Over the last year I have owned a Z10, and iPhone 5S, and an HTC One. Because of the poor battery life I've gotten with the Z10 I've always kept my iPhone 5S with me and used it for work and occasionally used the One just for fun. Recently I purchased an unlocked Z30. I had to get the unlocked version because AT&T obviously doesn't offer the Z30.

Initially I was skeptical about not having LTE with AT&T but over the past week I've found that I really don't see much of a difference with 4G vs LTE with the Z30 which is great. I don't know if it's just the power of the phone, but 4G with the Z30 is night and day faster for me then when I use 4G only with the iPhone, which has been really great.

Because of the great battery life I've heard of others getting with the Z30 I decided to get one, and completely shut off the iPhone and not use the HTC One at all for the past week.

First let me say that the Z30 is a fantastic device. The battery life is stellar and with the newest leak loaded I'm really enjoying the experience of the phone. For me, with large hands I really enjoy the keyboard even more now and even talked our IT department into letting me hook it up to our server so that I can use it for work exclusively. The speakers are phenomenal and nearly as good as the One, and the overall build quality is really great.

But here's where some problems come into play. No one I know has a Blackberry and nearly everyone has an iPhone. Nearly our entire sales force has iPhones as well, as well as the majority of the clinicians that I work with. When I first got the Z30 I turned off imessage on my iPhone and went to the Apple site and unregistered my device. Even after doing that I have gotten calls all week from people asking me why I haven't responded to their texts. I've missed so many of them because they are still being sent as imessages and I really don't know how to do a permanent fix for this. The only thing that seems to fix it is to tell them to go to their settings and change their message settings to send as sms if imessage is unavailable. Obviously I can't call everyone I know to tell them to do that so I don't know how many other messages I've missed. This really presents a problem for me and I don't know if I'm going to be able to use the phone exclusively as a result of this.

Secondly the problem is obviously apps. I've always piggybacked off of the iPhone for whatever apps I've needed but not having a lot of them has been somewhat eye opening. I do have Snap, but the apps I've downloaded are slower on the Z30 and trying to add tasks or calendar events through one of those apps just doesn't work. We use Salesforce a lot and I haven't been able to figure out how to add an event or task to my calendar, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Also I miss not having Google Maps or the Garmin app on the iPhone. BlackBerry Maps isn't bad, but not as full as Google maps or my Garmin app. I downloaded Google Maps off of snap but not being able to save my locations makes it less than ideal.

The app situation isn't a deal breaker by any means, but the imessage situation really does make it difficult to use this phone exclusively. I fear a lot of people have had this similar problem and have most likely gone back to their iPhone simply because they don't want to deal with this hassle.

Just a few of my experiences. I really do love this phone, but the messaging problem is a real pain. Feel free to flame me if you want, I can take it.
    m1kr0, RedFoxOne and vrud like this.
    01-18-14 08:23 AM
    Your messaging problem is not a problem with the Z30. It is possible your phone # has not been disconnected from iMessage. If it was also not coming through from Android users then you have a problem and it is most likely with your carrier.

From Apple support forums:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
    Click on "Edit Products"
    Click on the "X" to the right of the product.
    Click "Unregister"
    01-18-14 08:30 AM
    I realize and never said that it's not a problem with the Z30. And I have already unregistered my phone and it still didn't fix the problem. I can get messages from Android phones just fine as I've tested sending them from my HTC One.
    01-18-14 08:35 AM
    If you have the latest leak then you can load just about any android apk and it will work. I can personally say apps like candy crush, netflix, flixster, nexia all work great. Like native IMO

Do you happen to have an ipad or mac still logged into imessage somewhere? When I used to use an iphone and would switch back and forth between another phone - if someone would imessage me it would fail to deliver if I had imessage switched off. They would then know to resend as a text. Not sure why it is different for different people.
    01-18-14 08:39 AM
    Interesting with the iMessage part. When I switched to my Galaxy Nexus from my iPhone 4 that happened as well. Removing my number from apples site did help right away though. Have you tried calling them?
    01-18-14 08:40 AM
    Well if it is only a problem with apple devices then it has not been disconnected yet. It doesn't make much sense otherwise. Good luck.
    01-18-14 08:40 AM
    If you have the latest leak then you can load just about any android apk and it will work. I can personally say apps like candy crush, netflix, flixster, nexia all work great. Like native IMO

Do you happen to have an ipad or mac still logged into imessage somewhere? When I used to use an iphone and would switch back and forth between another phone - if someone would imessage me it would fail to deliver if I had imessage switched off. They would then know to resend as a text. Not sure why it is different for different people.
    Actually yes I do. That could be the problem! Thanks so much for reminding me and hopefully this will fix it.
    01-18-14 08:47 AM
    Not sure why you believe the iMessage problem is a BlackBerry problem. It's Apple that has the problems turning it off it seems
    CerveloJohn, RedFoxOne and zlatno like this.
    01-18-14 08:56 AM
    Not sure why you believe the iMessage problem is a BlackBerry problem. It's Apple that has the problems turning it off it seems
    Where did I say it was a Blackberry problem? I just said it was a problem.
    01-18-14 09:04 AM
    Please move thread to imore:]

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:13 AM
    That iMessage sounds like a pain in the arse! Another to drive users up a wall when they switch so they get annoyed and run right back.
    01-18-14 09:21 AM
    That iMessage sounds like a pain in the arse! Another to drive users up a wall when they switch so they get annoyed and run right back.
    It's really not bad. Just unregister all of your devices associated with the iMessage account and you're good
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-18-14 09:26 AM
    I took my phone number off of iMessage and did the necessary stuff online to un register my number when I switched from my iPhone. It took a few hours but after that I never had any issues. Dunno why it still sends messages to your iMessage account after a week :s

- Developer of PinGuin
    pungster likes this.
    01-18-14 09:29 AM
    I have always turned off imessage in the settings before charging phones and it has allowed all text to come to the new phone. If you have an ipad or mac and have imessage on there you will want to remove your phone number in the settings. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:35 AM
    I have been switching phones like crazy before the Q10. Never had a problem with iMessage force sending to my number leading to unreceived messages.

Was your sim card active and in your iPhone when you turned off iMessage from your iPhone?
    01-18-14 09:47 AM
    I have been switching phones like crazy before the Q10. Never had a problem with iMessage force sending to my number leading to unreceived messages.

Was your sim card active and in your iPhone when you turned off iMessage from your iPhone?
    No it wasn't. I think that was part of the problem too. Thanks!
    01-18-14 09:55 AM
    Please move thread to imore:]

Posted via CB10
    That's real helpful, thanks!
    01-18-14 09:55 AM
    I read somewhere in the thread now you can login to google maps
    install google play service and google login service if I remember correctly

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 10:02 AM
    Please forgive this stupid question but regarding your SalesForce app? Does it not synch tasks, etc with your native calendar? I have not used the app myself but was just wondering....

Connect to Salesforce for BlackBerry 10 Gets an Update | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    RedFoxOne likes this.
    01-18-14 10:10 AM
    I went into my settings on the iPhone and entered a fake phone number (only on the phone) so that iMessage would be forced to send via carrier SMS vs Apple's own server system. It seemed to work. Tons of people I know have had similar problems switching away from iPhones ever since imessage began...obviously Apple hasn't fixed it so it must be intentional.

Regarding apps, I still have my old iPhone kicking around to use as a wifi (or hotspot)app machine if I want, but there's almost nothing I care for on it anymore and it drives me nuts trying to swipe the bezels etc until I remember about the id*ot button on the bottom, lol.

24C28DD7
    01-18-14 10:17 AM
    Please forgive this stupid question but regarding your SalesForce app? Does it not synch tasks, etc with your native calendar? I have not used the app myself but was just wondering....

Connect to Salesforce for BlackBerry 10 Gets an Update | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    Oh my god, I didn't even know that app existed. I saw it and thought it was some generic version like I've seen before in Apple's App Store before they came out with Salesforce1. Thank you so much and I'll shut up about apps now. Thank you again!!
    RedFoxOne and sam81 like this.
    01-18-14 10:26 AM
    I have dealt with moving from a iPhone 4 to Q10 for my work device.

Yes, you can log on and unregister your Apple ID from your number. Make sure it's not associated. In addition to turning off iMessage, there is another step to take.

I had posted this in the CB forums a while back for anyone making the switch. You now have to call Apple and they must remove the number off THEIR side in order for SMS to restore and work properly. Apple started doing this recently last year after the new 5S and 5C launched. It's a pain in the *** really and the CSR agreed it was cumbersome and as a result, Apple gets a lot more customer service calls. Nice people to talk to but frustrating. Even when you try to leave Apple, they still make you come back for something.

Since I'm in Canada, it may be handled differently. Regardless, here are the phone numbers to reach Apple support (As they dont make them EASY to find on their site):

United States
    1-800-275-2273

Canada
    1-800-263-3394

The guy will deregister your number, will send you a SMS to your device which has a code they will need. Give the CSR the code received via SMS and wait 10 minutes for the servers to update. Should work after that but can take up to an hour (45 mins with me).
    bungaboy and Brandon Orr like this.
    01-18-14 10:26 AM
    I view the iMessage situation with a lot of ex- iPhone users here as an IOS problem and it is sad that BB10 tends to get blamed for IOS closed ecosystem . Completely understand about Sales force app and maybe u should have an iPhone dedicated to work only. Unless u need to be connected with work after hours. All the best.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-18-14 10:36 AM
    i have had the same problem... when i got my z10 i just took sim out of iphone and put it in... i get texts from everyone but iphone users...they keep going to my iphone.. i turned off imessage which seems to have stoped me getting texts to the iphone but i just don't get the texts ... nice job apple...
    01-18-14 10:39 AM
    I find this humorous, it seems switching from iphone is so simple just 6 easy steps, if you can navigate your way to the correct webpage. People call this easy. On the other hand everyone complains how the average consumer cant load leaks or sideload android apps on their bb10 device, i find this to be similarly as easy. A list of instructions is a list of instructions.

This was not meant as an attack on you avt, i just wanted to use your quote as a reference.

It's really not bad. Just unregister all of your devices associated with the iMessage account and you're good
    01-18-14 11:04 AM
33 12