Question - Can BlackBerry open a "BlackBerry Android store " in conjunction with but separate from their native apps store ? Developers could port their Android apps there ? Is this feasible ? My apology if this idea has been commented on before.
    Interesting idea, and one I haven't seen here either. There should be no reason they couldn't, as thisr parties are plenty welcome to do so. (Ex. Amazon)
    11-27-13 01:31 PM
    Question - Can BlackBerry open a "BlackBerry Android store " in conjunction with but separate from their native apps store ? Developers could port their Android apps there ? Is this feasible ? My apology if this idea has been commented on before.
    but developers can just port their android apps to blackberry world. why have 2 when it can already be done in the one that exists.???
    11-27-13 02:27 PM
    but developers can just port their android apps to blackberry world. why have 2 when it can already be done in the one that exists.???
    Dev's don't seem to be that interested in porting their apps. If The company is going to push Android apps as closing the gap, they need an official channel somewhere.
    11-27-13 02:50 PM
    Dev's don't seem to be that interested in porting their apps. If The company is going to push Android apps as closing the gap, they need an official channel somewhere.
    if devs are not too bothered, having a separate android channel wont help imo. remember, 1 channel and amazon are places where the Apk's exist already.
    11-27-13 03:00 PM
    if devs are not too bothered, having a separate android channel wont help imo. remember, 1 channel and amazon are places where the Apk's exist already.
    It would still be simpler.

Personally I think an official agreement with the Amazon store so it could come preloaded would be the best option if they are planning to go full force with Android apps.
    amjass12 likes this.
    11-27-13 04:00 PM
    I get this error when I can finally get the app to open without crashing instantly. Usually after 5-6 tries it will open, but since I can't register it (gives a network error) it's useless.

Netflix from amazon crashes instantly, but Netflix from another source works fine. Same apk? Makes zero sense unless something has been modified at some point.

I strongly suggest not entering any personal info into any APK's until this gets sorted out. Attachment 224292
    Oh baby there ain't no way in Satan's hometown that I would ever put ANY personal information into ANY APK.

I think Thunderbuck nailed it....doing so is the technological equivalent of unprotected sex.
    h20work and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    11-27-13 04:19 PM
    It would still be simpler.

Personally I think an official agreement with the Amazon store so it could come preloaded would be the best option if they are planning to go full force with Android apps.

One advantage of having an official BlackBerry Android store is to associate in the public's mind the ability to run android apps. Secondly, why should not any revenue that might accrue from the android store be BlackBerry's ?

The "wink wink nod nod" app download system does not cut it in the market place.
    11-27-13 06:49 PM
    One advantage of having an official BlackBerry Android store is to associate in the public's mind the ability to run android apps. Secondly, why should not any revenue that might accrue from the android store be BlackBerry's ?

The "wink wink nod nod" app download system does not cut it in the market place.
    I wouldn't disagree...
    11-27-13 06:55 PM

True, but Amazon is already established. If BB starts their own from scratch, they're still behind.
    11-27-13 08:37 PM
    True, but Amazon is already established. If BB starts their own from scratch, they're still behind.
    Last post by me , BUT:
    Amazon says that the Appstore isn’t officially supported on any BB device but “if you are getting the service please enjoy it.” Furthermore, the company also says that by using Appstore, BB users are not violating any law. However, it users run into issues with the app, they will have to contact the developer directly as the Appstore can not intervene due to lack of official support.

Presumably a BB android app store could deal with BB10/android app issues for those apps that the developer loads into their store.
    11-27-13 08:57 PM
    Last post by me , BUT:
    Amazon says that the Appstore isn’t officially supported on any BB device but “if you are getting the service please enjoy it.” Furthermore, the company also says that by using Appstore, BB users are not violating any law. However, it users run into issues with the app, they will have to contact the developer directly as the Appstore can not intervene due to lack of official support.

Presumably a BB android app store could deal with BB10/android app issues for those apps that the developer loads into their store.
    Which is why I said that Amazon would be ideal with an official agreement for its use and support.

If BB starts a new market, they still face the challenge of gettnig dev's to submit thair apps for sale on it. Using the Amazon store wouldn't have that issue.

Regardless, either option is crappy, IMO. Using Android apps to fill the gap is a poor solution, and doesn't even meet the needs of all BB10 users, since many wont work on the Q series. They should be working like MS does with WP8 to get native apps going.
    11-27-13 09:33 PM
    I don't see why they couldn't create a separate section in BlackBerry World specifically for APKs. That way, devs don't even have to go through the repackaging process.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 09:47 PM
    I don't see why they couldn't create a separate section in BlackBerry World specifically for APKs. That way, devs don't even have to go through the repackaging process.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds like a great idea!

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 07:50 AM
263 ... 91011