As time goes on, the people who do these jobs will be able to educate themselves, and many will move on to better opportunities - or start their own companies and make better opportunities - and slowly the tide will lift all boats. You also need to remember that some of the rigidness and control comes from the fact that many of those people had never even seen the inside of a factory, and were not used to working with others in a tightly coordinated way. It might seem abusive to us, but part of it is necessary to give them a consistent base of experience and rule structure to build on. Note that militarizes around the world train their soldiers much the same way and for the same reason - including the US.

But as industrial and tech jobs become the norm, conditions will improve broadly. It's part of a natural cycle. It's naive to expect China to go from 0 to 1 million overnight - everyone over there is learning together how modern work forces operate. Will there be some abuse? Sure - and it still happens here too. But it's a net good for the people as a whole.
    05-31-16 08:10 PM
    Fine enough to warrant a space at the table of working devices by major carriers .
    Yay. The bare minimum of promotion a carrier can offer. A space that's maybe 8"x10", a 3x5 card, a connected charging cable, and a powered-on device. That's what the sales of most Android phones are worthy of these days, if that. Devices from well-known and established brands can barely sell enough to get the bare minimum a carrier offers. If you haven't noticed, the only thing that BB has established among the general public is the belief that it closed down years ago.
    05-31-16 08:36 PM
    Yay. The bare minimum of promotion a carrier can offer. A space that's maybe 8"x10", a 3x5 card, a connected charging cable, and a powered-on device. That's what the sales of most Android phones are worthy of these days, if that. Devices from well-known and established brands can barely sell enough to get the bare minimum a carrier offers. If you haven't noticed, the only thing that BB has established among the general public is the belief that it closed down years ago.
    Ok, go buy a iPhone if you like or do not buy an Android BlackBerry. There is no changing the past and the only hope that PKB fans have is to keep their old devices running or wait for the new Android Rome device.
    05-31-16 08:47 PM
    I was providing another reason why BlackBerry costs are higher. That was the road I was going down till the side track.

Okay.. lets do some simple math for you as we go down this route:

1. % of phones produced by Foxconn prior to 2014:
    - Apple 100%
    - BlackBerry 0%

2. % of phones produced by Foxconn currently:
    - Apple 100%
    - BlackBerry 0% unless Z3 is still being built

3. % of phones produced by Foxxconn over their history:
    - Apple 100%
    - BlackBerry probably less than 4%

If you think those numbers are equivalent, I may suggest you go back and take a math refresher course.

Gotta go outside as the lawn is calling for a trim.

Nice talking to you.

Posted via CB10
    %'s don't matter. They used them and would still be using them if they could get still get the parts needed for the Classic on the cheap (per direct from John Chen at the quarterly call) and if they could have gotten anyone to buy the Z3.

Oh I gotta go feed the dog, its been real.
    05-31-16 08:52 PM
    What do " the people " want from BlackBerry? There is no consensus here on CB.
    Z50, Passport 2, upgraded 9900... the list goes on.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-31-16 10:37 PM
    No marketing + bad brand image + overpriced + no Carrier relationship + too big Phone (q5/q10/classic users are with me at this point) + Hub converted to an app instead create a very productive launcher like BB10 + hardware issues = anyone buy it.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 01:13 AM
    I like OP perspective on BB's failure in the smartphone market. But bare in mind:

1. Ppl can write whatever once a company has proven success or failure

2. BBRY as a global secure comm listed company has to ensure do not conflict with their primary objective which the more secure their handsets are the more difficult their business client do their work

3. The more QNX phone they make and the more apps means the higher probability their core system foundation and code gets 'hacked'

4. IMO Chen should keep producing BB10 but smaller numbers, 'app-less' phones should help.

As a consumer I feel cheated and betrayed. But I do understand its was a necessary hard call they made.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 04:10 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Those who I speak with LOVE their Priv.....

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 05:14 AM
    Which is a very 1st-World Guilt way of looking at things. You can also look at it this way: for many of those workers, building phones for Apple or Samsung or any big tech company is the best job in the region, and far better than their alternatives - which for a large number used to be subsistence farming on a tiny, crappy plot of land where they had to work all day to scrape out a living. An Apple or Samsung job pays them triple or more than what they could make otherwise, which is why there are 50 people lined up for every available job in those factories. It may seem "abusive" by first-world standards, but it's a huge improvement for them, and actually gives them upward mobility so that their future generations can live a more middle-class life.
    True, they call Chinese companies sweatshops but the pay is actually quite acceptable from our point of view.
    06-01-16 05:26 AM
    Those who I speak with LOVE their Priv.....

Posted via CB10
    They should, because its a good phone. The problem is that its standout feature is a keyboard and that hasn't really been something that has shown to be something that people still want. Other than that its a solid Android phone, of which there are tons to choose from.
    06-01-16 06:54 AM
    I say shenanigans to it all!!!!!. The reason BB under-performed in the smartphone market is because NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT!!!
    Blackberry has an absolutely HORRIBLE marketing team. I absolutely NEVER see a Blackberry commercial but daily see many many commercials of all the other brands!
    06-01-16 04:39 PM
    I say shenanigans to it all!!!!!. The reason BB under-performed in the smartphone market is because NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT!!!
    Blackberry has an absolutely HORRIBLE marketing team. I absolutely NEVER see a Blackberry commercial but daily see many many commercials of all the other brands!
    Microsoft
    06-01-16 04:51 PM
    %'s don't matter. They used them and would still be using them if they could get still get the parts needed for the Classic on the cheap (per direct from John Chen at the quarterly call) and if they could have gotten anyone to buy the Z3.

Oh I gotta go feed the dog, its been real.
    Actually percentages do matter.
    For example.....
    BlackBerry 0.2% market share
    Android 83% market share

If BlackBerry had 80% marketshare, this thread would be redundant.

Get a cat...lower maintenance.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 10:45 PM
    For example.....
    Android 83% market share

Posted via CB10
    Haha, very true.
    06-02-16 05:58 AM
    At least Microsoft tried. Consumers knew about the product and rejected it. How can anyone say that consumers know enough about Blackberry to even have a chance to reject it?

Marketing, by itself, cannot make a bad product successful. Any more than just water, by itself, will make your garden successful. BUT see how long your garden lasts without water! See how long even the best product lasts without marketing!

Even a 10 year old knows that no one will even consider your lemonade, good or bad, if no one knows you're selling any.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    06-02-16 07:54 AM
    For example.....
    Android 83% market share

Posted via CB10
    Never. Dogs rule.
    06-02-16 07:05 PM
    At least Microsoft tried. Consumers knew about the product and rejected it. How can anyone say that consumers know enough about Blackberry to even have a chance to reject it?

Marketing, by itself, cannot make a bad product successful. Any more than just water, by itself, will make your garden successful. BUT see how long your garden lasts without water! See how long even the best product lasts without marketing!

Even a 10 year old knows that no one will even consider your lemonade, good or bad, if no one knows you're selling any.
    BB10 has some obvious deficiencies - most glaringly is a lack of ecosystem in a market where the dominate players have had robust ecosystems for years. There is nothing about BB10 that leads me to believe people would leave iOS and android for it even if they knew all about it. In fact, if they knew all about it, that would be worse because of its deficiencies. Marketing isn't the problem. The smartphone market is consolidated into two OS's. Absolutely no third option is going to crack that market in the short or medium terms.
    06-02-16 07:35 PM
    The smartphone market is consolidated into two OS's. Absolutely no third option is going to crack that market in the short or medium terms.
    I'm still holding out hope for Windows although perhaps the tablet form factor might be more their thing. But I am starting to agree here: just as the PC landscape become Windows vs OSX, the mobile landscape will be android vs IOS. There just doesn't seem to be room for Sailfish/Firefox/BB10/ and maybe Windows here. Although I still can't figure out why: most everyone I know uses SMS, facebook and twitter and nothing else on their device.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 09:28 PM
    Never. Dogs rule.
    I usually bet on the underdog. The paydays are more satisfying. Ya just have to be able to weather the storm between wins.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 09:35 PM
    Compared the prices for Priv and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge about 2 weeks ago.

Here in Malaysia Priv is USD 844 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is USD 663.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 09:59 PM
    Although I still can't figure out why: most everyone I know uses SMS, facebook and twitter and nothing else on their device.
    It might seem that way, and could even be true for many of the people you know, but it isn't true for most. Tons of people use big apps like Instagram and SnapChat, but most people also have a couple of smaller, not well known apps that are really important to them, even though they wouldn't be important to you or me.

People have apps for their professions, their hobbies, their interests, and for making their lives easier. They may only use 1 or 2 of those apps, but everyone's 1 or 2 is different, which is why a large, deep ecosystem is so important.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-03-16 09:03 AM
96 ... 234