02-17-17 03:35 PM
81 ... 234
tools
    you are right the drivers might be free but if you are only buying 100K chips you will be charged 10x what sammy has to pay making it way to costly for the phone. So really the drivers arent free if that is the case.
    02-13-17 11:31 AM
    I dont buy that line for a second. If I were to call Intel, Qualcomm, or any other chipset manufacturer and say I wanted to order 100,000 chips for installation into a new product that I was designing and placed the order, you can bet your balls that the driver information would be coming for free
    I'd rather not bet anything on that bet.

That's like buying an HP printer and when you try to hook it up, having them charge you an extra $50 for the Windows driver so you can use it once you unpack it, get it home, and realize it doesn't work.
    Unfortunately it's not even close to the situation we're discussing. Windows is the one big player out there with the biggest market share. So they throw out at least that one driver for free. And if you would transfer that to the mobile market, then there is one Linux/Android driver out there for free, too. But even then, most of the times the chipset manufacturer doesn't fix any bugs / security holes in the their own software. This is one of the reason for the bad update politics on Android. And also the reason for why my Xperia Z3 compact tablet will never see Nougat

But even than, a printer is a rather standard device nowadays, not to compare with a high tech closed source chipset and there are no problems on mostly any OS out there, regarding simple printing features.

I'm guessing that the Priv was originally designed as a BB10 phone. A decision was made to chase Android (probably to try to get people to like the BB10 experience, hence the keyboard and HUB) so they rewrote everything for droid and refused to release the phone on BB10, trying to skin a BB10 feel over Android to gain access to the app ecosystem and drive hardware sales.

You can't tell me that recoding all of the core BB apps for droid is cheaper than getting drivers for another chipset. It must have cost millions to recode all of those apps for droid.
    Yes, it really seemed like a OS10 mock up we saw at first. But that mock up definitely was not really running any kind of OS at that time. And there were multiple reasons for the move towards Android, not only the missing drivers, but I think everybody knows about those reasons.
    No real market share --> few developers --> few apps / missing must have apps --> no market

It was like burning money to produce any more OS10 phones. And even though I really hate the fact. OS10 slowly dies. I'd prefer OS10 any time over Android, but we can't change nothing about it.
    02-13-17 11:53 AM
    For 100k Chips they would probably throw in a few i3s and spare parts for free. By all means though, make the phone call xD.
    02-13-17 12:12 PM
    A 100,000 chip order at even $60 p/u is a $6 million dollar order. They arent going to tack on an extra 20 grand for the driver information and API.

Now if I, on the other hand, wanted the drivers only, or just a few chips - yes they would charge me the 20 grand.

No sales rep worth their salt is going to not wrap that up in the chip cost at a 100,000 unit order.

Now take those numbers and multiply them by 10. BB bought a million chips for the Priv.
    02-13-17 12:52 PM
    This thread has moved way beyond helping someone get their Android functioning similar to BB10, and on to a topic found numerous places elsewhere on the forum. Time to close'r down.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-13-17 01:05 PM
    This.

Which is what is unique about Android. A million people can have the same phone, and design it a million different ways. The things OP is talking about are completely confusing to me, and we essentially have the same device. Bubbles? Facebook that modifies the OS? I'd be mad too... or probably simply customize the OS.

The biggest gripe I have heard about Android is that is has too MANY options.
    My wife and I both have the Note 5, and they're set up nothing alike.
    Thud Hardsmack and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-17-17 03:35 PM
81 ... 234