On another note: battery life.

I had the phone turned off again last night, letting it charge to absolute full. Woke up and switched it on at 8am. I did a lot of dicking around getting all this BB services running and changing settings, but no phone calls and only a few text messages. I have wifi disabled when the lock screen kicks in. 1pm its at 62%. I have installed a few apps and mostly screwing with settings.

So the battery life is grossly exaggerated. Display is set to almost as dim as it gets (but bright enough to read), bluetooth is off, NFS is off, as previously stated Wifi is disabled whenever the lock screen is kicked in. I think I've sent and received maybe 6 text messages total in and outbound today and about 10 FB messenger messages (bidirectional). No LTE data has been used other than carrier specific stuff - SMS only. I am being woefully careful to nuke apps running in the background other than BB Hub.

They advertised 22 hours of talk time and days on standby. I bet I could pop this puppy on standby and it would barely last a day and god help me if I had more than 6 h on the phone.
    I'm having the same experience with my Dtek50.
    02-12-17 11:25 PM
    I'm sometimes sorry I traded one of my two Z 30s, but I felt I had to try the Dtek50 because it is inevitable that BB10 will not be supported. I am slowly getting used to it, but I find myself picking up the Z30 once in a while and missing it.

The keyboard isn't bad as it is similar to the Z30.
    I find the keyboard now that I have the BB keyboard installed on droid is good. The droid keyboards are god awful, almost as bad as the iphone keyboards.

I went samsung mostly because blackberry doesnt seem to support their products anymore. Instead of building quality and providing killer support they seem to be building semi quality and cutting support to the bone. I for one was really tired of having a premium unlocked quad band worldphone and being told to pay for support when I called with what was definitely a hardware issue. I dont get that crappy of service on my $200 TV, let alone a $800 cell phone.

I love BB but they are going full speed bass ackwards IMO, and they are going to shed customers because of it. Too bad because they built amazingly resilient and good integrated products and software. The Z30 isnt that old of a phone, it was a flagship, yet it's discontinued, there's no more support, and the availability of repair parts is slim to none for OEM and everything costs three times as much.

I needed a mic replaced on my Z10 and a iPhone 6 user needed a mic replaced on his phone. His cost? $25 labor included. My cost $145. And that premium for a phone with zero support, weak app support? The OS is absolutely beautiful but I got tired of being in suckers lane.
    02-12-17 11:32 PM
    crazy idea.....turn the chat heads off
    My switch from BB10 to Android story-screenshot_20170213-003109.png

Oh and it doesnt take over your SMS or anything else unless you tell it to. There is a question when you log into messenger about if you want to use this app for SMS. just say no and done.
    02-12-17 11:34 PM
    crazy idea.....turn the chat heads off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170213-003109.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	417353

Oh and it doesnt take over your SMS or anything else unless you tell it to. There is a question when you log into messenger about if you want to use this app for SMS. just say no and done.
    Simplest answer is almost always best. Problem solved.

ETA: and now I understand what he was talking about. He most likely used Messenger as his system messaging app, right? User error?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-12-17 11:38 PM
    Duplicate post.
    02-12-17 11:40 PM
    I already figured out how to turn chat heads off, and they are disabled.

It enabled them by default and took over my SMS too. I've disabled the sucker for everything but facebook messages already.

Just annoying that this OS lets things hijack features of my phone I would consider somewhat core, like, um, text messages.
    02-12-17 11:49 PM
    I already figured out how to turn chat heads off, and they are disabled.

It enabled them by default and took over my SMS too. I've disabled the sucker for everything but facebook messages already.

Just annoying that this OS lets things hijack features of my phone I would consider somewhat core, like, um, text messages.
    You can use several options to control apps on Android, which makes sense if you use a particular service. Say one uses Hangouts a lot, it's great that you can use Hangouts to manage all messages.

A lot of folks would consider that a feature... unified messaging,
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-12-17 11:56 PM
    Samsung and Facebook, there's your battery life problems.

On a serious note, you don't want to manually force close your apps - when you need them again they completely reload, reconnect, refresh, and redownload any data they dumped when they were closed. The system then needs to devote time, power, CPU cycles, and your data allotment to shuffle apps already in memory and get your app up and running. Just leave them alone and the system will make necessary small adjustments to apps in memory to keep things optimal. As far as keyboards go, if you're going to be giving data to a 3rd party I recommend using Gboard. It has the swiping capability and its predictions are much better than Swiftkey, which drives the BlackBerry keyboard. While I like the BlackBerry vkb more than the rest, I far and away prefer Gboard.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-13-17 12:06 AM
    i checked out cobalts thread.

all I can say is

THANK GOD

if I had more money I'd donate

I have a functional keyboard back. I will check out the other apps later and report back.

Link to his thread http://forums.crackberry.com/android...uired-1059855/
    Good for you! I can report that when I got my new Samsung Galaxy J3 6 V (my temporary VZW device while I wait for Mercury), I went straight to Cobalt's stash beginning with the BlackBerry keyboard, which I've come to love from my Z30 days, and the Hub+ suite. I now enjoy a dark hub experience coupled with a minimalist Z Launcher. On its dock I placed on the lower left a ZenUI Contacts app because of its dark theme, and in between it and the app drawer, voila the Hub. I urge the OP to consider a similar setup.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-13-17 01:01 AM
    Lol. Your lucky. I have been doing my best to remove bubbles almost since the hour I got the SIM working. Only thing left is inside text messages and FB messenger, I can't seem to find anything so far to nuke the bubble look out of those, but I have eliminated most of the other bubbles.
    Save yourself some grief and better battery life by killing all facebook apps. You can do it. Ditch the social media addiction. You lived just fine a decade ago without facebook. You can do it again. If you must truly have facebook, use the website version. It won't kill your battery because it isn't always syncing other people's pictures of foods or their pets.

Personally, I hate social media apps and I hate android. I have one last-resort android phone as backup if my passport dies, if my backup Fire phone dies, if my backup backup Lumia dies, and then only if my Bold 9930 can't save the day, either.

Battery life? My Bold lasts ONE WEEK on casual usage. It isn't dying any time soon.

Heck, I'll boot up a CDMA feature phone first before using android daily again.

That's a pity, too, because the mercury looks like a nice phone.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-13-17 01:10 AM
    every app you open you can only return to select a new app by hitting the back or home button, and it leaves everything you open running - the only way to check what's running is to check by pressing a button. This seems minimal until you realize that in order to get out of an app you now have to click a button then close the app then find the new app - maybe sounds not like a big deal but if your going from checking a text to checking an email its insane. The alternative is to leave it all running, but it's widely documented that this will drain your battery faster.
    Another thing you will notice if switching from BB10 to Android is bloatware. Man, it's amazing how much crap they stuff onto your phone with these things. You may has well have bought a phone stuffed with trialware like PCs of the early 2000s. There are a whack of useless apps, some nifty but useless, some completely unrelated. Oh and Microsoft must have really pulled a good one - you can delete the Office Suite from the phone but it will continue to take up internal memory
    Yes these issues are most annoying. In fact clearing Catch, Force close everything even Message is something one must make habit . And there are so many must have Google Apps you can not remove. Notification is not so good as it is in BB10. Plus you need a Battery saver, A cleaner App. May be an Anti virus. With Z30/BB10 non of these are issue.
    In my case it is Cobalt who made my phone usable, The BlackBerry Manager is great App. Does not integrate 100%, Yahoo Mail is not supported but make phone usable. The official launcher is horrible.
    02-13-17 02:44 AM
    So am I correct in assuming that, if I only require the BlackBerry Keyboard and Password Keeper, I can simply install them from Cobolt's manager without any other processes required?

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    02-13-17 05:40 AM
    "I even called BB and asked if they could sell me a Priv running BB10. Seeing as it's their own hardware and OS, I'm certain it wouldn't be that hard".

I'm certain it would be that hard. Since they already released the phone and everything xD. Since you're not the Pres too.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-13-17 05:47 AM
    So am I correct in assuming that, if I only require the BlackBerry Keyboard and Password Keeper, I can simply install them from Cobolt's manager without any other processes required?

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    Yes
    02-13-17 06:41 AM
    Save yourself some grief and better battery life by killing all facebook apps. You can do it. Ditch the social media addiction. You lived just fine a decade ago without facebook. You can do it again. If you must truly have facebook, use the website version.

Personally, I hate social media apps and I hate android.

Battery life? My Bold lasts ONE WEEK on casual usage. It isn't dying any time soon.

Heck, I'll boot up a CDMA feature phone first before using android daily again.
    I laughed when I read this, especially the last line. My old Curve could last close to a week too - I especially miss that feature where the phone will turn itself off and on at prespecified times. Camping it was brilliant, I'd set the phone to turn itself on for 15 minutes at lunchtime and if I heard it chime I could check if anything important was going on and if not it would just turn itself off. After a 5 day camping trip the sucker was still at 80% battery.

I was using the Facebook on the browser on my Z30, as they killed their app when I had my Z10. Only problem with doing it that way is that your facebook private messages dont end up in your Hub, which is (unfortunately) becoming a nice feature because a lot of people are using that app instead of text messages. Its been annoying having people send me facebook PMs that I did't get for days because I dont check my Facebook messages all the time. Really they should just send me a text instead; but they're getting mixed up with Facebook's hostile takeover of their own phones - once you install that Messenger app it can make it hard not to end up sending the message through them, even by accident and if you have their phone number.

I might end up removing the Messenger app altogether. The standard app is useful when I want to check whats happening, but they stripped the ability to read your private messages out of the app so you would download Messenger. Sneaky SOBs. Want to read that private message? Sure, download Messenger. Download Messenger and we take over your whole phone so you can't tell the difference between a text, phone call, facebook message, or facebook call. Brilliant for them, dumb for the user. Google should release a droid patch to severely restrict that app, or just flag it as a virus.
    02-13-17 09:30 AM
    "I even called BB and asked if they could sell me a Priv running BB10. Seeing as it's their own hardware and OS, I'm certain it wouldn't be that hard".

I'm certain it would be that hard. Since they already released the phone and everything xD. Since you're not the Pres too.
    No, it wouldn't be that hard. For one, they built the hardware handset so they dont have to reverse engineer the chipset. They have all the APIs already. For two, the Z and Q series phones use a lot of the same chips so they already have a codebase. For three, they own the BB10 OS and built it with their own engineers, have the source, so any minor modifications to the QNX could be done by their own engineers. For four, they seemed to have no problem releasing BB10 phones on a variety of chipsets and platforms before the Priv. Finally, for five, it would probably have been a lot more difficult for them given 1-4 to make an Android build than it would be to release another BB10 phone.

I wouldn't doubt if the original Priv protypes and demo models were simply BB10 running Android using their pass-through emulation software.
    02-13-17 09:36 AM

I do sometimes wonder at what point BlackBerry decided to go Android.... What hardware and software was used in the early mockups for the PRIV?

But yeah... as far as we know BlackBerry never paid for drivers for any chipsets other than the S4 and 801. If there are any BB10 powered 808 PRIVs.... we have never seen one. I have no idea if they could "in house" rearrange the components for the Passport to fit into a PRIV's body. But I bet one of those many S4 designs could be made to work.....just would cost you $10K.
    02-13-17 09:47 AM
    Plus you need a Battery saver,
    No you don't.

A cleaner App.
    Nope. Not if you want a clean phone

May be an Anti virus.
    Most definitely not.

If you're not sure about the source of an app you don't install it. It's as simple as that. Just use you're brain, because the Anti virus app isn't any smarter than most of us.
    Last edited by markus2107; 02-13-17 at 10:40 AM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-13-17 10:14 AM
    No, it wouldn't be that hard. For one, they built the hardware handset so they dont have to reverse engineer the chipset. They have all the APIs already. For two, the Z and Q series phones use a lot of the same chips so they already have a codebase. For three, they own the BB10 OS and built it with their own engineers, have the source, so any minor modifications to the QNX could be done by their own engineers. For four, they seemed to have no problem releasing BB10 phones on a variety of chipsets and platforms before the Priv. Finally, for five, it would probably have been a lot more difficult for them given 1-4 to make an Android build than it would be to release another BB10 phone.

I wouldn't doubt if the original Priv protypes and demo models were simply BB10 running Android using their pass-through emulation software.
    Have you seen the quote above my comment? I'm mocking the fact that he believed it was possible they sell him a BB10 Priv. I thought it was obvious but oh well.

Companies release the same phone or tablet with different OS, Ex. Android & Windows. Ex HTC, Huawei (Tablets), Xiaomi (Tablets). So nothing groundbreaking.
    02-13-17 10:28 AM
    Plus you need a Battery saver, A cleaner App. May be an Anti virus.
    Says who? Never used any of that. Still runs as smooth as silk.
    02-13-17 10:30 AM
    The official launcher is horrible.
    I prefer the BlackBerry Android Launcher over any other one out there. Clean, simple, efficient.
    02-13-17 10:31 AM

Nope, it would have been that hard. And no, although they put all the parts of the phone together they don't build the chipset on their own, nor did they release several phones with a variety of chipsets.

They simply don't have the drivers necessary to run any other chipsets beside the ones that are inside their Z/Q line and inside the Classic, which are all about the same Qualcomm chipsets. So besides the Passport they had only one chipset generation. And that's the reason for why they had to put a ~3 year old chipset inside the Classic. They already got all they needed to run the chipset. Drivers for closed chipsets are extremely expensive. So they went with what they already got. They had to cut costs and they did that by not writing new OS10 drivers for several chipsets, going to Foxconn, then by going Android and finally by leaving the whole OS department behind. And today they only make money (instead of burning it) by licensing their BB unique software to other manufacturers.
    02-13-17 10:32 AM
    Companies release the same phone or tablet with different OS, Ex. Android & Windows. Ex HTC, Huawei (Tablets), Xiaomi (Tablets). So nothing groundbreaking.
    Except for Windows, theses are all Linux based OSs. So they share the same (proprietary) driver.

OS10 neither is based on Linux nor on Windows, so here we go.
    02-13-17 10:33 AM
    Drivers for closed chipsets are extremely expensive.
    I dont buy that line for a second. If I were to call Intel, Qualcomm, or any other chipset manufacturer and say I wanted to order 100,000 chips for installation into a new product that I was designing and placed the order, you can bet your balls that the driver information would be coming for free and the chipset manufacturer's engineers would be on call to ensure integration into whatever operating system you happened to be using. It's called sales. If their sales department was so ******** as to charge an extra 10 or 20 thousand for a set of drivers to run their own product then it's time to find a new manufacturer.

That's like buying an HP printer and when you try to hook it up, having them charge you an extra $50 for the Windows driver so you can use it once you unpack it, get it home, and realize it doesn't work.

I know chipsets are not consumer devices like printers, but sales is sales and sales departments selling chipsets are trying to drive more chip sales. If BB wanted help making drivers for the new chip with BB10 so they could dual release a phone, you bet your balls that the manufacturer would be helping them, if they were placing an order for 500,000 chips - like they probably did for the Priv.

I'm guessing that the Priv was originally designed as a BB10 phone. A decision was made to chase Android (probably to try to get people to like the BB10 experience, hence the keyboard and HUB) so they rewrote everything for droid and refused to release the phone on BB10, trying to skin a BB10 feel over Android to gain access to the app ecosystem and drive hardware sales.

You can't tell me that recoding all of the core BB apps for droid is cheaper than getting drivers for another chipset. It must have cost millions to recode all of those apps for droid.
    02-13-17 11:06 AM
    I dont buy that line for a second. If I were to call Intel, Qualcomm, or any other chipset manufacturer and say I wanted to order 100,000 chips for installation into a new product that I was designing and placed the order, you can bet your balls that the driver information would be coming for free and the chipset manufacturer's engineers would be on call to ensure integration into whatever operating system you happened to be using.
    Well, you'd be wrong then.
    02-13-17 11:08 AM
81 1234