In spite of your age and the big emancipation that eventually comes along with it, you still live at home and that leaves you subject to your parents rules.

It sounds like you're already having a good part of your expenses taken care of for you and maybe your mother seeing you already with a phone and knowing your monthly income doesn't want you to take on any more expenses.

With the figures you posted as it stands right now you better hope you don't have an emergency, like it was said earlier.

Getting the new BB would be cool no doubt but if you wanted to show your mother how responsible you can be than show her you know the value of a dollar and let the issue die. Save some money in the meantime and then get the latest BB after waiting while you save to the point of being comfortable with the expense. That's what your mother will remember about you in terms of being responsible, not that you ran out to spend xx dollars when you couldn't afford it.

I didn't like how you called your mother ignorant, maybe it was just the wrong choice of words but she's probably not calling you that anywhere on line!?

Sometimes waiting is better than hurrying out and getting current but maybe you know that.
    I did not like him calling her ignorant either. I am going to believe he meant it in the true sense of the word---not knowing----versus how it is misused daily.
    09-10-09 12:07 PM
    PM me with your mom's number and I will talk to her about this issue, lol
    09-10-09 12:21 PM
    shouldn't it be point, game, match?

that's how tennis is scored last i knew lol
    "Game, Set, Match" is the expression.

To buddy who wants his mom to pay for his phone: what you fail to realize is she's footing most of your bills. So, even if you 'pay' the extra $30, you'll just mooch that money back in other ways, whether it's food, clothing, entertainment, etc. In essence, she's paying the extra $30.

Like others have said, man up and get your own phone.
    09-10-09 12:26 PM
    2 words- blackmail

dude.
    09-10-09 12:30 PM
    His mother should pay for his phone and stop whining. After all, that is what parents are for. He didn't ask to be brought into this world. He didn't ask to have it rough in this bad economy. So keeping that in mind his mother should be kissing his **** and go with the bb for him.

P.S NEVER EVER call your mother names, no matter what it is. She deserves the respect of being your mother and a loving parent. You should apologize to the people reading this thread for calling her ignorant.

"Game, Set, Match" is the expression.

To buddy who wants his mom to pay for his phone: what you fail to realize is she's footing most of your bills. So, even if you 'pay' the extra $30, you'll just mooch that money back in other ways, whether it's food, clothing, entertainment, etc. In essence, she's paying the extra $30.

Like others have said, man up and get your own phone.
    Last edited by tmp3150; 09-10-09 at 12:39 PM.
    09-10-09 12:37 PM
    First off no 18 yr old needs a $20k car. It is ridiculous at your age to be wasting $400 a month. At your age its smarter to be socking money away in investments because its that many more years you have on the rest of us for compounding interest. Your parents have already let you commit financial suicide. My guess is they are cosigned on your car and are worried about having to make your payments someday. How about you sell the car, get a $10k car and then you can afford a lot more stuff. That car is killing you.

Also take $10 and go to DaveRamsey.com and buy a Total Money Makeover book. At 10yrs older than you I wish I had the knowledge I have now at your age. Debt is no fun!
    09-10-09 12:46 PM
    Bottom line. You live in her house under her roof and she can still tell you how
    to spend your money.

Thank lord satan I don't have any kids to have to deal with this kind of stuff.
    09-10-09 12:51 PM
    People keep giving advice....
    He isnt here anymore haha. let the thread die.
    09-10-09 01:13 PM
    I went to bed at 3am and just caught up on all the posts. This thread went from epic fail to just plain hilarious.
    09-10-09 01:16 PM
    People keep giving advice....
    He isnt here anymore haha. let the thread die.
    I wonder, in this age of technology, if he might be able to still read this thread at some point when he actually is here, like in the future.

Now wouldn't that be something...
    09-10-09 01:17 PM
    Your leasing a car? Just go get a junker for 1200 or so.
    Anyways, it sounds like. You've got no other choice but the back massage.
    Do you have a girlfriend? (this us need to know info)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 01:23 PM
    When I was 16 I had a Ford Explorer worth 30k that my parents bought for me. There is nothing wrong with being spoiled.
    09-10-09 01:28 PM
    His mother should pay for his phone and stop whining. After all, that is what parents are for. He didn't ask to be brought into this world. He didn't ask to have it rough in this bad economy. So keeping that in mind his mother should be kissing his **** and go with the bb for him.

P.S NEVER EVER call your mother names, no matter what it is. She deserves the respect of being your mother and a loving parent. You should apologize to the people reading this thread for calling her ignorant.
    Wow! Not many posts rasie a red flag, but this one has written all over it. It's almost as if fresh water spewed out of a salt water tap. C'mon, are you serious? Is this thread bi-polar?

He has a gas card for life from the death of his Grandpa...his mom is paying his College tuition, room/board...and allowing him to live with her. As parents we are required to provide shelter, food, and clothing. You're lucky if you get loved, aknowledged, and attention. He's lucky he's not in Africa walking 2-hours to find water to bring home every day to the family, they didn't ask for that either. The Op is upset over his mom not paying the additional money for his phone. My hope is that someday this Op will look back at his thread and see the selfishness in this post. Obviously, his mom and dad love him a great deal.

To the Op: If you want the phone that bad, sacrifice with a lower car payment. If you want the phone that bad, find another job that pays a little more that 550/month. If you want the phone that bad pimp yourself out..ok, maybe that was a bit much but you know what I'm getting at. The best things are earned; that is why they mean so much. You really sound like a great young man, just selfish motives. When your car breaks down, the need is for it to be fixed. When you get sick, the need is for a doctor to see you and a bill payment method...When you move into your dorm, you'll probably need some linen, bathroom commodoties, lava lamps , but those are wants...cause all you really need is the roof over your head and running water...everything else is secondary. Your phone works right? Well, your need for communication is met. You just want some bling-bling.

Nothing is wrong with you going out and getting the phone yourself...just know that you may incur serious credit problems when you can't pay your bills and you may have to sacrifice food and partying because your swamped in payments for a phone bill that you'll barely use anyway because you'll be in college and most professors frown on the use of phones in classes. Save your moms money. She'll need it to pay for your food, insurance, and clothing...cause you will not have enough after your car payment.

Love your mom, she really does spoil you.
    09-10-09 01:58 PM
    If you got to pay your phone bill anyways and if you know you can keep up with your bill then get your own contract honestly if your tryen to save money id go with sprint.
    09-10-09 02:20 PM
    Wow, never in my life have I seen somebody get bashed so badly for such a little thing. As far as I'm concerned parents don't have to pay for your school, car, phone, car insurance, etc. But when they do and you have a job the money you make is extra money, none of you know how much money he has saved in his bank account for emergencies, I don't see the problem in him wanting to get the Tour and pay the extra $30 a month for the data. I know that ever since I've gotten the data plan it has helped out with school and has tremendously cut down on how much I have to carry around my laptop.

He asked for help convincing his parents it might be a good idea to get the phone, not for criticism, cut him some slack, you were his age once, and no you didn't have that phone or technology but that's just the way things are.
    09-10-09 02:44 PM
    but i am with verizon remember and i am not going to switch
    ??? I'm on Verizon and I have a Curve.

Do you plan on traveling out of the country a lot? If not, you don't need the Tour. It is a phone designed for business people who travel out of the country.

I just bought my first BB Curve in July and it works flawlessly for me. I would suggest looking at it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 03:02 PM
    Close. This. Thread. Mods. PLEASE.
    09-10-09 03:23 PM
    When I was 16 I had a Ford Explorer worth 30k that my parents bought for me. There is nothing wrong with being spoiled.
    there is nothing wrong with being spoiled if you are appreciative and understand what it takes to spoil someone. MOST spoiled people are not appreciative nor do they realize it takes hard work to spoil someone therefore THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH BEING SPOILED. SPOILED KIDS GROW UP TO BE LAZY BUMS YOU THINK EVERYTHING SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THEM SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY BREATH.
    09-10-09 03:32 PM
    Mods are out on happy hour at a location where there is no service
    09-10-09 03:32 PM
    its ok, dude... my wife barely lets me keep my BB. My excuse.... it keeps me interested at work...

but that may not work too well with your mom.
    09-10-09 03:43 PM

Wow! Not many posts rasie a red flag, but this one has written all over it. It's almost as if fresh water spewed out of a salt water tap. C'mon, are you serious? Is this thread bi-polar?

He has a gas card for life from the death of his Grandpa...his mom is paying his College tuition, room/board...and allowing him to live with her. As parents we are required to provide shelter, food, and clothing. You're lucky if you get loved, aknowledged, and attention. He's lucky he's not in Africa walking 2-hours to find water to bring home every day to the family, they didn't ask for that either. The Op is upset over his mom not paying the additional money for his phone. My hope is that someday this Op will look back at his thread and see the selfishness in this post. Obviously, his mom and dad love him a great deal.

To the Op: If you want the phone that bad, sacrifice with a lower car payment. If you want the phone that bad, find another job that pays a little more that 550/month. If you want the phone that bad pimp yourself out..ok, maybe that was a bit much but you know what I'm getting at. The best things are earned; that is why they mean so much. You really sound like a great young man, just selfish motives. When your car breaks down, the need is for it to be fixed. When you get sick, the need is for a doctor to see you and a bill payment method...When you move into your dorm, you'll probably need some linen, bathroom commodoties, lava lamps , but those are wants...cause all you really need is the roof over your head and running water...everything else is secondary. Your phone works right? Well, your need for communication is met. You just want some bling-bling.

Nothing is wrong with you going out and getting the phone yourself...just know that you may incur serious credit problems when you can't pay your bills and you may have to sacrifice food and partying because your swamped in payments for a phone bill that you'll barely use anyway because you'll be in college and most professors frown on the use of phones in classes. Save your moms money. She'll need it to pay for your food, insurance, and clothing...cause you will not have enough after your car payment.

Love your mom, she really does spoil you.
    Yeah I'm gonna have to agree completely with this.

Um TMP, Uh no...just no. You are wrong on that statement in every way possible. The kissing you have suggested needs to be in the opposite direction.
    09-10-09 05:37 PM
    TBH, I don't think you can afford this. You only make $550 a month. Currently your stand at $400 expenses. Things happen.
    09-10-09 05:49 PM
    lol @ the OP... if u only make $550 a month ur not gonna be able to afford... remember u go over ur limit it costs more... so u might spend $100+ more on top of what ur original amount is...
    09-10-09 06:06 PM
    So I just turned 33 and my mom wont let me get a FHONIE either. I've been living in her basement since I was 13. She always fusses at me because I wont get a jub. If I work to earn monies how will I still have time to play WOW?!? Help me make her get me a BlackBerries........

P.S. That is not serious! sorry just had to post something. Kids will be kids he wont see how much he doesn't have to pay until he's gone. i'm sure his parents could drown him in the debt he creates daily, and all he can see is he isn't allowed to get a new phone. Been there in those shoes, and looking back I DIDN'T NEED THE PHONE!
    09-10-09 06:12 PM
    So I just turned 33 and my mom wont let me get a FHONIE either. I've been living in her basement since I was 13. She always fusses at me because I wont get a jub. If I work to earn monies how will I still have time to play WOW?!? Help me make her get me a BlackBerries........

P.S. That is not serious! sorry just had to post something. Kids will be kids he wont see how much he doesn't have to pay until he's gone. i'm sure his parents could drown him in the debt he creates daily, and all he can see is he isn't allowed to get a new phone. Been there in those shoes, and looking back I DIDN'T NEED THE PHONE!
    Very well said.
    09-10-09 06:20 PM
157 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD