Hello all,

I am new to the BB scene. I decided to give it a go after using many dumb phones over the years and wanting more from my device.

Ever since I have got my phone, I live on these forums! Reading, learning and looking at opinions.

My Pearl flip was bought as a introduction into the world of the smart phone. I like the Pearl and I really have no/few complaints about it. In the end, I am a consumer and interested in many things the "average" smart phone user may be interested in.

When I heard about the Storm 2 I thought this was a must have to really introduce me into what a smart phone could be (I consider the flip a tease). After reading some opinions on the Storm 2 and BB in general, now I am wondering if this is the path to take?

Do I buy the Storm 2 in hopes that BB will come out with some real innovation in the touch screen department (or OS in general if you prefer), or do I simply pass for a device that is more geared at the consumer sector?

Please don't get me wrong, the Pearl is a great phone! It just is not what I believe it could be (since it is a standard BB OS, I more then likely have this feeling with any BB device).

One side of me says "go for it" (on another BB device) and another says I should pass. Now.. From a company perspective, I really hope BB can take there current situation and come up with a better OS/product. I would hope that some of the development on the Storm 2 would be a place that BB would start (since the wave of the future seems to be touch screen devices).

I guess my question is this:

Will BB innovate enough to make the consumer feel like they are getting more (think the iPhone or devices of that nature)? Or is BB so tied into the idea of a business based device that they are willing to drown in that fashion?

Before I dump $500 +/- on the table, I would like some opinions.

For those that may feel this has been talked about elsewhere, I am sorry!
    09-30-09 08:55 PM
    "Will BB innovate enough to make the consumer feel like they are getting more (think the iPhone or devices of that nature)? Or is BB so tied into the idea of a business based device that they are willing to drown in that fashion?"

I'm already getting the most from my "business based device." I don't need to be conned into "feeling" that I'm getting more, by some i-this or i-that gadget. So, I guess from my perspective Bb isn't "drowning" in any fashion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 09:09 PM
    I'm already getting the most from my "business based device." I don't need to be conned into "feeling" that I'm getting more, by some i-this or i-that gadget. So, I guess from my perspective Bb isn't "drowning" in any fashion.
    BB no longer has/will have the grip they do/did. Push email used to be a huge reason to have a BB... Now other devices have this!

Google could make Google talk as good as BBM... This would be the end of all "unique" feature that set BB apart.

In any business it takes innovation to survive, what is BB doing about this?

On a side note... I am glad you like your device, I do as well... But really in my book it could be a lot more.
    09-30-09 09:13 PM
    "This would be the end of all 'unique' feature that set BB apart.In any business it takes innovation to survive, what is BB doing about this?On a side note... I am glad you like your device, I do as well... But really in my book it could be a lot more."

Well, in my book, less IS more. I like lean and mean ... streamlined, efficient. I don't need bells, whistles, flashing lights and other clutter. But, this is coming from someone who's not into games and/or sports. Turn the Blackberry into the I-Phone, and I'll get rid of it.

Last edited by T�nis; 09-30-09 at 09:43 PM.
    09-30-09 09:40 PM
    I like BB because its not always jumping on the bandwagon. I know tons of ppl with these new devices that are supposedly so great and they have issues with them.

I also like that irregardless of what BB I use, they may look a little different and may have varying OS' but in general, they work very similar.

As far as is it worth it to pay $500+ for the Storm 2...I guess that is your decision. I would say that most of the new BB's seem to have some issues when they first come out initially. I don't know that I would ever personally find any BB worth paying $500+ for though.
    09-30-09 09:51 PM
    I like BB because its not always jumping on the bandwagon. I know tons of ppl with these new devices that are supposedly so great and they have issues with them.

I also like that irregardless of what BB I use, they may look a little different and may have varying OS' but in general, they work very similar.

As far as is it worth it to pay $500+ for the Storm 2...I guess that is your decision. I would say that most of the new BB's seem to have some issues when they first come out initially. I don't know that I would ever personally find any BB worth paying $500+ for though.
    Lol not just BB, I wouldn't give $500 for any phone!

I understand where the OP is coming from, but also understand that BB is primarily a business phone and trying to please business and regular consumers is no easy task. Also BB has always focused on their OS to be more business "professional" like that's why we don't see all the flashy things other OS have but I'm sure they're wrking on it as competition is getting tougher.

Also, RIM has many OS versions and many devices they have to worry about unlike Apple that only has to worry about one device, which makes it easier to jus focuse on that one thing.
    09-30-09 10:08 PM
    I think if my BlackBerry device choices were limited to a pearl or a storm2 I would have a hard time staying with Rim, but there are some great devices available now, and a few more due soon. My 8900 worked great right out of the box. I guess it isn't an innovation to make a device that just works great, but that is an important consideration to me. I have adapted a personal device to do business, too. I am extremely satisfied and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

09-30-09 10:28 PM
    I think if my BlackBerry device choices were limited to a pearl or a storm2 I would have a hard time staying with Rim, but there are some great devices available now, and a few more due soon. My 8900 worked great right out of the box. I guess it isn't an innovation to make a device that just works great, but that is an important consideration to me. I have adapted a personal device to do business, too. I am extremely satisfied and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

I feel like those are the choices that work for me. I really am not interested in the bigger devices (Tour or Curve).

Just personal preference I guess.

The other device I am looking hard at is the TP2.
    09-30-09 11:31 PM
    I love my BlackBerry, and wouldn't trade it for anything. But, if your looking for an iPhone-like BlackBerry, you'll soon become very disappointed. My advice, if you want an iPhone, get one. Never buy into what other people say. Its your phone, and therefore, you need to be satisfied with it.
    10-01-09 05:08 AM
    I went from a Pearl to a Storm. It is a nice transition, you get a bigger screen, a few extra features and you still get to keep SureType. Now that I have had it for a while, the novelty is wearing off and I think I just want my Pearl back.
    10-01-09 08:58 AM
    I love my BlackBerry, and wouldn't trade it for anything. But, if your looking for an iPhone-like BlackBerry, you'll soon become very disappointed. My advice, if you want an iPhone, get one. Never buy into what other people say. Its your phone, and therefore, you need to be satisfied with it.
    I am not at all interested in the the iPhone. Not even a little bit.

I really just want to know for those who have used Blackberry for a long time think that BB will bring the OS up to the times?

I want to stay with BB! I just have been reading and it looks like OS 5.0 does not really bring a lot to the table. I just really want to know if people think this will change?

I do like my BB indeed and want to know if you seasoned users think the Storm 2 will be the device where innovation happens.

The simplicity is there, the groundwork looks fine and a lot of people complain that the OS is stuck in 2005. Will this change?
    10-01-09 09:21 AM
    As a personal user of my BB, I really have only two complaints. Lack of threaded messages, and lack of 2-way sync with gmail. OS 5.0 takes care of one, and I read an article the other day about future support for 2-way gmail sync. So I am good.

I also read a forum posting (on crackberry i think) which detailed some of the 5.0 changes a developer can expect. Among the changes are improved 2D graphics support, and better browser & video cam embedding. Changes like these open the door for some cool app features in the future.

I also think it's amazing that in the 3 months I've had it, I've upgraded the OS twice. Not bad... RIM has a big job but still making progress.

The 8230 is my first BB and I am thrilled with it. It is incredible that I have all the functionality of a BB and it fits in the palm of my hand. I would probably be thrilled with any of the other BB's too (for different reasons I suppose).

What I really want is a slider+touch BB, and I still want it to fit in my pocket...
    10-01-09 11:00 AM
    I get the impression that RIM are pushing further and further into the "consumer" market place with things like facebooks apps and (at least within the UK) prime time advertising raising brand awareness.

I also think that BB continues to offer many things as a mobile email solution for large corporates that other solutions currently dont. Being designed from the ground up to minimise the amount of traffic (sending only the first 2K of messages being a good example) and being designed for very security (military) use is a good reason why large companies and organisations go for BB.

Even the middle of the market has BPS, so from where I am sitting, I think they are doing pretty well.
    10-01-09 11:06 AM
    The simplicity is there, the groundwork looks fine and a lot of people complain that the OS is stuck in 2005. Will this change?
    IMHO, the BlackBerry OS, Sun Java VM is perfectly suited to creating the "Smarts" in my Phone.

It is a ground up multitasking operations system that is tested to guarantee it is bullet proof reliable. Applications, not so much.

What we have on the first generation Consumer Models is an optimized response to the keys and the trackball. Once your configured and everything is set up correctly, minimum fuss to do the things you need to do. That is the good part.

Our Touch screen cousins are having a challenge, they get compared to the competition, a lot.

Apple has taken a different approach, what is does is maximize the visual appeal becasue it only doing one thing at at a time. You can afford to waste precious resources on looking pretty, at the expense of battery life.

I am with RIM, let me have a reliable daily companion that keeps up with hundreds of emails daily, with minimum fuss.

Could the accessory Apps be better? A huge number of Third Party Apps developers think so, they are getting the tools they need to get it done.
    10-01-09 12:08 PM
    Apple has taken a different approach, what is does is maximize the visual appeal becasue it only doing one thing at at a time. You can afford to waste precious resources on looking pretty, at the expense of battery life.

I am with RIM, let me have a reliable daily companion that keeps up with hundreds of emails daily, with minimum fuss.

Could the accessory Apps be better? A huge number of Third Party Apps developers think so, they are getting the tools they need to get it done.
    That is a very good point!

As these devices get more eye candy, the resources to run such eye candy has to come from somewhere.

Thanks for this! I think I will stick with BB. This makes a lot of sense!

As me being someone who tries to run Linux with Compiz on an old 1ghz machine (for the sake of tinker ), I can appreciate the resources is takes to make something look pretty.

Thanks again!
    10-01-09 12:16 PM
    I average over 100 emails a day ...
    "Quantity has a quality all its own." Joseph Stalin
    That holds true today. Swap in the word word "Simplicity" for "Quantity".

10-01-09 12:40 PM
    Lol not just BB, I wouldn't give $500 for any phone!

I understand where the OP is coming from, but also understand that BB is primarily a business phone and trying to please business and regular consumers is no easy task. Also BB has always focused on their OS to be more business "professional" like that's why we don't see all the flashy things other OS have but I'm sure they're wrking on it as competition is getting tougher.

Also, RIM has many OS versions and many devices they have to worry about unlike Apple that only has to worry about one device, which makes it easier to jus focuse on that one thing.
    I paid $500 for my Vaio laptop and I felt guilty; I could never spend that much on a phone!
    10-01-09 02:08 PM
    "... BB is primarily a business phone ..."

It may be, but mine is mostly personal use. Thing is, I want flawless, reliable management of my family and social fun.

10-01-09 03:46 PM
    I paid $500 for my Vaio laptop and I felt guilty; I could never spend that much on a phone!
    I spend way to much on technology!

My wife has a cow if I spend what she considers to be to much! Believe me when I say we live broke but not without.

The way I see it is I will only live once! If I scurry around this life just wanting all kinds of stuff, what really is the point? I only live once and mines well try my best to enjoy it! Even if this does mean I spend to much from time to time.
    10-01-09 04:21 PM
    Hello all,

I am new to the BB scene. I decided to give it a go after using many dumb phones over the years and wanting more from my device.

Ever since I have got my phone, I live on these forums! Reading, learning and looking at opinions.

My Pearl flip was bought as a introduction into the world of the smart phone. I like the Pearl and I really have no/few complaints about it. In the end, I am a consumer and interested in many things the "average" smart phone user may be interested in.

When I heard about the Storm 2 I thought this was a must have to really introduce me into what a smart phone could be (I consider the flip a tease). After reading some opinions on the Storm 2 and BB in general, now I am wondering if this is the path to take?
    Haha. I'm pretty much on the same exact boat as you. I got my Flip as my first BlackBerry because I was uncomfortable with the idea of QWERTY keypads at the time, and because it is most similar to my old dumbphone.

With that said, I'm really excited about the Storm 2. If you're looking for the most "consumer friendly" BlackBerry that still retains its functionality, I wouldn't consider any other model.
    10-01-09 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD