So here is my 2-cents on this.

Even with the new 10.2 update allowing jellybean apps to be able to run on the phone, you still need to sideload the app. For the casual user that is not going to fly. The casual user wants to be able to get the app they want by pushing a button and be done. They do not have any interest is sideloading anything. And that is why Apple and Android does so well. Yes on Android you can unlock the boot-loader and flash a new rom, but that is not for the casual user. The casual user will NEVER flash a rom or sideload anything. It is just a fact. And until that is fixed we will be destined to fail. I love my Z10 and I have and will continue sideload any app that I need or want. But you will never see the casual user or most business users doing that. Hopefully this new update will convince Devs to at least port them over. I'm not all that hopeful though. I will continue to install leaks and sideload apps until BB in no more. Hopefully BB will survive. Either way I will stay till the end.

***Note this is my opinion ***
    jh07 likes this.
    11-18-13 09:19 AM
    You say you use leaks, so I'm here to inform you: 10.2.1 does not need side-loading anymore, you can download and install .apk directly from your phone.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    11-18-13 09:24 AM
    Please get the NSA sponsored android phones or an apple or microsoft. Problem solved.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-18-13 09:47 AM
    Please get the NSA sponsored android phones or an apple or microsoft. Problem solved.

It doesn't matter which platform you use, the government can still track you.
    11-18-13 09:50 AM
    You say you use leaks, so I'm here to inform you: 10.2.1 does not need side-loading anymore, you can download and install .apk directly from your phone.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    I think what the OP is talking about is that the overwhelming majority of consumers want a phone with an app store app built in. Like Google Play, the App Store, or, yes, BlackBerry World. With 10.2.1, you still have to find the .apk for something like 1 Mobile Market or similar to get an app store-type app on your phone. For BB diehards, OK, it's hardly a big deal. For Joe Consumer, it's not much of a selling point, assuming it's even known as a selling point.
    swervable and bbq10l like this.
    11-18-13 10:12 AM
    oh so the Casual user can go the the BB app world and download the app that they want with 10.2.1? wow that is news. And when did that happen?

Read the full text in a post before posting. I understand what to do but the Casual user will not and will not know or care to download an app that is not right in the app store.
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-18-13 10:15 AM
    oh so the Casual user can go the the BB app world and download the app that they want with 10.2.1? wow that is news. And when did that happen?

Read the full text in a post before posting. I understand what to do but the Casual user will not and will not know or care to download an app that is not right in the app store.
    I wonder how 'casual users' ever find any programs/software for their PC's, or anything for that matter. I can understand saying they don't want to sideload as that can be complicated for some. Really if an app is liked, it travels like wildfire through IM, E-Mail, FB, Twitter, etc... User clicks the link, boom it's installed.
    11-18-13 10:25 AM
    Love the NSA spy game conspiracy. Lol. That's another reason why I love my Z10.

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    11-18-13 10:37 AM
    I wonder how 'casual users' ever find any programs/software for their PC's, or anything for that matter. I can understand saying they don't want to sideload as that can be complicated for some. Really if an app is liked, it travels like wildfire through IM, E-Mail, FB, Twitter, etc... User clicks the link, boom it's installed.
    Casual users get PC software from name brand stores or directly download from online name brand stores. Casual users discover a great app and directly download from Apple or Android. PERIOD. Please do not insult casual users just because BlackBerry is not competitive.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 11:34 AM

Unless you are on BES, your phone is no more secure than any other phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 11:35 AM
    Casual users get PC software from name brand stores or directly download from online name brand stores. Casual users discover a great app and directly download from Apple or Android. PERIOD. Please do not insult casual users just because BlackBerry is not competitive.

Posted via CB10
    I find it more insulting to casual users that you make them out to be totally brain dead zombies. I know lots of so called 'casual' users that will happily click in a link for software or a game they want and they don't care if it's from a name brand store or the developers website. (Including my own grandmother!)

I'm not arguing whether BlackBerry is being competitive or not, I'm arguing more about that fact that EVEN casual users like choice (And can click a link to an app just as easily as finding an app in your all glorious AppWorld/Play store.). Otherwise we would all be shopping at Walmart and eating at McDonalds. Guess that's okay for 'Casual' shoppers though, wouldn't want to make it too complicated for them.
    11-18-13 11:48 AM
    The process for getting and running apps on 10.2.1 isn't much better. Download this, workaround that and MAYBE it'll work. Some people here want the company to succeed so badly (so do i) that they can't think straight

Posted from BlackBerry Z10
    bbq10l and swervable like this.
    11-18-13 12:01 PM
    The process for getting and running apps on 10.2.1 isn't much better. Download this, workaround that and MAYBE it'll work. Some people here want the company to succeed so badly (so do i) that they can't think straight

Not sure what you mean, I'm running 10.2.1.1055 and all I have to do is click on the download for an app, it downloads the APK, then I click on it to run, which installs it. Have only had one app fail doing this, and to fix that I just found a different source for it. (Have had to do that on Android phones too)

PS - Not saying others have not had problems, it happens, it's still in beta at the moment. Hopefully they fix it up good before releasing, but with BB's track record that might take until 10.3 or 10.4 :P
    Last edited by spyeagle; 11-18-13 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Add PS
    11-18-13 12:13 PM
    Not sure what you mean, I'm running 10.2.1.1055 and all I have to do is click on the download for an app, it downloads the APK, then I click on it to run, which installs it. Have only had one app fail doing this, and to fix that I just found a different source for it. (Have had to do that on Android phones too)
    I believe it isn't so much the BB10 Runtime having issues with the apps. I have had many instances occur where I would side load an app and find it not work. However when I downloaded from another source it worked fine.

I find this ironic that it is also the case on Android devices. A dirty little secret that Android users fail to mention. Dirty Lil secrets

Posted via CB10
    playbookster likes this.
    11-18-13 12:16 PM
    I know you meant to say the apps still need to be found (though BBWorld solutions like Snap are already on the way), but that was not the scope of your OP.
    It was pretty much just about side-loading, I just wanted to make clear that side-loading is no longer needed.

And for Google specific apps, of course they do not work perfectly, not even 3rd party Android devices have 100% app support.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    11-18-13 12:29 PM
    It would be nice to see more games working tho. Apps work fine when installing apk,s but working games seem quite rare

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:35 PM

Obviously you aren't running 10.2.1.1055 or you wouldn't have made this erroneous post. No need to work around. You just click in the store to download. The app downloads. When it is done downloading you are given the option to install. You click on the button, the app installs. Once it is done installing you are given an option to open the app or you can flick out of it and go on to something else. The app is installed and runs. No problem.

For some reason Amazon World apps wouldn't download for me, but 1Mobile apps do and they run smoothly. Not had a problem yet.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    playbookster likes this.
    11-18-13 12:38 PM
    I'll admit that the only 'out of the ordinary' install I had to make was for the app markets themselves. Amazon being a bit difficult to get. Once I got those installed, I use them as a regular app store. No sideloading, no workarounds, just download and install.

Amazon takes some setup on their website with your account before the apps will download and install. It required a credit card which is fine with me because I buy from Amazon anyway, but may not be ideal for others. 1Mobile Market is good and runs smoothly but it has some questionable apps. I haven't really used Aptoide all that much though since the other two cover my bases.

Amazon is the best situation and I would like to see BlackBerry make it an official store if Google doesn't play nice.

I'd still rather have a good native app though. Android apps are not always ideal and don't always work properly.
    11-18-13 12:52 PM
    So here is my 2-cents on this.

Even with the new 10.2 update allowing jellybean apps to be able to run on the phone, you still need to sideload the app. For the casual user that is not going to fly. The casual user wants to be able to get the app they want by pushing a button and be done. They do not have any interest is sideloading anything. And that is why Apple and Android does so well. Yes on Android you can unlock the boot-loader and flash a new rom, but that is not for the casual user. The casual user will NEVER flash a rom or sideload anything. It is just a fact. And until that is fixed we will be destined to fail. I love my Z10 and I have and will continue sideload any app that I need or want. But you will never see the casual user or most business users doing that. Hopefully this new update will convince Devs to at least port them over. I'm not all that hopeful though. I will continue to install leaks and sideload apps until BB in no more. Hopefully BB will survive. Either way I will stay till the end.

***Note this is my opinion ***
    I agree. I think for most users, this "upgrade" is meaningless. I am surprised there is such a furor about it. I think that the only way it will have an impact is if it makes more developers port to BB10.
    swervable and bbq10l like this.
    11-18-13 01:11 PM