Yesterday morning when I woke up, I had received an email from MobiHand Customer Support stating my Device ID had been updated to 327376DD which, for those that don't know, would be your BlackBerry's PIN.

Well, that is NOT my BB's PIN so I replied back to Customer Support at MobiHand letting them know that I did NOT personally make this request and to please change it back to my Torch's correct PIN (which for obvious reasons I'm not going write here). Customer Support responded back to my email letting me know they fixed it and advised me to change my password at their website for my account. So of course, I did...immediately!

After that issue occurred, I decided that it couldn't hurt to update my password at the numerous websites I have accounts on. I like to every few months and figured what better time than now. So I did.

Today, life was going on as normal. I received an email from AppVerse on MobiHand stating my profile had been updated! I thought what the... I'm looking at the email which states: "Hello Joshua (screenname: Thunderrj )". Now, my name is Joshua and it came to the right email but whoever Thunderrj is had updated MY AppVerse profile with his username/screenname and profile picture! At this point I'm pretty pissed because I had just changed my password at MobiHand the day before! But, I changed it again and re-updated my AppVerse profile back to what it had been before which was my username/screenname Jleeblanch (which is what I use for just about everything) and changed the profile picture back to a picture of my choosing.

After changing my password and re-updating my AppVerse profile I'm really annoyed and confused because like I said, I just changed my password the day before. So again, I emailed support asking for help because at this point I didn't know what else to do! I even again changed a lot of my passwords at various websites just because.

As of right now, I haven't received any response from MobiHand yet (except for the auto-reply of course). This AppVerse issue happened earlier today.

Now, it's the evening (at least where I'm at anyway) and I just got ANOTHER email from MobiHand stating my Device ID has been updated to A0000015EB06DB. So now I'm really freaking out because in the last 24 hours I have changed my password for my account numerous times (as well as for numerous other account on various websites) and my MobiHand account is still being accessed and updated by someone or something else that IS NOT ME!! Honestly, I really don't know what else to do! I've made my passwords ridiculously long and complicated and use a different one for just about everything and yet, still, someone is able to hack my account and change my information!

I again replied to MobiHand's Customer Support email stating that I DID NOT REQUEST THIS PIN (Device ID) change and to please change it back. I also changed my password, again.

I'm currently waiting for a response from MobiHand and advised them that this issue is very serious and needs more attention than initially received. I know that it may take a little while for them to respond and that's not the issue, I want them to take their time and figure what the **** is going on with my account and or ways to fix it so it doesn't continue to happen! I have a lot of money invested in apps and themes I've purchased over the last couple years and would hate to see all that go to waste because of someone else!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to fix it or how was your situation handled?

Sorry if I'm ranting but I'm stressing out over this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    SITUATION UPDATE!

After working with MobiHand Support for the past couple days and them monitoring my account for suspicious activity, they (MobiHand) has come to the conclusion that it was NOT that my account had been hacked, but instead a bug within the AppVerse code. Below is a quote taken from the last email I received from MobiHand Support (specifically, Adriano):

Hey Joshua, so far from our investigations looks like this issue is caused by a bug in the AppVerse code, which in certain (rather rare) situations, causes some deviceid update request to get mixed up among users.

The request for your deviceid change was actually the one of another user. Similarly for the unexpected screnname change. We are working on tracking down these bugs to avoid them to happen in the future to other users.
    Needless to say, I feel a lot better about the situation and can't thank Adriano enough for working with me in getting this situation resolved and my account back to normal. I'm also glad to know that it wasn't that my account was hacked, and/or I was being personally targeted for whatever reason! AppVerse is a relatively new service and just like with anything else that's new, there is always the potential for bugs that nobody is yet aware of. It some times takes situations similar to mine to recognize and understand those bugs so that they may eventually be squashed!

Last but not least, MobiHand is an excellent service with outstanding Support to back it up! I gotta give Customer Support mad respect, spefically Adriano, for their help in figuring out my issue! Thank You

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Jleeblanch; 02-28-11 at 09:05 PM.
    02-26-11 07:26 PM
    yikes man...something funky is going on and I just hope they didn't get access to everybodies account. hopefully something can get resolved with your acct ASAP
    02-26-11 07:29 PM
    I know right! The situation is all too weird! I looked up the username Thunderrj on Twitter just to see if I could find anything more out about the person changing my account info and it was a match! What's odd tho is it was also the exact same profile picture used in my AppVerse account. Which kind of makes things even stranger because who would post their own picture on someone elses account they were hacking? That's just dumb if you ask me!

No word from MobiHand yet and I can't use my computer to do anything because it's installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 at the moment...

As soon as I get word, I'll let everyone know! Something is not right about this situation and hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of it!

02-26-11 07:39 PM
    I really hope this gets figured out soon because now a lot of the apps I have that are from MobiHand don't work now. They all say something like "Your license has been transferred to a new device".

This is SOOO irritating!

02-26-11 09:19 PM
    that sucks big time.
    02-26-11 09:32 PM
    Mobihand can move your stuff to a new account. You'll need a new email and password of course. Then just use your device pin. It may take a few days but you can request it.

02-26-11 10:40 PM
    Yea, I'm playing the waiting game right now. All the requests are in and I changed everything. Just sucks right now cuz a lot of my apps are free trial status right now until this gets fixed. As long as it does get fixed and stops happening, i'll be happy.

02-26-11 10:43 PM
    That's awful that this has happened to u. I've actually been unable to access my account at Mobihand for OVER A YEAR now and not one of those idiots can help me get back in. In fact, they don't even respond to my emails anymore and that's total BS bcuz they have access to my personal info and products that I have paid for. I still get emails from them when apps I've bought have been updated and such. I have no idea wat the issue is but its mind boggling that nobody can get me back into my account. Good luck.. I hope they can help YOU.

02-26-11 11:30 PM
    I'm not feeling very good about this situation at the moment because when I woke up this morning, the only response I've received from MobiHand so far is an email saying, "Thanks for your feedback, here are some discount coupons".

Are you kidding me? Ugh, WTF?!?

02-27-11 08:08 AM
    That's crazy man. It just goes to show that either their database is not very organized and run by someone that doesn't know what they are doing or their system is not secure and very unstable.
    02-27-11 08:35 AM
    As highly as everyone talks about MobiHand vs App World, I thought MobiHand would be a little better at this. Seems like to me that they need to monitor PIN changes a little better...maybe make it so a PIN change has to be verified by the user changing their PIN. An added touch of security.

I have 81 apps in my MobiHand Account, 68 are premium apps and themes I've paid for. It just sucks because any app that I have that requires a license to work now doesn't. MobiHand has been very good in the past with Customer Support and my fingers are crossed that they're just simply looking into the situation thoroughly. I'd really be pissed if I lose all my apps and themes I've purchased over the years. Probably enough to leave BlackBerry! It's that serious. I understand things happen and I haven't lost faith yet because it hasn't been 24 hours since.

02-27-11 09:22 AM
    Sorry to hear about the issues. Please let us know if the problem is resolved and how responsive mobihand is in assisting you to remedy the situation.
    02-27-11 09:49 AM
    Jleeblanch,

just a short note here to let you know we are checking what is going on with your account. We are very sensitive to anything related to security and we definitely want to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

If you have additional details to share, you are welcome to get in touch with me at "adriano at mobihand dot com".

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

- Adriano
    02-27-11 10:19 AM
    Thank You! I'm sending you an email after I write this post just to make you aware of things I've done on my end to help in this issue!

@DawgMan: I just receieved an @mention on Twitter saying basically the same thing Adriano just said. So it looks like they're on top of things!

To be honest, I didn't doubt MobiHand would look into this issue. It's just stressful knowing that someone else has managed to access personal information and it continuing to do so regardless of what I do on my end like change my password, etc.

02-27-11 10:53 AM
    Thank You! I'm sending you an email after I write this post just to make you aware of things I've done on my end to help in this issue!

@DawgMan: I just receieved an @mention on Twitter saying basically the same thing Adriano just said. So it looks like they're on top of things!

To be honest, I didn't doubt MobiHand would look into this issue. It's just stressful knowing that someone else has managed to access personal information and it continuing to do so regardless of what I do on my end like change my password, etc.

