:33 PM
    You said your mom has a Pearl or a Curve right? Try swapping the trackball from hers to yours. That will definitely tell you whether it's the trackball itself or something else.
    01-30-09 05:23 PM
    Yes, a Pearl. I would try that, but what if I snap the metal rings? I think that when it is doing it, I'll leave it alone (not try to get it working again), and then bring it into a Sprint repair store and have THEM swap it out so that if it breaks, it is THEIR fault. The phone works pretty well *again, knock on wood* aside from the little trackball sticking every now and again, so I'll see if they can just swap that out, hopefully resolving the issue. Thanks again!
    01-30-09 05:34 PM
    Cara, I had that exact same problem with a Curve. It only gets
    worse. I wound up warranty exchanging the device to resolve
    the issue because eventually it plain stopped going in one direction.
    01-30-09 05:54 PM
    Sadly the same thing happened to me on my old pearl actually. no fun!!!
    01-30-09 05:57 PM

Do you think just switching out the trackball would work though?? I've had SO many issues with these phones that getting one that actually seems to work ok *furiously knocking on wood, lol* breaks my heart to think that I might have to get rid of it!!

P.S. I've always wondered; to utilize RIM's 1 year warranty, do you go through them or your carrier? Also, do they give you a used/refurbished phone, or a brand new one? Thanks!
    01-30-09 06:17 PM
    I believe and please dont quote me but if its within 30 days you get a new one. After 30 days its a refurb. That is what the rep at AT&T told me twice so if I am wrong lets blame her (your carrier may be different of course)

Wish you luck with your issue. Personally if it were me I would take your moms trackball out and try it. If it works then bingo your set, just order a few trackballs online and deal with the left turn motion a week or so? If it does nothing to help its back to Sprint ya go.
    01-30-09 06:22 PM
    Do you think just switching out the trackball would work though?? I've had SO many issues with these phones that getting one that actually seems to work ok *furiously knocking on wood, lol* breaks my heart to think that I might have to get rid of it!!

P.S. I've always wondered; to utilize RIM's 1 year warranty, do you go through them or your carrier? Also, do they give you a used/refurbished phone, or a brand new one? Thanks!

Happened to me, switched it out with a new trackball, worked fine. Just not sure how long it is going to be before it craps out again.
    01-30-09 06:22 PM
    Yes, a Pearl. I would try that, but what if I snap the metal rings?
    It really is not difficult at all to remove the ball. Just be careful and follow the directions and you'll be fine. It is worrisome the first time but after that it will be no big deal.

I think your best bet would be to switch out the track ball. If that is the case then you can just pick up another one pretty cheap. If it isn't atleast you know then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD