Glad ya found it! Wished I could have been of help.
    You were thanks man
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-12-17 12:50 PM
    Have seen some z30s for sale recently, on either eBay or Amazon. Ca

Posted via CB10
    I already bit the bullet, too late now. And as I said BB has really cut support for the phone to the bone so bad it's hard to buy yet another one. Even replacement parts are hard to get, says my cell repair dealer. If BB supported their phones and extended the EOL (end of life) I would have and I almost did despite it.

Now if they released a BB10 Priv, I'd probably turf this thing and buy it in a heartbeat.
    02-12-17 12:52 PM
    I think the responsibility is on BlackBerry for hub integration. As for bloatware, I'm not sure how much that has to do with skins, and how much that is a result of the carrier you choose.
    Carriers, for a good portion of it. Like I get a number of carrier items at initial opening, but my carrier actually allows deletion of them.
    BigBadWulf and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-12-17 12:55 PM
    Anybody play with all the rest of the BB apps in cobalts repository? how do they work together and can you just completely eliminate the droid garbage and only use those apps?

//edit

I tried installing most of them, I found that once the BB manager was installed I could use it to install the apps outside of cobalts load - although there is a subscription fee of about $2. Maybe cobalt hacked that out in his loads but droid is so hapless I could barely try to install them it was easier to go through the manager load cobalt provided.

one thing though - how do I change the text message display from the fugly purple and white and get rid of those ugly floating circles whenever I talk to someone. I have been rifing through settings half the day and havent found anywhere to get rid of that feature. It would be nice if I were a six year old child but come on, I know who I'm talking to I dont need five circles floating around my screen. Whoever implemented that feature must have been on LSD
    Last edited by computerology; 02-12-17 at 01:44 PM.
    02-12-17 01:07 PM
    This might be useful for BB10 users migrating to Android.

Nuke the "chat heads" so you dont feel like your in kindergarten on your phone

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andro...-heads_id70169
    02-12-17 02:16 PM
    This might be useful for BB10 users migrating to Android.

Nuke the "chat heads" so you dont feel like your in kindergarten on your phone

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andro...-heads_id70169
    It just occurred to me (my fault) that you use the stock S7 launcher.

I've always used a third-party option, which streamlines the experience across OEMs.
    BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    02-12-17 02:33 PM
    apparently it is auto installed by facebook so you can send private messages using messenger.

wtf heard of a messaging app that takes over the whole OS.

Someone get these kids at Google some grown up pills, lol
    02-12-17 02:36 PM
    I started with the S-series and left it for good reason. Signal issues caused a hefty amount of battery drain. I can leave my Note 5 off charge and lose 14% over 12 hours, where the S-4 would drop up to 60%, and it drained out a couple of times. My wife could take her phone to work, it was a store down in a 'bowl' of surrounding land, and it would get so hot as it drained out over her 6 hour shift, that she would have to engage Airplane Mode. I always had signal issues down there. S-3 was the same.

However, taking the Note 5, she could work her shift, stream music, play during her break, and still come home with 60-50% battery left. My phone had zero problems, there. From what I've seen, the S-series has always been similar. This is one of the reasons I'm still on my Note 5 after the Note 7 debacle, instead of downgrading to the S. Perhaps this explains the battery issue that you're facing. If your phone gets hot, it's probably signal that's the problem.

My 5 stays cool, even when I'm pushing it.
    BigBadWulf and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-12-17 03:21 PM
    On another note: battery life.

I had the phone turned off again last night, letting it charge to absolute full. Woke up and switched it on at 8am. I did a lot of dicking around getting all this BB services running and changing settings, but no phone calls and only a few text messages. I have wifi disabled when the lock screen kicks in. 1pm its at 62%. I have installed a few apps and mostly screwing with settings.

So the battery life is grossly exaggerated. Display is set to almost as dim as it gets (but bright enough to read), bluetooth is off, NFS is off, as previously stated Wifi is disabled whenever the lock screen is kicked in. I think I've sent and received maybe 6 text messages total in and outbound today and about 10 FB messenger messages (bidirectional). No LTE data has been used other than carrier specific stuff - SMS only. I am being woefully careful to nuke apps running in the background other than BB Hub.

They advertised 22 hours of talk time and days on standby. I bet I could pop this puppy on standby and it would barely last a day and god help me if I had more than 6 h on the phone.
    02-12-17 03:21 PM
    I don't recall any of my BlackBerrys, going back a decade, being produced in Canada. Support certainly could be better. That said, I wouldn't have hesitated buy a DTEK 60 though, had it been available on Verizon.
    My Curve 9320 was made in Canada. It was a tank of a phone. Got signal in the boondocks in the forest in the middle of nowhere when the Samsungs were reading out of service even on the same carrier. It was a while back, but not 10 years.
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-12-17 03:39 PM
    A different launcher is a great idea, though the BlackBerry launcher is decent. I use Nova, but there are a ton to choose from.

Turning off WiFi isn't going to help the battery, if you're home. Turning off LTE probably isn't helping either, unless it's not available. I don't recall you saying how long you've had the S7 set up. The first couple days will always be worse.

I've never installed one app, that adjusted any other setting. Please give us an example, as this makes no sense.

Facebook and Facebook messenger are written by Facebook. Google is not to blame for their maturity level or quality. I don't use either, but assume if asked, someone who does could help you with them.

There are a number of text apps. I use the Verizon message+ that's bloated on my phone, and has an amazing array of options. There are threads recommending other apps.

Again, it seems you need to spend more time learning your phone.
    Thud Hardsmack and markus2107 like this.
    02-12-17 04:58 PM
    The biggest drain on battery I've found with android is Facebook and signal level. Been several builds of facebook that have just hung somehow and destroyed my battery. I've often uninstalled (hate facebook but my wife loves it for pictures of the kids and everything).

As for launchers - my two favorite are action launcher and nova launcher. Lots of customization available to fit your needs.

I've never come close to getting the same battery leveling on android as I have on bb10. It was however slightly better on nougat and some of the additional permission options available were nice as well. Standby definitely improved too.

It'll be a journey but I think once you're familiar it'll be fine. Moving to any os is a bit of a struggle until you familiarize yourself but in the end they all have some pluses.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-12-17 06:24 PM
    Turning off WiFi isn't going to help the battery, if you're home. Turning off LTE probably isn't helping either, unless it's not available. I don't recall you saying how long you've had the S7 set up. The first couple days will always be worse.

I've never installed one app, that adjusted any other setting. Please give us an example, as this makes no sense.

Facebook and Facebook messenger are written by Facebook. Google is not to blame for their maturity level or quality. I don't use either, but assume if asked, someone who does could help you with them.
    Standard logic would dictate that if the Wifi antenna is disabled, it should no longer consume power. I have a setting whereby when the lock screen is engaged, wifi is automatically turned off. LTE signal is not an issue, its almost full bars. Since I've gotten the phone I've been at home so varying signal strength or wifi probing isnt an issue.

As for modifying the whole OS, the Messenger app does. No matter where you are on the phone the circles called "heads" pop up and float around. You can move them around or drag them to the bottom centre where there is an X to get rid of them, but it affects not only facebook messenger threads but SMS and other communication formats as well (although I couldn't name now many or which ones, but email, SMS and Messenger heads pop up, I've gotten rid of it so I can't really test for it).

Right now I'm using the BB launcher, BB keyboard, BB Calendar, and BB Tasks. Bunch of bloatware I cant really seem to get rid of, I've tried about five different ways but most of them dont show up where I can uninstall them. The phone is 32Gb with only 20Gb remaining. 12Gb of OS and bloatware on a phone seems excessive. I'll live.

I finally have the phone in a useable state but god do I ever miss BB10. It seems stupid to have a phone that you have to duck around with for days just to make it useable for someone who isn't a six year old child. I guess that's the target market these days.
    02-12-17 10:09 PM
    OP, if you keep closing apps, that's probably the reason why your battery is draining. Every time you reboot an app, it will reboot from scratch. Whereas if you leave them running, it will just be suspended.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-12-17 10:20 PM
    Sending and receiving on WiFi typically consumes less power, that is why I suggest you leave it on when connected.

Toasts are not a full OS modification, but would be annoying. I don't have any enabled. Disabling them for Facebook is something someone else may be able to help you with. I will say most notification settings are handled through the individual app settings. Check there.

Most bloatware can at least be disabled. IDK what all you have installed, but even with Verizon's infamous bloatware, I have less than 10Gb internal storage used. Still, I wouldn't be overly concerned. That's what an SD card is for. You still have a ton of app/data storage left on the internal.

It's geared to be very customizable, which I consider the opposite of what a 6y/o child would require.
    02-12-17 10:25 PM
    OP, if you keep closing apps, that's probably the reason why your battery is draining. Every time you reboot an app, it will reboot from scratch. Whereas if you leave them running, it will just be suspended.
    Interesting. One would think that having a variety of apps running in the background that you arent using would consume more power. I've read about this in a few places when I was searching for extending the battery life in BB10 and bumped into posts mentioning droid. Facebook in particular is one that keeps reopening, it seems like almost everything is opening either facebook messenger or chrome.

Odd that Google would allow these kind of hooks, seeing as they are somewhat competitors, it sometimes feels like the two are fighting over control of my phone since moving to droid
    02-12-17 10:38 PM
    It's geared to be very customizable, which I consider the opposite of what a 6y/o child would require.
    The UI of android just screams out to me "six year old gets to play on daddy's phone". Sorry if I have to agree to disagree, but popping bubbles with peoples faces up that I can drag around because I received a message from them seems to me like using a phone with a Crayola crayon marker. The fuscia default text message theme doesn't exactly undo that perception either, although that may be Samsung's fault. Did the designers of android ever see a hard edge that they liked? Everything is bubbles.

"Square Lives Matter". LOL thought I'd throw that in as a funny. Not everything can be circles or rounded rectangles.
    02-12-17 10:41 PM
    I wish I could relate, but I have zero bubbles on my phone.
    02-12-17 10:44 PM
    Interesting. One would think that having a variety of apps running in the background that you arent using would consume more power. I've read about this in a few places when I was searching for extending the battery life in BB10 and bumped into posts mentioning droid. Facebook in particular is one that keeps reopening, it seems like almost everything is opening either facebook messenger or chrome.

Odd that Google would allow these kind of hooks, seeing as they are somewhat competitors, it sometimes feels like the two are fighting over control of my phone since moving to droid
    Android is different from other OSes in that it takes care of the background processes itself. That's why Android veterans eschew task killers.

Facebook is an invasive app (IMHO) on most platforms. I don't use the app.
    02-12-17 10:47 PM
    Lol. Your lucky. I have been doing my best to remove bubbles almost since the hour I got the SIM working. Only thing left is inside text messages and FB messenger, I can't seem to find anything so far to nuke the bubble look out of those, but I have eliminated most of the other bubbles.
    02-12-17 10:50 PM
    This.

Which is what is unique about Android. A million people can have the same phone, and design it a million different ways. The things OP is talking about are completely confusing to me, and we essentially have the same device. Bubbles? Facebook that modifies the OS? I'd be mad too... or probably simply customize the OS.

The biggest gripe I have heard about Android is that is has too MANY options.
    BigBadWulf and BergerKing like this.
    02-12-17 10:52 PM
    Android is different from other OSes in that it takes care of the background processes itself. That's why Android veterans eschew task killers.

Facebook is an invasive app (IMHO) on most platforms. I don't use the app.
    Unfortunately FB is a necessary evil for me. I wish I could just use FB messenger for just FB messages, or just use the standard FB app for facebook only messages, but in order to receive a private message it forced me to download and install messenger, which as you say is horrifically invasive - it tried to take over my SMS and email threading too. No wonder they killed the BB10 app support, they are trying to rebuild the same thing as HUB, only on the sly.

How many background applications do you tend to run? You are suggesting that just leaving everything that I use open and running without killing the tasks will increase battery life? Wouldnt this reduce available RAM and add extra CPU load, therefore draining battery?
    02-12-17 10:54 PM

Check that out. Good god. The fact that someone loves this blows my mind. Unlike in the video, the Messenger app just takes over by default all your messaging and installs the skin and basically takes over your phone.

I might be having a different experience seeing as I am just setting up a new phone, so all of these "features" are either preinstalled or installed on the first installation of the most popular apps. I havent installed anything weird, only facebook and BB features to get the HUB and the keyboard.
    02-12-17 11:02 PM
    Unfortunately FB is a necessary evil for me. I wish I could just use FB messenger for just FB messages, or just use the standard FB app for facebook only messages, but in order to receive a private message it forced me to download and install messenger, which as you say is horrifically invasive - it tried to take over my SMS and email threading too. No wonder they killed the BB10 app support, they are trying to rebuild the same thing as HUB, only on the sly.

How many background applications do you tend to run? You are suggesting that just leaving everything that I use open and running without killing the tasks will increase battery life? Wouldnt this reduce available RAM and add extra CPU load, therefore draining battery?
    Some background... I have almost always rooted every Android device I used, except for my current daily driver, the S7e. When I started dabbling in Android, the whole background process thing was illogical.

But yes, in my experience, it's better to let the OS do its thing.

Currently sitting on 773 MB of free RAM (fluctuates) and 25 apps in the background. No performance issues. 1 Day 12h 40min on battery.

One thing I miss from my root days is the ability to get rid of the bloatware and rarely used apps. I usually manage a lean device; I used to have a root-only app that allowed me to remove and restore apps on the fly. SO, now I have my grocery store app all the time; I used to delete it and restore only when at the store.

I am not rooted now because I use Samsung pay, and even then, with all the spare apps, the device doesn't stutter. I freeze everything that won't come off.

And I do dislike the Facebook app. I refuse to use Messenger, and just use the website.
    BigBadWulf and OTCHRussell like this.
    02-12-17 11:14 PM
    I'm sometimes sorry I traded one of my two Z 30s, but I felt I had to try the Dtek50 because it is inevitable that BB10 will not be supported. I am slowly getting used to it, but I find myself picking up the Z30 once in a while and missing it.

The keyboard isn't bad as it is similar to the Z30.
    02-12-17 11:17 PM
81 1234