It's weird. I never wanted a blakcberry until the recent BB10 phones. When everyone else around me had a blackberry back in 2007-2008 I never saw the appeal of Blackberry, especially since it didn't have any of the cool apps, etc. At least that's how I thought way back then. After owning an Apple iPhone 4 as my first smartphone for over 2 years I was really just looking for a smartphone that could help me get work done, and provide a little bit of play as well. For me, social networking and emailing is the most important.

So when I heard of the new BB10 devices, I was really excited to switch over to BB for the first time ever. Going on two months now, I've never been happier. Granted, ofcourse the lack of some apps is a bit of annoyance (like a good stable running app & Shazam/Soundhound) but I expected that and given those are the only things i'm missing i'm pretty pleased. But I really didn't make this post to talk about my experience, as there's enough threads about that.

I want to talk about my experience with people that have been faithful to Blackberry through the storm and those who haven't. I've been noticing that a lot of people who were on Blackberry for the past 3 years are switching away, despite the new BB10 phones. When I first got my Z10 there were a bunch of key contacts that still had BBs which was great. These were people that I always never understood why they were holding on to their BB when everyone else was ditching them. But recently within the past two months it seems like this key segment of BB users are switching. I think it has to do with their frustration over the past 3 years or so (i'm assuming they just kept the device because they got it on contract and didn't upgrade the device until now). I think Blackberry is going to actually have a VERY hard time holding onto these existing costumers who have been dealing with BB stumbling over the past while. It comes down to distrust, I believe. A lot of these ppl have been watching other ppl experiencing a wide array of different apps, and I feel like they just want to switch it up, even if the key apps get onto BB10. I've been praising my Z10 like crazy to these people and they were really interested, but I guess they were left out of the loop for so long without Instagram and that other stuff, that they want to switch and see what all the fuss is about. ***edit** forgot to add that basically all these ppl that left went with Android phones that were cheaper.

On the other hand, a lot of friends who have been on Android and iPhone have been switching over to BB recently because of the new BB10 phones. A lot of these people are previous BB users from way back, as well as ppl like me who never wanted one previously.

It's a really awkward feeling, having my BBM contact list have a bunch of new people come, but at the same time just as many leave. From my experience I don't really know whether BB will improve marketshare, just based on my own observations. Of course statistically speaking this has no relevance to the overall performance of BB marketshare, but my friends were pretty good indicators of previous trends in smartphones.

What do you think?

Background info: I'm in Canada. Early 20s university demographic.
    04-26-13 03:48 PM
    I kinda see what you're saying. Long time BlackBerry users who aren't hard core CrackBerry readers may leave even with bb10 up because the guy at best buy or whatever is telling g them they need to get a DROID or iphone. I think people who are more versed with the smart phone market and know the power of bb10 will come to bb10. They just need to get all the big apps over and step up marketing even more. That will bring over the average Joe

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    04-26-13 04:10 PM
    I couldn't agree more. I am in my late 30s in Houston TX and those friends of mine who have had BlackBerry for the last few years are all switching away. It doesn't matter how much I praise BB10 or what I demo to them, all they know is that they want a Samsung or iPhone.

Unfortunately I can't say I have seen anyone switching to the Z10. It may be just the circles I am keeping (which is quite older than yours). Let's hope the younger folks keep switching back.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 04:35 PM
    Completely agree.

The reason: Product Cycle & Purchaser Profiles

Trend Setters had already grown bored of their iphones & Androids, and are looking for the Next Hit. Thus, they have found BB10.

The Herd & Late Comers had recently just left or about to leave BB because they now (finally) think iPhone & Samsungs are all the rage, not realizing the cool kids have moved on.

Just follow the jeans and styling and you'll get the picture. I've been saying it forever now - I know a 50 year old paunchy guy - the antithesis of 'cool' who just left BB and got an iPhone 5 and is not walking around with it smug feeling super cool.
    pili4 and Brandon Orr like this.
    04-26-13 05:18 PM
    Completely agree.

The reason: Product Cycle & Purchaser Profiles

Trend Setters had already grown bored of their iphones & Androids, and are looking for the Next Hit. Thus, they have found BB10.

The Herd & Late Comers had recently just left or about to leave BB because they now (finally) think iPhone & Samsungs are all the rage, not realizing the cool kids have moved on.

Just follow the jeans and styling and you'll get the picture. I've been saying it forever now - I know a 50 year old paunchy guy - the antithesis of 'cool' who just left BB and got an iPhone 5 and is not walking around with it smug feeling super cool.
    Exactly what I'm thinking I see a bunch of senior citizens getting iphones now, I feel much like you that it's a bunch of the late comers. Which is the same trend that happened with the BlackBerry before.

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    04-26-13 09:01 PM