Your lucky that person didn't change the email address and password before you did. Or else this situation wouldve been much worse than it is now.

02-27-11 11:47 AM
    Did you try contacting this Wellington (Thunderrj) character and ask him what's up with hacking your account? Probably won't make a difference, but would be interesting what he has to say.
    02-27-11 12:08 PM
    No, I haven't tried contacting him...I've seriously thought about it tho!

Update on the situation: I've been in contact with support and we are working together to solve this issue. They have changed my PIN back so now my apps work again but I wouldn't quite say problem is solved just yet as I want to make sure this doesn't continue to happen.

But, as of right now I am feeling a little better about it because my account is MY account again!

I definitely appreciate MobiHand's help in figuring this whole mess out! I'm hoping they find out as to why this was happening and prevent it from happening to the next person. I feel likerhat how it goes with a lot of things in life. A bad situation happens to one person and/or many and then steps are taken to unsure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

This kind of thing could have happened to anyone. I use a tough password to crack and I'm sure many people, probably too many, use much easier passwords and it happened to me!

02-27-11 12:52 PM
    Scary. Glad to know MobiHand was able to help you out. I'm curious to know why that thunderj guy targeted you though.
    02-27-11 01:44 PM
    you'd think that after the initial email saying you didn't change your pin they'd look into more carefully when they did it a second time. That's just bad business security now.
    02-27-11 01:51 PM
    I have no idea why this guy would target me or if he actually was. Hard saying not knowing.

What's really sketchy about the whole situation is initially, no matter how many times I changed my password, it still happened! Also, my account on MobiHand has all my information, name, address, dob, credit card info...so this person potentially got what they may have been looking for, I don't know.

Hopefully MobiHand will look into changing the policy on switching devices/PIN's on your account, like maybe verifying with the user beforehand, I dunno.

Honestly, I just hope it's over and my problem is solved.

02-27-11 02:09 PM
    So far from our investigations looks like this issue has been triggered by a bug in the AppVerse code, which in certain (rather rare) situations, causes a device id update request to get mixed up among users.

A similar bug exists related to the unexpected change of screenname -- these appear to happen only in specific situations based on certain peculiarities on the users' account, which we are now looking into in order to make sure they won't happen in the future.

In regards to the users' accounts we traced to have initiated the change of device id and screen name on Jleeblanch's account, we have monitored them for suspicious activity for the past 24 hours and so far we didn't spot anything unusual. Same applies to Jleeblanch's account -- so far it appeared to remain in a "stable" state.

Last but not least, I just want to thank Jleeblanch for his helpful and constructive feedback on this thread as well as through the emails we exchanged. It really helped us in tracing back the sequence of events, and we are now in the process of reviewing critical appverse areas to prevent cross-account changes to happen again.

- Adriano
    02-28-11 08:12 PM
    So for the last couple days, I've been talking back and forth with Adriano at MobiHand Customer Support to try and get to the bottom of this situation. After numerous emails back and forth, I believe the issue has been solved and I wanted to post it so everyone knows. I'm also going to update my original post so that anyone who doesn't actually read this far into this thread knows the conclusion to my issue.

The issue wasn't that my account was hacked into but instead a bug within the AppVerse code that was causing a Device ID mixup between myself and another user. Below is a quote from the email from MH Support:

Hey Joshua, so far from our investigations looks like this issue is caused by a bug in the AppVerse code, which in certain (rather rare) situations, causes some deviceid update request to get mixed up among users.

The request for your deviceid change was actually the one of another user. Similarly for the unexpected screnname change. We are working on tracking down these bugs to avoid them to happen in the future to other users.
    I just wanted everyone else who reads this thread to know what was causing my issues. No reason for anyone to get spooked in thinking or believing MobiHand has been hacked. AppVerse is a fairly new service and like with any new service, there is always the potential for bugs that they aren't aware of. As you can see from the quote from the email I received, they are tracking down the bug(s) to unsure it doesn't happen again!

So at the end of the day, I gotta give mad respect to MobiHand Support (and spefically Adriano) for their awesome support in figuring this mess out! So have no fear, MobiHand is an excellent service with outstanding Support to back it up!

02-28-11 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD