Figured I'd post this because I'm sure there are a bunch of CB users who are, have already, or are looking at the foreboding future. Full disclosure: I love BB10. It was the best OS I've ever seen. I think that BB was completeliy idiotic in not allowing dual versions of the Priv and other phones and restricting to Android only. I even called BB and asked if they could sell me a Priv running BB10. Seeing as it's their own hardware and OS, I'm certain it wouldn't be that hard. But I digress. This post is about my experience, and what a BB10 user will experience making the switch.

After spilling milk, and then vodka and juice, onto my beloved Z30, toasting first the main mic, and then something to do with the battery, I was faced with either getting the sucker repaired (and who knows how many noise cancellation mics were toasted, plus the water damage) or buying a new phone. It just made more sense to get a new phone. Luckily almost everything was on a SD card, pictures, etc. I also regularly copied things off my BB onto my computer so my data loss was minimal.

Given BlackBerry's god awful support of their phones as of late, high relative price, and low carrier support, I chose a Samsung Galaxy S7, pretty well a top of the line droid phone and very current. I don't usually buy older or late models because I'm willing to spend the money for something that will last me a long time; I always buy a case and screen protector the moment I buy a phone and usually my phones are in mint condition when I retire them. Obviously my poor Z30 not so much. I did look for replacement Z30s in the used market, but they were all either partly damaged or too expensive or locked or some combination thereof.

The S7 Galaxy is a very sexy phone. Nice and thin, beautiful display, "supposedly" long battery life.

First thing I noticed was how god awful Android as an OS is. Going between checking your email and checking your texts and checking your facebook or whatever else is a riddying maze of clicks and opening different apps. Making matters even worse, every app you open you can only return to select a new app by hitting the back or home button, and it leaves everything you open running - the only way to check what's running is to check by pressing a button. This seems minimal until you realize that in order to get out of an app you now have to click a button then close the app then find the new app - maybe sounds not like a big deal but if your going from checking a text to checking an email its insane. The alternative is to leave it all running, but it's widely documented that this will drain your battery faster. God talk about longing for the Blackberry hub from the first few minutes after I got the phone set up.

Next thing I noticed was the keyboard. iOS has a bad keyboard, and Android is no different. Once you are used to the BB predictive text with the thumb swipes its really difficult to go back. Plus the BB keyboard was much better at guessing what letter or number you were targeting even if you slightly missed. Man I have never entered my password wrong so many times in a row as I had on this clunky POS softkeyboard. I had read all over the place from droid fanboys that the BB keyboard wasnt as great as it was made out to be, that SwiftKey was basically the same. I'll give you a hint: It's not. At all. Its prediction might be almost as good or better than the BB, it's hard to tell because the stupid prediction is in a bar above the keyboard so by the time you notice it's predicted what your going to write your almost done and the prediction was useless. So much for that.

I did mange to download Blackberry HUB as an app from the playstore. Thank god. The integration isnt nearly as good as BB10 and it seems to cross open to a bunch of native droid apps but light years better than the smattering of muck called Android for tracking your messages. The Blackberry keyboard is available as a download, but it is not "compatible" with my device. Perhaps it's restricted to BB devices, because I have a top of the line Android device with the latest OS. Too bad. I'd have paid for it for god sakes.

Next (Samsung specific) is the KNOX software. It is the enhanced security like Blend. But it's not really that useful, it's almost like an OS inside an OS, and you can't drag and drop applications inside to outside or visa versa. Hence I dutifully manually added all of my contacts inside KNOX only to realize that none of my contacts would appear outside of KNOX. Oddly enough, if I send a text from inside KNOX, it warns me that it is opening something outside of KNOX and opens the messaging app outside of KNOX and forgets who I was contacting. It seems like a half baked version of security, honestly unless you need encrypted data firewalled off from the rest of your phone your better off not using it. I might just re-key in all my contacts into the regular app; it's useless to have to open an app to open a contact only to open an app that isnt inside the app you opened to contact the person in the first place.

Finally, battery life. Forget about it. The S7 boasts a big battery, Super-AMOLED screen, power saving features, blablabla. It's all a lie. I turned the phone off (first day owning it) let it charge to absolutely full, booted it up, and left it on my kitchen table (weekend). Other than a quick check of a few messages I did nothing with the thing. In an hour it lost 7% - and I was being woefully careful about not allowing background apps to run - the only thing running was Hub. In two hours it was down to 85%. I've made one phone call that lasted 25 minutes, sent a few text messages, deleted a few emails.... and the phone is down to 50%. It's almost like the thing is on a timer to force me to recharge every night. My Z30 would last for more than 3 days at this level of usage. This might get better as I let the phone run down to dying on it's own and the software conditions itself to the battery, but a brand new battery on a brand new phone with practically no downloaded apps and barely using it, losing half your battery in 12 hours doesn't strike me as great battery life - at least coming from being a blackberry user.

Now I'm not blaming Samsung. This is really a beautiful phone. I am blaming the POS that is called Android as an OS. If it was running a good OS like BB10 it would probably be the phone of dreams.

Another thing you will notice if switching from BB10 to Android is bloatware. Man, it's amazing how much crap they stuff onto your phone with these things. You may has well have bought a phone stuffed with trialware like PCs of the early 2000s. There are a whack of useless apps, some nifty but useless, some completely unrelated. Oh and Microsoft must have really pulled a good one - you can delete the Office Suite from the phone but it will continue to take up internal memory anyway; or so I have read.

I would have never made the leap if I could have bought a new or replacement BB10 device. Blackberry forced my hand (as insane as that is, a company refusing to sell you the product you want). If you are considering it and your phone is working fine, I'd recommend hold onto that thing as long as you can, provided having a million versions of solitaire apps isn't important to you. If apps were really important to you you probably would have switched anyway.

If you end up making the switch from BB10, expect for a frustrating experience, especially at first. Getting used to a new OS is never fun, but Android has no flow at all, and everything takes 2-7 clicks plus gestures if not more, even right down to checking an email. Android (at least my version) also has the astoundingly annoying "feature" of putting up a circle for each person who has texted me, occluding part of the screen, and I have to drag it down to an X at the bottom to get rid of it. I forsee spending quite a few hours trying to get rid of a bunch of "features" and reorganizing things over time to make the phone smoother. Android has absolutely no flow to it at all. I'd call Android the MSDOS of phone operating systems. Sometimes it even looks like MSDOS, despite Samsung's great efforts to make it look more sexy, and they have done one heck of a job.

If I could sideload BB10 onto this puppy, I'd gladly pay $150 for the installer CD and take the risk of bricking the phone. Beautiful phone, OS is horrid.
    rt2567 and stlabrat like this.
    02-11-17 10:18 PM
    I don't know who your carrier is, but many have refurbished Z30s relatively cheap. The GooBerry Priv and DTEK are also good options. The Pixel and Moto both running pure Android might have been better options than Samsung.

Mostly though, it seems you need more time, learning how to properly set up and use your phone. Cobalt has a thread on installing the BlackBerry VKB. That may help a lot. The hub works darn well on my Moto. All my default apps sync, open and close seamlessly, without issue. It flows seamlessly from app to app too. Closing apps? Press the switcher (square button), and swipe them either direction. Battery life? Overnight I drop 5%, and under heavy use like today:

My switch from BB10 to Android story-tmp_19592-screenshot_20170211-233351413898331.jpg

That never would be possible on my Z30, especially considering the amount of camera and browser use I had.

There are a lot of choices in Android, all unique in their experience. There are also a wealth of options to set, and apps to decide on. The learning curve may be steep for some, but in time, you can have it functioning quite like BB10. If I couldn't have, I'd still be using my Z30.
    02-11-17 11:56 PM
    I've used both os's pretty extensively and I'll agree to a point that it's maybe not as fluid for someone coming from bb10.

It does get easier as you go and learn how everything works but there are a few things that are definitely irritating and not like the bb10 os that we love.

Thanks for the writeup as I'm sure there are several others just like you.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-17 12:05 AM
    I'm fairly tech agnostic, so my perspective will be a bit different. I remember wondering why folks were confused by BB10, but as already noted, we like stuff we're used to. I use several devices, and frankly, you're experience had me lost -- and my daily driver is an S7e!

Which goes to show (as BigBadWulf notes) the varied nature of Android. We have the same device, but have very different experiences. Your battery stats are different. I find the BlackBerry keyboard (and every other one, to be fair) horrific compared to cloud-supported Swype. And so on. Different strokes...

I agree with Wulf: if you are trying to replicate BB10, Android gives you a good chance of accomplishing that. He nailed it with regards to checking out a stock-ish Android device, as Samsung is arguably the OEM with the heaviest skin; Samsung deliberately creates its very own experience within Android.

I suspect you'll be happier on a replacement Z30, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    02-12-17 12:58 AM
    Thanks for that write up OP. I've got to change shortly and have done quite a lot of research already. It seems that "keep away from Samsung " is the moral of the story.

I know it's going to be a very long leaning curve for me, but hey ho.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    BigBadWulf and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-12-17 07:24 AM
    Thanks for that write up OP. I've got to change shortly and have done quite a lot of research already. It seems that "keep away from Samsung " is the moral of the story.

I wouldn't say stay away. I know a lot of people who love Sammy's take on Android. It wasn't what I preferred. I don't know enough to say whether it could bring a BB10 experience or not.

I do know, whatever you choose, like me, you can find a lot of help from some great peeps here, selecting and setting up a new phone. I'd have been lost, without their guidance.

PS - You may find yourself surprised, how easy a transition from BB10 to Android will be, unlike BBOS to BB10.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-12-17 07:44 AM
    Sounds like you need to try BlackDroid DTek60 or Priv or Merc to enjoy BlackBerry experience on Android.
    02-12-17 08:02 AM
    Figured I'd post this because I'm sure there are a bunch of CB users who are, have already, or are looking at the foreboding future. Full disclosure: I love BB10. It was the best OS I've ever seen. I think that BB was completeliy idiotic in not allowing dual versions of the Priv and other phones and restricting to Android only. I even called BB and asked if they could sell me a Priv running BB10. Seeing as it's their own hardware and OS, I'm certain it wouldn't be that hard. But I digress. This post is about my experience, and what a BB10 user will experience making the switch.

After spilling milk, and then vodka and juice, onto my beloved Z30, toasting first the main mic, and then something to do with the battery, I was faced with either getting the sucker repaired (and who knows how many noise cancellation mics were toasted, plus the water damage) or buying a new phone. It just made more sense to get a new phone. Luckily almost everything was on a SD card, pictures, etc. I also regularly copied things off my BB onto my computer so my data loss was minimal.

Given BlackBerry's god awful support of their phones as of late, high relative price, and low carrier support, I chose a Samsung Galaxy S7, pretty well a top of the line droid phone and very current. I don't usually buy older or late models because I'm willing to spend the money for something that will last me a long time; I always buy a case and screen protector the moment I buy a phone and usually my phones are in mint condition when I retire them. Obviously my poor Z30 not so much. I did look for replacement Z30s in the used market, but they were all either partly damaged or too expensive or locked or some combination thereof.

The S7 Galaxy is a very sexy phone. Nice and thin, beautiful display, "supposedly" long battery life.

First thing I noticed was how god awful Android as an OS is. Going between checking your email and checking your texts and checking your facebook or whatever else is a riddying maze of clicks and opening different apps. Making matters even worse, every app you open you can only return to select a new app by hitting the back or home button, and it leaves everything you open running - the only way to check what's running is to check by pressing a button. This seems minimal until you realize that in order to get out of an app you now have to click a button then close the app then find the new app - maybe sounds not like a big deal but if your going from checking a text to checking an email its insane. The alternative is to leave it all running, but it's widely documented that this will drain your battery faster. God talk about longing for the Blackberry hub from the first few minutes after I got the phone set up.

Next thing I noticed was the keyboard. iOS has a bad keyboard, and Android is no different. Once you are used to the BB predictive text with the thumb swipes its really difficult to go back. Plus the BB keyboard was much better at guessing what letter or number you were targeting even if you slightly missed. Man I have never entered my password wrong so many times in a row as I had on this clunky POS softkeyboard. I had read all over the place from droid fanboys that the BB keyboard wasnt as great as it was made out to be, that SwiftKey was basically the same. I'll give you a hint: It's not. At all. Its prediction might be almost as good or better than the BB, it's hard to tell because the stupid prediction is in a bar above the keyboard so by the time you notice it's predicted what your going to write your almost done and the prediction was useless. So much for that.

I did mange to download Blackberry HUB as an app from the playstore. Thank god. The integration isnt nearly as good as BB10 and it seems to cross open to a bunch of native droid apps but light years better than the smattering of muck called Android for tracking your messages. The Blackberry keyboard is available as a download, but it is not "compatible" with my device. Perhaps it's restricted to BB devices, because I have a top of the line Android device with the latest OS. Too bad. I'd have paid for it for god sakes.

Next (Samsung specific) is the KNOX software. It is the enhanced security like Blend. But it's not really that useful, it's almost like an OS inside an OS, and you can't drag and drop applications inside to outside or visa versa. Hence I dutifully manually added all of my contacts inside KNOX only to realize that none of my contacts would appear outside of KNOX. Oddly enough, if I send a text from inside KNOX, it warns me that it is opening something outside of KNOX and opens the messaging app outside of KNOX and forgets who I was contacting. It seems like a half baked version of security, honestly unless you need encrypted data firewalled off from the rest of your phone your better off not using it. I might just re-key in all my contacts into the regular app; it's useless to have to open an app to open a contact only to open an app that isnt inside the app you opened to contact the person in the first place.

Finally, battery life. Forget about it. The S7 boasts a big battery, Super-AMOLED screen, power saving features, blablabla. It's all a lie. I turned the phone off (first day owning it) let it charge to absolutely full, booted it up, and left it on my kitchen table (weekend). Other than a quick check of a few messages I did nothing with the thing. In an hour it lost 7% - and I was being woefully careful about not allowing background apps to run - the only thing running was Hub. In two hours it was down to 85%. I've made one phone call that lasted 25 minutes, sent a few text messages, deleted a few emails.... and the phone is down to 50%. It's almost like the thing is on a timer to force me to recharge every night. My Z30 would last for more than 3 days at this level of usage. This might get better as I let the phone run down to dying on it's own and the software conditions itself to the battery, but a brand new battery on a brand new phone with practically no downloaded apps and barely using it, losing half your battery in 12 hours doesn't strike me as great battery life - at least coming from being a blackberry user.

Now I'm not blaming Samsung. This is really a beautiful phone. I am blaming the POS that is called Android as an OS. If it was running a good OS like BB10 it would probably be the phone of dreams.

Another thing you will notice if switching from BB10 to Android is bloatware. Man, it's amazing how much crap they stuff onto your phone with these things. You may has well have bought a phone stuffed with trialware like PCs of the early 2000s. There are a whack of useless apps, some nifty but useless, some completely unrelated. Oh and Microsoft must have really pulled a good one - you can delete the Office Suite from the phone but it will continue to take up internal memory anyway; or so I have read.

I would have never made the leap if I could have bought a new or replacement BB10 device. Blackberry forced my hand (as insane as that is, a company refusing to sell you the product you want). If you are considering it and your phone is working fine, I'd recommend hold onto that thing as long as you can, provided having a million versions of solitaire apps isn't important to you. If apps were really important to you you probably would have switched anyway.

If you end up making the switch from BB10, expect for a frustrating experience, especially at first. Getting used to a new OS is never fun, but Android has no flow at all, and everything takes 2-7 clicks plus gestures if not more, even right down to checking an email. Android (at least my version) also has the astoundingly annoying "feature" of putting up a circle for each person who has texted me, occluding part of the screen, and I have to drag it down to an X at the bottom to get rid of it. I forsee spending quite a few hours trying to get rid of a bunch of "features" and reorganizing things over time to make the phone smoother. Android has absolutely no flow to it at all. I'd call Android the MSDOS of phone operating systems. Sometimes it even looks like MSDOS, despite Samsung's great efforts to make it look more sexy, and they have done one heck of a job.

If I could sideload BB10 onto this puppy, I'd gladly pay $150 for the installer CD and take the risk of bricking the phone. Beautiful phone, OS is horrid.
    Very well said

Posted via CB10
    computerology likes this.
    02-12-17 08:17 AM
    My fiancee and stepdaughter both had Galaxy phones. One replaced hers with a Nexus 6P, one with an iPhone. Both love their new phones a lot more than the old ones. Honestly Samsung really is to blame for a lot of the UI issues and bloatware. A "slim" android phone, such as Nexus or BlackBerry, will be a lot less frustrating to use.

Even stock Android isn't as intuitive as bB10, but it's never as messy as the OEM skins on a lot of brand name phones. I don't want Google to buy BlackBerry, but I would like for them to work closely on better hub integration so that one day the Android hub will be as good as the BB10 version.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-12-17 08:56 AM
    My fiancee and stepdaughter both had Galaxy phones. One replaced hers with a Nexus 6P, one with an iPhone. Both love their new phones a lot more than the old ones. Honestly Samsung really is to blame for a lot of the UI issues and bloatware. A "slim" android phone, such as Nexus or BlackBerry, will be a lot less frustrating to use.

Even stock Android isn't as intuitive as bB10, but it's never as messy as the OEM skins on a lot of brand name phones. I don't want Google to buy BlackBerry, but I would like for them to work closely on better hub integration so that one day the Android hub will be as good as the BB10 version.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    I think the responsibility is on BlackBerry for hub integration. As for bloatware, I'm not sure how much that has to do with skins, and how much that is a result of the carrier you choose.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-12-17 09:10 AM
    I just came back to BB10 from a DTEK. I will second your observations about android. I have tried android several times and it just doesn't work.

The chendroid hub is a pale shadow of the one in BB10 with poor integration. One example...I can change the font size in settings on BB10 and it affects how the hub looks.

I am going to stay with bb10 as long as possible and after that just go to a feature phone.
    rt2567, computerology and stlabrat like this.
    02-12-17 10:13 AM
    what is the keyboard experience of Swype ? I totally need a better keyboard. I have tried SwiftKey and the default Samsung one and TBH the BB keyboard rocks them so bad it's painful to type, I need to find something better
    02-12-17 10:38 AM
    what is the keyboard experience of Swype ? I totally need a better keyboard. I have tried SwiftKey and the default Samsung one and TBH the BB keyboard rocks them so bad it's painful to type, I need to find something better
    You can install BlackBerry keyboard, download from Cobalt's thread

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno, jaydee5799 and Mecca EL like this.
    02-12-17 10:41 AM
    As I said...

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...uired-1059855/
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-12-17 10:41 AM
    This is a reply; It didn't quote the user above who told me to get a PRIV or DTek

Unfortunately I dont want to buy a PRIV or a BB phone. The support is horrid and the EOS and EOL seems to be counted in seconds. If they ever recommitted themselves to their devices I'd jump back in a heartbeat, but when you call BB with a major hardware issue (ie. my Playbook battery was "too low of a charge to charge") they refused any technical support. WTH is that.

Honestly I think that BB's major problems started when they stopped making their phones in Canada and switched production to Mexico to cut costs. Correlation doesn't determine causation, but around that time BB went from cream of the crop to bottom of the heap, perhaps a bunch of company wide corporate decisions. They should have cut the fat and made it their mission to create the best quality phones on the market with the best support and service, instead they kept the premium price and cut everything else to the bone. I dont know if it was Heins or Chen who called that shot, but it really missed the mark for me. I was a loyal and dedicated BB user to the very end, and as said in my OP I was even shopping the used market for yet another Z30 so I could stick with BB10. I'm the diametric opposite of a BB hater or droid fanboy.
    02-12-17 10:50 AM
    I don't recall any of my BlackBerrys, going back a decade, being produced in Canada. Support certainly could be better. That said, I wouldn't have hesitated buy a DTEK 60 though, had it been available on Verizon.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-12-17 10:58 AM
    I checked out Swype ... not what I'm looking for
    02-12-17 11:03 AM

The Samsung S7 is a beautiful phone. As I said its the OS that blows and despite skinning by the manufacturer its basically the OS that blows.

A nice writeup might be a "how to make your droid more like a blackberry" pinned somewhere.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-12-17 11:05 AM
    You can install BlackBerry keyboard, download from Cobalt's thread

Posted via CB10
    I tried installing it a few different ways. Could you pop me a link to Cobalt's thread? I'd love to get my (functional) keyboard back! :-)
    02-12-17 11:06 AM
    I tried installing it a few different ways. Could you pop me a link to Cobalt's thread? I'd love to get my (functional) keyboard back! :-)
    Above, bigbadwulf has posted the link

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    02-12-17 11:17 AM
    I checked out Swype ... not what I'm looking for
    The link is to the BlackBerry VKB, made available thanks to Cobalt.
    BergerKing and Mecca EL like this.
    02-12-17 11:19 AM
    i checked out cobalts thread.

all I can say is

THANK GOD

if I had more money I'd donate

I have a functional keyboard back. I will check out the other apps later and report back.

Link to his thread http://forums.crackberry.com/android...uired-1059855/
    stlabrat and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-12-17 11:22 AM
    Glad ya found it! Wished I could have been of help.
    02-12-17 11:25 AM
    The Samsung S7 is a beautiful phone. As I said its the OS that blows and despite skinning by the manufacturer its basically the OS that blows.

A nice writeup might be a "how to make your droid more like a blackberry" pinned somewhere.
    As I have told others that say BB10/iOS/WinPhone sucks, it's tough to enjoy a device when you have such a strong dislike for the base operating system. I'm not questioning your dislike for it -- that's fine -- just saying that if you can't stomach it, you should get what you like.
    02-12-17 11:32 AM
    Have seen some z30s for sale recently, on either eBay or Amazon. Ca

Posted via CB10
    02-12-17 12:38 PM
81 123 ...