Ok, i know i sound like a little kid but i am infact 18. I also know this is my first post but i have been a frequent Crackberryer (word??) for a year or so....

so my mom says she wont let me get a blackberry tour from verizon in about a month. Yes i have to pay 400 dollars a month for my car but i make like 550 a month so can easily pay for the fone and the extra 30 dollars a month...

but she keeps saying no.... even though i can easily buy the fone and pay for it!

i said i need it for school and stuff, which i do, but still its futile.

what are some good reasons to get one that might make my ignorant mom realize that i should have one??

THANKS!!!
    09-10-09 01:33 AM
    Well tell your mom she can get one too with VZW's bogo. Then she can see how good it is.
    09-10-09 01:35 AM
    Well tell your mom she can get one too with VZW's bogo. Then she can see how good it is.
    that would work except her main problem is the money thing i think.... but maybe she will go for the bogo thing if i say i can just sell the extra one for money to help with the payment??
    09-10-09 01:38 AM
    get an 8330. its cheaper. she will be proud of you since you can save the money ....
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-10-09 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Content moderation
    09-10-09 01:38 AM
    its not the initial cost its that $30 a month cost

and well dont tell my mom but i got a separate account for that dictoresno
    09-10-09 01:44 AM
    I guess you should ask your mother why she is not supportive of you wanting a BB.

Not to be rude, but parents are usually pretty hip to when their kids are not going to be paying for something or cannot truly afford it. I think you need to ask your mother what her reasoning is and what you can do to prove to her that you are responsible.

The reality is you don't NEED this device; you just want it badly. Most new phones all have calendar/task/notepad/alarm clocks functions. Even the advanced devices (env3, lotus, envtouch, rogue) can have mobile web and email.

What all do you even know about the device? There is an entire section on these forums for the Tour with all the tips/tricks/issues etc. To me, (and again, please dont take this the wrong way) it sounds like you just want the hottest device and have no idea why its really extra functional for you.
    09-10-09 01:44 AM
    How about... saving the extra cash? Your bill will end up costing like $100/month, and once school hits you'll probably end up getting some hours cut... hellooooo, financial troubles.

If you can truly afford it though, get your own plan, and go for it!
    09-10-09 01:46 AM
    its not the initial cost its that $30 a month cost

and well dont tell my mom but i got a separate account for that dictoresno
    ahhh i didnt realize you were referring to the BB plan cost per month vs. the initial cost. one of the hardest things sometimes is convincing anyone why a $30/month data plan is necessary. there were a few good threads ive seen in the past regarding this issue where the OP wants to convince their parents to let them get one. might have to check for the thread, there was some decent pro/con advice in there. only you know your mom the best and how to convince her why you need it. but im sure, unless its for business, its gonna be hard to convince your parents you need it at your age.
    09-10-09 01:48 AM
    What she doesn't know won't hurt! Just go get a BB!
    09-10-09 01:48 AM
    You say you are 18. It is no longer up to your mother what you can and can not arrord.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 01:49 AM
    either way, you are 18 and may do as you wish. but if you find yourself in financial troubles, good luck getting them to help. when i was your age, i had a used car i bought for cheap. maybe you wanna take a look into other finances? $400/month for a car? what kinda car are you spending that much money for at 18? thats alot of dough. they let you get a car for $400 a month and are giving u crap over a $30/month data plan?? come on.
    09-10-09 01:51 AM
    You say you are 18. It is no longer up to your mother what you can and can not arrord.

It is if he is on her plan.

The OP should then go into Vzw or Sprint, and open his own account if he truly and absolutely needs and wants the Tour.
    09-10-09 01:51 AM
    I guess you should ask your mother why she is not supportive of you wanting a BB.

Not to be rude, but parents are usually pretty hip to when their kids are not going to be paying for something or cannot truly afford it. I think you need to ask your mother what her reasoning is and what you can do to prove to her that you are responsible.

The reality is you don't NEED this device; you just want it badly. Most new phones all have calendar/task/notepad/alarm clocks functions. Even the advanced devices (env3, lotus, envtouch, rogue) can have mobile web and email.

What all do you even know about the device? There is an entire section on these forums for the Tour with all the tips/tricks/issues etc. To me, (and again, please dont take this the wrong way) it sounds like you just want the hottest device and have no idea why its really extra functional for you.
    i know exactly what u mean. and yes it being "the hottest device" does help. and i have researched this fone any possible moment i can. be it internet or in a verizon store.

i have watched every video review i can find! I have read every magazine article about it and even look at sales it has at places like Best Buy.

and yes most new fones have all these things but the blackberry just does it the best! Its like how THere are new tv's poppin up everywhere! expensive ones. but wont your old tv do the same thing? yes but the new one does it and more BETTER!

my main reason is battery, because i currently have the samsung glyde REFRESH and it is terrible on battery! litteraly last 6 hours with moderate use and 7 on standbye (i have tested it)

and i think i already prove how responsible i am by being a full time college student and working to pay my car and cell fone bill as it is! i dont know what else to do!

get her drunk and make her sign something??
    09-10-09 01:52 AM
    blackberries arent exactly know for their amazing battery life.
    09-10-09 01:53 AM
    either way, you are 18 and may do as you wish. but if you find yourself in financial troubles, good luck getting them to help. when i was your age, i had a used car i bought for cheap. maybe you wanna take a look into other finances? $400/month for a car? what kinda car are you spending that much money for at 18? thats alot of dough. they let you get a car for $400 a month and are giving u crap over a $30/month data plan?? come on.
    well i am on my parents plan and they pay for the fone bill but i pay for unlimited texting... $20

oh and haha sorry i pay $200 for my car and $200 for insurance... and they MADE me buy a new car because my mom was worried because i got in a bad wreck with my old used car. The cars back axle literally broke while driving!!

and ur right they dont give a crap-o-la about 400 dollars but 430? oh **** no
    09-10-09 01:56 AM
    What she doesn't know won't hurt! Just go get a BB!
    i agree!!
    09-10-09 01:57 AM
    What BlackBerry are you using anyhow? Mine lasts longer than any iPhone or the new Pre.

09-10-09 01:57 AM
    If you can truly afford it though, get your own plan, and go for it!
    Yup, Tell mom you want to take on more responsibility and get your own plan in your own name to help yourself build more credit for yourself.

If your good you might be able to convince her to give you the money she saves on her bill to you, so you can use it toward your bill.

Just a thought.
    09-10-09 01:59 AM
    i have done my researched and they last on the average about 10 or so hours! and i have a few friends with the curve/storm who all get 12ish!

when my current fone last less than 7 hours on STANDBYE... huge upgrade
    09-10-09 01:59 AM
    i know exactly what u mean. and yes it being "the hottest device" does help. and i have researched this fone any possible moment i can. be it internet or in a verizon store.

i have watched every video review i can find! I have read every magazine article about it and even look at sales it has at places like Best Buy.

and yes most new fones have all these things but the blackberry just does it the best! Its like how THere are new tv's poppin up everywhere! expensive ones. but wont your old tv do the same thing? yes but the new one does it and more BETTER!

my main reason is battery, because i currently have the samsung glyde REFRESH and it is terrible on battery! litteraly last 6 hours with moderate use and 7 on standbye (i have tested it)

and i think i already prove how responsible i am by being a full time college student and working to pay my car and cell fone bill as it is! i dont know what else to do!

get her drunk and make her sign something??
    I understand you claim to have done your research....Did you look at the Tour thread on this site? Users have claimed several battery issues; most ppl consider the Curve to have the best battery life.

Not to be entirely rude again, but you pay your car...are you paying rent? Are you paying for your school? You obviously are on some family plan with Verizon...your additional line at most could cost $29.99/mo, and thats if you are on the Premium plan (with a minute limit set, not unlimited minutes). You have made the choice to have a car payment of approximately $400 dollars when you said before you make $550/mo. So in the real world, you are leaving yourself $150/mo for all your other needs. So with (and this is assuming your add a line cost is $9.99/mo with the $30 BB feature), you'd be looking around $50 with tax. So you're leaving exactly $100 for the rest of the month. What if you have car troubles? What if you have an emergency?

I get your point, but again...you clearly have not done your research. You are wanting a member on here to tell you why this phone is going to be valuable for you. You should already have your reasons. Parents know their children; I guarantee your mom sees through whatever excuses you're trying to pull out of the hat.

And so if you purchase a Tour, and pay your $400 car payment/expenses, and the Tour is $250...how are you going to pay for that? Yes, there is a $100 Mail-In Rebate, but how are you going to pay for the phone initially?
    09-10-09 02:00 AM
    Yup, Tell mom you want to take on more responsibility and get your own plan in your own name to help yourself build more credit for yourself.

If your good you might be able to convince her to give you the money she saves on her bill to you, so you can use it toward your bill.

Just a thought.
    the thing is; and i dont wanna sound like a user or anything but i guarentee if i get off my moms plan she wont help one bit with opening another line...

so my only real option is to talk her into letting me pay for a blackberry my self on her plan
    09-10-09 02:02 AM
    Ok, i know i sound like a little kid but i am infact 18. I also know this is my first post but i have been a frequent Crackberryer (word??) for a year or so....

so my mom says she wont let me get a blackberry tour from verizon in about a month. Yes i have to pay 400 dollars a month for my car but i make like 550 a month so can easily pay for the fone and the extra 30 dollars a month...

but she keeps saying no.... even though i can easily buy the fone and pay for it!

i said i need it for school and stuff, which i do, but still its futile.

what are some good reasons to get one that might make my ignorant mom realize that i should have one??

THANKS!!!
    Do you still live at home? If so, then you are out of luck. All these posts that say you are 18 are worthless if you parents are paying your bills. Your mother is trying to demonstrate to you that it's not as easy as you think the math is. Yes you have a $400 car payment and make $550 a month BUT you need to subtract your fuel costs, food costs for eating out for lunch, entertainment expenses for hanging out with the friends. That $150 will go very quickly and your mom obviously doesn't want to get stuck paying for a BB data plan for 2 years when you realize you can't afford it. Be thankfull you have a rentfree place to live. You will have plenty of time to spend your money the way you want once you are out and on your own.

If you are out on your own and paying your own way, which I doubt at $550 monthly income then do what you want, but remember, bad credit SUCKS.
    09-10-09 02:04 AM
    the thing is; and i dont wanna sound like a user or anything but i guarentee if i get off my moms plan she wont help one bit with opening another line...

so my only real option is to talk her into letting me pay for a blackberry my self on her plan
    Um...listen...the reality is you cant afford the phone. You're 18 and say you're responsible but you need help starting a new line of service? You don't want to be called a user, but you also don't want to do anything for yourself except just pay for the data. Also, the data doesn't include your texting...so wouldn't you be paying $50 plus tax or your texting and data?
    09-10-09 02:04 AM
    I understand you claim to have done your research....Did you look at the Tour thread on this site? Users have claimed several battery issues; most ppl consider the Curve to have the best battery life.

Not to be entirely rude again, but you pay your car...are you paying rent? Are you paying for your school? You obviously are on some family plan with Verizon...your additional line at most could cost $29.99/mo, and thats if you are on the Premium plan (with a minute limit set, not unlimited minutes). You have made the choice to have a car payment of approximately $400 dollars when you said before you make $550/mo. So in the real world, you are leaving yourself $150/mo for all your other needs. So with (and this is assuming your add a line cost is $9.99/mo with the $30 BB feature), you'd be looking around $50 with tax. So you're leaving exactly $100 for the rest of the month. What if you have car troubles? What if you have an emergency?

I get your point, but again...you clearly have not done your research. You are wanting a member on here to tell you why this phone is going to be valuable for you. You should already have your reasons. Parents know their children; I guarantee your mom sees through whatever excuses you're trying to pull out of the hat.

And so if you purchase a Tour, and pay your $400 car payment/expenses, and the Tour is $250...how are you going to pay for that? Yes, there is a $100 Mail-In Rebate, but how are you going to pay for the phone initially?
    its funny how just one of your sentences better argues the point for me NOT to get one.

but i have read a bunch of threads on the tour part and they have also said to be the GREEN DOT tours and now just the new ones with all of the problems fixed... ala battery cover/trackball/screen/etc...

and yes i just thought you guys would have some very good pro's and cons about a blackberry (which u do) and maybe someone had the same problem and got it resolved positively.

well the initial cost is covered with a visa giftcard i got from my work for employee of the year (i know i know ) its for $200... and in the best buy adds it goes for $100!! so if im on her plan i still got $100 to pocket...

and i dont pay rent i live with my parents till next year i move and go to UofA... my parents already have my college fund set so i have dorm and tuition payed for and i am still gonna apply for scholarships (im left handed yay!)

and yes in the real world my income is nowhere near sufficient enought, but ima college student and will find a better job and then in the future my career.

oh and one more thing the curve may have the best battery im not going to argue that... but i am with verizon remember and i am not going to switch
    09-10-09 02:11 AM
    If you want the tour bad enough, get it yourself. Save your money and get your own phone line. If you don't have 'enough' credit, be prepared for a rather large down payment or deposit.

09-10-09 02:15 AM
157 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD